Author Topic: HOT LITTLE TAKES  (Read 30015 times)

Sizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: HOT LITTLE TAKES
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2023, 06:24:03 PM »
On the subject of bushings, soft bushings are dumb unless you’re incredibly light or making a strict cruiser setup. Hard bushings on super loose trucks is the ideal setup for actually skating well without looking like your trucks are completely cranked

Pony_Slaystation

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2023, 06:30:59 PM »
whoever first referred to what we do on skateboards as "tricks" did skateboarding a huge disservice.  it trivializes the whole thing and makes the whole activity look silly and akin to a pogo stick or yo yo.  Not sure what term would be better.  "Maneuver" maybe?  (that sounds stupid too). 

This always kinda bothered to me, but it really sticks out like a sore thumb now that skateboarding is in the Olympics.

That’s the problem though. Skateboarding being in the Olympics, not someone calling them tricks.  I hate that skateboarding is on that level of mainstream TV now. We don’t belong there.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2023, 11:40:30 PM »
Caring too much about pants wheel color truck brand is an obvious tell that you aren’t a very good skateboarder.

I don't care about pants, wheel colors and truck brands and I'm a bad skateboarder ;D But at least I feel free for wearing the pants I want. You can be a 35 y/o dad wearing those pants (https://wear.jp/fon15/22194365/ or https://www.nex-llc2.com/?pid=165886651) and nobody will bat an eye. Is the skateboarding community really so restrictive or is it just a SLAP internal joke? I'm new here :'(

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2023, 11:53:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Caring too much about pants wheel color truck brand is an obvious tell that you aren’t a very good skateboarder.
[close]

I don't care about pants, wheel colors and truck brands and I'm a bad skateboarder ;D But at least I feel free for wearing the pants I want. You can be a 35 y/o dad wearing those pants (https://wear.jp/fon15/22194365/ or https://www.nex-llc2.com/?pid=165886651) and nobody will bat an eye. Is the skateboarding community really so restrictive or is it just a SLAP internal joke? I'm new here :'(
Both and neither. People forget what "banter" is. Coloured wheels look way better if it's a colour that you can get as a highlighter pen. I ride on asphalt parking lots so much I've def considered just getting black wheels

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2023, 09:48:33 PM »
Buying a different model of shoe every time seems crazy to me, how do you guys ever get anything done

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2023, 10:04:06 PM »
Buying a different model of shoe every time seems crazy to me, how do you guys ever get anything done

Not posting 87 times in a given week on a MassageBoard might up your productivity.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2023, 06:17:38 AM »
grown men in baggy pants…didn’t we all grew up?
It was cool in the 90s and early 2000s..and I get it when kids do it these days…but seeing someone in his 30s or older wearing these…i actually feel sorry for them

Why? Because they never stopped wearing them instead of being a trendy follower? Be who you want to be, dress how you want to dress and fuck the rest. Why are you so invested in how other people choose to dress? Why come?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:29:24 AM by KGB »

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2023, 07:01:58 AM »
Expand Quote
It was cool in the 90s and early 2000s..and I get it when kids do it these days…but seeing someone in his 30s or older wearing these…i actually feel sorry for them
[close]

Why? Because they never stopped wearing them instead of being a trendy follower? Be who you want to be, dress how you want to dress and fuck the rest. Why are you so invested in how other people choose to dress? Why come?

Im a 33 skater-dad whos being going to the baggy route for something like 3-4 years, and the reason its cause its comfortable as fuck, I basically have an my uniform to skate,its some nike and adidas cargos plus whatever L o XL shirt I get and go. Thats what I skate and I dont care.

On the flip side, Im tired of seeing dudes on their girlfriends jeans, looks terrible and I know it feels worse, so why do they keep doing it?. I'd rather go baggy for sure.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2023, 07:12:47 AM »
Anti hero is the most insufferable brand in the industry

KGB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2023, 07:14:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Im a 33 skater-dad whos being going to the baggy route for something like 3-4 years, and the reason its cause its comfortable as fuck, I basically have an my uniform to skate,its some nike and adidas cargos plus whatever L o XL shirt I get and go. Thats what I skate and I dont care.

On the flip side, Im tired of seeing dudes on their girlfriends jeans, looks terrible and I know it feels worse, so why do they keep doing it?. I'd rather go baggy for sure.

