Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 171572 times)

urbneathme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2023, 12:24:34 PM »
pretty easy to tell who doesn’t skate or have friends in here

69woodpusher69

• Rep: 3
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2023, 12:27:46 PM »
imagine being as sad as that guy only 3 days into the new year lmao, shut up and skate

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2023, 12:40:00 PM »

Fuck it, this for pretty much any weird shit you guys are doing if you aren’t old or insanely good.

8-8.5 popsicle (preferably bbs)

Plain trucks. Indys ideal, venture respectable if you’re good, acceptable if you’re mediocre. aces respectable but you HAVE to be good, if you aren’t good get indys. Thunders are weird because of the logo and branding but you can do it with an 8.5 deck, they look good wide and worn (just like my ladies)

Spits, bones bearings, mob or Jessup. Get as creative as you want with your hardware as long as it’s black or silver. You can have ONE colored bolt but only if there’s nothing else iffy going on with your setups, can’t do it with thunders. Colored Bolt absolutely has to be in front of board, obviously.

Plain black grip.

No pro model wheel graphics for the spitfires and if you don’t sand them they have to be in. In is preferable even if you sand them, it’s the principle of it (I would feel so weird skating with them facing out, I would feel like I put my trucks on backwards or something). Ideally go for a private slappy sesh THEN turn them in once you get some scrapes, if you aren’t going to sand them.

Like two stickers tops, ideally none but putting the local shop sticker on feels like a nice nod to the community

Avoid anything too red or orange, or anything too “busy” on the graphic, black board is the best most of the time

This is kinda what your board should look like, if you are deviating from this general guideline you better have something to show for it or be old. Once you’re grey you can literally do whatever you want, when you’re close you can start dabbling with old guy stuff, (like early thirties are fine to transition to curb skating, weird grips and shit) but do not show up to the park without a receding hairline cruising around on your fucking 10” board doing wallies and slappies when you’re literally still on your moms health insurance, it’s fucking cringe

Hahaha, damn dude that’s one of the best posts I’ve read in a while.  While I agree with every single thing you said, taken as a whole, it reads a little bit like Maoist party propaganda.

I started putting one of my back wheels graphics-out just to get a little rebellious and stir things up a bit.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2023, 12:40:59 PM »
what if you started losing your hair when you were still on your mom's health insurance
Off topic, how the fuck do you have only 100 posts I see you everywhere

maybe it's just love

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2023, 12:42:33 PM »
Setup fascism is weird. It's 2023 boys and girls, it's your setup, your choice!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2023, 12:52:35 PM »
 Triumph Of The Wheel

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2023, 12:53:21 PM »
I’m just glad I’ve got a medical exemption from all of these set up regulations & rules.
Thank goodness for a Doctor’s Note.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2023, 12:58:42 PM »
i think it's a leverage thing. when you have rails you can lean back way further and still be in a boardslide and push it to hurricane much easier. so not only are rails corny, but they're kind of cheating!

Ah fuck I just realized they essentially take the convex effect out of the deck right, makes it feel flat? So you don’t slip out or stick as much? Has to feel like snowboarding at that point, and I’m now resentful that I bruised my thirteen year old ass trying to do one Mach 5 for the first time.

While it seems corny now, I now want to try some so bad and completely understand the fun aspect of it.

At the end of the day though we should lock every single rail in this country in a warehouse and burn it for making the slappy boardslide to hurricane possible

what if you started losing your hair when you were still on your mom's health insurance

sadly this isn’t a hypothetical question to me

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -13
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2023, 01:00:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Rails make those curb dancing tricks possible. Maybe there’s some lunatic out there who can do them without rails but for everyone else it’s a necessity.

Personally I don’t like those tricks very much and don’t love doing boardslides. I rode them for a while but got tired of them. But if people like them that’s cool. Either way I don’t think the old crusty Curb Dawgs are gonna stop cause of what they read on the internet.
[close]

Genuine question: why can’t they just wax their board?

