Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177411 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1980 on: July 15, 2023, 08:38:23 AM »
Is it unpopular to not like Tony Hawk as a personality? People get so hyped to have him on a podcast but man I can't stand listening to him. Respect the hell out of him of course tho

Gravette is forever fuckin sick

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1981 on: July 15, 2023, 08:47:32 AM »
Is it unpopular to not like Tony Hawk as a personality? People get so hyped to have him on a podcast but man I can't stand listening to him. Respect the hell out of him of course tho

Just anecdotally, it seems like TH had an upsurge of support on slap a year or two ago but that has since soured. 

My opinion: His kid is dating Kurt Cobain’s kid and that has created a critical mass of 90’s genetic nostalgia which has collapsed into a self-perpetuating wormhole radiating Hot Wheels and Bagel Bites collabs out into the universe to fund the man’s ever-growing fine wine and false eyebrow budget.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #1982 on: July 15, 2023, 09:05:35 AM »
New GX edit kinda bored me.   I liked the tricks, but the languid pace just makes me drift

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1983 on: July 15, 2023, 09:12:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just anecdotally, it seems like TH had an upsurge of support on slap a year or two ago but that has since soured. 

My opinion: His kid is dating Kurt Cobain’s kid and that has created a critical mass of 90’s genetic nostalgia which has collapsed into a self-perpetuating wormhole radiating Hot Wheels and Bagel Bites collabs out into the universe to fund the man’s ever-growing fine wine and false eyebrow budget.

Tony Hawk is like a CEO that can skateboard. It is amazing how much he has been able to grow skateboarding and still skate at the highest level. However, every now and then he does and says things that come off as too corporate. For instance, I was turned off by his statement about Mike Davis’ death. He wrote:

Skateboarding has lost a rare talent. Thank you Mike, for your tireless efforts in helping Birdhouse succeed, for always treating my kids with respect, and for doing things on a skateboard that we didn't think were possible, all while going through struggles of depths we never knew. I wish you could have pulled out of the downward spiral and accepted help. We'll miss you more than you'll ever know.

The bit about the ‘downward spiral’ and ‘accepting help’ is just totally unnecessary. It makes it sound like Mike had a choice but in his mind he probably didn’t see any hope.

manysnakes

« Reply #1984 on: July 15, 2023, 09:30:36 AM »
Hawk is overexposed, and will put his name on anything under the guise of “growing skateboarding”, even when it’s junk food, sports betting, whatever chintzy shit will pay him. I think I’d like him personally, but I can’t imagine not being sick of the guy.

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #1985 on: July 15, 2023, 10:12:00 AM »
Chris Athens kinda has wack style

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1986 on: July 15, 2023, 10:51:51 AM »
Quitting skating is fine.

I enjoy a nice diarrhea.
Agreed, if it no longer serves a purpose and causes you stress or you lose love or interest for it. We’re only guaranteed one life so might as well put your energy into the things  you love, and love for skating changes over time. Can always go back to it with a new perspective too
I did your mom

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #1987 on: July 15, 2023, 10:52:28 AM »

I feel this way about any video of rodney talking. 45mins of him trying to define skateboarding? hell no.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #1988 on: July 15, 2023, 03:26:52 PM »
I enjoy a nice diarrhea.
Im stoked if I do a nice, solid poop that slides out and doesn’t take any effort. But diarrhea? I dunno man that’s not really fun. If it were just one maybe I could see it but as soon as I release one diarrhea I know there’s more coming and by the third or fourth I’m really over it.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1989 on: July 15, 2023, 03:51:38 PM »

I'll die on this hill. Even though he's an old cornball these days I still think he doesn't get the respect he deserves for the level of rail skating he was doing in the mid-00s.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

veritas

« Reply #1990 on: July 15, 2023, 04:24:16 PM »
Hawk is overexposed, and will put his name on anything under the guise of “growing skateboarding”, even when it’s junk food, sports betting, whatever chintzy shit will pay him. I think I’d like him personally, but I can’t imagine not being sick of the guy.

I agree with all of this but he really is the cornerstone to skateboarding becoming more mainstream legitimized 20+ years ago. Especially with the amount of marriages he had he’s the one person I’d give a pass to for bagel bites and Lockheed Martin or whatever he’s doing mctwists for now

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1991 on: July 15, 2023, 04:59:03 PM »
I guess you could say repping Bagel Bites is for the birds  ;D
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1660
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #1992 on: July 15, 2023, 05:31:18 PM »
Expand Quote
I enjoy a nice diarrhea.
[close]
Im stoked if I do a nice, solid poop that slides out and doesn’t take any effort. But diarrhea? I dunno man that’s not really fun. If it were just one maybe I could see it but as soon as I release one diarrhea I know there’s more coming and by the third or fourth I’m really over it.

