Author Topic: Dumb things you thought about skateboarding when you were a kid  (Read 18006 times)

dill8849

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -42
Re: Dumb things you thought about skateboarding when you were a kid
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2023, 06:45:57 AM »
My brother convinced me that I couldn't wear skateboarding brand clothes until I was good otherwise I was a poser.

When I first started, I didn't realize decks came in different widths and didn't think it mattered until my mom bought me a 7.5" and I couldn't kickflip due to over flipping.

manysnakes

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2023, 06:53:40 AM »
I grew up in Missouri during the Satanic Panic so there was always an ambient fear of "Satanism" all around, so when I was like 8 or 9 and someone told me that Natas was Satan spelled backwards, it blew my mind. I assumed it was because his parents, rather than being the polite Lithuanian immigrates expecting a daughter named "Natasha", were actually evil Satanists from a 1980s horror film who were trying to have an IRL "Rosemary's Baby".

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2023, 06:53:55 AM »
Mine has to do more with my early misconception of skateboarders in general. The people I hung out with were assholes and would constantly low blow you when fucking up.

I grew up to realize I was just hanging around assholes. Kids these days have it nice. So much camaraderie.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2023, 07:02:32 AM »
I wore massive ugly yellow New Deal pants with an equally ugly pair of Simples and I thought I was stylin’.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2023, 07:21:08 AM »
i thought that new blood was the b-sides video to dying to live for a pretty long time
good come sausage

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2023, 07:35:38 AM »
one of my first boards was that old catalyst company. my dad looked at it and thought it said condoms. then we had the awkward birds and bees talk.
Before or after the, “it’s ok to not be able to read dad” talk?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2023, 09:03:26 AM »
I grew up in Missouri during the Satanic Panic so there was always an ambient fear of "Satanism" all around, so when I was like 8 or 9 and someone told me that Natas was Satan spelled backwards, it blew my mind. I assumed it was because his parents, rather than being the polite Lithuanian immigrates expecting a daughter named "Natasha", were actually evil Satanists from a 1980s horror film who were trying to have an IRL "Rosemary's Baby".

Yo I am still in Missouri and I recall this period also. My brother and I were getting called into the grade level counselor's office for wearing "black shirts with skulls"... AKA Powell Peralta gear. My mom had our backs though when she'd come in to this dumb meetings. She was like "these are just shirts...from skateboards... are you guys serious?". We stepped up our game to Slayer shirts because that was extremely rebellious at this time. Definitely had to hear about the Natas/ Satan stuff also. This was 1987 I think, so I was 11

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2023, 09:12:25 AM »
That Hawk, Caballero, Mountain were made up names….like Wrestling……

hah, not gonna lie, i at least figured Hawk's name was made up--it was just too much of a coincidence that a dude who did so much crazy stuff in the air was named Hawk.

i can also appreciate the conversation about Natas' name and the tshirt issue in school. funny enough, for me, it was a Circle Jerks tshirt in like 7th grade--i had no idea what a "circle jerk" was, i just liked the music and the punks on the shirt. it was perhaps ironically my science teacher who sent me to the office and turned it into a dirty thing...

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2023, 09:21:05 AM »
Expand Quote
That Hawk, Caballero, Mountain were made up names….like Wrestling……
[close]

hah, not gonna lie, i at least figured Hawk's name was made up--it was just too much of a coincidence that a dude who did so much crazy stuff in the air was named Hawk.

i can also appreciate the conversation about Natas' name and the tshirt issue in school. funny enough, for me, it was a Circle Jerks tshirt in like 7th grade--i had no idea what a "circle jerk" was, i just liked the music and the punks on the shirt. it was perhaps ironically my science teacher who sent me to the office and turned it into a dirty thing...

Ha, when I was in 5th grade I asked my mom for the Circle Jerks "Group Sex" tape and she was mad. I'm over here like "what did i say!?". That album is still my jam too

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2023, 09:23:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was positive cupsole meant that the sole forms a little bit of suction to the board so it would stay on your feet better.
[close]
Not gonna lie, I didn’t know what cupsoles were until read this and realized what it meant. I don’t care that much about shoes so I never bothered to find out.
[close]

I'm still not entirely clear on the difference between vulcanized and cupsole shoes.
I don’t either. Vulcanized has something to do with rubber? I don’t know

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3422
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2023, 09:27:02 AM »

hahaha...same here!
I also like how Natasha backwards is, "Ah, Satan". Like, they're just relaxing with Satan.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2023, 09:36:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hahaha...same here!
I also like how Natasha backwards is, "Ah, Satan". Like, they're just relaxing with Satan.
It's actually Adolf Hitler Satan.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 544
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2023, 09:38:59 AM »
I didn’t think people could really do tricks when I first started. I thought it was all made up to sell the video game. There was always some kid who said they could kickflip and you went to his house and they couldn’t kickflip. The most skating I saw was the first Tony Hawk game but I couldnt believe anyone could fly in the air on their skateboard and I really couldn’t believe this dudes name was actually Tony Hawk.

