Author Topic: Getting rid of/letting go of collections and precious objects  (Read 3058 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
Re: Getting rid of/letting go of collections and precious objects
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2023, 05:35:51 AM »
Expand Quote
I had ~20 years of vinyl (probably 1200-1500 records, after having paired down a lot) all stolen from me. I was done with them, but I didn't know what to do to maximize their value, since I couldn't imagine selling that many LPs on eBay and I knew that taking them to a record store would net me like $1000 or something ridiculous. So when I was between apartments (paid for the full month while I moved into a new place), and some workmen come to inspect the place helped themselves to my entire collection, I was sad for a long time and still sort of am, but ultimately I was freed of the burden of moving two tons of vinyl everywhere I went.
[close]

No insurance?

I wish I kept all my books... everything I had disappeared over the years while traveling around.

Nope. That didn't stop the attending police from accusing me of trying to commit insurance fraud, though!
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2023, 08:00:59 AM »
Expand Quote
My wife and I used to gift vinyls to each other for birthdays but we stopped doing that to avoid cluttering. I used to collect boards from every overseas shop I went to, but I realized these boards were sitting under my bed and not being displayed. I just get a t-shirt or cap from the shop these days, that way I'll end up using the stuff I buy.
[close]

I get stickers when I travel now. Kinda slipped my mind at first, but they're what I collect now in my attempt to cover my tool box in my garage. It's a pretty fun way to remember different places and times and they make the tool box cool to look at.

I have sticker anxiety despite having a huge bag full from online shopping. Ones from Slap pals are the hardest to decide where to use them, I usually have a clear phone case so I put it on the back of the case so I get to appreciate it daily.

My stack of 80-100 boards from the 2000-2010s is sitting in at a relative's store room because I don't have to pay to keep stuff there. Was really easy with my money in the early 2010s, earning sales commission, zero commitments and eBay didn't help at all. Didn't manage to photograph all of them so when I finally get down to opening them up it will be a fun surprise.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2023, 08:39:00 AM »
Still have all the skatemags I bought. Thrasher, TWS, Big Brother, SLAP, SkateboardMag, etc. Thinking about getting rid of at least half of them. 

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2023, 08:46:39 AM »
Still have all the skatemags I bought. Thrasher, TWS, Big Brother, SLAP, SkateboardMag, etc. Thinking about getting rid of at least half of them.

@blurst_of_times collects, digitizes and archives them on his blog and Insta, hit him up to see if you can help him complete missing issues.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 06:29:34 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -484
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2023, 11:06:54 AM »
Pocket knifes. Bought a lot last year, but now the Hype is gone. At least they don’t take up much space , don’t mold and can be sold again. Or gifted to people.
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

boogs

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2023, 10:27:35 AM »
Expand Quote

I still have about 10,000 records in my Collection and still actively buy new stuff.
[close]
I would love to see a list. Do you have anything by The Fugs?

too many to list, ain't no body got time for that!
no Fugs. my collection is easily 50% hiphop. the other half is soul, funk, rock, jazz, and a little bit of 80s shit.
the labels i collect now are daptone, penrose, big crown, colemines, nyct names you can trust, del corazon and a few others

i think i'm gonna start my purge with big brothers then move on to thrasher, transworld etc

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2023, 09:41:35 PM »
I love purging and have gone through many phases of it but always regret getting rid of something down the line. Can never predict what that thing will be in the moment, though. Getting rid of tons of expensive art supplies remains one of my biggest regrets, also some family heirlooms that I didn’t value at the time and wish I could have back now.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2023, 08:05:34 AM »
I advocate for your right to get rid of whatever you want if you no longer want it. BTW, I collect pictures of people's stuff, can you let me get some pics. *big wink*

I have publicly posted that I have carried two boxes of unopened Simpsons cereal to Japan, San Diego, Washington and Hawaii before going back to Georgia where I originally bought them. I'm not the guy to talk to about getting rid of stuff.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2023, 08:22:49 AM »
i had a little coin/paper currency collection that i sold for drug money

i only collect decks now and those aren't going anywhere......ever

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2023, 04:11:00 PM »
I think about selling my skate vhs/dvd collection but I would probably want to keep the handful worth good money and then it becomes not worth the effort.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1596
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2023, 04:46:37 PM »
I'm trying to downsize but it is difficult, not from a sentimental standpoint, but from prices. I did way too much retail therapy since covid. I want to get rid off stuff but since I'm not strapped for cash, I cant accept letting all brand new stuff go for nothing since the costs will inevitably increase for those products in the future. I am justifying keeping my hoard by telling myself that it is my stockpile so I wont have to deal with an angry wife. That said, I have no wife, no girlfriend, or any prospects whatsoever, so I guess I'm kicking ass at solving a non-existent problem lol
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2023, 05:49:21 PM »
I’ve been told that every few months I get into a “mood” and wander around the house collecting items that have to go. I’ll either sell, trade, donate, offer for free for recycle said items. In these moods I’m decisive and seem to lack some sentimentality. It also helps I have a bad memory so a lot of the time I probably don’t even remember owning or getting rid of the item.

