Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 173820 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1376
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1380 on: April 17, 2023, 10:06:25 AM »
worble is corny as fuck

Honestly, I do agree with this - it's just not to my taste, personally. If anyone else enjoys their output, that's cool, I'm not knocking you for that at all.

There's a couple reasons why it's not for me. I don't like the names Worble, or Cobra Man, or Manramp, or any of that - it's not my thing.

Manramp in particular can be clever at times, but the whole thing also feels like an extended gimmick that I'm not too into. Like I don't get hyped to go out and skate from watching a Manramp video. It's more like content for content's sake.

Also, I gotta be honest here, and I'd welcome any info that disproves this - it feels like a whitewashed upper-class thing, which apparently is on brand since they're from Vermont from what I understand. I skimmed their insta and only saw one prevalent person of colour, which is Eunice Chang. Also saw a black dude in the back of one of their videos, and that's it. So yeah, it doesn't really speak to me.

But it's really cool that they value inclusion with regards to gender, and it's cool that it's a group of friends doing their thing and having fun.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1381 on: April 17, 2023, 10:29:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
worble is ... not a real company.
[close]

People here say shit like this all the time and don't understand what it means. What constitutes a "real" company? My only guess is that, since it doesn't resemble a skateboard company from the years for which one is nostalgic, that it's not "real".
[close]
yeah, i know defining a "real" brand is borderline useless nowadays and with the way the industry works now these distinctions get more and more blurred each day, but i feel like you gotta draw the line somewhere

my major qualifier (which i genuinely think is fair) is national/international distribution. anyone can order a run of boards with their friend's names on them and set up a webstore, regardless if there's an actual demand for these boards, and now that we've shifted away from a skateshop economy, anyone in the country can theoretically order the board. does that make that person "pro"*? not necessarily, but at least when you see a run of boards in shops, you know there's likely actual demand for what this company is offering. someone bought that board, and they think it has enough merit that it'll sell. not only have i never seen a worble board in person, but my (admittedly brief) research indicates they're not even available on several major retailers, including CCS, skatepark of tampa, or tactics. so who's asking for these boards? what purpose does this company serve? was anyone on the team (besides cookie) hooked up before their friends started a brand and would they be hooked up if this brand didn't exist?

for the record, i don't think worble is the only "not a real" company out there, there are plenty of bullshit brands out there. worble's just a topic of conversation right now

*please, let's not throw the concept of "pro" into this conversation

It sounds like you have a nebulous definition of what is and is not a "skateboard company" which you get to apply based on the vibes you get from them. That's fine, it actually confirms what I already believed, which is that most of this is rooted in nostalgia.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1382 on: April 17, 2023, 10:39:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

People here say shit like this all the time and don't understand what it means. What constitutes a "real" company? My only guess is that, since it doesn't resemble a skateboard company from the years for which one is nostalgic, that it's not "real".
[close]
yeah, i know defining a "real" brand is borderline useless nowadays and with the way the industry works now these distinctions get more and more blurred each day, but i feel like you gotta draw the line somewhere

my major qualifier (which i genuinely think is fair) is national/international distribution. anyone can order a run of boards with their friend's names on them and set up a webstore, regardless if there's an actual demand for these boards, and now that we've shifted away from a skateshop economy, anyone in the country can theoretically order the board. does that make that person "pro"*? not necessarily, but at least when you see a run of boards in shops, you know there's likely actual demand for what this company is offering. someone bought that board, and they think it has enough merit that it'll sell. not only have i never seen a worble board in person, but my (admittedly brief) research indicates they're not even available on several major retailers, including CCS, skatepark of tampa, or tactics. so who's asking for these boards? what purpose does this company serve? was anyone on the team (besides cookie) hooked up before their friends started a brand and would they be hooked up if this brand didn't exist?

for the record, i don't think worble is the only "not a real" company out there, there are plenty of bullshit brands out there. worble's just a topic of conversation right now

[close]

It sounds like you have a nebulous definition of what is and is not a "skateboard company" which you get to apply based on the vibes you get from them. That's fine, it actually confirms what I already believed, which is that most of this is rooted in nostalgia.
[close]
have you ever heard of confirmation bias? might be worth reading up on

[spends three paragraphs repeating my point back to me]

"Yeah man have you heard of confirmation bias?"

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1383 on: April 17, 2023, 10:40:14 AM »
@manysnakes is a good fucking egg, man.  We don’t deserve you.

IpathCats

« Reply #1384 on: April 17, 2023, 10:53:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

If you thought his elaboration was simply a repetition of your point, then you clearly have some confirmation bias man. There are some parts that COULD potentially support your point, but it seems like you're ignoring the totality of what he's saying in order to well... confirm your bias. Both of you are making fairly nuanced points here, so a little effort and understanding would probably go a long way.

real? I mean yea, technically

legit? nah, not even close.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1385 on: April 17, 2023, 10:58:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

A distinction without a difference.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #1386 on: April 17, 2023, 11:00:32 AM »
Worble are like those nerdy group of theater/band/whatever kids from high school who really aren’t that bad but you definitely don’t want to hang out with them, but don’t have the heart to tell them so you feel bad because they’re actually really nice people

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #1387 on: April 17, 2023, 11:02:10 AM »
thrasher recognizes them as a legit company, no?

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #1388 on: April 17, 2023, 11:13:42 AM »
thrasher recognizes them as a legit company, no?

What even is thrasher these days

IpathCats

« Reply #1389 on: April 17, 2023, 11:17:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

A distinction without a difference.

