Author Topic: Destructo Trucks  (Read 2737 times)

Daewons front truck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Destructo Trucks
« on: January 13, 2023, 08:40:53 PM »
I have skated for a very long time,  and I'm one of the few people that choose to ride Tensors, I tried an old friends ace trucks and I'm now a fan of them too! They feel super carvey in a good way (hope that makes sense.) Anyway, I went online to maybe look to order a pair, and I saw something that I shamefully completely forgot existed. Destructo Trucks. Do any of you guys skate these? They are one of the only brands that I have never tried or now that I think about it, I haven't seen anyone I skate with use them either. I was aware of them, but never actually was intrigued enough to spend $50 on.  So, anyone ever ride them? Are they terrible? Mediocre? Maybe even the best trucks ever? Anybody got anything on them?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: Destructo Trucks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 01:54:15 AM »
i had a set of destructo in between indy restocks and they were ok. they kind of felt like indy but a little more sluggish. back then i measured out everything at the shop i worked at and destructos had the most similar geo to indy, so i set up a slightly beat up set we had at the shop.

they are ridable trucks.

Evrart Claire

• Rep: -16
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 02:59:57 AM »
i had a set of destructo in between indy restocks and they were ok. they kind of felt like indy but a little more sluggish. back then i measured out everything at the shop i worked at and destructos had the most similar geo to indy, so i set up a slightly beat up set we had at the shop.

they are ridable trucks.

I skated 2 pairs of destructos to the axle back in the day and I agree that they felt similar to indys. What I found weird about them was that on each pair i broke 3-4 kingpins during their liftetime. Could be because i skated way harder back then, lots of gaps and stairs
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 03:09:50 AM by Evrart Claire »

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 03:41:26 AM »
You do no wrong if you get them. They skate well. Like already said, similar to indys.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 04:28:24 AM »

From around 1996 to 2000 or so, they were very much the main truck that the guys I skated with got in their packages and so the lightly used ones all were passed on to myself and others.

At that time, they were great - good kingpin clearance and overall height, long lasting, decent bushings, etc.

I think there were a few kingpin issues, but I also think we had that with lots of trucks back then.  Kingpins break, just put in new ones.  The factory pressed kingpins didn't come in until the 2000s anyway.

There are still half a dozen or more sets on boards I have for people to use for skate lessons and the like from that era and I never really have any issues with them, even now, from sets from 1996 to 2000, so all more than twenty years ago.

When production moved from USA to China and there were significant issues with quality and trucks bending, they all but died out in the early 2000s almost everywhere I recall, so that was the last time anyone I know had them.

Once they figured out what was going wrong in the factory and fixed the issues, most of us had already moved on to other things and never looked back, but I hear they are decent trucks once again, although different to what we had back in the day.

To note, Destructo along with Theeve and Ace all had similar issues with their product, but all rectified the problems in the factory and now make what people say are good quality products, along with the other main truck brands.

I don't have anything against them, but I did have a rather funny conversation with someone about them not too long ago, with the other person having a lot more to say, most of it not at all nice, but based on the issues they had twenty years ago, which is not exactly fair, nor is it a reflection on the current status of the brand either.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 05:26:21 AM »
You do no wrong if you get them. They skate well. Like already said, similar to indys.

They're serviceable, but there are better trucks around and reason why the big 3-4 brands have stuck around. I'd wait for a sale to pick them up if you're keen to give them ago.

Their customer service on Insta was really good, I hit them up in 2020 asking about truck heights of the D1 / D2 / Squadron trucks. They were every patient with explanations and offered a 15% discount code when I mentioned I was on Slap (use: SHALOM), which has long expired.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 07:33:29 AM »
I skated the d2 mids and mags until I switched to tensor atg mag

The only issue is that the baseplates are magnesium and the hanger. Opposite of the tensor. The bases plate wore out quicker than any other truck I’ve had. Like grinder down to the pivot cup.

