Author Topic: Sk8 Mafia Decks  (Read 2418 times)

GroovySinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -79
Sk8 Mafia Decks
« on: January 01, 2023, 03:35:47 AM »
The few sk8 mafia decks I have skated were way better than any other decks I’ve skated before. Other brands that have good decks in my opinion are : expedition , zero, real , krooked , and chocolate decks. What companies do you guys think have good boards ?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
Re: Sk8 Mafia Decks
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 10:34:26 AM »
On the exception of Chocolate, all the other brands you mentioned use BBS/Generator wood.

So to add to that, AH18, Polar, Baker, etc are also great decks

GroovySinner

• Rep: -79
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 03:11:18 PM »
Chocolate boards are good in their own way except this one Elijah board I skated. I absolutely hated it maybe because it was an 8.5 and a weird shape but I say sk8 mafia and expedition were the best wood I skated . Deluxe boards used to be good for me espifically krooked and real but I can’t find a size that has the wheel base I want easily. I like 8.25 Zero boards because they are all basically the same so when you set up a new one you’re already used to it. The only one that was a different shape was gabbers first pro board I skated, it had more of a pointy baker shape and wasn’t flat so that was good

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 03:34:14 PM »
Have you heard of the enchanted kingdom, hidden and kept secret from all but the wisest, most knowledgeable users?
It is right in front of us, yet nearly invisible.
This magical place holds the answers to all of your questions & more.
And it is real.
Real, I tell you!

But you must promise not to let on that I’m the one that hipped you to the joint; it could ruin what little social standing I have with that crowd.  :-X

Here you go, and may gosh guide your every push.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 11:24:40 PM »
Have you heard of the enchanted kingdom, hidden and kept secret from all but the wisest, most knowledgeable users?
It is right in front of us, yet nearly invisible.
This magical place holds the answers to all of your questions & more.
And it is real.
Real, I tell you!

But you must promise not to let on that I’m the one that hipped you to the joint; it could ruin what little social standing I have with that crowd.  :-X

Here you go, and may gosh guide your every push.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

Ruve You Lou!!!

Reminds me I need to change that to 2023 Woodshop thread now too.

Time flies when you're having fun.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 09:13:21 PM »
Expedition is a thing again?

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 06:33:36 AM »
I remember skating a Sk8mafia deck that was marked 8.19 and it was one of the best boards I’ve skated. Like an OG Baker board feel but somehow better

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 04:00:07 PM »
Expedition is a thing again?

No they are and have been for a while, completely and utterly done, but there are still some out there in dark corners and sale bins.

Back when Kayo corp was a big thing with multiple brands under their umbrella, but now it is just DGK.

From Google:

The Kayo Corp Distribution was established in 2002 to house Expedition Skateboards, DGK Skateboards, Organika Skateboards, and Gold wheels.

Then disappeared June 2015.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 04:00:20 PM »
Which trucks pair well with a Sk8mafia deck? They are very flat w/mellow kicks

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 06:24:02 PM »
I remember skating a Sk8mafia deck that was marked 8.19 and it was one of the best boards I’ve skated. Like an OG Baker board feel but somehow better

If they're from HLC they will use similar dims as the Baker OG Mellow concave, short length with a long-ish wheelbase.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/sk8mafia-leaves-8-skateboard-deck-multi_p148836?scat=42&view=spec&brand_id=290
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/sk8mafia-gold-8-25-skateboard-deck-black-gold_p148863?scat=42&view=spec&brand_id=290
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

YeoWhattup

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 07:31:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If they're from HLC they will use similar dims as the Baker OG Mellow concave, short length with a long-ish wheelbase.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/sk8mafia-leaves-8-skateboard-deck-multi_p148836?scat=42&view=spec&brand_id=290
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/sk8mafia-gold-8-25-skateboard-deck-black-gold_p148863?scat=42&view=spec&brand_id=290
Thanks for this, might have to give them a try again

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 12:43:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thanks for this, might have to give them a try again

Forgot to add - tapered tips
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 05:05:18 PM »

Was that from quite a while ago now?

I had a few of those too, back when they were on BBS wood, being the same shape as I got for Baker and other boards out of BBS at the time too and yes they were amazing.

They are 100% now on HLC but as Rocklobster said, they are good and will skate fine.

YeoWhattup

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 07:01:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was that from quite a while ago now?

I had a few of those too, back when they were on BBS wood, being the same shape as I got for Baker and other boards out of BBS at the time too and yes they were amazing.

They are 100% now on HLC but as Rocklobster said, they are good and will skate fine.

It was from a while ago, I wanna say 2013. Damn 10 years flew by…
I’m gunna try one, haven’t skated an HLC board yet

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 02:11:02 PM »
Have someone mesured the length of an 8 inch deck, coz the sizes are way different in the different pages? Some are listed as 31.28. The same decks on other pages are listed as 32. I think it should be 31.28 coz most of the pages say this, but this thing with the online sizes is so fucked up, even in the offical pages of the companies. I would appreciate any insight in the true size.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 02:40:15 PM »
Have someone mesured the length of an 8 inch deck, coz the sizes are way different in the different pages? Some are listed as 31.28. The same decks on other pages are listed as 32. I think it should be 31.28 coz most of the pages say this, but this thing with the online sizes is so fucked up, even in the offical pages of the companies. I would appreciate any insight in the true size.