Honestly I think my rule is it’s cool if the deck you’re skating was around in an era with rails. Setting up an 80s graphic with rails or something then skating curbs with it is sick but setting up a polar 9 inch with rails is corny. I mean shout out to you guys for having fun with your setups but I’m a Puritan with all this stuff. When I was a kid I got the Thrasher Skate and Destroy book from my library and they had a blurb where they said rails were almost as stupid as Z-Rollers and I guess I subconsciously took that to heart.

Also you need to be literally graying before I respect a cut up grip job. Twenty something with a custom xacto knife grip job is unbelievably corny.

Ha! I had a Thrasher book with Dressen blasting airs off launch ramps and other late 80s style street that got my hyped on rails. Keep in mind this is years later, skating had already gone through BPSW and you would basically get your ass kicked for even mentioning them, but I was completely ignorant. I went to the shop and I asked the mom who ran the shop for some rails and she very nicely explained to me how rails are lame and nobody rides them and that's why they didn't sell them. Super embarrassing and very traumatizing. Cool guys in the shop had a good chuckle over that one I'm sure. Have never even considered riding them since. I've held on to this baggage for a long time.
Quote from: EdLawndale on October 13, 2021, 12:03:45 PM
You just became my favorite Slap poster

IpathCats

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2023, 01:05:44 PM »

Fuck it, this for pretty much any weird shit you guys are doing if you aren’t old or insanely good.

Plain trucks. Indys ideal, venture respectable if you’re good, acceptable if you’re mediocre. aces respectable but you HAVE to be good, if you aren’t good get indys. Thunders are weird because of the logo and branding but you can do it with an 8.5 deck, they look good wide and worn (just like my ladies)

Spits, bones bearings, mob or Jessup. Get as creative as you want with your hardware as long as it’s black or silver. You can have ONE colored bolt but only if there’s nothing else iffy going on with your setups, can’t do it with thunders. Colored Bolt absolutely has to be in front of board, obviously.

Plain black grip.

No pro model wheel graphics for the spitfires and if you don’t sand them they have to be in. In is preferable even if you sand them, it’s the principle of it (I would feel so weird skating with them facing out, I would feel like I put my trucks on backwards or something). Ideally go for a private slappy sesh THEN turn them in once you get some scrapes, if you aren’t going to sand them.

Like two stickers tops, ideally none but putting the local shop sticker on feels like a nice nod to the community

Avoid anything too red or orange, or anything too “busy” on the graphic, black board is the best most of the time

This is kinda what your board should look like, if you are deviating from this general guideline you better have something to show for it or be old. Once you’re grey you can literally do whatever you want, when you’re close you can start dabbling with old guy stuff, (like early thirties are fine to transition to curb skating, weird grips and shit) but do not show up to the park without a receding hairline cruising around on your fucking 10” board doing wallies and slappies when you’re literally still on your moms health insurance, it’s fucking cringe

hahaha gnar'd

REGULATE THESE UNDER 30 FOOLS

Roy Machine

• Rep: -6
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2023, 01:10:30 PM »
Expand Quote
The question is which beloved pro is going to be the SOTY 2023 and will be hated afterwards.

Or maybe someone will break the cycle and a once hated skater will get SOTY and will be loved afterwards
[close]

My prediction (wrong thread) is that, in '23, Thrasher is going to push back a little bit against the trend of dropping seventeen parts between November 15-30, and they'll give SOTY to someone who did had two or three parts spread out over the year, with one big part dropping in the fall/early winter. Classico style.

Aw shit I thought I was in the prediction thread. Sorry, my bad

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2023, 01:13:41 PM »

Plain black grip.

I'm currently riding thunders 149s with two orange bolts on the nose. I need to rethink my life choices

IpathCats

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2023, 01:17:18 PM »
Expand Quote

Plain black grip.

[close]

I'm currently riding thunders 149s with two orange bolts on the nose. I need to rethink my life choices

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2023, 01:18:10 PM »

Plain black grip.

