Author Topic: Why is it trendy to shit on Emerica?  (Read 21320 times)

SlapTM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 242
Re: Why is it trendy to shit on Emerica?
« Reply #330 on: June 08, 2023, 11:49:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The problem is there's clearly old ass folk out here literally saying  "oh no don't put money in Nike and Adidas' pockets, put them in Emerica, Etnies and Lakai's"

Which is basically "instead of giving money to these huge corporations, give it to these not as big but still big corporations for old times sake, oh and at least 7/10 times you'll receive a far inferior product too."

Same argument goes for the slave labour stuff. These companies made the wrong decisions at the wrong time and now they produce shite and are very far away from being 'core'. Their only argument to stay is history and 'old times sake'. They can't take on the big dogs and they'll have to regress in production and ownership massively to be taken seriously again.

They aren't the best quality, don't have the best riders, don't produce products sustainably, aren't actually owned by skaters and possibly aren't all that ethical too. That's why they can no longer progress anymore, they barely have a leg to stand on when it comes down to a debate. A company's aim/direction and message is important, else it's just average branding and product, which is what they've basically become.
[close]
Only posting in here to correct a few things above and I can only speak for the Sole Tech brands but it is actually fully owned and operate by skaters. Not only that but "ethical" skaters as well like even the entire Etnies "Buy a shoe, plant a tree" program or the L.A. mission givebacks to the needy on top of others. Also, I would never refer to Sole Tech as a "big corporation". Emerica is literally just a few of us and Es and Etnies are the same way. We're all skateboarders and probably as core as it gets honestly.
[close]

This is my response to Sole Tech not being a huge corporation and or just some "core skateboarders"

"A Malibu estate owned by French-born former professional freestyle skateboarder turned sneaker and apparel tycoon Pierre-André Senizergues has popped up for sale on the open market at $20 million. Property records indicate Monsieur Senizergues, who owns the ubiquitous Etnies brand among other skateboard-related footwear and apparel brands, acquired the bluff-top spread on prestigious and celeb-favored Point Dume in late 2004 for $10.35 million"

--- If you think "core skateboards" are buying homes for $10.35 million and selling those homes for $20 million.........I got a great deal on real estate on Mars for you. I know this is your job Emerica TM but come on dog....come on dog???
Few things here, whatever Pierre has done in his personal life or his "financial investments" outside of skateboarding, doesn't reflect how a business is corporate or in this case how Emerica and the other Sole Tech brands aren't core. Also, as you can read in whatever article you found this was back in 2004 which was the peak of core brands. Sorry but this assumption is pretty fried. That's like trying to claim that Prod or Nyjah's companies aren't core because they were successful at one point or another. Emerica is as core as it gets. Literally only a couple employees all of which live and breathe skateboarding.

Funny enough, the house being discussed was a fully skateable house known as "The Skateboard House" so I mean if that doesn't prove how much dedication and love he has for skateboarding, I don't know what will.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #331 on: June 08, 2023, 11:57:35 AM »
Great response. 

In the spirit of being open and transparent, Don Brown’s apparent support of Taylor Silverman (liking her insta posts, and seemed like perhaps she received product) really bothered me and was something I had to get past before supporting a SoleTech shoe again.  Spanky being the pro in question with the KSL made me feel differently enough… but can you shed some light on whether or not SoleTech actually did support her?

YMCMB

• Rep: 50
« Reply #332 on: June 08, 2023, 12:02:16 PM »
I want to support Soletech but the shoes often fit my feet poorly.
Also the Canadian Distro Timebomb just axed a bunch of team dudes other than employees room mates/friends so thats kind of fried.

SlapTM

« Reply #333 on: June 08, 2023, 12:12:32 PM »
Great response. 

In the spirit of being open and transparent, Don Brown’s apparent support of Taylor Silverman (liking her insta posts, and seemed like perhaps she received product) really bothered me and was something I had to get past before supporting a SoleTech shoe again.  Spanky being the pro in question with the KSL made me feel differently enough… but can you shed some light on whether or not SoleTech actually did support her?
To my knowledge, I have not heard of anyone supporting her. I can however guarantee you that Emerica hasn't and will not as I oversee the brand. Glad to hear that you were stoked on the KSL though!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #334 on: June 08, 2023, 12:18:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Great response. 

[close]
To my knowledge, I have not heard of anyone supporting her. I can however guarantee you that Emerica hasn't and will not as I oversee the brand. Glad to hear that you were stoked on the KSL though!

oh c'mon, man.

