Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 173140 times)

bugman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #420 on: January 27, 2023, 10:28:14 AM »
Louie dropped a new part today so obviously he is gunning for 2023 SOTY so watch out for 51 more parts, one every week.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #421 on: January 27, 2023, 10:37:00 AM »
I think it's high time all decks come with full dimensions listed.
Width, wheelbase, nose length, tail length, overall length, concave descriptor (eg-flat, mellow, steep, etc), even a descriptor of nose and tail steepness. All these measurements make a big difference whether people acknowledge it or not and it's insane that some of these attributes are practically never disclosed.

Everyone has had a deck that worked really, really well but when you buy one you think will be nearly identical it's just not the same. You can say "I like an 8.38 x 31.875" but even if you find another deck with those exact measurements, the next one might have a longer nose and shorter tail, which will totally change the physics of the "identical" deck and it won't feel remotely the same despite being "the same size".
If you don't give a shit, you don't have to look at it. They already have all that info so it'd just be a matter of taking 1 minute to type up a label.

INB4 "just measure yourself".
I'm not going to stand there at the local skate shop counter with a tape measure and angle gauge asking to see every deck.
Also, having all the measurements would make ordering decks far less of a gamble.
Steepness wouldn’t be reliable tho since that can differ by pressing

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #422 on: January 27, 2023, 10:58:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Width, wheelbase, nose length, tail length, overall length, concave descriptor (eg-flat, mellow, steep, etc), even a descriptor of nose and tail steepness. All these measurements make a big difference whether people acknowledge it or not and it's insane that some of these attributes are practically never disclosed.

Everyone has had a deck that worked really, really well but when you buy one you think will be nearly identical it's just not the same. You can say "I like an 8.38 x 31.875" but even if you find another deck with those exact measurements, the next one might have a longer nose and shorter tail, which will totally change the physics of the "identical" deck and it won't feel remotely the same despite being "the same size".
If you don't give a shit, you don't have to look at it. They already have all that info so it'd just be a matter of taking 1 minute to type up a label.

I'm not going to stand there at the local skate shop counter with a tape measure and angle gauge asking to see every deck.
Also, having all the measurements would make ordering decks far less of a gamble.
[close]

I know I'm throwing stones in a glass house here, but the skaters who are that neurotic about this kinda thing are a very vast minority. If you go to a crowded skatepark I'd venture that no more than 1/4 of them even know what a "wheelbase" is.

That's the biggest bummer of the whole thing. These are measurements that objectively impact the physics of your board, which effects pop, flick, foot placement, everything. But if you actually want to explore them and understand why some boards work better for you than others you're considered "neurotic", and people will actively oppose you and trash talk you just for being interested in and wanting access to that info.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #423 on: January 27, 2023, 11:03:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I know I'm throwing stones in a glass house here, but the skaters who are that neurotic about this kinda thing are a very vast minority. If you go to a crowded skatepark I'd venture that no more than 1/4 of them even know what a "wheelbase" is.
[close]

That's the biggest bummer of the whole thing. These are measurements that objectively impact the physics of your board, which effects pop, flick, foot placement, everything. But if you actually want to explore them and understand why some boards work better for you than others you're considered "neurotic", and people will actively oppose you and trash talk you just for being interested in and wanting access to that info.

lmao this must be so hard for you.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #424 on: January 27, 2023, 11:07:52 AM »
If it helps someone skate then go for it. I don’t care myself but it also won’t hurt me to ignore information I don’t need.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #425 on: January 27, 2023, 11:29:46 AM »

lmao this must be so hard for you.

Oh for fuck's sake, yeah I'm crying into my pillow every night.

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #426 on: January 27, 2023, 02:38:58 PM »
the better you are at a trick the less cool the trick looks
case in point: shane o neill

Lol, I couldn't agree with you less. Very nice unpopular opinion!

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #427 on: January 27, 2023, 02:55:54 PM »
Expand Quote
the better you are at a trick the less cool the trick looks
case in point: shane o neill
[close]

Lol, I couldn't agree with you less. Very nice unpopular opinion!

Sometimes folks who use skateboarding more as a personality than an activity get defensive when other skaters actually refine their skills and push their limits and bathe and wear clean clothes and stuff.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #428 on: January 27, 2023, 04:01:14 PM »
Roll-on grinds aren’t that easy. They feel weird and sketchy. Ollieing in gets a safer lock-in.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #429 on: January 27, 2023, 05:00:20 PM »
I think that people calling themselves "less gifted" than others really just haven't put the work in.
Sure there's gonna be some super special anatomically perfect guys that can take it further, but there's nothing keeping the average joe from learning most intermediate-difficult moves on whatever obstacles if they really want to.

I generally don't like calling anybody "gifted". Respect how much work they have put in.

boogs

« Reply #430 on: January 27, 2023, 06:50:28 PM »
Kung Fu Hustle is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #431 on: January 27, 2023, 06:53:33 PM »
Kung Fu Hustle is one of the greatest movies of all time.
Not for me personally. It marks the point of no return for Chinese cinema (as far as action type movies go)

KyleG

« Reply #432 on: January 27, 2023, 07:01:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Having fun on a skateboard is cool, being a skateboarder is lame as shit.
[close]

lets be real man, the only people who say this have never been a part of a solid crew before

Nah, I've got a solid group of people.

