Author Topic: 2023 Skate/Trend Predictions  (Read 20084 times)

IpathCats

Re: 2023 Skate/Trend Predictions
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2023, 01:19:29 PM »
Expand Quote

This will have zero effect on skateboarding. Anyone who was gonna sit inside all day playing crash Bandicoot or whatever wasn't going to skate anyway
[close]

You’re looking at it from the perspective of a grown ass man dedicated to skating with disposable income though. The bulk of the skate industry is fueled by the financial decisions of teenagers and early 20-something’s who juggle skating with a wider variety of fleeting interests.

It’s not even about whether a kid is more into skating than gaming, it’s more how the value proposition of videogames shit on a lot of similarly priced activities. The 19 year old college student who typically buys 3-4 decks a year will probably just buy 1-2 because he bought Street Fighter 6 and Final Fantasy 16 during the summer.

Expand Quote

But it’s also 3 years of already sitting inside playing shit. I’m burnt out of my game
[close]

2020, yes…but beyond that not much has been released in videogames, so much more skating going on.

Seems like a reach man.

Skateboarding is not riding on the type of people that would prioritize gaming in that way

For every situation like the one you mentioned there will be someone who picks up skating or starts skating more.

lurkluke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 175
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2023, 02:20:09 PM »
Soap Shoes making a comeback in 2023

I can't help myself from watching soap (and now epic) videos. It's so damn funny when they land and have to do a little jog away. Whatever it is about that jog just gets me every time.

There's a few youtubers making regular content and I'm not sure if they are serious or joking.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 49
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2023, 01:54:57 AM »
I can't stand skate art done with old skateboards. I predict that 2023 will be the year people will look at the wood work of different things for the home made by old skateboards as boring and the fade will die.  ;D It's goofy and lame, just stop it. It was perhaps cool with the first artist or two doing it, but now it has been totally over done.

Or maybe I just need some morning coffee and some more sleep and not caring about this issue and let people be creative with old boards. fuck it.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2023, 03:39:52 AM »
I can't stand skate art done with old skateboards. I predict that 2023 will be the year people will look at the wood work of different things for the home made by old skateboards as boring and the fade will die.  ;D It's goofy and lame, just stop it. It was perhaps cool with the first artist or two doing it, but now it has been totally over done.

Or maybe I just need some morning coffee and some more sleep and not caring about this issue and let people be creative with old boards. fuck it.

Recycling stuff is pretty cool. I wish more people would make stuff and use 100% of old skateboards instead of using some tiny amount and generating more waste, so you do have a point.

benboardbreaker

« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2023, 04:40:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Recycling stuff is pretty cool. I wish more people would make stuff and use 100% of old skateboards instead of using some tiny amount and generating more waste, so you do have a point.

I agree recycling in general is a really good thing. The whole idea of giving old things a new life is something we need much more of. I am just really over seeing skaters making a fruit bowls out of old boards, like it was some unique art.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2023, 05:10:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I agree recycling in general is a really good thing. The whole idea of giving old things a new life is something we need much more of. I am just really over seeing skaters making a fruit bowls out of old boards, like it was some unique art.

Counterpoint - Akwasí Owusu🇬🇭

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

benboardbreaker

« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2023, 01:05:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Counterpoint - Akwasí Owusu🇬🇭

That guy is the exception to the main rule. What he does looks dope though.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2023, 08:10:45 AM »
Braden Hoban

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2023, 09:50:25 AM »
2023 is the year we figure out how many angels can dance on the aglet of an Emerica.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2023, 09:58:10 AM »
2023 year of the fedora

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2023, 01:54:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can't help myself from watching soap (and now epic) videos. It's so damn funny when they land and have to do a little jog away. Whatever it is about that jog just gets me every time.

There's a few youtubers making regular content and I'm not sure if they are serious or joking.