You're missing the point here man. But alright, have a good one.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1390 on: April 17, 2023, 12:21:54 PM »
Worble are like those nerdy group of theater/band/whatever kids from high school who really aren’t that bad but you definitely don’t want to hang out with them, but don’t have the heart to tell them so you feel bad because they’re actually really nice people
I think this gets to why some people don’t like them - they’re not cool and they’re not trying to be. Skaters usually want to feel cool so it’s jarring to some old heads. I personally like them and would hang with them, but I have a soft spot for silliness.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1391 on: April 17, 2023, 04:22:49 PM »
Guy Mariano has bad style and probably should have stuck with crail..he hasn't had any clips since pretty sweet (11 years ago)

Flay me, idc

To your point, we may have never known about him if Gabriel Rodriguez didn’t make Stacy put him on Powell (along with Rudy and Paulo).

Don’t really feel the same way as you about Guy’s style, but Stacy didn’t necessarily see anything special about him either, not at first anyway.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -435
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1392 on: April 17, 2023, 04:58:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
FS noseslides do not count/are lame af if its out to fakie.
[close]
[close]

Note to self: I should not read this thread
[close]

That one went a little too close to the bone

KB is wildly, wildly overrated, nothin’ special

Nevermind, this was a downright moronical take

Stylin' On You threads are Facebook boomer-tier humor

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #1393 on: April 19, 2023, 01:46:28 PM »
Jah constantly does an excellent job of managing social media.  For the amount of shenanigans & edm events he participates in, insta stories + posts squeaky clean. Certain sponsors love him for not showcasing the dirt. Lastly ,please someone make a styling thread for Jah’s first pic on his coachella photo dump on insta.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1394 on: April 19, 2023, 01:54:58 PM »
Jah constantly does an excellent job of managing social media.  For the amount of shenanigans & edm events he participates in, insta stories + posts squeaky clean. Certain sponsors love him for not showcasing the dirt. Lastly ,please someone make a styling thread for Jah’s first pic on his coachella photo dump on insta.

There is absolutely no chance that Jah doesn't have a professional social media manager.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #1395 on: April 19, 2023, 04:07:39 PM »
Worble haters unite.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1396 on: April 19, 2023, 04:24:51 PM »
Actively disliking Worble seems like a forced cool guy take.

Sure maybe they're not your thing, yeah they have a gimmick, but idk how you can be against them. It's like y'all hate having fun and skating has to be this super serious, core, industry-focused endeavor. You guys only skate to get sponsored? Ever done a silly trick and laughed?

Let the dude put a piece of plywood on his head, and the other dude jump off a church, who gives a shit.

The whole Cobra Man thing is take or leave, but its still sick how they recorded originals for "their own" video, regardless of the band itself
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1397 on: April 19, 2023, 04:34:10 PM »
The whole Cobra Man thing is take or leave, but its still sick how they recorded originals for "their own" video, regardless of the band itself

The fact that the produced a wholly conceived skate video in the way that they did is something I consider to be laudable and incredible. No one puts that much energy and effort into the production, and you can accuse them of trying to use it to mask weak skating.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1398 on: April 19, 2023, 04:54:40 PM »
Sorry you guys, I am not VK420.  Would be a fun Fight Club style twist to discover that was the case though… living one life on the west coast, mere single digit miles away from the Heath hydrant - whilst living another in an unnamed North Carolina town, golfing with a +4 handicap and uploading unlisted YouTube videos in an attempt to prove my worth.

lurkluke

• Rep: 177
« Reply #1399 on: April 19, 2023, 05:00:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The fact that the produced a wholly conceived skate video in the way that they did is something I consider to be laudable and incredible. No one puts that much energy and effort into the production, and you can accuse them of trying to use it to mask weak skating.

I've gotten friends who don't skate, and have no idea what Worble is, into Cobra Man. They make some legit good party songs.

Also the graphics on the Worble videos are fantastic.

This is a really interesting use of 70s/80s TV ident aesthetic, solid font use, while not an outright bite of anyone's style. They aren't rehashing outrun/vaporwave, or doing ironic mullet and bell bottoms, or wrap around sunnies and spiky graphics like everyone else aiming for the same style.

There is an entire industry of designers who wish they could nail this as well as Worble.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1400 on: April 19, 2023, 05:10:38 PM »

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #1401 on: April 19, 2023, 06:39:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Feel the same way with Frog

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #1402 on: April 19, 2023, 06:44:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I've seen plenty of cool guys wearing or riding frog gear in socal
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1189
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1403 on: April 19, 2023, 09:37:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

I've seen plenty of cool guys wearing or riding frog gear in socal

Fake company in a fake state in a fake country on a fake planet
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

livin on a speyer

« Reply #1404 on: April 19, 2023, 10:33:33 PM »
I´m gonna start liking Worble now.

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1405 on: April 19, 2023, 10:46:20 PM »
Just learned benihanas thanks to the fly out spot at the local park and I plan to keep doing them.

Terminal

« Reply #1406 on: April 19, 2023, 11:19:06 PM »
The level of shit posting in UWTB seems to be in decline, I'm not angry about this but I am disappointed...

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #1407 on: April 20, 2023, 12:09:35 AM »
Being shitty is amazing, because at the age of 47, I can still learn new, low-hanging fruit tricks like bs slappy crooks.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

IpathCats

« Reply #1408 on: April 20, 2023, 05:51:43 AM »
I´m gonna start liking Worble now.

this was a solid joke.

meta

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #1409 on: April 20, 2023, 07:34:14 AM »
saw a non-skater (former skater?) wearing a worble tee in my shitty little midwest city, doesnt get more real than that