It's the people who make their entire personality about skating that are boring/annoying to be around.

If I'm being honest, it's just my area that my opinion applys to.

switchfakie

« Reply #433 on: January 27, 2023, 09:20:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Philly is just NYC with worse shoes and outfits.
[close]

Every dude in big ass DC's has you in their sights now.
[close]

Bring ‘em.  They’ll have to not trip on their clown shoes to catch me.
[close]

i know you’re joking but you would get absolutely houses at muni
[close]

That’s the beauty of talking shit anonymously on the internet for no reason.  Whatever get houses means.  I’m doing my best to infer it’s meaning from my context clues.
[close]

autocorrect hates slang due to apple’s caucasian west coast bias much like the skateboard industry
[close]

you talking shit about my homeboy tim cook. his autocorrect is accurate as fuck, i dont know what youre talking about. dont make me pull up and slap you with my thunder sock
[close]

Fr you would get absolutely housed if you said some shit like that in palo alto

fasho my g, nobody disrespects tim cook at palo alto

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #434 on: January 27, 2023, 10:01:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

In like 2009 I was buying new trucks, I told the guy I needed something to fit an 8.0 (ended up going with the first aces I ever saw). And this dude pops out the back like “YEAH, but how big is your wheelbase?!” Totally trying to test me. I was like “uhhh 14.25…” and he was totally shocked I knew, and was like applauding me… “kids never know their wheelbase these days! Wow! You’re really cool” I think he even bought me a beer haha no point to this story it was just kinda funny and awkward

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #435 on: January 28, 2023, 07:18:35 AM »
I think that people calling themselves "less gifted" than others really just haven't put the work in.
Sure there's gonna be some super special anatomically perfect guys that can take it further, but there's nothing keeping the average joe from learning most intermediate-difficult moves on whatever obstacles if they really want to.

I generally don't like calling anybody "gifted". Respect how much work they have put in.

I think this is very much true. Of course people do learn at different rates but still, you have to put in the work. This is a good reminder for myself as I too often consider myself just not that good but then I'm not putting in the work to learn new stuff but instead doing what I already know. When I do put in the work to learn new stuff I start to notice that it's actually doable.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #436 on: January 28, 2023, 09:23:55 AM »
 Muscle movement/body position/physicality mean a whole fuck of a lot more for your skating than the dimensions of your setup.
 Y'all really are WAY too freakshow about gear and shit.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #437 on: January 28, 2023, 09:36:13 AM »
There's too much gd clapback in the 2023 unpopular opinions thread
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

skrilleX3dontdoit

• Rep: -10
« Reply #438 on: January 28, 2023, 09:45:52 AM »
if jeru the damaja received a proper education, he would be jeru the damager.
unless it's a wallhanger [which is kook shit] graphics are pointless.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #439 on: January 28, 2023, 10:18:19 AM »
if jeru the damaja received a proper education, he would be jeru the damager.
unless it's a wallhanger [which is kook shit] graphics are pointless.

I disagree. Graphics are art from beginning to end. It only needs to be viewed from another perspective.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #440 on: January 28, 2023, 10:18:41 AM »
I like wallhangers
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

skrilleX3dontdoit

• Rep: -10
« Reply #441 on: January 28, 2023, 10:53:32 AM »
the lockdowns/masks/distancing drove everyone a little mad.
i'm cossack, we're all a little mad.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #442 on: January 28, 2023, 01:23:28 PM »
Tom Penny is the fifth Beatle.

switchfakie

« Reply #443 on: January 28, 2023, 02:20:43 PM »

i take credit for Quasi having wheelbase listed on their website

i emailed customer service complaining about it. i never got an email back, but a few months later, all their listings had now included wheelbase

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #444 on: January 28, 2023, 04:19:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i take credit for Quasi having wheelbase listed on their website

i emailed customer service complaining about it. i never got an email back, but a few months later, all their listings had now included wheelbase

Thank you for that, friend.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -440
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #445 on: January 28, 2023, 04:36:21 PM »
Not really an opinion but why is everybody skating pepper grip all of a sudden?

switchfakie

« Reply #446 on: January 28, 2023, 05:05:15 PM »

maybe your area only, ive never seen a single person with pepper grip

but if i do recall, some online shops were giving it free with boards, so maybe that

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #447 on: January 28, 2023, 05:14:33 PM »

Good guy Brian Brown.

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #448 on: January 28, 2023, 05:38:05 PM »

How can you tell the difference between jessup, mob and pepper aside from asking a skater "what kind of grip is that", which is weird imo

switchfakie

« Reply #449 on: January 28, 2023, 05:46:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How can you tell the difference between jessup, mob and pepper aside from asking a skater "what kind of grip is that", which is weird imo

Why did you assume that he didn’t just ask