As far as collecting goes I have about 100 books which I’ve read 75% of. I also have a few desirable cameras that are would a could grand, and I guess you could say I collect those. But more so bought them when prices were at the bottom and I was shooting a lot. I’m tempted to sell due to the ever increasing price of film, and I don’t really use them a whole lot. I’m not a fan of having stuff but not using it.

I wish I could have less stuff, not that I think I have a whole lot to begin with. But unfortunately a lot of my hobbies require specialty clothing/tools/gear, despite my obsession at having the bare minimum. And living in a place with four seasons requires you to have more clothing and stuff to deal with said elements.

My mentality is unless I’m using the item or it holds a real significance in my life then I’d rather see someone else actually using and enjoying the item.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2023, 06:20:13 PM »
relevant thread for me. my problem is that none of this shit really has any meaning. i have a small 2 br house and a little sunroom. the guest room/sunroom have just become rooms where i put shit. my gf of years has semi been moving in as her job is remote now. shes helped motivate me a lot. just cut down 2 TV boxes for 5 year old TVs that i was keeping "just in case i move". she found a box with a dvd player, an empty ps4 box, 10 random shoe boxes, etc etc. im just bad about throwing things away.

i have 2 closets full of clothes and i have not opened either of them in years. i know for a fact that there are still stacks of Krew shit in plastic from when reps would hook it up working at the skate shop. not to mention hundreds of tee shirts and dozens of pairs of pants. i would say most of that was never worn - it just didnt fit so i put it out of sight/out of mind.

its been really nice to de-clutter via her help. half the time she has done it when i am not here and it helps. on one hand, it would suck if she threw something special away, but she also knows whats special after a few years.

im enjoying filling the trash bin weekly to help get rid of things and enjoy all the space we have. its not a big space so its been relieving stress of clutter. today i noticed a broken keureg from 2 years ago thats just sitting in the "clutter room". wtf? haha.

hardest part is when i need something like a paper clip and it is no longer "in the guest room behind the empty emerica box on the floor".

she aint getting my wrestling figures or old skate mags but the compromise is beneficial. the clothes are gonna go to a donation type place - i dont care enough to try selling it all.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2023, 07:59:09 AM »
This thread inspired me to dump most of my books. I've read most of them, and the ones I haven't, I can just download on my e-reader. Cleared four shelves this weekend.

Next, I am going to give away my Thrasher collection.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2023, 09:10:26 PM »
I got rid of a bunch of stuff I had at my parents' place a few years back. A lot of it was old skate stuff. The one thing I regret getting rid of is a good condition Nurse Girl Natsume Hook-Ups t-shirt because later I saw it online for like $300 to 400.

I've also purged clothes, CDs and books in recent years. Don't really miss those. The CDs I just ripped to my computer before I sold them.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2023, 11:36:26 AM »
This thread is making me want to pare down. I’ve got so many old VHS (mostly worthless) CDs, video game systems, magazines, and other shit I’ll probably never touch.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2023, 06:10:25 PM »
Just had a family member message me saying they dropped something off at my place. It's three big tubs of DVDs. Must be 75-100 DVDs per tub. this is annoying but I'll just put em in the garage with the others but just thinking each DVD prob cost $20 on average. I probably have a fukn cars cost worth of fucking movies and don't even have a DVD player lol

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2023, 10:12:14 AM »
Good thread - I feel stuff that just sits there gathering dust is probably worth moving on - at least with vinyl you can listen to the records for example. And any good collector knows to dispose of their stuff before they die……don’t leave it up to the kids!

I definitely feel that the fun is in the chase anyway - once you have that thing you have desired you quickly move onto the next thing. It’s human nature.

Here’s an example - I have an old Blender coffee guy deck from the 80’s that I hung onto for sentimental reasons - when they did the recent rerelease I just had to have one…..and when it arrived I was stoked! But a couple of years later the stoke had worn off and I’m considering selling both decks….they are just sitting there

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2023, 11:17:04 AM »
If anyone has any early 90s shirts they want to sell, get at me!

boogs

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2023, 05:39:44 AM »
anyone get a 1099k for last year?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2023, 06:06:28 AM »
I have a complete set of the original 1980s run of the Garbage Pail Kids.

7 year old me is stoked.

I have a bunch of original GPK too!