Anyway I’m not a truck snob. So I’m can worked with anything usually. I did replace the bushings with bones medium because I found the stock bushing too squishy. I do that with every truck but the tensors and ace.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 07:57:26 AM »
The D1 is a good truck for the price. Geo is kinda like Indy, but with huge kingpin clearance. Definitely get some softer bushings to loosen them up. The stock mediums are pretty tight, but they also sell 85A and 80A bushings now. I think Sure-Grip owns the brand.

burner

• Rep: 86
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 07:59:54 AM »

From around 1996 to 2000 or so, they were very much the main truck that the guys I skated with got in their packages and so the lightly used ones all were passed on to myself and others.

At that time, they were great - good kingpin clearance and overall height, long lasting, decent bushings, etc.

I think there were a few kingpin issues, but I also think we had that with lots of trucks back then.  Kingpins break, just put in new ones.  The factory pressed kingpins didn't come in until the 2000s anyway.

There are still half a dozen or more sets on boards I have for people to use for skate lessons and the like from that era and I never really have any issues with them, even now, from sets from 1996 to 2000, so all more than twenty years ago.

When production moved from USA to China and there were significant issues with quality and trucks bending, they all but died out in the early 2000s almost everywhere I recall, so that was the last time anyone I know had them.

Once they figured out what was going wrong in the factory and fixed the issues, most of us had already moved on to other things and never looked back, but I hear they are decent trucks once again, although different to what we had back in the day.

To note, Destructo along with Theeve and Ace all had similar issues with their product, but all rectified the problems in the factory and now make what people say are good quality products, along with the other main truck brands.

I don't have anything against them, but I did have a rather funny conversation with someone about them not too long ago, with the other person having a lot more to say, most of it not at all nice, but based on the issues they had twenty years ago, which is not exactly fair, nor is it a reflection on the current status of the brand either.

Yeah this about covers it all. Loved my Destructos back in 90s, lime green bushings were rad, and well machined, great clearance and much lighter than Indy stage VII (I think that was the mid 90s Indy). I think Wray jumped the waterpower on Destructo, so they must work alright!! I picked up a pair of Arto's maybe 10yrs ago, and they were ok, not as good but still cool to have.

Remember when Tom Knox and Jake Johnson were on Destructo.....though I have a sneaking feeling they rode Indy's on the sly... (especially Jake).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LFZowSmkck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ05T4tkEio

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 08:18:15 AM »
You could see he was skating Indys in the most recent video, but I believe Ben Kadow was skating Destructos in previous Strobeck productions.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2023, 10:27:48 AM »
Also I should point out that right now everything on the destructo website is 35% of so trucks are 30$ a set before shipping and taxes

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2023, 10:28:48 AM »
Most pros never rode Destructos. Arto, Wray, etc. all rode Indy's instead. They looked identical so there was almost no way to tell. From what I was told they just swapped the Destructo bushings in. There is an old setup video where Bam was "riding Destructos" and had Indys on his board.

burner

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2023, 11:29:50 PM »
Most pros never rode Destructos. Arto, Wray, etc. all rode Indy's instead. They looked identical so there was almost no way to tell. From what I was told they just swapped the Destructo bushings in. There is an old setup video where Bam was "riding Destructos" and had Indys on his board.

Yeah, nah, I think you’re shooting from the hip again - Wray definitely rode Destructo in the 90s, after quitting/kicked off Thunder/Spitfire for riding Destructo. That’s not true to say he never rode Destructo, but yeah he did end up skating Indy’s later, when Destructo moved to china production etc, like MBrimson said, and everyone bounced. And no, 90s Destructo and Stage VII do not look identical, but that said you’d struggle to see in the old VHS anyways.

Arto was on Fury, right?, and then Destructo relaunch way later in the 2000’s….so yeah, fair to say he was probably riding Indy’s the whole time. ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 11:38:07 PM by burner »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 12:14:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, nah, I think you’re shooting from the hip again - Wray definitely rode Destructo in the 90s, after quitting/kicked off Thunder/Spitfire for riding Destructo. That’s not true to say he never rode Destructo, but yeah he did end up skating Indy’s later, when Destructo moved to china production etc, like MBrimson said, and everyone bounced. And no, 90s Destructo and Stage VII do not look identical, but that said you’d struggle to see in the old VHS anyways.

