Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 173599 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1050 on: March 06, 2023, 10:29:51 AM »
I could never force myself to watch Koston parts because his style is so bad i understand he's a legend and all ability wise but i could just never care

Edit: i forced myself to watch a jagger eaton part to compare their styles but i ended up enjoying a lot of the tricks because i watched it on mute and ignored the garbage broll, the ender for his berrics part is absolutely nuts i hate that i enjoyed as many of the tricks as i did

Did he have really good style relative to others early on in his career? Carroll still looked great relative to his peers for an insane amount of time i tried to watch kostons yeah right part and it looked like shit i had to turn it off like two minutes in, just a human bussup machine he's a hammer machine but who likes watching his shit, honestly arguably like one tier above jagger eaton in style

Edit 2: jesus the way he sets up his nollie tricks makes me feel a way i never want to feel again, feet like two inches apart which should be cool and very fresh but he makes every nollie trick look like a looney tunes character jumping on a chair to get away from a mouse
He had acceptable style. I can’t remember anyone saying it was great or complaining about it. I love his part in H Street Next Generation and his Mouse part was pretty good.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1051 on: March 06, 2023, 10:51:56 AM »
Expand Quote
I could never force myself to watch Koston parts because his style is so bad i understand he's a legend and all ability wise but i could just never care

Edit: i forced myself to watch a jagger eaton part to compare their styles but i ended up enjoying a lot of the tricks because i watched it on mute and ignored the garbage broll, the ender for his berrics part is absolutely nuts i hate that i enjoyed as many of the tricks as i did

Did he have really good style relative to others early on in his career? Carroll still looked great relative to his peers for an insane amount of time i tried to watch kostons yeah right part and it looked like shit i had to turn it off like two minutes in, just a human bussup machine he's a hammer machine but who likes watching his shit, honestly arguably like one tier above jagger eaton in style

Edit 2: jesus the way he sets up his nollie tricks makes me feel a way i never want to feel again, feet like two inches apart which should be cool and very fresh but he makes every nollie trick look like a looney tunes character jumping on a chair to get away from a mouse
[close]
He had acceptable style. I can’t remember anyone saying it was great or complaining about it. I love his part in H Street Next Generation and his Mouse part was pretty good.
I agree Koston's style is acceptable, especially when factored into his era and what he was doing relative to his peers. Girl/Chocolate though was always loaded with skaters with great style such as Carroll, Gino, Guy, Scott Johnston, MJ, Kenny Anderson, BA, Rick Howard, Keenan, etc. So Koston's was always a bit rough around the edges compared to those guys, but he was also pushing skating on a technical level on ledges, rails, and big gaps that no one else really was and did so for like 15 years. While I'm rarely a tech over style guy, I think Koston finds a good medium. Not everyone can be Lucas Puig or MJ where they make even insanely technical tricks look amazing (which is a rare feat in general). Koston's stuff was generally popped and caught clean, which is more than you can say about a decent amount of guys who came out of the small wheels era doing insanely tech tricks.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #1052 on: March 08, 2023, 08:05:11 PM »
Asphalt yacht club was cool at first. Had a great team, and an original approach. It just became a mediocre mall brand too fast.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1053 on: March 09, 2023, 01:46:06 AM »
More of a question than an opinion but do you think Cariuma will be normalised in skateboarding like Nike etc? I remember the net resistance to Nike back whenever it was and look at them now. Still feels weird to me seeing them (and other running shoe brands) and would never buy them but each to their own. Seeing more and more Cariumas in the wild (and on good skaters) so it appears the same thing might be happening.