SlapTM

« Reply #335 on: June 08, 2023, 01:15:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Great response. 

[close]
[close]

oh c'mon, man.
Why would I lie? I honestly barely even know who she is as the first time and last time I ever heard about her was when she made that post. She's not on my radar one bit and actually forgot about he to be honest . Even if someone did ever hook her up (not saying someone did), you think they're just going to randomly bring up it up and tell me?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: June 08, 2023, 01:34:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Great response. 

[close]
[close]

oh c'mon, man.
[close]
Why would I lie? I honestly barely even know who she is as the first time and last time I ever heard about her was when she made that post. She's not on my radar one bit and actually forgot about he to be honest . Even if someone did ever hook her up (not saying someone did), you think they're just going to randomly bring up it up and tell me?

It gets brought up kind of a lot, as well as other really objectionable politics that heads of Sole Tech have supported rather publicly. Considering how closely you seem to pay attention to any topic pertaining to Sole Tech, this cannot possibly be news to you.

And I get it, I've had shithead bosses too. But you can't go sniffing out each and every criticism they receive and then act surprised when confronted with a criticism that most would consider pretty indefensible. You can't have it both ways.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #337 on: June 08, 2023, 01:39:14 PM »
I think it's weird that Sole Tech doesn't have any female pros, across three brands. And, I'm talking fully on, paycheck, colorway, picture on the website.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #338 on: June 08, 2023, 01:43:26 PM »
I think it's weird that Sole Tech doesn't have any female pros, across three brands. And, I'm talking fully on, paycheck, colorway, picture on the website.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #339 on: June 08, 2023, 01:57:01 PM »
I just had to Google Taylor Silverman. Wow, fuck her.

SlapTM

« Reply #340 on: June 08, 2023, 02:03:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Great response. 

[close]
[close]

oh c'mon, man.
[close]
[close]

It gets brought up kind of a lot, as well as other really objectionable politics that heads of Sole Tech have supported rather publicly. Considering how closely you seem to pay attention to any topic pertaining to Sole Tech, this cannot possibly be news to you.

And I get it, I've had shithead bosses too. But you can't go sniffing out each and every criticism they receive and then act surprised when confronted with a criticism that most would consider pretty indefensible. You can't have it both ways.
Hey man it's cool, you can believe or assume whatever you want as no matter what I say, it won't change your opinion or thoughts. I guess I'd have to know what other politics you're talking about to really comment on anything else. If we're talking this one topic or person, I have zero mutual followers on social with them, haven't seen any sort of marketing, nor heard anything. Each brand seeds out products to tons of people whether it's the hometown hero, shop employees, flow riders, flow bros, etc. I don't know who each brand outside of Emerica sends or doesn't send product to. You're acting as if Es has like given her ads or posted her and I'm just turning a blind eye or being ignorant. You're absolutely right I do pay attention but you don't ever see me posting in regards to Etnies or Es. Emerica has been my favorite brand since 2003 and I have tunnel vision for it given the role I have so Emerica is my only focus. For the record, I don't think I've acted surprised in any way, I just explain my side and that's it and will always be more than happy to do so.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: June 08, 2023, 02:20:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Great response. 

[close]
[close]

oh c'mon, man.
[close]
[close]

[close]
Hey man it's cool, you can believe or assume whatever you want as no matter what I say, it won't change your opinion or thoughts. I guess I'd have to know what other politics you're talking about to really comment on anything else. If we're talking this one topic or person, I have zero mutual followers on social with them, haven't seen any sort of marketing, nor heard anything. Each brand seeds out products to tons of people whether it's the hometown hero, shop employees, flow riders, flow bros, etc. I don't know who each brand outside of Emerica sends or doesn't send product to. You're acting as if Es has like given her ads or posted her and I'm just turning a blind eye or being ignorant. You're absolutely right I do pay attention but you don't ever see me posting in regards to Etnies or Es. Emerica has been my favorite brand since 2003 and I have tunnel vision for it given the role I have so Emerica is my only focus. For the record, I don't think I've acted surprised in any way, I just explain my side and that's it and will always be more than happy to do so.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #342 on: June 08, 2023, 02:26:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The problem is there's clearly old ass folk out here literally saying  "oh no don't put money in Nike and Adidas' pockets, put them in Emerica, Etnies and Lakai's"

Which is basically "instead of giving money to these huge corporations, give it to these not as big but still big corporations for old times sake, oh and at least 7/10 times you'll receive a far inferior product too."

