Author Topic: Jackson PILZ of Enjoi  (Read 8783 times)

sid vicious

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jackson PILZ of Enjoi
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2023, 12:19:24 AM »
whole team was told they won't be paid this year, hence the exodus including Louie

HeavyLow

• Rep: 9
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2023, 12:47:59 AM »
Don't know if this is wild or not, but would Deathwish be an option?

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2023, 01:09:37 AM »
whole team was told they won't be paid this year, hence the exodus including Louie

I don’t know why some skateboarders accept this. If I ain’t getting paid, I’m out.

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2023, 03:58:15 AM »
Enjoi it while it lasts
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2023, 05:15:39 AM »
Seem strange that enjoi would fall apart now. They've seen better days sure but Louie put together a pretty good roster and they seemed pretty solid again. It's probably dwindle or whoever owns them now fucking up. Of course they drop the ball when things start going good for enjoi. I guess enjoi will be peddled hard at walmart now with the darkstar stuff.

I agree that they've definitely had better days and that Louie did a great job taking the helm and restoring a bit of excitement in the brand.
However, globally the economy is fucked, the fallout of covid has finally taken its impact on peoples spending and what's more, decks are the most expensive they have ever been but the public's salaries haven't gone up.

I think it's less dropping the ball and more a "last dance" situation. Go out swinging rather than fade away, it's probably been a known fact for a while they wouldn't be getting paid and now we are seeing people get to the end of their contracts and announce their free agency.

For sure Enjoi will be reduced to a panda logo and mass-produced for big box stores.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2023, 06:32:01 AM »

Just dropping this here, the video made it seem like they had turned a corner with a refreshed team after BoS.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2023, 06:43:31 AM »

Just dropping this here, the video made it seem like they had turned a corner with a refreshed team after BoS.

BoS= bag of suck? That was like 20 years ago they'd refreshed plenty since then.
Unfortunately there's two sides with the more corpo skate business the team/product/videos we see and then the actual suits.
I think new deal and dekline both released videos right as the companies went under

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2023, 06:57:44 AM »
It doesn't matter who Louie puts on the team or how epic their trip videos are, the only thing that really matters is selling skateboard decks and every indication right now is that there are several million or tens of millions more unsold decks in circulation than for which exists a demand. Everyone who went ham ordering decks during the early pandemic shortage is taking a massive haircut. It's one thing if you're FA and you have a solid brand with a lot of desirable soft goods and probably a decent balance sheet, but if you are an also-ran like Dwindle, you're stuck with tens of thousands of Darkstar, Almost, etc. decks you're trying to sell for $35.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 07:05:43 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2023, 07:05:49 AM »
i bought a spectrum board out of respect for what seems like the end of the company. really liked enjoi, if they were under DLX i feel like they would have faired better. pretty good run for a brand that should have folded 4 or 5 times already. surprised they would cut off the entire team like that. that sucks if its true.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2023, 07:07:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

BoS= bag of suck? That was like 20 years ago they'd refreshed plenty since then.
Unfortunately there's two sides with the more corpo skate business the team/product/videos we see and then the actual suits.
I think new deal and dekline both released videos right as the companies went under

So did Ipath but it was guised as 'The Other Ones' when the whole time was 86'd with a full project already capped

D10S

• Rep: -53
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2023, 07:34:46 AM »
jackson to the craig camp?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2023, 07:45:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

BoS was released in 2006, so 17 years ago, but still feels like a lifetime ago. Everything post-BoS is a blur to me, watched Bonus Round once but I wasn't skating during that time.

Is it confirmed that Enjoi is done or just speculating since 1/2 the team bailed and there are rumors of riders going months without pay?

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2023, 07:52:15 AM »
Samaria on real? Ska8mafia? Krooked?

