Author Topic: 2023 Skate/Trend Predictions  (Read 19992 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
Re: 2023 Skate/Trend Predictions
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2023, 07:28:34 AM »
Wishful thinking, but:

No more clips of skaters annoying/fighting random people and being stupid assholes in videos, only good vibes, skaters performing good deeds, just being nice and spreading love.
<3

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2023, 07:36:48 AM »
Wishful thinking, but:

No more clips of skaters annoying/fighting random people and being stupid assholes in videos, only good vibes, skaters performing good deeds, just being nice and spreading love.
<3

I'd be up for seeing more love and less hate. Let's hope this continues to come true.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2023, 08:15:27 AM »
Wishful thinking, but:

<3

In his most recent video, there's that clip of Spanky helping the old lady down the stairs and it's way cooler than yet another fight with a security guard making $14/h.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2023, 08:19:26 AM »
Dunks hype will die out among zoomer skaters

Not saying this is the case for you, but this sentiment gets repeated every year and it's usually someone who is mad that they can't buy Dunks because the normies are snatching them up.

truthislie

• Rep: 55
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2023, 08:22:17 AM »
Brimmed Muska-style beanies.

Evrart Claire

• Rep: -16
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2023, 08:59:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Dunks hype will die out among zoomer skaters
[close]

Not saying this is the case for you, but this sentiment gets repeated every year and it's usually someone who is mad that they can't buy Dunks because the normies are snatching them up.

Maybe it's just whishful thinking that zoomers can escape the honestly really depressing consumerism culture they participate in
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 09:14:21 AM by Evrart Claire »

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2023, 09:00:50 AM »
You guys are way too harsh in Penny in 2023, he put out some great footy for eS last year!

Not tryna be a bitch whatsoever, just an observation.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

fernando the skater

• Rep: 99
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2023, 09:11:17 AM »
Dumber Youtube content: I've already been recommended a longest ollie ever video.

Artisanal, curated skate sessions: skate with your favourite pro, at a price (Nyjah $100,000)

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2023, 09:12:12 AM »
Wishful thinking, but:

<3

Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2023, 09:38:39 AM »
Wishful thinking, but:

<3
Casper Brooker checking on a pedestrian in Paris he ran into is much better than some hellride dude launching his board into a crowd/traffic.

These things stand out in videos and should be focused on

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2023, 09:41:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Wishful thinking, but:

<3
[close]
Casper Brooker checking on a pedestrian in Paris he ran into is much better than some hellride dude launching his board into a crowd/traffic.

lol i love that Casper clip.

Along with more love - let's just not let that translate to even more extended clips of crews hugging out every trick

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2023, 09:41:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Wishful thinking, but:

<3
[close]

Thought the homeless guy was Eli Reed for a second

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2023, 09:48:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Wishful thinking, but:

<3
[close]

Easy now…..don’t focus on it…..just less of the other shit and sprinkle in some positivity…..

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2023, 10:29:48 AM »
 Full part of homie huggin'.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2023, 10:31:51 AM »
In a subtle response to all the controversy, SOTY deliberately does not go to a skater who dropped ten parts in between October and December. Someone who puts out great footage spread throughout the year with a killer part dropping in fall/winter will win.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 162
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2023, 10:35:47 AM »
Nine Club finally embraces their Joe Rogan tendencies and becomes a hit with the alt right crowd

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2023, 10:43:37 AM »
A Supreme skater will get sober and find Jesus. Supreme will embrace this and become even more insufferable

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2023, 11:35:39 AM »
Nine Club finally embraces their Joe Rogan tendencies and becomes a hit with the alt right crowd

What’s the average age of the guests?  I think they are already straddling it…..

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2023, 11:48:30 AM »
Two words: Air Pockets. Nike, DC, possibly even an Adidas or one of the new Asics skate line shoes. The people will rejoice (me).

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2023, 12:20:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What’s the average age of the guests?  I think they are already straddling it…..