Yeah I agree, baggy is comfortable. It’s that simple, I mean I don’t wear jnco’s and kikwear anymore but still baggy.  I mean I’m not OutKast or nothing.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2023, 08:17:10 AM »
I buy different variations on slip ons. They’re not that different. If I bought D3s one month and then half cabs the next that might be an issue.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2023, 08:20:29 AM »
I can’t get into the excessive nerdery when it comes to set ups. I can’t tell you what the wheelbase on my deck is or how my trucks relate to that. I ride stock bushings unless they break. I have never really figured out if my wheel shape matters.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2023, 08:27:04 AM »
I can’t get into the excessive nerdery when it comes to set ups. I can’t tell you what the wheelbase on my deck is or how my trucks relate to that. I ride stock bushings unless they break. I have never really figured out if my wheel shape matters.
Best way to live.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2023, 08:51:18 AM »
Sizzla hear mi wen I tell ya mi nah wan nah ipath reboot

Why you nah wan nah ipath reboot?  Nah wan a pair dem new cats?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -144
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2023, 09:03:24 AM »
marvel movies and harry potter movies fucking suck. any franchise movie for that matter

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2023, 09:12:18 AM »
whoever first referred to what we do on skateboards as "tricks" did skateboarding a huge disservice.  it trivializes the whole thing and makes the whole activity look silly and akin to a pogo stick or yo yo.  Not sure what term would be better.  "Maneuver" maybe?  (that sounds stupid too). 

This always kinda bothered to me, but it really sticks out like a sore thumb now that skateboarding is in the Olympics.

I can't disagree, and come to think of it in every day conversation pertaining to skating I don't think I hear anyone use the word much. Probably because we all know we are talking about tricks but still.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2023, 09:14:30 AM »
Spots with a short landing always kinda bother me in clips/videos. Why would you pick a rail/set for a trick just to be forced to stop after 20 feet because there is a wall coming up? That just seems to be lazy spot selection.
For me, the best feeling of skating is riding away from the trick you just landed and I think that also translates in footage when it is done properly.

I figured it was because no one had really skated it or there were more possibilities for nbd's on less skated rails. That's all I can think🤷‍♀️
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2023, 09:28:27 AM »
Most of Slap thinks this it seems. 
My hot little take is Anti-Hero is consistently the purest representation of skating and the people who hate it ride 7.75 boards are scared to drop in and mostly skate driveway flatbars and talk about "progression."

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1212
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2023, 09:30:59 AM »
Why are so many of you under the impression that the only options for pants are baggy or skin tight?

Y'all motherfuckers are forgetting about Lucky Brand 367 bootcuts. The best of both worlds.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2023, 09:32:24 AM »
At 38 years old, UrbanStar jeans are the type of baggy I like.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2023, 09:40:13 AM »
Why are so many of you under the impression that the only options for pants are baggy or skin tight?

Y'all motherfuckers are forgetting about Lucky Brand 367 bootcuts. The best of both worlds.

Pants extremism is “in” in 2023.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2023, 09:45:21 AM »
Just wear some comfy sweat pants or track pants. Don't worry, Supreme isn't looking for you

KGB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2023, 10:03:51 AM »

Boot cuts? LoL What’s next another discussion about how great wranglers are again?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2023, 10:05:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My hot little take is Anti-Hero is consistently the purest representation of skating and the people who hate it ride 7.75 boards are scared to drop in and mostly skate driveway flatbars and talk about "progression."

Pretty much

Only time anti hero has ever come close to fucking up would be when they did that supreme collab
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

KGB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2023, 10:08:57 AM »
I think getting towed in is stupid and unnecessary 96% of the time. Rather see someone push their ass off and work for it. Also bringing a roll in to a spot is lame, that’s not real street skating.

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2023, 10:12:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

-Average anti hero enjoyer

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2023, 10:25:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

It's so true.  I'm old, like to travel, skate crust & DIY every chance i get, and I do not party-shame.  I also give people a yeeww when they do something rad.  All boxes checked.

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2023, 10:42:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
It's so true.  I'm old, like to travel, skate crust & DIY every chance i get, and I do not party-shame.  I also give people a yeeww when they do something rad.  All boxes checked.

Its actually not about any of that. Its because their marketing brainwashes their fans into thinking they are the end all be all to "true skateboarding".

IpathCats

« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2023, 10:48:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Sizzla hear mi wen I tell ya mi nah wan nah ipath reboot
[close]

Why you nah wan nah ipath reboot?  Nah wan a pair dem new cats?

.....Jah

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2023, 10:51:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Its actually not about any of that. Its because their marketing brainwashes their fans into thinking they are the end all be all to "true skateboarding".
Julien, Cardiel, Grant.....
maybe they kinda are?  Definitely in the running at the very least.   YYYEEEEEEWWWWW!!!! (pops a cold one)