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2023, 08:10:47 AM »
I could see him on 18 or Krooked. Got it all

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2023, 08:16:01 AM »
How many pros/ams on all of dwindle? Or is it only enjoi going under. Some new brands would have to start

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2023, 08:51:09 AM »
How many pros/ams on all of dwindle? Or is it only enjoi going under. Some new brands would have to start

That presumes that there's actually room in the marketplace for more professional skateboarders, which I am not sure is the case any longer.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2023, 08:55:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So did Ipath but it was guised as 'The Other Ones' when the whole time was 86'd with a full project already capped

Splitting hairs here (and maybe just filling out details of what you wrote), but The Other Ones was released independent of iPath, which still existed at the time. Most of the footage was indeed intended for an iPath video, but then-owners Timberland sold the company in 2011 and most of the team got cut (but not all the team, as some folks like Uncle Freddy remained on iPath for a few more years). The new owners had no interest in funding the release of the video.
Videographer Thad Croskey pooled resources with a bunch of the skaters and released The Other Ones independently.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2023, 09:01:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That presumes that there's actually room in the marketplace for more professional skateboarders, which I am not sure is the case any longer.
Yeah it's gonna be weird. Like skateboardings middle class just being gone.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2023, 09:11:41 AM »
Hoping Jax has been sitting on footage. That can happen when a brand is on the way out. Maybe stacking for a new company. Seems to be a footy machine from what I saw on KOTR(I know this was a while ago).
 I could see him in the baker camp.

Always really like enjoi, one of the few brands holding on to the much needed sense of humor in skating. That said, I’ve never owned a board but I have had some merch. Only reason is not finding the right shape when I’m in the market for a board, which is rare these days.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2023, 09:34:33 AM »

They did: Madness/Monarch

Hard to fathom either selling better than Enjoi but it’s possible; hell Darkstar is still around so that shit sells somewhere right??

Almost dried up when Song/Haslam bailed.

Still some of the best boards out (R7s); DSM will probably stick around.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2023, 10:34:56 AM »

Monarch or Santa cruz

boogs

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2023, 11:14:09 AM »
It doesn't matter who Louie puts on the team or how epic their trip videos are, the only thing that really matters is selling skateboard decks and every indication right now is that there are several million or tens of millions more unsold decks in circulation than for which exists a demand. Everyone who went ham ordering decks during the early pandemic shortage is taking a massive haircut. It's one thing if you're FA and you have a solid brand with a lot of desirable soft goods and probably a decent balance sheet, but if you are an also-ran like Dwindle, you're stuck with tens of thousands of Darkstar, Almost, etc. decks you're trying to sell for $35.
This guy knows what he’s taking about

OwlGreen

• Rep: -126
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2023, 11:44:35 AM »
Margins weren't great on $60 boards 3 years ago. Now they're worse. No one's willing to pay $70 for a Dwindle board. Their wood is good at the moment. I'd be happy to pay $35 for blanks from their woodshop. I guess Dwindle goes the way of Wet Willy. The only pros on the team will be a couple of graphic designers.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2023, 11:59:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah it's gonna be weird. Like skateboardings middle class just being gone.

I feel like this has been the case for at least a decade, probably longer.

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2023, 12:03:39 PM »
I guess it's time for me to stock up on a few sale enjoi boards then...

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2023, 12:24:47 PM »

I assume There Skateboards which means she'd be on a DLX brand which would be cool.

That sucks Louie tried to take the reigns of Enjoi only to suffer the same issues as when Matt Eversole ran the team. Enjoi was such a fun company but I am just not sure if that fits in today's market.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2023, 02:28:51 PM »
I could see him on 18 or Krooked. Got it all

He was amazing in kotr but he kinda blew it by not following it up with a killer part. He didn't take advantage of the momentum he had and people slowly forgot about him. I know he had a kid and put on some weight but he should've had better sponsors by now. I hope he gets on something good and starts producing again.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2023, 05:40:31 PM »

Wonderful, I can feel my fear of scarcity acting up already.

If Dwindle is really going tits up then TJ Rogers must be feeling really bummed after re-signing with Blind.

Edit: looking at the Sale section of Thank You Supply - my guess is Enjoi followed by Almost sell the worst of the 5 boards brands under the Dwindle umbrella.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2023, 05:45:29 PM »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2023, 09:02:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wonderful, I can feel my fear of scarcity acting up already.

If Dwindle is really going tits up then TJ Rogers must be feeling really bummed after re-signing with Blind.

Edit: looking at the Sale section of Thank You Supply - my guess is Enjoi followed by Almost sell the worst of the 5 boards brands under the Dwindle umbrella.
Weird I would of def thought enjoi sold the best and almost second. I guess with all the price point blind and darkstars I can see them not being top but I've rarely even seen a madness or monarch in real life before. Maybe they're thinking monarch will pay off more after next Olympics