Author Topic: What’s up with that Mark Gonzales brand?  (Read 2551 times)

fried_egg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
What’s up with that Mark Gonzales brand?
« on: January 01, 2023, 10:53:34 AM »
Does anyone know how this works? feels like a bootleg but I could be wrong.

Stuff like:

https://instagram.com/markgonzaleskids?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.buyma.us/items/find/mark-gonzales/men/clothing/

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 02:19:04 PM by fried_egg »

Mr. BoPep

• Rep: -5
Re: What’s up with that Mark Gonzales brand?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 03:10:28 PM »
  I live in Japan and Mark Gonzales brand clothes are sold at a lot of malls.  I just saw some Mark Gonzales socks the other day that are made by Kappa, the brand with the two naked chicks sitting next to each other.  You see a lot of random people that don’t seem like they actually know who the Gonz is walking around wearing his clothes as well as Thrasher, Vision Street Wear, and Airwalk that are still made over here?!

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 07:19:31 PM »
Damn, I fuck with the Mark Gonzalez brand.

thunderclap

• Rep: 1

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 06:20:53 AM »
He sold his name to a Japanese company much like bitch skateboards did back in the day which means they can (and will) print his shit on literally anything!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2155
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 11:36:17 AM »
He sold his name to a Japanese company much like bitch skateboards did back in the day which means they can (and will) print his shit on literally anything!
Now… when you say “sold his name,” you mean licensed the use of his name for specific purposes, am I correct?
That is to say, it is licensed for use on clothing, for example. I imagine you may be less likely to see it on an actual skateboard, as that would be in direct conflict/competition with another market segment his US based brand occupies.
Way I see it is: if Mark can secure a mid six figure salary for himself & family, just by faxing some napkin art to Japan a couple times a year, more power to him.
The street ware/fashion label also assures his lasting legacy as a “brand” in Japan, leaving open the possibility for celebrity endorsements later in life.
I was initially bummed by all of this when it 1st appeared on my radar way back when, but the longer I think about it, the more I like it and I’ve been thinking about it for some time now.
I’m on team wacky old skate pioneer.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

thunderclap

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 12:20:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Now… when you say “sold his name,” you mean licensed the use of his name for specific purposes, am I correct?
That is to say, it is licensed for use on clothing, for example. I imagine you may be less likely to see it on an actual skateboard, as that would be in direct conflict/competition with another market segment his US based brand occupies.
Way I see it is: if Mark can secure a mid six figure salary for himself & family, just by faxing some napkin art to Japan a couple times a year, more power to him.
The street ware/fashion label also assures his lasting legacy as a “brand” in Japan, leaving open the possibility for celebrity endorsements later in life.
I was initially bummed by all of this when it 1st appeared on my radar way back when, but the longer I think about it, the more I like it and I’ve been thinking about it for some time now.
His wife has mentioned they see $0 from all of this.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 03:55:46 PM »
Can you guys not recognize Korean

nothing's been the since same

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 04:12:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm excited to announce the upcoming launch of LOU STRUX clothing, available exclusively in the phillippines. All over print featuring @Lou Strux cominng to a filipino mall near you!!!!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 04:43:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
His wife has mentioned they see $0 from all of this.
then he should be mad at the person negotiating his deals then ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2023, 11:01:07 PM »
23 Windbreaker Line Up but to the tune of 14 Cheerleader Coldfront
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.