Same argument goes for the slave labour stuff. These companies made the wrong decisions at the wrong time and now they produce shite and are very far away from being 'core'. Their only argument to stay is history and 'old times sake'. They can't take on the big dogs and they'll have to regress in production and ownership massively to be taken seriously again.

They aren't the best quality, don't have the best riders, don't produce products sustainably, aren't actually owned by skaters and possibly aren't all that ethical too. That's why they can no longer progress anymore, they barely have a leg to stand on when it comes down to a debate. A company's aim/direction and message is important, else it's just average branding and product, which is what they've basically become.
[close]
Only posting in here to correct a few things above and I can only speak for the Sole Tech brands but it is actually fully owned and operate by skaters. Not only that but "ethical" skaters as well like even the entire Etnies "Buy a shoe, plant a tree" program or the L.A. mission givebacks to the needy on top of others. Also, I would never refer to Sole Tech as a "big corporation". Emerica is literally just a few of us and Es and Etnies are the same way. We're all skateboarders and probably as core as it gets honestly.
[close]

This is my response to Sole Tech not being a huge corporation and or just some "core skateboarders"

"A Malibu estate owned by French-born former professional freestyle skateboarder turned sneaker and apparel tycoon Pierre-André Senizergues has popped up for sale on the open market at $20 million. Property records indicate Monsieur Senizergues, who owns the ubiquitous Etnies brand among other skateboard-related footwear and apparel brands, acquired the bluff-top spread on prestigious and celeb-favored Point Dume in late 2004 for $10.35 million"

--- If you think "core skateboards" are buying homes for $10.35 million and selling those homes for $20 million.........I got a great deal on real estate on Mars for you. I know this is your job Emerica TM but come on dog....come on dog???
[close]
... Emerica is as core as it gets. Literally only a couple employees all of which live and breathe skateboarding.

You obviously haven’t heard of Nebraska Grip Co.

“If it ain’t Nebraska, it ain’t core!”
-every single skateboarder

“If it ain’t Nebraska, they support Taylor Silverman!”
-🙄

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #343 on: June 08, 2023, 02:29:40 PM »
Bring back Szafransky's first shoe and I'll happily look the other way on any and every human rights transgression committed by this once stalwart skate brand.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #344 on: June 09, 2023, 05:50:20 AM »
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Jawn Gyatti

• Rep: 6
« Reply #345 on: June 25, 2023, 11:48:06 AM »

They're waiting for Stella to go pro so they can bring back the Reynolds.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #346 on: June 25, 2023, 07:48:57 PM »
I think the points being made about the behavior of the founders and owners are pretty weak in all honesty. What a person buys with their own money is really their business, and not inherently indicative of someone being anti-skater. The whole idea of being "core" is absurd, there is not a single large scale company in the industry that is "core". What does it really matter if a company is run by a skateboarder or not, it doesn't mean they're any more/less out of touch with the demands of skaters. Every major brand nowadays is so far away from being core that it's pointless to even debate about that. Just look at shoes: Nike is huge, Adidas is right behind them, New Balance behind them, Vans doing billions annually, Last Resort started by trying to sell to fashion stores and were failing until Pontus got involved and revamped it into a skate shoe company, Lakai is owned by a Japanese conglomerate (as is HUF) and run by execs, DC is owned by another massive company, even Fallen is owned by yet another investment group. At this point just focus on the product, teams, and business practices. That's all that actually matters. And that's where the biggest issues actually are. If you really want to something to discuss, why don't you point out the fact that Emerica's own website undercuts the shops it's trying to sell to? After talking to my local shop owner it became kind of apparent that shops can't afford to buy product that will sit in backstock, and regardless of how good or bad the product might be, your local shop can't compete with perpetual 20% coupons, free shipping, and ever falling prices. I can go right now and buy a pair of all-black Gamma's (a decent shoe) for $24 plus shipping. MSRP is $84.99, but through Emerica I can buy three pair for the price I would pay at another store. Putting small shops out of business isn't core. It's just bad business.
Expand Quote
[close]

They're waiting for Stella to go pro so they can bring back the Reynolds.
Should put her on Etnies and call her sig shoe the Estella
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 08:38:26 PM by thehogsniper »

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #347 on: June 25, 2023, 08:11:17 PM »
Ok, but why is it spelled Emerica?

one-off

• Rep: 107
« Reply #348 on: June 25, 2023, 08:44:56 PM »
Bring back Szafransky's first shoe and I'll happily look the other way on any and every human rights transgression committed by this once stalwart skate brand.

Amazing post the word “stalwart” is not used nearly enough here