No. Because Nike is/was already cool outside of skateboarding, while cariuma is not even a thing people would consider wearing

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #1054 on: March 09, 2023, 03:36:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Sorry I only eat food in bar form. When you concentrate food you unleash it's awesome power, I'm told. That's why I am compressing five pounds of spaghetti into one handy mouth sized bar. Hurrmph.....mmm.....Hospital please.
[close]

i do the same but with shitting

i hold my shits in for 4 days to maximize my colon's absorbtion of vitamins and minerals.

then i shit a single 5 pound x 1 foot long cylindrical shit brick

So 2 courics then. Not bad.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

sle_epy

« Reply #1055 on: March 09, 2023, 03:59:16 AM »

Tbf I watched that part once again, and he has his feet close together on a nollie trick that's noticable once. Heading into a handrail. I wonder if it was a conscious choice. He has some sketch clips but I dunno, I still really enjoy watching him skate.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1056 on: March 09, 2023, 06:05:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sorry I only eat food in bar form. When you concentrate food you unleash it's awesome power, I'm told. That's why I am compressing five pounds of spaghetti into one handy mouth sized bar. Hurrmph.....mmm.....Hospital please.
[close]

i do the same but with shitting

i hold my shits in for 4 days to maximize my colon's absorbtion of vitamins and minerals.

then i shit a single 5 pound x 1 foot long cylindrical shit brick
[close]

So 2 courics then. Not bad.

I was living at my mom’s house post college when Katie Couric had her colonoscopy on tv.

My mom was watching and I walked in a said, “Hey look! It’s Katie Couric’s culo!”

Mom screamed “Get out of my house!” and that was the end of rent free living.

IpathCats

« Reply #1057 on: March 09, 2023, 06:33:02 AM »
Dwindle makes good skateboards.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #1058 on: March 09, 2023, 06:34:22 AM »

I feel like this is consensus opinion among anyone who has skated one over the past ~5 years.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #1059 on: March 09, 2023, 06:49:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like this is consensus opinion among anyone who has skated one over the past ~5 years.

Ah ok, i feel like everyone just wants to ride BBS that's why i said this.

I only ever hear people hating on almost and blind. but i guess thats more about the brand overall and not the boards themselves.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1060 on: March 09, 2023, 08:28:27 AM »
No…..people hate on them because they are made in China….or that they just don’t like them and shit….it’s fun to hate on stuff….

There are specific characteristics which may not be everyone’s preferences but the boards are fine….I hope they stick around…

IpathCats

« Reply #1061 on: March 09, 2023, 09:08:30 AM »
No…..people hate on them because they are made in China….or that they just don’t like them and shit….it’s fun to hate on stuff….

There are specific characteristics which may not be everyone’s preferences but the boards are fine….I hope they stick around…

Finally, someone that gets me.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1062 on: March 09, 2023, 09:17:23 AM »
Gildan's are the industry standard for blank t-shirts. I have about 4 different styles in my closet and some are worse than others but some of their styles are great eg. Heavy Cotton. Stop dragging their name through the mud and pick on Hanes instead their blanks are trash
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #1063 on: March 09, 2023, 10:59:35 AM »
Gildan's are the industry standard for blank t-shirts. I have about 4 different styles in my closet and some are worse than others but some of their styles are great eg. Heavy Cotton. Stop dragging their name through the mud and pick on Hanes instead their blanks are trash

agreed. gildans are great and i dig how their proportions aren’t too long. blanks like independent trading co runs way too long

switchfakie

« Reply #1064 on: March 09, 2023, 11:08:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

agreed. gildans are great and i dig how their proportions aren’t too long. blanks like independent trading co runs way too long

to be fair, i think everybody has negative takes on both brands because of their cheap models

like no shit, cheap clothing gonna be cheap quality

both brands make good shit, you just gotta pay money

but unfortunately, new clothing brands want money more than they care about the quality of their product - so they buy the cheapest gildan/hanes shirts to maximize profit

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1065 on: March 09, 2023, 04:33:34 PM »
Please stop Lowriding or "sagging" your pants. I have no interest in seeing your underwear. Buy a belt, cinch it up and live a good life.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1066 on: March 09, 2023, 04:43:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
I agree Koston's style is acceptable, especially when factored into his era and what he was doing relative to his peers. Girl/Chocolate though was always loaded with skaters with great style such as Carroll, Gino, Guy, Scott Johnston, MJ, Kenny Anderson, BA, Rick Howard, Keenan, etc. So Koston's was always a bit rough around the edges compared to those guys, but he was also pushing skating on a technical level on ledges, rails, and big gaps that no one else really was and did so for like 15 years. While I'm rarely a tech over style guy, I think Koston finds a good medium. Not everyone can be Lucas Puig or MJ where they make even insanely technical tricks look amazing (which is a rare feat in general). Koston's stuff was generally popped and caught clean, which is more than you can say about a decent amount of guys who came out of the small wheels era doing insanely tech tricks.

