Author Topic: BILL WEISS OF DWINDLE  (Read 22629 times)

doyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 212
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: BILL WEISS OF DWINDLE
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2023, 04:03:26 PM »
Does anyone remember how long Zero was under Dwindle or what that deal was all about?

The beginning: https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2014/06/24/the-future-of-zero-fallen-with-jamie-thomas/

The end:

we are setting up a small operation to sell & distribute Zero independently in the new year.
our goal is to focus on doing things small and well by servicing the best accounts and distributors. we'd like to continue to use dsm (dwindle) as our board manufacturer for the intl. market and we're setting up manufacturing for north america in the US & mexico.

the dwindle staff is amazing and they have been very supportive, but zero is small and what makes the most sense for us is to be independent and connect with the shops, distributors & end customers directly that appreciate the brand and it's history.

if you're a shop or distributor and would like to get set up to order zero directly, please send your email to: [email protected]
below is the message that dwindle sent out last week. obviously, feel free to talk shit, give your 2 cents/advice or ignore this post -jt

"This message is to act as a notice of change to the working relationship between Zero Skateboards and Dwindle Distribution. After the end of the initial term of the license/distribution agreement between Zero and Dwindle, Jamie Thomas has decided to run the brand independently. He will be setting up his offices in Carlsbad, California. Dwindle will continue to sell and deliver all Zero product until Jan 15th 2017."

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2023, 04:20:02 PM »
Just saw a post from an acquaintance that he and “99% of the art department” at dwindle were let go last week. Looking even worse over there now.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2023, 04:48:52 PM »
Just saw a post from an acquaintance that he and “99% of the art department” at dwindle were let go last week. Looking even worse over there now.
They chose to retain the services of the non-contracted intern who showed an aptitude for cutting/pasting the reaper onto a tie-dyed, potleaf background.
Oddly, in the next decade, when we look back at Dwindlepocalypse, we will be impressed by the cockroach-like ability of Darkstar to survive, as it continues to chug along, even then, beyond all fiscal reason or explanation.
Great news: the fedora & its symbiotic host will be spared after all!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2023, 04:57:21 PM »
Yeah seriously idk what happened I think I dropped into the thread at a weird point idk what point I was trying to make.

Seriously though have we normalized online skate shops? CCS was really frowned upon when I was starting out

At this point you can usually find an actual brick and mortar skate shop that also has an online store with similar prices to CCS/skate warehouse etc. There's no excuse anymore
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2023, 06:24:30 PM »
I could never get with Darkstar.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2023, 06:37:18 PM »
Could never be me.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2023, 07:23:28 PM »

Most of em would fit in over at Spenser Gifts.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #187 on: January 15, 2023, 08:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote
:'(k
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is there really a industry that does NOT work like this?
[close]
If you invent a product and target agrees to stock it in their stores, it doesn’t automatically mean they get the intellectual property rights or “own” your product
[close]

This isn’t inventing a product that sells at target. This being a head at targets good fellow brand. You can creat the whole identity and product for the brand but its targets product they paid you to create. The inability to distinguish these business models as adults is why skater run companies go away like dwindle .
[close]

gotta agree with you on this one. people who dont understand...just dont understand. if mcdonalds hires you to create a new special burger for their menu, they can fire you right after. its not your invention. its mcdonalds (the company).

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2023, 01:28:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They chose to retain the services of the non-contracted intern who showed an aptitude for cutting/pasting the reaper onto a tie-dyed, potleaf background.
Oddly, in the next decade, when we look back at Dwindlepocalypse, we will be impressed by the cockroach-like ability of Darkstar to survive, as it continues to chug along, even then, beyond all fiscal reason or explanation.
Great news: the fedora & its symbiotic host will be spared after all!

Said intern learned all that graphic design skill off a weekend course at Skillshare.

With the skate industry going tits up its never been a better time to learn new skills and take you limited professional experience to the next level.

use DWINDLE15 for 15% off a yearly subscription.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2023, 05:06:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Could never be me.

I was gutted that scorpiondagger did a collab with Darkstar...wish it would have been Real....

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 268
  • often correct
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2023, 05:08:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
If you invent a product and target agrees to stock it in their stores, it doesn’t automatically mean they get the intellectual property rights or “own” your product
[close]

This isn’t inventing a product that sells at target. This being a head at targets good fellow brand. You can creat the whole identity and product for the brand but its targets product they paid you to create. The inability to distinguish these business models as adults is why skater run companies go away like dwindle .
[close]

gotta agree with you on this one. people who dont understand...just dont understand. if mcdonalds hires you to create a new special burger for their menu, they can fire you right after. its not your invention. its mcdonalds (the company).
[close]

off-topic but RIP al brown

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2023, 06:39:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
off-topic but RIP al brown

All over a stain glass window.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2240
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2023, 09:08:44 AM »

Dark times for Francisco Goya.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2023, 10:42:01 AM »
Everyone feeling grateful for bill weiss when he built up monarch just to cash out… Lol. Yeah i’m sure he didn’t see any of this coming from a far (2-3 years in advance).

...is this what you think happens when you get laid off? That they just give you all the profits from the projects you worked on?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2023, 01:38:14 PM »
I just got an email from a shop I frequent that they have 30-50% already reduced almost, enjoi and madness specifically

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2023, 06:48:09 PM »
I just got an email from a shop I frequent that they have 30-50% already reduced almost, enjoi and madness specifically

Saw that email too.

I had wondered if Boardworld had a direct Globe / Hardcore (Dwindle) link before...
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.