Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 173672 times)

sle_epy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -94
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1260 on: March 28, 2023, 12:16:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’d like to put Ryan D on that list…..blasting over garbage cans like a snowboarder….
[close]

Oddly the first person I thought of.
[close]

GH reference…..found it’s way into our subconsciousness….

Yup, the cans. And decenzo'd it.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1261 on: March 28, 2023, 01:39:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Front side 180s are critically underrated.
[close]

its unfortunate bc they look really good when theyre floaty

They were one of the first tricks I relearned but it‘s hard to get a nice one. Tipps are welcome.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #1262 on: March 28, 2023, 01:44:48 PM »
If I had had young kids I wouldent let them near Aaron Kyro if they were begging me! I’d probably force them to met Tony with me though ps I don’t think this is unpopular j adding to the Tony Kyro debate.

Tony Kyro’s Pro Skater (from the sf Bay Area) 2

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2208
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1263 on: March 28, 2023, 02:05:37 PM »
Expand Quote
If I had had young kids I wouldent let them near Aaron Kyro if they were begging me! I’d probably force them to met Tony with me though ps I don’t think this is unpopular j adding to the Tony Kyro debate.
[close]

Tony Kyro’s Pro Skater (from the sf Bay Area) 2

Fuck Tony Kyro!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

switchfakie

« Reply #1264 on: March 28, 2023, 06:10:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They were one of the first tricks I relearned but it‘s hard to get a nice one. Tipps are welcome.

as with any 180 & 360 trick, just hyperfocus on sucking up your back foot right after you pop and them shits will fly my g

sle_epy

« Reply #1265 on: March 28, 2023, 06:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Don't push or pull the board with your front foot, let your shoulders do all the spinning and just pop a normal Ollie. Your body will follow. I pop a normal straight forward Ollie when my shoulder realigns with the nose coming through the wind up and the shoulders carry my Ollie around. I don't think about my back foot because it's just an Ollie.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #1266 on: March 28, 2023, 06:33:15 PM »
Idk I've been finding I tend to do the opposit with my fs 180, I turn my shoulders last. I wonder what they look like to the outside perspective. They feel koo to me...

sle_epy

« Reply #1267 on: March 28, 2023, 07:51:21 PM »
Idk I've been finding I tend to do the opposit with my fs 180, I turn my shoulders last. I wonder what they look like to the outside perspective. They feel koo to me...

I know what you're saying, when I see guys do them like that I assume it's because they feel cool / show some level of mastery of the trick. I just like them to be easy lol.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1268 on: March 28, 2023, 09:32:58 PM »
Same. I try to do them like Barley, all in the hips. No idea how they look tho cause who films a FS ollie?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1269 on: March 29, 2023, 04:20:29 AM »
I think FS 180s look fine if you get a little height and take off straight. It gets a bad rap because it’s so easy to do them with very little height and be halfway done the turn before you take off.

Strangely enough though, I’m perfectly fine with cheater BS 180s - I think they look steezy no matter what.

sle_epy

« Reply #1270 on: March 29, 2023, 04:29:01 AM »
I think FS 180s look fine if you get a little height and take off straight. It gets a bad rap because it’s so easy to do them with very little height and be halfway done the turn before you take off.

Strangely enough though, I’m perfectly fine with cheater BS 180s - I think they look steezy no matter what.

Cheater bs 180s are stee for sure. I like how there's a handful of ways to do every trick and you can learn them all.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1271 on: March 29, 2023, 08:50:34 AM »

Frontsides=hesh Backsides=fresh?

sle_epy

« Reply #1272 on: March 29, 2023, 08:59:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #1273 on: March 29, 2023, 09:04:07 AM »
currents part was more enjoyable than a part ive ever seen from LL even though LL is easily top 3

switchfakie

« Reply #1274 on: March 29, 2023, 09:57:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yes

IpathCats

« Reply #1275 on: March 29, 2023, 11:36:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

as far as generalizations go, yes

switchfakie

« Reply #1276 on: March 29, 2023, 12:23:05 PM »
i think that dan corrigans content is alright bc it sometimes gives me an insight on what transition skaters do. every now an then, he'll hang out with the transition pros on powell & i end up seeing a lot of tricks i never would have even thought were possible on quarterpipes & shit that gets me juiced to skate tranny

for example

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1277 on: March 29, 2023, 04:19:00 PM »
I'm posting this here because I don't know where else to put this opinion and I wanna hear you all's thought on it.

