Author Topic: Correct back foot position for ollies and kickflips  (Read 1641 times)

sionarancsle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Correct back foot position for ollies and kickflips
« on: January 13, 2023, 10:35:36 AM »
Hi!

As they say, new year new me. In 2023 my goal is to re-learn everything I currently know in a much better, cleaner way as right now most of my tricks are a bit sketchy for my liking.

I want to start fixing my pop. I've found an awesome tutorial by a guy and there is just one small details in can't figure out. It's back foot placement. He talks about having them in the center and just a bit in, so not on the edge of the tail but a few centimeters inside. But then later when he goes and does them in motion his back leg is on the edge of the tail (still centered, but not "in" anymore)

What's the correct way? I know this might seem nitpicky but I just wanted to pay attention to the little details too.

(this is Casey Foley doing his thing in Adelaide)

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: Correct back foot position for ollies and kickflips
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 01:14:11 PM »
There is no correct way. Even pros are all over the place. Some closer to the bolts in the middle of the tail, others at the heelside tip of the tail. Only you can find your right position.

Also strongly depends on the setup. Pop feels too light? Then take it closer to the bolts. Heavy pop? Then put your toes on the tip.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 01:57:44 PM »
I wouldn‘t trust a dude with abominable grip tape.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 04:28:29 PM »
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=117326.0

Treasure trove of kickflip talk here.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 12:05:07 PM »
For kickflips, if my griptape and shoes are well worn in I pop kind of in the back pocket to counteract flicking with my whole front foot on the board. If my griptape and/or shoes are new or close to new and still reasonably grippy I pop with my whole foot on the tail almost like a tre flip except for that I'm standing on my toes for tre flips, with kickflips I'm standing and popping with pretty much my whole foot, I guess focused in the ball of my foot. This is to counteract flicking with my front foot on the edge of the board. Kickflip foot positioning is a balance between full coverage with one foot and only slight coverage with the other. I like to think that the toes of each foot are making a diagonal line across the length of the board with their positioning.

With ollies, I think it's more a case by case basis and/or up to personal taste. I honestly don't think about where I'm popping when I ollie, I'm pretty sure it's in the center of the tail though.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 01:34:08 AM »
Super personal.

I ollie with my back foot in the middle of the tail, but I kickflip/v flip/bs flip with the ball of my foot in the toeside pocket. Weird, but works well for me.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 10:17:27 PM »
Super personal.

I ollie with my back foot in the middle of the tail, but I kickflip/v flip/bs flip with the ball of my foot in the toeside pocket. Weird, but works well for me.

Same, I went from a 8.5 x 32.25 to a 8.38 x 31.9, ball of my popping foot went from center of tail to tip of tail. The drag and flick had to be tighter and stay within the length of the deck, with a longer board I could afford to play with the position of my dragging foot.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 07:13:53 AM »
a few months ago, that screenshot of bobby DK's kf foot placement (super close to the back bolts) really got me second guessing my own back foot placement too. years ago, my kickflips didn't actually start to get good and proper until I moved mine way back towards the very tip of the tail, centred, no pockets.

switchfakie

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 07:06:07 PM »
Hi!

As they say, new year new me. In 2023 my goal is to re-learn everything I currently know in a much better, cleaner way as right now most of my tricks are a bit sketchy for my liking.

I want to start fixing my pop. I've found an awesome tutorial by a guy and there is just one small details in can't figure out. It's back foot placement. He talks about having them in the center and just a bit in, so not on the edge of the tail but a few centimeters inside. But then later when he goes and does them in motion his back leg is on the edge of the tail (still centered, but not "in" anymore)

What's the correct way? I know this might seem nitpicky but I just wanted to pay attention to the little details too.

the bottom picture is the way bobby de keyzer has his back foot setup

he kickflips over garbage cans like nothing, so id trust him

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 11:17:54 PM »
I changed my kickflip foot positioning recently to have more of my front foot on the board (more like an ollie than a kickflip, kinda like reynolds-style) but having my popping foot positioned on the heel-side pocket strictly popping using the ball of my foot/toes. I think it helps me retain the pop i love from high kickflips but making them feel a little more controlled

The only downside to technique was with this i felt like i couldnt really flick straight forward and have to remind myself to give a little bit of a diagonal flick (off the dip, not the actual nose), but it feels way more controlled because now all my kickflips arent really super-exaggerated ninja-kick (unless i want them to be) and they can be more controlled, quick, and precise all based on how hard i flick my ankle, not where i end up flicking.

I think this allows me to get a quick pop that can balance out the aggressive high-surface area flick. My main issue before would be my board flinging vertically because my flick would catch the nose and do a weird forward/dolphin flip.

phlap

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 06:56:01 AM »
I fucked around with having my back foot a little closer to the bolts, depending on how steep the tail is, how high my trucks/wheels are etc.
Had the best results on mellow kicks, but eventually I just kinda forgot all about my little experiment and now I just have my foot on the very tip of the tail again, regardless of what setup I'm skating.

Just feels more natural.
-Summer of George-