I guess I mean they start sharing some fried conspiracy takes that catch on outside of skating, and Crob, Eldy, Kelly become alt right celebs.  They’re already buds with Mikey Taylor so anything’s possible.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2023, 12:21:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I guess I mean they start sharing some fried conspiracy takes that catch on outside of skating, and Crob, Eldy, Kelly become alt right celebs.  They’re already buds with Mikey Taylor so anything’s possible.
Tim Pool supposedly skates

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2023, 12:33:24 PM »

I feel like they're slowly inching that way with some of their recent guests like Gary V. From what I can gather, I believe it's Roger who is really into the self-help stuff. I recall seeing a copy of Think and Grow Rich as a BGP in a few episodes. I assume it's his, but I could be wrong. With the list of pros willing to go onto the show getting shorter and shorter, don't be surprised if they descend further into the abyss (red pill, manosphere, crypto BS, etc...) for content.

I can see it already:

Jordan Peterson | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 666

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 274
  • often correct
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2023, 12:46:36 PM »
polar's reign over alt-skateboarding (or whatever you want to call it) will start to falter, their last video will be seen as the beginning of the end

new balance numeric is gonna have a big year

KB will finally drop a part

we will see very little "noteworthy" content released on thrasher's channels, and much more on brand/individual channels. similarly, the SOTY race will never be as intense as it was in 2022

tyshawn will frontside flip the train tracks and/or ollie two stacked tables

a baker/deathwish SOTY, most likely brian o'dwyer or pedro delfino

the palace video will be VOTY

big headphones will be the new hot accessory

i will learn at least one new trick
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 02:45:38 PM by Ignatius J Reilly »

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2023, 12:55:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like they're slowly inching that way with some of their recent guests like Gary V. From what I can gather, I believe it's Roger who is really into the self-help stuff. I recall seeing a copy of Think and Grow Rich as a BGP in a few episodes. I assume it's his, but I could be wrong. With the list of pros willing to go onto the show getting shorter and shorter, don't be surprised if they descend further into the abyss (red pill, manosphere, crypto BS, etc...) for content.

I can see it already:

Jordan Peterson | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 666

Exactly, with the excpetion of Jeron, they’re all this dangerous mix of hungry to grow their audience beyond skating and lacking in topics to cover or genuine insight to share.  The algorithm will only push them further and further down the rabbit hole.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2023, 12:58:44 PM »
unpopular prediction - tight pants will not have a big come back in 2023. Tight pants are still the main cut of suburban parents, and today's teens spent a decade being dressed by their parents in tight pants, so tight pants won't be widely recognized as a symbol of cool youthful resistance. A teenage skater wearing tight pants right now is not likely to get props for being cool or original from their peers. Baggy pants have crossed the tipping point into mainstream appeal so their growth will continue outside of the skate world. The early rumblings of a tight pants wave-to-come might be going on this but it won't have very widespread adoption, probably not for several more years IMO.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2023, 01:12:16 PM »
unpopular prediction - tight pants will not have a big come back in 2023. Tight pants are still the main cut of suburban parents, and today's teens spent a decade being dressed by their parents in tight pants, so tight pants won't be widely recognized as a symbol of cool youthful resistance. A teenage skater wearing tight pants right now is not likely to get props for being cool or original from their peers. Baggy pants have crossed the tipping point into mainstream appeal so their growth will continue outside of the skate world. The early rumblings of a tight pants wave-to-come might be going on this but it won't have very widespread adoption, probably not for several more years IMO.

Agreed. Tight pants are still absolutely everywhere outside of skateboarding. It's clear that baggy clothes in general are working their way back into fashion (you can see that with the wildly popular J Crew "Giant Fit" chino), but it will take a few years of normies wearings Polar Big Boys before you see skinny pants emerge as a reaction against that.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2023, 02:07:56 PM »
don’t lump think and grow rich in with alt right/rogan nonsense

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2023, 02:13:56 PM »
Year of the "Combo":

Ledge trick to manuals are going to be big in 2023 and by the end of the year will be played out.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2023, 02:22:16 PM »
Year of the "Combo":

Ledge trick to manuals are going to be big in 2023 and by the end of the year will be played out.

Harken back to the days of Mullens. I'd be okay with that.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2023, 02:31:24 PM »
Year of the "Combo":

I feel like Casper shut that one down for good this year.

Edit: last year obvs.