Touch grass
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2023, 01:18:41 PM »
Yeah also I don’t think I really got my point across, I think there’s an unwritten rule in skating that extends from your setup to your gear to your skating itself: pretty much the better you are the more you’re entitled to deviate from cultural norms in skating and experiment with weird shit. I don’t think it’s gatekeeping per se and I don’t think it’s a bad thing either. It seems like a sort of subconscious respect for the craft, like when you’re sort of an apprentice in skating you have to be more low key then you can get more eccentric as you develop a voice on a skateboard. It’s cool seeing Vincent Nava skate with his gear and setup but it would be intensely cringy seeing some kid dressed up like that learning to push at the skatepark, you know what I mean?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2023, 01:21:28 PM »
No…..I don’t….these are all just personal preferences and what ever was…..isn’t……

If I have to pick a side….get me some coloured grip and a set of the fanciest krux you can find……

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2023, 01:23:30 PM »
Expand Quote

Plain black grip.

[close]

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2023, 01:29:41 PM »
I recommend a single coloured wheel……..

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2023, 01:31:07 PM »
Yeah also I don’t think I really got my point across, I think there’s an unwritten rule in skating that extends from your setup to your gear to your skating itself: pretty much the better you are the more you’re entitled to deviate from cultural norms in skating and experiment with weird shit. I don’t think it’s gatekeeping per se and I don’t think it’s a bad thing either. It seems like a sort of subconscious respect for the craft, like when you’re sort of an apprentice in skating you have to be more low key then you can get more eccentric as you develop a voice on a skateboard. It’s cool seeing Vincent Nava skate with his gear and setup but it would be intensely cringy seeing some kid dressed up like that learning to push at the skatepark, you know what I mean?
I get what you’re saying to an extent- people who can barely skate look goofier when they put too much effort into their gear.

iangreen66

• Rep: 0
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2023, 01:32:20 PM »
Lipslides are just as boring and stupid as boardslides

Yeah, Heath lipsliding El Toro was really stupid and boring

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2023, 01:32:40 PM »
I'm currently riding thunders 149s with two orange bolts on the nose.
You are why I drink

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2023, 01:48:07 PM »
Just turned 33, look about 25, I know I’m judged for my rails, colored grip, wheel graphics facing out, loose ass trucks, loose ass hardware that sounds like a can of rusted screws when I roll down the block. But fuck it, skating is fun, and I find this shit to be fun. Fuck the “rules”, that’s what skatings all about. I’ve done this shit since I was a kid, not gonna stop now, you know how hard it was to track down a set of rails and a tailblock in 2001?! I was obsessed with different eras as a kid, it’s all part of the fun. I suck too, so take from all that what you will. Good day, all.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2023, 01:50:24 PM »
Just turned 33, look about 25, I know I’m judged for my rails, colored grip, wheel graphics facing out, loose ass trucks, loose ass hardware that sounds like a can of rusted screws when I roll down the block. But fuck it, skating is fun, and I find this shit to be fun. Fuck the “rules”, that’s what skatings all about. I’ve done this shit since I was a kid, not gonna stop now, you know how hard it was to track down a set of rails and a tailblock in 2001?! I was obsessed with different eras as a kid, it’s all part of the fun. I suck too, so take from all that what you will. Good day, all.

Well said.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2023, 01:53:22 PM »
All my shit is proper and I can whole heartedly say, I am no further ahead…….

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2023, 02:49:45 PM »

Can a brother get a breakdown on footwear guidelines?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2023, 02:54:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rise With the Fallen

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2023, 02:55:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Rise With the Fallen

What are the rules for pants?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2023, 02:57:07 PM »
Pants are best held up with a shoe lace or a volcom belt…..

I actually think it’s time to retire 874’s…..Julien….get some double knees…..time to move on…

IpathCats

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2023, 03:04:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Rise With the Fallen
[close]

Leggings or JNCOs, the choice is yours.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2023, 03:06:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Rise With the Fallen
[close]

Wear them.

This means you Doobie