I think Nik Stain's skating looks pretty similar to Stevie Williams'

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1278 on: March 29, 2023, 04:58:32 PM »
if i could pick one person i dont think nik stain skates like it might be stevie williams

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2208
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1279 on: March 29, 2023, 05:05:57 PM »
I'm posting this here because I don't know where else to put this opinion and I wanna hear you all's thought on it.

if i could pick one person i dont think nik stain skates like it might be stevie williams
But you’ve gotta hand it to this SLAP user @OneMore, they definitely chose the correct thread to share that opinion in.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

switchfakie

« Reply #1280 on: March 29, 2023, 05:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]
But you’ve gotta hand it to this SLAP user @OneMore, they definitely chose the correct thread to share that opinion in.

i could see similarities in nik stain's & stevies long extended push

other than that, i dont see anything similar

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1281 on: March 29, 2023, 06:44:12 PM »
What I'm thinking is they've both got that straight arms going at sharp angles out front of their bodies. I also think they have similar technique/look to their 180 manual tricks.

I could be out of it on this one though, totally willing to take that too.

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #1282 on: March 30, 2023, 09:30:25 AM »
i’m hoping all that gorpcore/arcteryx shit dies down

IpathCats

« Reply #1283 on: March 30, 2023, 10:38:03 AM »
What I'm thinking is they've both got that straight arms going at sharp angles out front of their bodies. I also think they have similar technique/look to their 180 manual tricks.

I could be out of it on this one though, totally willing to take that too.

as a huge nik stain fan, and someone that grew up watching stevies part in the DC video a million times, this is shattering my worldview.

Havent watched any stevie in a while, i need to study before i can make an accurate judgement on this.

just from memory though, i kinda see where you're coming from, and it's scaring me.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1284 on: March 30, 2023, 11:38:49 AM »
I’ve always seen Nik Stain as a Reese Forbes with manual anything abilities instead of pop.

IpathCats

« Reply #1285 on: March 30, 2023, 12:01:35 PM »
I’ve always seen Nik Stain as a Reese Forbes with manual anything abilities instead of pop.

That's not a bad person to be imo

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #1286 on: March 31, 2023, 10:03:17 AM »
this would prolly be considered a 2022 unpopular opinion but billiam strobeck picked the music for play dead by seeing what songs were popular with kids on "alt TikTok." when I heard deftones and metallica come on i immediately realized that I was not the target demographic. on the bright side apparently a clip was filmed at a spot in my town so that's cool I guess

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1287 on: March 31, 2023, 10:57:45 AM »
this would prolly be considered a 2022 unpopular opinion but billiam strobeck picked the music for play dead by seeing what songs were popular with kids on "alt TikTok." when I heard deftones and metallica come on i immediately realized that I was not the target demographic. on the bright side apparently a clip was filmed at a spot in my town so that's cool I guess
I realized I wasn't the target demographic when a child's bare belly and chest was filling 90% of the screen while deftones was playing, but deftones itself is not a problem, I dig the band
I don't like Metallica but I don't have any problems with who does, and I thought it fit Nik Stain's skating pretty well.
It was also weirdly refreshing to hear big songs in a skate vid in an era of copyright hell.
Cringiest shit by far in that vid was the fireworks, but I guess they needed some posters. I don't have /don't watch tiktoks btw

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1288 on: March 31, 2023, 03:55:54 PM »
I think this is closer to a Skateboarding Conspiracy Theory wherever that thread is because I don't think you're wrong. It's been a problem in his stuff since Cherry. Sometimes it works out and you get Dylan and INXS or Ben and Billy but other times you Nik Stain and One which I called out as basic as in the Play Dead thread. I'm closer to Bill's age and I can see that he was early on the nostalgia for Gen X oldies and can be good at it but there are a bunch of times where he woulda made a better video if he didn't adhere to his signature style of zoomed in clips cut to alt pop hits. Fuck use a deep cut. The songs are always hits that charted and by now it seems more like dungeon tier Hollywood music supervision than anything. So yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he was looking at the TikTok charts.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1289 on: March 31, 2023, 04:06:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i could see similarities in nik stain's & stevies long extended push

other than that, i dont see anything similar
Yeah, maybe I'm not seeing something, but when I think of Stevie I think more of his pop than anything else, whereas Nik Stain doesn't have that type of pop but skates at breakneck speed. If I was gonna say any big name current skater skates like Stevie I'm probably say Tiago.