Mouse Koston pants are one of the bests ever.
Miss you Rusty Berings

sle_epy

« Reply #1067 on: March 09, 2023, 04:44:39 PM »
Please stop Lowriding or "sagging" your pants. I have no interest in seeing your underwear. Buy a belt, cinch it up and live a good life.

Not everyone is a punk hesh nerd, boomer.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:30:05 PM by Eivetsskates »

sle_epy

« Reply #1068 on: March 09, 2023, 04:50:00 PM »
Love Ben Degros as much as the next skater, but his push is... Really bad despite how good he is.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 771
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1069 on: March 09, 2023, 05:20:56 PM »

The hot take uttered at thousands of thanksgiving dinners

nothing's been the since same

sle_epy

« Reply #1070 on: March 09, 2023, 05:22:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The hot take uttered at thousands of thanksgiving dinners

sle_epy

« Reply #1071 on: March 09, 2023, 05:25:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Not everyone is punk hesh nerd, boomer.
[close]

Haha, you like it you bundle of sticks bound together with string.

Replying again because my response to you initially was much nicer until I figured out what you meant. Nice way to call someone a fa$$ot you loser. Showing your true scumbag colors. Also I'm a straight female so call me that all you want; you're right I LOVE DICK. Try again q anon boomer. God forbid a female participates, I'm sorry it upsets your old man assumptions about who's here. God forbid I was a male, or even a gay male, it'd be even more offensive. BA is a better skater than you'll ever be and represents the culture better too.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1072 on: March 09, 2023, 05:28:28 PM »
Pants gon’ be saggin’ til I’m 40
Cuz I’m thuggin
And it feels so good feels so right

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1073 on: March 09, 2023, 05:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Say it with your chest, you scaredy-cat wimp!
Such a coward, you’re not even willing to own your shitty opinions & take the heat for them.
Kindly fuck all the way off, you yellow bellied nebbish, you spineless poltroon, and any number of various other apt, old timey insults I can muster to hurl at you, you god forsaken jellyfish of a human.
In other words, beat it you squid.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

sle_epy

« Reply #1074 on: March 09, 2023, 05:35:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Say it with your chest, you scaredy-cat wimp!
Such a coward, you’re not even willing to own your shitty opinions & take the heat for them.
Kindly fuck all the way off, you yellow bellied nebbish, you spineless poltroon, and any number of various other apt, old timey insults I can muster to hurl at you, you god forsaken jellyfish of a human.
In other words, beat it you squid.

mikeyshorts

• Rep: -15
« Reply #1075 on: March 09, 2023, 05:36:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Replying again because my response to you initially was much nicer until I figured out what you meant. Nice way to call someone a fa$$ot you loser. Showing your true scumbag colors. Also I'm a straight female so call me that all you want; you're right I LOVE DICK. Try again q anon boomer. God forbid a female participates, I'm sorry it upsets your old man assumptions about who's here. God forbid I was a male, or even a gay male, it'd be even more offensive. BA is a better skater than you'll ever be and represents the culture better too.
what dat mouth do girly? besides talk crass and show ass. mans right, pull dem pants up. we aint beltless in jail anymore

sle_epy

« Reply #1076 on: March 09, 2023, 05:39:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
what dat mouth do girly? besides talk crass and show ass. mans right, pull dem pants up. we aint beltless in jail anymore

Eh, I'd respond in context but my kickflip is likely way nicer than yours.

sle_epy

« Reply #1077 on: March 09, 2023, 05:41:14 PM »
You like mens assholes and you want to service mens assholes but you can't make a living from it so it's your only hobby.

Quit projecting. The sag is prob too tempting to you. Several more inches close to that sweet sweet skater man butthole. It'd only take a few more inches of pulling em down.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1078 on: March 09, 2023, 06:04:31 PM »
You're right. I just wanted to make a simple unpopular opinion without becoming the target for abuse. I call a truce.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #1079 on: March 09, 2023, 06:08:04 PM »
This isn't directed towards anyone but the past few posts reminded me this video exists

Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.