I then got a box of dubbed 411s and the sub zero video from a cousin and it seemed more real and I pretty quickly started learning tricks, but where I was in south Jersey suburbs like 15-20 mins from Philly I wasn’t seeing people doing anything like that in 2000-2001.

Later on after actually going to skateparks and stuff I started doing one footed frontside rock and rolls and I thought I invented them then someone showed me someone on the internet doing one.

Banned from the room

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2023, 09:41:10 AM »
The first time my Dad took my brother and I to something else shop we got in a fight over the last set of Alva Hard Ons.

Two kids dressed in army surplus jackets with Velcro muscle guy pants busy print and air walk canvas sky tops no laces even crazier prints both screaming NO I WANT THE HARD ONS! NO you got the trucks I wanted I WANT THE HARD ONS!!! (Alva wheels. We wanted to be down with Alva Posse since before we could Ollie and stuff...

My dad is standing behind us thinking wtf!! My kids are gay. I need to hide my club international magazines better.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 10:10:48 AM by Uncle Flea »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2023, 09:50:52 AM »
I recall seeing someone do a Muska flip and being convinced it was a pop shuvit body varial.

I believed Thrasher was factually accurate skate information, so the most hyperbolic ramblings of bowl trolls had me convinced skaters like Pete “The Ox” Culpitts was among among the best skaters in the world.

Someone told me a kickflip late shuvit was the best trick ever done and I definitely held onto that idea for a bit.

I didn’t understand the Jordan reference in this ad, and assumed it was a halftime show. I did however question if there was a ramp off screen or if someone can actually ollie that high.

Glue Foot

• Rep: 4
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2023, 09:56:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was positive cupsole meant that the sole forms a little bit of suction to the board so it would stay on your feet better.
[close]
Not gonna lie, I didn’t know what cupsoles were until read this and realized what it meant. I don’t care that much about shoes so I never bothered to find out.
[close]

I'm still not entirely clear on the difference between vulcanized and cupsole shoes.
[close]

vulcs are where a flat sole is attached to the shoe by wrapping a strip of rubber around the side

cupsoles are where the sole is completely formed like a cup in the mold, bottom and sides are formed as one piece

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2023, 10:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

vulcs are where a flat sole is attached to the shoe by wrapping a strip of rubber around the side

cupsoles are where the sole is completely formed like a cup in the mold, bottom and sides are formed as one piece

Thanks! Never knew

Edit- I don’t think it’ll surprise anyone that I too remember the Satanic Panic. I had a Natas and heard the same story. My mom apparently didn’t  hear that one so I kept my board but she did take my AC/DC tape.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2023, 10:10:33 AM »
That freestyle is cool

manysnakes

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2023, 10:12:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2023, 10:25:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

That’s literally two sentences…

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2023, 10:36:21 AM »
Plastic baseplates and partially plastic hollow hangers would change skateboardings future.

Also, turning the top two 3” long mounting hardware upside down would greatly improve ollies, but it only got me a bloody foot very quickly.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2023, 10:42:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah I don't get it... I guess being wilfully ignorant is cool though. Seems like it would take more effort to dig up the cheeky meme and post it than to read that but again maybe I'm just not picking up on something.

manysnakes

« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2023, 10:42:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm going to stay ignorant of the differences forever.

MtnDoucheBag

• Rep: -107
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2023, 10:48:52 AM »
That’d be easy 😂

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2023, 11:40:35 AM »
I remember joining some skate related messageboard and reading a thread on what the "best trick ever done" was and posting saying that it might be a trick I'd seen Scott Pazelt do in a Logic video
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2023, 12:45:23 PM »
I had bridge bolts and thought they were for the real ones.

They were for the real ones, at that time.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2023, 01:03:36 PM »
my first interaction with skating was THPS. That made me dumb.

THPS was a great introduction to skating. Learned all the trick names easily, introduced to some top pros and saw some good footage. Learned a bit about street skating and some famous spots, and introduced to new music. It was a pretty decent representation of skateboarding in that era. If I was a kid getting in to skating now I wouldn't have a clue where to start. Most kids' first insight into skating is through Braille videos or some stupid shit like that.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Sweeps

• Rep: 14
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2023, 01:11:51 PM »
The first time I read a Transworld I thought the Last Words section meant they died. I was so impressed at how thorough their research was in finding out what Mike Carroll's last album, regret, or movie was.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 44
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2023, 01:40:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hahaha...same here!

around 1992 before I really got in to skating (ten years old). Well me and my brother had real pro boards and did small ollies, but we were not real skaters yet, the older skaters in the neighborhood talked about Natas being a satan worshipper and he was doing an ollie over a living cow. We ate it raw and was in awe.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »
my first interaction with skating was THPS. That made me dumb.

Haha, definitely this.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await