Author Topic: 2023 Skate/Trend Predictions  (Read 20048 times)

Filip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
Re: 2023 Skate/Trend Predictions
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2023, 02:17:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Year of the "Combo":

Ledge trick to manuals are going to be big in 2023 and by the end of the year will be played out.
[close]

I feel like Casper shut that one down for good this year.

Edit: last year obvs.

Casper and Dilo, two champs of that shit and I love it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2023, 02:28:21 AM »
Two words: Air Pockets. Nike, DC, possibly even an Adidas or one of the new Asics skate line shoes. The people will rejoice (me).
Think ASICS thing is they don't do air they have gel. And in Japan they've already had some gel shoes so that's probably coming up for the rest of the world too

10staircoffin

• Rep: 12
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2023, 02:33:48 AM »
Wheel wells on regular decks to become way more common in 2023, following in the footsteps of Polar who seemed to find some love for them from the big wheel loose truck brigade.

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2023, 02:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Two words: Air Pockets. Nike, DC, possibly even an Adidas or one of the new Asics skate line shoes. The people will rejoice (me).
[close]
Think ASICS thing is they don't do air they have gel. And in Japan they've already had some gel shoes so that's probably coming up for the rest of the world too

Holy shit those are heinous, maybe Asics will be the Puma 2.0
:p

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2023, 03:31:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They're definatly a Homer Simpsons car of a shoe. Individually each feature could probably be ok but all together doesn't look great.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2023, 05:41:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They make the Nyjah look like the first Air Jordan. Those shoes are absolutely hideous.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2023, 07:22:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i tried to watch the clip in the second slide but it didn't work, then i realized that it's a screen shot from a clip, why would they use that as a product shot is beyond me, doesn't look good at all
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

HiltonPartinez

• Rep: 63
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2023, 07:33:08 AM »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2023, 08:55:12 AM »
Expand Quote
I appreciate how shamelessly Jenkem mines Slap for content.

My prediction is that we will see some serious shakeouts in the industry. Everyone's account is the same - skateboard companies went hog wild ordering decks and other gear after the initial Covid shortage, which peaked early, and are now sitting on hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in aging inventory. I wouldn't be surprised if a big brand like Dwindle falls on seriously hard times. Going to be another year of dirt cheap skateboard decks available online.
[close]

This

Pay cuts are coming

Even more FA/Hockey sales

Skate shops will hurt because of it

It's pretty funny to note that as far back as the heady days of 2021, FA/Hockey was really pushing for $70 skateboards and clearly trying to move the industry in this direction. Now, FA can be seen as undercutting their dealers and the industry as a whole by selling their extremely desirable, top quality decks with grip for ~$30 per unit.

I bought five of them and it averaged out to $27 per deck, shipped to my door. This means I won't buy another skateboard deck for at least all of 2023, and also it conditions me to never, ever spend more than ~$45 on a deck because there's always another blowout sale around the corner.

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2023, 06:52:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮 Those shoes are so ugly.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2023, 07:10:23 AM »
What's up with the notched sole thing? Is that supposed to serve a purpose other than looking like ugly rubber claws gripping your shoe?

sle_epy

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2023, 07:19:58 AM »
What's up with the notched sole thing? Is that supposed to serve a purpose other than looking like ugly rubber claws gripping your shoe?

It's like a bad take on that one old school DC sole.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2023, 07:44:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hahaha i kinda like this. That being said I have a history of loving hideous, god awful, reviled shows, specifically the Koston 3’s and the hack pack Blazers so my opinion is probably not worth much.

Personally I’m stoked on Asics getting in the game - their non skate shoes were better than 75% of the actual skate specific shoes I’ve had in the last 5 years or so. Luckily it looks like they have some pretty straight forward skate models coming instead of just this wild shit. think I saw a promising dunk-like posted on their insta at some point.

sle_epy

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2023, 07:47:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hahaha i kinda like this. That being said I have a history of loving hideous, god awful, reviled shows, specifically the Koston 3’s and the hack pack Blazers so my opinion is probably not worth much.

Personally I’m stoked on Asics getting in the game - their non skate shoes were better than 75% of the actual skate specific shoes I’ve had in the last 5 years or so. Luckily it looks like they have some pretty straight forward skate models coming instead of just this wild shit. think I saw a promising dunk-like posted on their insta at some point.

I've always thought the k3's were sick looking. Sadly every shoe he has had on Nike was ass.

IpathCats

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2023, 07:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

as gross as these are, the lace design is good and should be replicated on more shoes.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2023, 08:21:15 AM »
those are disgusting but the shoes ive seen for the global program look pretty good

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2023, 08:31:14 AM »
if the sole wasn't weird, and maybe the rubber toe cap wasnt so big those would be cool

i like the tongue and sillouette
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

sle_epy

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2023, 08:47:08 AM »
if the sole wasn't weird, and maybe the rubber toe cap wasnt so big those would be cool

i like the tongue and sillouette

Those rubber squares on the sole seem like they'd detach pretty quick.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2023, 09:23:53 AM »
Are they just prototypes or what? It looks like you can see the glue all around the side of the sole which makes me also think they would come apart pretty quickly. I do like Asics and had a pair of running shoes that lasted for 2-3 years. The rubber toe cap coming off is the main reason I don't wear them anymore.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2023, 09:27:56 AM »
Are they just prototypes or what? It looks like you can see the glue all around the side of the sole which makes me also think they would come apart pretty quickly. I do like Asics and had a pair of running shoes that lasted for 2-3 years. The rubber toe cap coming off is the main reason I don't wear them anymore.
I don't think prototypes as that shoes been around for a while. Could be a sample for that colour but my guess would be just such small runs being made they aren't putting a ton of money into perfecting production yet. (That photo was also pretty old)

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2023, 10:13:11 AM »
Maybe this has been said already but I think cross locking rails will be looked at as inferior to a straight heel/toe side lock. Alexis ramirez newest part has some good examples.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2023, 11:28:29 AM »
Tastefully done “illegal” tricks.
Fakie V flips / heels
Switch V flips
Fakie inward heels etc…
People are gonna run out of tricks that “nobody” does.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2023, 11:41:16 AM »
If the kids could emulate this era/stay in this zone for a while before going back to the skinny stuff or would be nice. Doesn't have to be forever but for the year at least

IpathCats

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2023, 11:46:10 AM »
Tastefully done “illegal” tricks.
Fakie V flips / heels
Switch V flips
Fakie inward heels etc…
People are gonna run out of tricks that “nobody” does.

I'm all for this.

Love seeing gross trick work. makes me really appreciate the skater.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2023, 11:49:48 AM »
What’s even illegal anymore?

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2023, 01:00:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
They're definatly a Homer Simpsons car of a shoe. Individually each feature could probably be ok but all together doesn't look great.

It’s like a trail runner and a soccer shoe had a threeway with a skate shoe. An ugly skate shoe, with self image issues. I’m not gonna say it was non-consensual, but there’s heavy overtones of manipulation.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -439
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2023, 10:49:04 PM »
Late 180 / late flip stuff is in big

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 87
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2023, 02:34:41 AM »
Beanies with visor.

Heshrat

• Rep: -12
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2023, 10:14:05 AM »

tails, lips, and smiths done nollie
I did your mom

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2023, 10:19:51 AM »

do younger skaters even care? i saw a group of young guys (like 18 year olds) trying benihanas at the skatepark recently
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?