Author Topic: Walker Ryan "Textures" Part  (Read 6855 times)

Doosh215

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
Re: Walker Ryan "Textures" Part
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2023, 01:36:54 PM »
If he got a board on Habitat I would buy it immediately

Local skater

• Rep: -27
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2023, 03:37:32 PM »
Intro was a bit lame , otherwise part was good

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2023, 04:03:47 PM »
one of the best out there. seems like a really nice dude too. unfortunately, i think he doesn't do himself a lot of favors sponsor-wise with the whole "wife guy" thing and stuff like the IG clip of  him reading his own book while doing a nose manual nollie tre in nyc. none of it is especially egregious but it's not super surprising to me he hasn't been able to land on one of the trendier brands... but ffs he at least deserves to be on Habitat or something (Austyn is way cornier and seems like a dick comparatively). whatever harmless corniness is vastly dwarfed by his skill, productivity, and seemingly solid nice-guy personality. hope some decent brands recognize that soon because i would love to continue to see him supported to do this level of skating for another few years, and he's clearly capable of it.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2023, 04:25:10 PM »
Unless I’m looking at an out of date Nike SB team page, I hope Nike gives him more than just free shoes. He put an amazing 8 min part out there and the only recognizable products were his dumb Nikes. Pretty fucking lame if they don’t send him some sorta photo/video incentive pay.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2023, 08:00:36 PM »
Hard to be a square in the skate industry. Walker rips
The chillest1

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2023, 10:13:07 PM »
Unless I’m looking at an out of date Nike SB team page, I hope Nike gives him more than just free shoes. He put an amazing 8 min part out there and the only recognizable products were his dumb Nikes. Pretty fucking lame if they don’t send him some sorta photo/video incentive pay.

He's definitely just flow. Maybe he gets some photo/video incentive, but he's not fully on the team.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2023, 11:36:25 PM »
walker ryan, sebo walker, austyn gillette, and mark suciu should start their own brand called cheugy skateboards

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 468
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2023, 09:08:12 AM »
I love him but can't resist calling this part The White Brotus

Serious vibes on that tip...

I know the switch bs 360 kickflip is the pinnacle trick he did on that 1PP set (I think that's where it is, don't quote me), but the rarely seen nollie big flip was the real standout to me. 
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

RoughStylin

• Rep: 33
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2023, 11:40:26 AM »
Dude is unbelievable!

A couple of repeat tricks. For example, why include the first switch back bigspin when you’ve got a better one later. Same for switch backside flip and switch impossible.

The switch impossible over the rail would’ve hit so much harder if it was the first time we saw him do the trick in the part.

Tricks like the varial heelflip over the rail were very welcomed, as it was totally different to his expected switch backside schtick.

That being said, can’t really be too critical of a part that finishes with a switch backside 360 kickflip down a set of stairs.

He really should have a comfortable board and shoe sponsor. He comes across as decent and well spoken in his podcast, so I’m not exactly sure why the industry has given him the cold shoulder.

Habitat/Nike/LRG would be a great fit.

RoughStylin

• Rep: 33
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2023, 11:45:54 AM »
Side note: how the fuck was this dude on SOVRN until only a few weeks ago? Boggles the mind. That’s like Cariuma Skateboards.

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2023, 01:34:47 PM »
I vaguely remember him being a pretty open believer in some conspiracy theories. Maybe that's the reason why nobody wants to put him on.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2023, 02:04:28 PM »
I vaguely remember him being a pretty open believer in some conspiracy theories. Maybe that's the reason why nobody wants to put him on.

Speaking of theories, can you explain the 'who pulled seven' tattoo you have?

I have "Who Pulled Seven?" tattoo'd on my ankle as a tribute to my late father and a reminder to myself to question things that we may be told that simply don't make logical sense. My father was very passionate about uncovering what really happened on 9/11, because there are countless holes in the story we are told to believe. "Who Pulled Seven?" refers to World Trade Center Building Seven which completely collapsed over seven hours after the two towers came down. No one was in the building, so no one was killed, and the destruction of the building was kind of swept under the rug and the explanation for it coming down was due to fire. The building was 47 stories tall and it’s the only steel skyscaper in history to collapse completely "due to a fire." We'll probably never know what happened or why, but there are things that happened on 9/11 that were definitely covered up. My tattoo is a reminder to myself to never stop questioning.

