Author Topic: Street wheels  (Read 1193 times)

AdditionalSlip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -27
Street wheels
« on: January 10, 2023, 02:26:12 AM »
I need new wheels, I've been riding formula fours for years and I could do with a change. I'm looking for something big, 99a, that I can ride everywhere. I push around town a lot, wide spitfires have done me well, I'm worried bones will feel too plasticky and hard for pushing through rough. I might go with OJ elites, anyone know how they do as an atv wheel?

Edit: I've thought about dragons and I'm a bit hesitant, I've had 97a formula four and it's not the feel Im looking for
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:35:12 AM by AdditionalSlip »

elegant_fox

Re: Street wheels
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 06:50:43 AM »
I ride everywhere in my city on the East Coast so I have to deal with some pretty bad pavement and Dragons or similar wheels are about the only way around it or jumping up to 58mm+. 52mm 99a is a West Coast wheel or only if you pitch up in a plaza or skate park. The smallest real street wheel folks will go around here is 54mm due to the roughness.

What I've found is:

• Spitfires = walk to spots
  • Dragons = skate to spots.

I personally still skate more consistently on Spitfires, but I don't like giving up the ability to ride. It's all about what you value more, performance vs flexibility.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 06:13:05 PM by elegant_fox »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 07:20:00 AM »
i would just get the dragons. they actually slide really good on noseslides and powerslides for such a soft wheel, thats sort of the point of it. you could get really soft cruiser wheels like 87a but they dont noseslide well at all you will just stick unless you have a ton of wax. the downside of soft wheels is they feel a bit slower but thats the tradeoff they feel way smoother.
ONTARIO CANADA

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 08:08:37 AM »
anyone tried the mini-logo 95a wheels? Just curious about them for a cheap wheel for rough ground.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 302
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 08:19:36 AM »
anyone tried the mini-logo 95a wheels? Just curious about them for a cheap wheel for rough ground.
i have never tried the mini-logos, but for an extra $20 to get dragons which are highly favored by many slap users seems like a no brainer. you get what you pay for  ;)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 08:29:03 AM »
Did we need another wheels thread?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 302
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 08:30:40 AM »

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 08:37:27 AM »

69woodpusher69

• Rep: 3

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 09:06:45 AM »
I need new wheels, I've been riding formula fours for years and I could do with a change. I'm looking for something big, 99a, that I can ride everywhere. I push around town a lot, wide spitfires have done me well, I'm worried bones will feel too plasticky and hard for pushing through rough. I might go with OJ elites, anyone know how they do as an atv wheel?

Edit: I've thought about dragons and I'm a bit hesitant, I've had 97a formula four and it's not the feel Im looking for

Change isn't alway good. Maybe something else in your life is causing this ache? How's the job? Significant other? Not had a pay raise in awhile? Feel in a rut? Lot of good things just come your way but still feeling unsatisfied? unfulfilled? Reached a significant age where you are wondering what's next? Life is hard but you already have good wheels.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 10:11:54 AM »

I actually rode the mini logo 90a (55mm) today to rethink skating softer wheels on my main setup and then bought dragons right after.

Mini logo 90 wheels are absolutely amazing. Super smooth and fast, they even noseslide ok. They do absolutely NOT work for any pinched grinds, but other than that I'd be perfectly happy with the ML90.

I also recently rode the ML95 (52mm) and they feel pretty much the same as the 90s, just a bit faster and I did manage to land a few crooked grinds on a super waxed ledge, but you reaalllly need to push them to work. I'm sure I could have done that with the 90a on that ledge as well.

So generally for rough ground I'd recommend just getting the 90a, even smoother and pinched grinds don't work right anyway. I hope that's what's gonna be different with the dragons...

Gotta say I'm amazed by mini logo products, never tried their harder wheels though

AdditionalSlip

• Rep: -27
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 11:49:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Change isn't alway good. Maybe something else in your life is causing this ache? How's the job? Significant other? Not had a pay raise in awhile? Feel in a rut? Lot of good things just come your way but still feeling unsatisfied? unfulfilled? Reached a significant age where you are wondering what's next? Life is hard but you already have good wheels.

Thanks

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 12:06:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I actually rode the mini logo 90a (55mm) today to rethink skating softer wheels on my main setup and then bought dragons right after.

Mini logo 90 wheels are absolutely amazing. Super smooth and fast, they even noseslide ok. They do absolutely NOT work for any pinched grinds, but other than that I'd be perfectly happy with the ML90.

I also recently rode the ML95 (52mm) and they feel pretty much the same as the 90s, just a bit faster and I did manage to land a few crooked grinds on a super waxed ledge, but you reaalllly need to push them to work. I'm sure I could have done that with the 90a on that ledge as well.

So generally for rough ground I'd recommend just getting the 90a, even smoother and pinched grinds don't work right anyway. I hope that's what's gonna be different with the dragons...

Gotta say I'm amazed by mini logo products, never tried their harder wheels though
thanks for the in-depth reply. Much appreciated.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 02:07:49 PM »
Bones x97s is the answer.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 08:59:31 AM »
I ride everywhere in my city on the East Coast so I have to deal with some pretty bad pavement and Dragons or similar wheels are about the only way around it or jumping up to 58mm+. 52mm 99a is a West Coast wheel or only if you pitch up in a plaza or skate park. The smallest real street wheel folks will go around here is 54mm due to the roughness.

What I've found is:

I personally still skate more consistently on Spitfires, but I don't like giving up the ability to ride. It's all about what you value more, performance vs flexibility.

Preach!

I too prefer my spits. If the dragons werked better on smooth concrete it would be a wrap.

Rn it's

Spit f4 #1
Dragons #1
Loops #3

Everyone else.

Are dragons made in the USA?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 09:01:17 AM »
Bones x97s is the answer.

This is probably the truth.

It's very close to an f4 too. Just a little smoother
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 12:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote

What I've found is:

[close]

Preach!

I too prefer my spits. If the dragons werked better on smooth concrete it would be a wrap.

Rn it's

Spit f4 #1
Dragons #1
Loops #3

Everyone else.

Are dragons made in the USA?

Skateone/Powell makes most of their stuff in house, so I imagine these are USA made.