Arto was on Fury, right?, and then Destructo relaunch way later in the 2000’s….so yeah, fair to say he was probably riding Indy’s the whole time. ;D

I'd need to see photo or video, but I don't think Lebowski is off the mark and Jeremy Wray might be an exception. I immediately thought of dudes on Silver or Royal awhile back that rode Thunders on the low. I think Gallant pretty much outed that in an interview some time ago.

That being said, I've never tried Destructro, but there's this one dude at my local that skates Powell decks and destructo trucks and he fucking rips. Not sure how they compare to other brands, but I'm sure they're completely fine.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 06:46:02 AM »
This Bam setup is all you need to know about "destructos"

https://youtu.be/cmIFTQhwLI4
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 07:44:35 AM »
Life has not been kind to Bam.
Also, destructdont. They don’t turn.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2023, 07:58:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I saw Wray at an Element demo in probably 1998 or 1999 when he was on Destructo and he had Indy's for sure. My friend and I were huge Arto fans growing up and had every photo of him stapled to our walls. There was one in particular where he was standing with a broken board and it had Indy's on it for sure. I can't recall the year but there was an interview about his setup when he was still on Fury and he said something to the effect of riding the biggest Indy's he could get.

Also, when Arto was on Destructo didn't the hangers look similar at that point? I don't know my stage years very well but his pro truck shape essentially looks like a Stage 8 hanger on a weird Thunder/Indy baseplate so it would be really hard to tell on most video or photos.

As for pros riding other truck brands the Enjoi team was out locally all the time and they put black circle stickers on Thunders so they looked like Krux and Jerry definitely had Thunders instead of Royals.

I went and found some old parts on YouTube and the footage quality makes it really hard to tell on a phone what they were on. I don't remember anything looking this bad on a TV. It looks like the hanger shape changes for Wray possibly so it seems likely he capitulated to riding what he was paid to. 

burner

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 09:17:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I saw Wray at an Element demo in probably 1998 or 1999 when he was on Destructo and he had Indy's for sure. My friend and I were huge Arto fans growing up and had every photo of him stapled to our walls. There was one in particular where he was standing with a broken board and it had Indy's on it for sure. I can't recall the year but there was an interview about his setup when he was still on Fury and he said something to the effect of riding the biggest Indy's he could get.

Also, when Arto was on Destructo didn't the hangers look similar at that point? I don't know my stage years very well but his pro truck shape essentially looks like a Stage 8 hanger on a weird Thunder/Indy baseplate so it would be really hard to tell on most video or photos.

As for pros riding other truck brands the Enjoi team was out locally all the time and they put black circle stickers on Thunders so they looked like Krux and Jerry definitely had Thunders instead of Royals.

I went and found some old parts on YouTube and the footage quality makes it really hard to tell on a phone what they were on. I don't remember anything looking this bad on a TV. It looks like the hanger shape changes for Wray possibly so it seems likely he capitulated to riding what he was paid to.

Haha, black circle stickers, damn, that's funny, totally believe that too, Krux sux. Did any of the Royal guys actually ride em? Maybe Carrol and Mike mo, but Wes, Jose, Austyn were all skating Indy for sure (and like you said with Hsu skating Thunders).

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you just said. I wasn't being sarcastic, I agree Arto was probably no doubt riding Indy's rather than Fury and relaunch Destructo. And yeah, Jeremy seemed to drift over to Indy after Plan B, so that's about the time Destucto went to restructured/China so that adds up to the Element demo. It is fricken hard to tell from the old footy, but Jeremy does seem to be riding Destructo in 4WheelDrive and The Revolution, so that coincides with peak mid90s Destructo.

Yeah, I don't know my stages well either, I just know that stage 7 were the ones when Destructo came out, and I had both those and they were quite different. I can see why Wray left Thunder to help design and ride Destructo for extra height and more Indy turn, but better clearance and without the weight. And yeah I'd say Indy's and Fury are more similar than Destructo, you're right there.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2023, 09:24:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha, black circle stickers, damn, that's funny, totally believe that too, Krux sux. Did any of the Royal guys actually ride em? Maybe Carrol and Mike mo, but Wes, Jose, Austyn were all skating Indy for sure (and like you said with Hsu skating Thunders).