I'm not exactly tolerant of milk, not because I am a bigot, I just can't stomach it like I did in my youth.  However, I still enjoy waking out of a dead sleep to hit the toilet at 3 AM like a ton of bricks after drinking whole milk all night like a wombat, then going back to bed feeling victorious.

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1993 on: July 15, 2023, 06:06:34 PM »
GX1000 is boring and they do the same thing every video.
Miss you Rusty Berings

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -322
« Reply #1994 on: July 15, 2023, 06:37:08 PM »

The shitty wallride to hillbomb crew. I’m over it. I’ve seen enough faux crust punk looking dudes ride down hills.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #1995 on: July 15, 2023, 07:17:41 PM »
nah, GX1000 is the best

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1996 on: July 16, 2023, 05:00:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I enjoy a nice diarrhea.
[close]
[close]

I'm not exactly tolerant of milk, not because I am a bigot, I just can't stomach it like I did in my youth.  However, I still enjoy waking out of a dead sleep to hit the toilet at 3 AM like a ton of bricks after drinking whole milk all night like a wombat, then going back to bed feeling victorious.

Ever had a colonoscopy? They give you a laxative the day before and it’s like your soul evacuates your body from your butt.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1997 on: July 16, 2023, 06:18:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I enjoy a nice diarrhea.
[close]
[close]

[close]

Ever had a colonoscopy? They give you a laxative the day before and it’s like your soul evacuates your body from your butt.

In a good way or bad way?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1998 on: July 16, 2023, 06:26:40 AM »
Expand Quote
New GX edit kinda bored me.   I liked the tricks, but the languid pace just makes me drift
[close]
new vid was fucked up gnarly but i'd always rather watch them skate in SF

It just felt too much the same.   The Europe vid at least felt like branching out and trying new stuff

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1999 on: July 16, 2023, 07:18:53 AM »
I’d rather watch a primitive video….

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2000 on: July 16, 2023, 07:49:28 AM »

you could just say you cant skate hills

also you're doing incredible in the tdf rn. way strong. j.v. has the better team tho..

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2001 on: July 16, 2023, 08:19:46 AM »

I felt the same. At first was like here we go! but the locations were almost the same in every cut so it felt a little boring. I started to read the comments and 99% were like Viva Mexico! Mexico is the best! The best GX video ever! and chauvinism like that so I finished the video and watched the SF ones. Much better! I love GX1000 and it's the only company (including Hockey and Hotel Blue) I really support by buying a shirt or deck in every drop.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #2002 on: July 16, 2023, 12:31:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I enjoy a nice diarrhea.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Good, though a bit frightening. And DO NOT gamble a fart on the way to the toilet. You will lose.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

switchfakie

« Reply #2003 on: July 16, 2023, 12:37:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

also you're doing incredible in the tdf rn. way strong. j.v. has the better team tho..

idk man seems like a fair criticism. pretty boring to watching somebody do a 1 second trick and watch them ride down a hill for 9 seconds. rinse and repeat that for 10 minutes long

i get its amazing in person, ive been to SF, but if it doesnt look captivating on film, im not gonna blindly follow the mainstream and call it super cool when i have to use mental energy to understand that whats being done on the screen is actually fucked up rather than immediately knowing its fucked up just by seeing it

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #2004 on: July 16, 2023, 01:22:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is dumb and you know it

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2005 on: July 16, 2023, 01:34:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Robert Neal was like Bruce Banner and pushed Carlisle Aikens out the way and caught the full blast of this phenomenon
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2006 on: July 16, 2023, 01:57:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Its like you say I dont like Nyjah videopart cause I cant rock rails?

Weak point.
Miss you Rusty Berings

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -322
« Reply #2007 on: July 16, 2023, 05:02:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you could just say you cant skate hills.

I’ve bombed hills in the Adirondacks. Take a lap bud

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2008 on: July 16, 2023, 05:53:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I enjoy a nice diarrhea.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Good, though a bit frightening. And DO NOT gamble a fart on the way to the toilet. You will lose.

I learned that the hard way first time I went Keto.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2009 on: July 16, 2023, 07:04:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

you could just say you cant skate hills.
[close]

I’ve bombed hills in the Adirondacks. Take a lap bud

oh cool, you rode down a hill w/ 0 traffic. congrats on longboarding