About a decade ago I went through a big phase of collecting Kid Robot vinyl figures.
I have so, so, so many Dunnys and various other figures. I want to purge most of it but it will be a pain in the ass, I'd have to look up the value on all of them because some are worth like $10 but others are worth $100+
I have one or two that I'm certain can fetch $500 or more, haven't checked for a while.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2023, 06:29:10 PM »
Anyone else have Gunpla that they built and display?

I have maybe 10 of them at my house that I have built off and on througout the years. My fiance is asking me to get rid or take them to my work to display which upsets me cuz I want to build more but them I want to display them I feel guilty of displaying them.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2023, 02:08:13 PM »
Thing I currently collect: 80’s starting lineup baseball figures. So when they came out, I could never find the dudes I liked. With my sons baseball infatuation, t rekindled my love for baseball again. Well I learned that you can get these figures still sealed for like 5-20 bucks so I restarted my collection. For myself a few for Xmas and 12 year old me is hyped.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 23
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2023, 07:21:27 AM »
I have a huge collection of skateboarding, wrestling, and football memorabilia. I found out in July that my wife is pregnant and proclaimed to her "EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE!!!!"

I sold nothing.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1596
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2023, 07:06:51 PM »
I have a huge collection of skateboarding, wrestling, and football memorabilia. I found out in July that my wife is pregnant and proclaimed to her "EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE!!!!"

I sold nothing.

That's probably a good thing. I think if you sold her that'd be like human trafficking or something.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2023, 07:28:08 PM »
Expand Quote

I sold nothing.
[close]

That's probably a good thing. I think if you sold her that'd be like human trafficking or something.

I can't believe that's frowned upon in some countries, treating people as objects....

I'm trying to downsize but it is difficult, not from a sentimental standpoint, but from prices. I did way too much retail therapy since covid. I want to get rid off stuff but since I'm not strapped for cash, I cant accept letting all brand new stuff go for nothing since the costs will inevitably increase for those products in the future. I am justifying keeping my hoard by telling myself that it is my stockpile so I wont have to deal with an angry wife. That said, I have no wife, no girlfriend, or any prospects whatsoever, so I guess I'm kicking ass at solving a non-existent problem lol

Purging is the easy bit, but controlling the urge to shop and not piling on the hoard of boards is another. I'm trying to be a conscious consumer for 2023 and only buying what I really want, not just because it's cheap (like decks). Decks I buy to collect must have a huge sentimental value and I let it sit in my cart for a few days before checking out, if it's gone that's fine I probably didn't want it that bad anyway.

The news of Dwindle on the brink of collapse had me FOMO-ing on their boards, couple of shops are clearing out inventory for cheap. Having a look at the items physically in front of you instead of hidden in storage is a good dose of reality - yeah those Blind decks are sweet, but you have 10+ decks in front of your face.

Same with clothes, I accumulated too much to reach free shipping on orders. And pants, but I'm less fussed about those since I'll wear through those with enough skate sessions.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2023, 04:18:32 PM »
I’m about to get rid of a bunch of my skate stuff. Magazines, decks, and dvds.

Is eBay still the best place place to do this or are there other websites? I’d prefer to keep it on eBay as I’m 100%, have a decent amount of followers and a number in the 11,000s.

I still have about 10,000 records in my Collection and still actively buy new stuff. Back in the 2008 I sold most of heavy hitters because I needed the money. I’m kind of in the same situation currently due to having brain surgery back in august.
I can tell you this much, getting rid of stuff can be very therapeutic, especially when you’re making money at it.

10,000 records is insane. I used to have a “collection” of thousands of full albums in mp3 format, organized in folders by artist -> album. I had so much shit I could queue up at the drop of a hat, a digital music library. I was so bummed when I lost those hard drives, I can only imagine 10,000 records.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2023, 07:05:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@blurst_of_times collects, digitizes and archives them on his blog and Insta, hit him up to see if you can help him complete missing issues.
@tuesday if you've still got these, I'm interested. @rocklobster thanks for the shout-out
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2023, 07:45:45 PM »
Thing I currently collect: 80’s starting lineup baseball figures. So when they came out, I could never find the dudes I liked. With my sons baseball infatuation, t rekindled my love for baseball again. Well I learned that you can get these figures still sealed for like 5-20 bucks so I restarted my collection. For myself a few for Xmas and 12 year old me is hyped.

This guy popped up on my YT feed… he opens up packs of old baseball and football cards from the 80s/ early 90s. Pretty satisfying. Thought maybe you’d get a kick out of it.

Makes me Wish i had held onto my old baseball cards.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zFJodsGOvFY?feature=share

(Dunno how to embed shorts)
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2023, 01:54:52 PM »
Just bumping this to see if there’s a thread for Slap
poster’s non skated related collections?

I’d love to see some of ya’ll’s interests or collections outside of skateboarding. I have some odd one’s, so I’m considering starting a thread.
Do you get deja vu, huh?