Are you generally into conspiracy theories or just that one? I personally love to hear them, any other good ones you've heard or lean towards?

My friends and I are pretty sure Apple makes their chargers white so they're easier to lose. Haha, I'm just kidding. Generally I'm not super into conspiracy theories. I find some very interesting, but I don't consume too much of my time looking into them. The pursuit of the conspiracy is a frustrating one. Most questions that spark conspiracy theories are so daunting and scary, unless you’re going to dedicate your life to uncovering them, you’re probably not going to get anything positive out of looking into them. Much of what happened on September 11th that doesn’t make sense will probably always remain a mystery. And for all the families that suffered loss from that tragedy, I think that is super sad. More than being into conspiracies, I just like to remain aware. Read, research, and always try to see both sides to an issue.

KBizzle

• Rep: -18
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2023, 09:09:54 PM »
His Instagram story today was pretty dope, broke down the entire video part.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2023, 01:29:48 PM »
Seems like one of those situations where either A: He doesn't care about pursuing skating and getting fully on companies or B: He's a bit of a dork and maybe teams don't really fuck with him, because clearly his skating isn't the issue and you don't just choose SOVRN over other brands if you have the option.

It is funny how everyone just assumes every skater that puts anything out is desperate to get fully hooked up, maybe he's just a nerd.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2023, 03:21:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have "Who Pulled Seven?" tattoo'd on my ankle as a tribute to my late father and a reminder to myself to question things that we may be told that simply don't make logical sense. My father was very passionate about uncovering what really happened on 9/11, because there are countless holes in the story we are told to believe. "Who Pulled Seven?" refers to World Trade Center Building Seven which completely collapsed over seven hours after the two towers came down. No one was in the building, so no one was killed, and the destruction of the building was kind of swept under the rug and the explanation for it coming down was due to fire. The building was 47 stories tall and it’s the only steel skyscaper in history to collapse completely "due to a fire." We'll probably never know what happened or why, but there are things that happened on 9/11 that were definitely covered up. My tattoo is a reminder to myself to never stop questioning.

Are you generally into conspiracy theories or just that one? I personally love to hear them, any other good ones you've heard or lean towards?

My friends and I are pretty sure Apple makes their chargers white so they're easier to lose. Haha, I'm just kidding. Generally I'm not super into conspiracy theories. I find some very interesting, but I don't consume too much of my time looking into them. The pursuit of the conspiracy is a frustrating one. Most questions that spark conspiracy theories are so daunting and scary, unless you’re going to dedicate your life to uncovering them, you’re probably not going to get anything positive out of looking into them. Much of what happened on September 11th that doesn’t make sense will probably always remain a mystery. And for all the families that suffered loss from that tragedy, I think that is super sad. More than being into conspiracies, I just like to remain aware. Read, research, and always try to see both sides to an issue.

“the official 9/11 narrative is sus” is pretty low on the conspiracy theory spectrum imo and honestly holds quite a lot of water. it doesn’t seem like he’s into pizzagate or Qanon weird child trafficking illuminati shit at all so I’m not inclined to think much more of it. From what I can tell, his politics seem relatively left of center and he’s not an antivax conspiracy nut.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2023, 05:46:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

“the official 9/11 narrative is sus” is pretty low on the conspiracy theory spectrum imo and honestly holds quite a lot of water. it doesn’t seem like he’s into pizzagate or Qanon weird child trafficking illuminati shit at all so I’m not inclined to think much more of it. From what I can tell, his politics seem relatively left of center and he’s not an antivax conspiracy nut.

Agreed. This was meant to negate the comment I quoted.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2226
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2023, 11:15:15 AM »
Finally watched the part. And figured out the answer to the question "How can someone this good not have a legit board sponsor?" It's the backwards hat. Definitely the backwards hat.

Different hat, totally different skater.

