Author Topic: Moving to HD - Reasons Against HMC150?  (Read 607 times)

pj chad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Moving to HD - Reasons Against HMC150?
« on: December 30, 2022, 08:06:33 AM »
Hi,

All of my life I've been filming with VX1000's, but my local shop is moving to HD for its next project. I've spent some time researching cameras that fit within the $400-$700 range, and I'd prefer to rule out the HVX/HPX due to the ridiculous P2 cards. Speaking of, why is it that the HVX200 became the skateboarding HD standard, vs HMC150? The HVX200 is 2lbs heavier because of the rarely used tape deck, and a 64GB P2 card is $200+?

As far as I'm aware, these are the downsides of the HMC150:
  • Color space has 4:2:0 color space vs HVX which uses 4:2:2
  • Does not natively support full HD (1080 60P)
  • SD Cards have a slower transfer rate vs P2 cards?
  • Will need to purchase that 72MM universal Mk1 fisheye adapter in order to use current VX1 MK1

I'm really hoping for insight or other recommendations that may fall within the above price range before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
Re: Moving to HD - Reasons Against HMC150?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 04:23:45 PM »
I'd personally find out what the main filmer is shooting on, then match the camera specs and there ya go. They're shooting on a HPX or a newer cam? You'll probably want a 200A, or HPX170. If they're shooting on a DSLR or something similar, the HMC150 will do ya fine.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 04:33:52 PM »
panasonic ccd cams like the hmc150 are gonna be closest to what you're used to. the hmc150 is a little lighter than the hpx170 and you prob wont notice the different codec one it goes to web. sd card is a plus too. they do film 1080/60i but i dont really see anyone using that option. i dont think theres anything new out these days in that price range. the canon XA series with 58mm mounts do 1080/60 and are closer to vx size in hand, could search used.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 06:30:57 PM »
if they shoot with a dslr or fs5, they will want something of higher quality then the hpx hmx hvx.
a dslr shoots at least 1080 and is usually oversharp. the 3 cameras listed before shoot 720 (their 1080 is a fake one).

if they shoot with a hpx, then hpx hmc and hvx are the best match.

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 03:52:58 PM »
I always just figured there were way more HVXs produced than HMCs. Also skaters are rough with their shit and P2 cards stand up very well to abuse. I have like 4 of the 16gig cards but rarely used more than 2 on any given day of filming. Maybe I'm just more judicious about what to film, I wasn't going out with a crew, just my main man. I would also cheat a little and film 720/30p native to fit more on the card (there's a quote of Richard Quintero saying Bill Strobeck used to do this, maybe he still does). I feel like you can't really tell the difference unless there's a lot of panning and zooming going on.

arewedeadyet

• Rep: 42
    • Video*Days avatar image
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 04:16:56 PM »
I always just figured there were way more HVXs produced than HMCs. Also skaters are rough with their shit and P2 cards stand up very well to abuse. I have like 4 of the 16gig cards but rarely used more than 2 on any given day of filming. Maybe I'm just more judicious about what to film, I wasn't going out with a crew, just my main man. I would also cheat a little and film 720/30p native to fit more on the card (there's a quote of Richard Quintero saying Bill Strobeck used to do this, maybe he still does). I feel like you can't really tell the difference unless there's a lot of panning and zooming going on.

Nah, Bill doesn't shoot 30p anymore. He films in 60p. Pretty much did that just during the quicksilver days.
I think the Panasonics solidified a look in skating, but thats not to say you can't recreate that with other cams.
I've been filming skating with the Sony ax700 lately and find that I can achieve the same exact look while being able to shoot 1080/60p.

https://imgur.com/a/kkHJ3qw

Either of those could have been shot on the HPX and I don't believe anyone could tell the difference.

-Richard