You're def doing something wrong if you make rollerblading look as sick as skateboarding by comparison.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Evrart Claire

• Rep: -16
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2023, 02:03:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

lmao this has to be a bit

RoughStylin

• Rep: 33
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2023, 04:48:39 PM »
Guy Mariano will win 2023 SOTY.

He’s been quietly stacking clips for the better half of a decade and will release his 3 song part later in the year for Nike. It will be a legacy SOTY pick and will bring justice to his miss in 2012.

Watch this space.

(Admittedly haven’t closely followed the thread to see if anyone else has made this call)

Heshrat

• Rep: -11
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2023, 05:03:24 PM »
More reggae in skate parts  8)
I did your mom

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2023, 08:05:23 PM »

He’s been quietly stacking clips for the better half of a decade and will release his 3 song part later in the year for Nike. It will be a legacy SOTY pick and will bring justice to his miss in 2012.

Watch this space.

(Admittedly haven’t closely followed the thread to see if anyone else has made this call)

This is my long-shot SOTY 2023 pick, too. A “lifetime SOTY” for a couple of great parts, much as happened with AVE.

boogs

« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2023, 05:49:15 AM »
More reggae in skate parts  8)
fuck yeah

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2023, 03:52:49 PM »
Loud hard wheel noises will be edited into footage because every single pro skater secretly rides dragon wheels

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2023, 03:55:07 PM »
People will start riding destructo trucks

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2023, 04:35:09 PM »
Might sound weird but while I think pants will stay pretty baggy, I think tee shirts are going to get more fitted.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2023, 06:45:34 AM »
2023 is the year of the Leo Romerossance.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2023, 06:56:43 AM »
Expand Quote

Watch this space.

[close]

This is my long-shot SOTY 2023 pick, too. A “lifetime SOTY” for a couple of great parts, much as happened with AVE.

I still miss the 2015 mariano who was posting insta clips everyday
Last part he had was a berrics type shit 8 fucking years ago  ;D

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2023, 07:11:41 AM »
2023 is the year of the Leo Romerossance.

He's still capable of putting out a great part. I'd love to see it.

johnny radcakes

• Rep: -1
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2023, 07:18:25 AM »
mj has been hiding out in the mountains, 'working on himself'. he makes a stunning return w/ a full head of hair [inexplicably] and all the tech moves we know and love.

Mallie

• Rep: 37
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2023, 07:40:24 AM »
Farm skating. Like wallrides on giant pumpkins, bs smith a tractor, etc.

Is that the idea for Louie Barletta's new brand?

Someone said it's mostly Enjoi team (their current crop (badum-tschhhh) of ams look like they'd rip in a barn), an other guy (Cody Mac, of course) and a legacy pro out of left field (Muska after he heals).

It's all coming together, my brothers.
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

djoekr

• Rep: 300
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2023, 07:47:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Farm skating. Like wallrides on giant pumpkins, bs smith a tractor, etc.
[close]

Is that the idea for Louie Barletta's new brand?

Someone said it's mostly Enjoi team (their current crop (badum-tschhhh) of ams look like they'd rip in a barn), an other guy (Cody Mac, of course) and a legacy pro out of left field (Muska after he heals).

It's all coming together, my brothers.

ABD by Tom Day

Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

one-off

• Rep: 107
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2023, 07:50:43 AM »

next trend is making boards out of Eames chairs and ottomans and using them strictly to huck

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2023, 07:58:32 AM »
ABD by Tom Day

That was one of the sickest parts I've seen. That backyard is awesomely innovative.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2023, 08:01:23 AM »

Why are you're saying such mean things about my sporks made from old decks?  :'( :'( :'(

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2023, 08:04:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Why are you're saying such mean things about my sporks made from old decks?  :'( :'( :'(

You make sporks out of old decks? That's awesome. Good way to recycle. Do you sell them?
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2023, 08:19:48 AM »

ABD by Tom Day

Absolutely lovely. Thank you for that.
After watching, I feel like we can hand this Tom Day dude the crustiest spots award: sorry east coasters, I think this guy may have just snatched your honorarium.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?