Roy Machine

« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2023, 12:48:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Well if someone has a tattoo referring a conspiracy theroy, even it's a widely accepted one, I as a company wouldn't want to touch him. The tattoo makes the difference not the part about questioning 9/11

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 162
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2023, 12:58:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Well if someone has a tattoo referring a conspiracy theroy, even it's a widely accepted one, I as a company wouldn't want to touch him. The tattoo makes the difference not the part about questioning 9/11

Skating should be welcoming characters like this.  Obviously Puleo level numerology would be a step too far, but this isn’t the typical corporate environment, skaters can have actual personalities.  And, gasp, tattoos.  With context it seems this was about a connection with his dad, if anything Walker is too bland and well adjusted to provide the image a lot of brands covet.  But on a more bookish team like Habitat or Sci-Fi he fits.  He’s also getting older and went to a Berra/Mikey Taylor board brand after Organika went away.  He’s fine, it’s just more about your brand than your skating these days, unless the perfect company comes along who really gets what you do and knows how to partner with and market you

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2023, 01:02:18 PM »
forgotten TWS part w/Busenitz and Walker Ryan

Clicked for Walker, got stoked for Pepper and Matthews. Stank you!

Roy Machine

« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2023, 01:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Skating should be welcoming characters like this.  Obviously Puleo level numerology would be a step too far, but this isn’t the typical corporate environment, skaters can have actual personalities.  And, gasp, tattoos.  With context it seems this was about a connection with his dad, if anything Walker is too bland and well adjusted to provide the image a lot of brands covet.  But on a more bookish team like Habitat or Sci-Fi he fits.  He’s also getting older and went to a Berra/Mikey Taylor board brand after Organika went away.  He’s fine, it’s just more about your brand than your skating these days, unless the perfect company comes along who really gets what you do and knows how to partner with and market you

Well maybe it's the combination of both which makes him unattractive to companies. On the one hand he's too bland and the other hand he also has that weird tattoo. Together the risk seems higher than the reward.

For a company like sci-fi the risk is probably pretty low but if we talk about Nike, Adidas etc we talk about corporate environment and they are too scared to put on a guy with a conspiracy tattoo my friend.

If he was covered with tattoos it would be ok. But it looks like he just has this one? Or maybe this one and small number of others. That makes it weirder.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2023, 01:29:18 PM »
He talks about this part a little bit in this pod, it was an entertaining listen

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2023, 01:52:04 PM »
You guys are fucked and I think Watson is the closest to being correct.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

OhioGuy

• Rep: 64
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2023, 03:40:19 PM »
He talks about this part a little bit in this pod, it was an entertaining listen

Yeah I think his lack of sponsors is mainly due to his age and bad luck. Luckily I don’t take most of these companies seriously anyway. It’s never been about pure talent. Gotta have the right image and now the right people.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2023, 06:21:24 PM »
He's got a Thrasher interview up and reveals he's made basically no money from skating since the DVS reboot fell through, so like 4 or 5 years or so?

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/walker-ryan-s-last-pro-interview/

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2023, 07:06:19 PM »
jesus christ. imagine doing all this for the love of the game for almost a decade, while married no less!

"I currently make zero money from skateboarding brands."

fuck that noise. dude needs a steady.

as an aside, the constant travel/digital nomad thing kinda sounds banging. before i got a job in seattle i thought about doing that, and i have always regretted not trying.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

OhioGuy

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2023, 09:11:04 PM »
He's got a Thrasher interview up and reveals he's made basically no money from skating since the DVS reboot fell through, so like 4 or 5 years or so?

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/walker-ryan-s-last-pro-interview/
Good interview, someone needs to give him a job or sponsor him. Someone with his talent should be on a team and getting a steady check, even if it’s only a few thousand a month. This industry is weird, too many pros are barely getting by. But I agree with him, I think a lot of these companies don’t pay well cause they know most of these guys aren’t in it for the money, they’d be doing this shit either way. Still, pay them!

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2023, 05:11:18 AM »
Any EU folk know where to buy his books over here?

OhioGuy

« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2023, 05:14:01 AM »
It’s self-published so you could probably get it on Kindle on Amazon. You won’t be able to find it in any stores, not even in the states.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2023, 05:22:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It’s self-published so you could probably get it on Kindle on Amazon. You won’t be able to find it in any stores, not even in the states.
I don't do Amazon. I'll just DM him.

Edit: There is a link to buy it on his instagram page. Works out at 37 USD to get it here to France. Its been along week not sure why I didn't check there first.