Author Topic: Hockey editing technique  (Read 1069 times)

CrappyChan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hockey editing technique
« on: January 12, 2023, 10:08:29 AM »
I really like the look Benny achieves, anybody know anything about his process? I have a few HD film grain filter things I can throw on and stuff but I would like to shoot some stuff that looks like 16mm classic 70s early 80s without breaking my bank or looking cheesy
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

imburntyerburntwhocares

• Rep: -6
Re: Hockey editing technique
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 07:05:45 AM »
Sent a PM over to ya.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 07:09:33 AM »
I wanna read that PM

He refilms off a CRT a bit

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 09:51:41 AM »
I would also like to read that PM. Pretty curious how it’s done 

doyle

• Rep: 212
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 10:02:52 AM »
Dancing on Thin Ice was definitely just edited normally then filmed off a CRT monitor.

HOCKEY X is another question...I would guess that there's some kind of practical effect going on here too, but kind of hard to say for sure. Maybe writing the edit to DV then re-capturing or something?

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 07:19:32 AM »
i would bet on dancing on thin ice put back into an hpx, and he filmed the hpx LCD
hockey x filmed back a computer screen or a tv, inducing ghosting.

brbr

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 05:01:02 AM »
i would bet on dancing on thin ice put back into an hpx, and he filmed the hpx LCD
hockey x filmed back a computer screen or a tv, inducing ghosting.

From his Heckride interview :
"Moving on to your latest video “Dancing on Thin Ice”, how did you go about getting the filter for that video?

I just edited each part and filmed it off an old tube TV. I just wanted it to feel different, I like when videos feel like something different from start to finish. Like you’d be able to identify the video just from a still image of it."

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 06:00:41 AM »
This was so obvious.  You guys give too much credit.   No genius work here.  When I was younger as we had to edit using two VCRs we would do this as well. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

doyle

• Rep: 212
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 08:40:54 AM »
This was so obvious.  You guys give too much credit.   No genius work here.  When I was younger as we had to edit using two VCRs we would do this as well.

The thing is, there are probably a lot of people here who've never used a VCR or CRT TV. Reading this comment in the "how to you consume your slap" thread made me realize how young some people here are.

Android. Dunno if I've ever been on the actual website.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 11:37:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The thing is, there are probably a lot of people here who've never used a VCR or CRT TV. Reading this comment in the "how to you consume your slap" thread made me realize how young some people here are.

Expand Quote
[close]

Or just new to skating.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 11:23:51 AM »
made this post in the hockey x thread, but this should get you close to that hockey x look without having to bounce the footage off your computer

Expand Quote
Can anyone shine any light on how they achieve the look of Hockey videos? I'd like to make some short films that have a similar grainy quality that doesn't look like total bullshit like most filters inside editing programs.
[close]
knock down your footage framerate to 24fps or less, duplicate the footage and add a blur and set it to overlay or screen and adjust opacity, offset it by a frame or two.
also adjust colors/saturation etc.
i have to plug this vhs simulator too https://github.com/JargeZ/ntscqt, it’s definitely the most realistic looking vhs effect i’ve seen.

moshandwallies

• Rep: -3
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 02:46:20 AM »
made this post in the hockey x thread, but this should get you close to that hockey x look without having to bounce the footage off your computer

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can anyone shine any light on how they achieve the look of Hockey videos? I'd like to make some short films that have a similar grainy quality that doesn't look like total bullshit like most filters inside editing programs.
[close]
knock down your footage framerate to 24fps or less, duplicate the footage and add a blur and set it to overlay or screen and adjust opacity, offset it by a frame or two.
i have to plug this vhs simulator too https://github.com/JargeZ/ntscqt, it’s definitely the most realistic looking vhs effect i’ve seen.
[close]
how much the blur should be?

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 06:32:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Or just new to skating.

How naive of me.  Totally true.  Good population on slap likely have never seen a VCR or tele hardlined to the wall. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 07:31:36 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
how much the blur should be?
however much you want, enough to produce like a glow effect, just check out some stills from hockey x and match your footage