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you just said. I wasn't being sarcastic, I agree Arto was probably no doubt riding Indy's rather than Fury and relaunch Destructo. And yeah, Jeremy seemed to drift over to Indy after Plan B, so that's about the time Destucto went to restructured/China so that adds up to the Element demo. It is fricken hard to tell from the old footy, but Jeremy does seem to be riding Destructo in 4WheelDrive and The Revolution, so that coincides with peak mid90s Destructo.

Yeah, I don't know my stages well either, I just know that stage 7 were the ones when Destructo came out, and I had both those and they were quite different. I can see why Wray left Thunder to help design and ride Destructo for extra height and more Indy turn, but better clearance and without the weight. And yeah I'd say Indy's and Fury are more similar than Destructo, you're right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rdHfwESOm4

Pretty sure he keeps a set of almost pristine set of Krux trucks on standby for these setup videos
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2023, 05:18:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for all the replies,  more positive then I was expecting, I think I'll pass for the time being though, someone mentioned something about Royals and I haven't rode those since they "redesigned them" hopefully they are better now. I had one pair in 2007ish and the kingpin broke the second day of skating them,  it wasn't like I was going hard on them either, just two mellow sessions, I was coming out of a bluntalide on a curb and the kingpin  gave out. I haven't bought another one since.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2023, 07:46:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for all the replies,  more positive then I was expecting, I think I'll pass for the time being though, someone mentioned something about Royals and I haven't rode those since they "redesigned them" hopefully they are better now. I had one pair in 2007ish and the kingpin broke the second day of skating them,  it wasn't like I was going hard on them either, just two mellow sessions, I was coming out of a bluntalide on a curb and the kingpin  gave out. I haven't bought another one since.

There’s a thread for the new royals.
That being said, I found them pleasant. On the looser camp like ace/thunder (at least for the inverted kingpin ones).
They grind nicely but will probably wear kit faster.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

IpathCats

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 11:51:45 AM »
Destructos are for those dudes that are good and picking up sponsors, but not good/cool enough to get on a legit truck brand. You all know who I'm talking about.

Same is kinda true for krux.

Just buy Indy/Ace/Thunder/Venture.

Edit: That Bam vid is fucking GOLD haha.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 12:10:43 PM by IpathCats »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 05:07:57 PM »
Destructos are for those dudes that are good and picking up sponsors, but not good/cool enough to get on a legit truck brand. You all know who I'm talking about.

Same is kinda true for krux.

Just buy Indy/Ace/Thunder/Venture.

Edit: That Bam vid is fucking GOLD haha.

Seeing as Bam is such a classy fellow, I appreciate seeing a man of distinguished taste such as himself also popping the shields on his Swiss 

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 09:21:26 PM »
There were kingpin issues I broke a kingpin olling to manual on a kerb high manual pad

I couldn't get it out of the baseplate so I threw them away

They were hot pink too
Now that I think about it id skate pink trucks again if they were indys
listen to cosmic psychos

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2023, 05:58:42 AM »
I recently skated the d1 mid lite and I liked them.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 03:29:59 PM »
I recently skated the d1 mid lite and I liked them.

How was the kingpin clearance? I know d2 is terrible, but the d1 doesn't look too good either from pictures.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 10:28:02 PM »
D1:

vs

D2:

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 90
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 10:50:37 PM »
Weird, I thought kingpin clearance was their whole deal.  Also they should have kept the green bushings thing going from back in the day, instantly recognizable

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2023, 10:05:11 PM »
Weird, I thought kingpin clearance was their whole deal.  Also they should have kept the green bushings thing going from back in the day, instantly recognizable

The kingpin clearance is very good. Similar to the Venture Hi. I think they claim most kingpin clearance in the market on the D1, or maybe they used to.

You can still get the green bushings (as of a few months ago at least), but you need soft ones to really get the most out of them. The 90A are too snug in my opinion.

I put the Indy 78A in them on my wife’s board, and those are super surfy, like an extra-tall Indy. I believe when you order now, though, you can choose whether they come stock with 90A, 85A, or 80A bushings, which is pretty cool.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2023, 10:13:30 PM »
Thunder plates with Indy hangers