My understanding with HLC wood is they are all the same wheelbase and length, just different widths, for their standard boards.

So from what I looked up, 32 long with 14.125 or 14.25 wb is the common size and shape for the 8, 8.25 and others.

I could be wrong and I have not seen them in person, but other HLC boards are these dimensions.

El Freegano

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 03:20:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My understanding with HLC wood is they are all the same wheelbase and length, just different widths, for their standard boards.

So from what I looked up, 32 long with 14.125 or 14.25 wb is the common size and shape for the 8, 8.25 and others.

I could be wrong and I have not seen them in person, but other HLC boards are these dimensions.
From what i have seen, all the HLC made brands have the same wheelbase around 14.2 but there is difference in the length for low and high concave decks. I have some friends that have bought jart before and the 8 inch low concave was like 31.85 and the high concave was shorter, it is listed as 31.44. Recently a friend got  s cruzade deck and it was also high concave short board i guess 31.44. The stupid thing is when i ordered an 8 inch sour deck listed as 31.28, it came long, i messured it around 31.88, but the lazer engraving on the deck was 31.28, also the web pages (even the offical sour solution page) were 31.28... So now i am super curious about the sk8 mafia decks coz i found some on sale and i like the mellow concave from the photos, but i don't wanna risk again.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2023, 02:51:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
From what i have seen, all the HLC made brands have the same wheelbase around 14.2 but there is difference in the length for low and high concave decks. I have some friends that have bought jart before and the 8 inch low concave was like 31.85 and the high concave was shorter, it is listed as 31.44. Recently a friend got  s cruzade deck and it was also high concave short board i guess 31.44. The stupid thing is when i ordered an 8 inch sour deck listed as 31.28, it came long, i messured it around 31.88, but the lazer engraving on the deck was 31.28, also the web pages (even the offical sour solution page) were 31.28... So now i am super curious about the sk8 mafia decks coz i found some on sale and i like the mellow concave from the photos, but i don't wanna risk again.

That is interesting to know with the different shapes.

Apart from going somewhere that have them, or even trying to contact the place directly that have the ones you want, I don't know there would be any other way to check those specific lengths.

Email or call them and they may be able to measure them for you.

I recall one shop I was asking for dimensions and they didn't have a tape measure, but I knew they had another board I knew the dimensions on, so they put that against the other board I was asking about - same size, shape, etc, so that worked well enough in that situation.  Funny it was a Sk8 Mafia board they were checking, which was the same as the DLX 8.38 anyway, back when they were on BBS.

Just another option anyway.

El Freegano

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2023, 10:41:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Apart from going somewhere that have them, or even trying to contact the place directly that have the ones you want, I don't know there would be any other way to check those specific lengths.

I recall one shop I was asking for dimensions and they didn't have a tape measure, but I knew they had another board I knew the dimensions on, so they put that against the other board I was asking about - same size, shape, etc, so that worked well enough in that situation.  Funny it was a Sk8 Mafia board they were checking, which was the same as the DLX 8.38 anyway, back when they were on BBS.

I asked the shop and they said it is 32" long, which make sense considering that they are mellow concave. (Like the other brands from hlc - the low/mellow concave being longer and high/deep concave being shorter).

Bill Salt

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2023, 12:02:29 AM »
I'd say all BBS or PS manufactured decks...

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2023, 01:57:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I asked the shop and they said it is 32" long, which make sense considering that they are mellow concave. (Like the other brands from hlc - the low/mellow concave being longer and high/deep concave being shorter).

https://hlcskateboardfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/hlc-oem-skateboard-catalog.pdf

this might help y'all.
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

El Freegano

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2023, 07:24:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

https://hlcskateboardfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/hlc-oem-skateboard-catalog.pdf

this might help y'all.
Yes.This is it! The catalog seems right at least from the decks i have seen in person, but then in their own hlc disro page they have put wrong sizes for some of the decks, so lame.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2023, 08:28:23 AM »
They really like that 14.2 wheelbase, I guess.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2023, 09:37:59 AM »
My friend and I both got Sours right when SS2 dropped and both disliked em. They feel pointier than a Baker almost as if HLC tried to copy the shape and didn't nail it. The wood was stiff enough, but they didn't last super long and neither of us liked our shapes. They sorta make 2 basic shapes and just sand down to a specific width.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2024, 12:40:44 PM »
For those who want to buy sk8mafia, do not necessarily rely on the description of the lengths.. The label of the plastic in which my board was packaged, it was marked 8.1 X 32. I measured the deck, the length is 31.4. Odd.

It is true as mentioned above, on different shops the same deck can be marked 8.0 X 32 or 8.0 X 31.2.