Author Topic: How Much Toe Room Do You Have?  (Read 2491 times)

fistful0dynamite

Re: How Much Toe Room Do You Have?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 01:51:14 PM »
Expand Quote

Here’s where the end of my toe sits, I tend to lace my shoes tighter, just ordered a half size down and now I’m paranoid they’ll be too tight. The madness never ends I guess
[close]

Which shoe is this? It looks really nice. I usually have a toe width room in my shoes.
Dime half cab 92, I think this colour way was a store exclusive.

eSK3

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2023, 02:21:15 PM »
 I like my skate shoes snug but not restricting toe spread(width) and not cramping my toes length wise.
Running shoes a half to whole size up. Nail bruising is awfully painful. Boots same half to whole size up. More room is generally better than wearing pairs that are too small.

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2023, 05:43:54 PM »
I used to run skate shoes a half size up like I did with running shoes, but suede stretches out way too much and they'd be too floppy once fully broken in. I buy TTS now and wear skate shoes as chillers for a week or two first. That being said, a lot of brands are run way too narrow for me (Nike, NB, etc), so width has been more of a priority.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2023, 05:54:50 PM »
I don't like it when my shoes are too tight or too loose. Call me crazy, but I like them to fit lol.

For real though just looking at the photo you posted, a half size down might be perfect. Too tight FUCKS my feet and skating up. Never really skated shoes that were too big but I can imagine how clumsy that'd feel.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

BL0B

• Rep: 421
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2023, 07:26:09 PM »
no room on the big piggy, none. i'll wear shoes for two weeks to a month before they start getting skated. i like them tight.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2023, 08:50:45 PM »
Always wore shoes way too small. At worst 11s when I was prob supposed to be wearing 14s. For skating, distance running and football always felt like I couldnt do everything I needed unless my toes were jammed into the ends of the shoe.
My feet are fukn mangled now and if a pair of shoes is even just like a half size too small I can only wear them for about an hour before it's going to ruin my entire day.
Finally got some shoes that fit/what id think are too big however now found a new problem where my toes can bend upwards and get stuck for a second. Can't do any flip tricks at all in big shoes but I'll sacrifice all that for less fucked toes

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2023, 09:36:40 PM »
Always wore shoes way too small. At worst 11s when I was prob supposed to be wearing 14s. For skating, distance running and football always felt like I couldnt do everything I needed unless my toes were jammed into the ends of the shoe.
My feet are fukn mangled now and if a pair of shoes is even just like a half size too small I can only wear them for about an hour before it's going to ruin my entire day.
Finally got some shoes that fit/what id think are too big however now found a new problem where my toes can bend upwards and get stuck for a second. Can't do any flip tricks at all in big shoes but I'll sacrifice all that for less fucked toes

Do you mean like they get "locked," then sorta pop back out/into place? If so, I get that sometimes too. Haven't been able to figure out what causes it. It's only on my regular pushing foot. Not painful, just uncomfortable.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2023, 09:44:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you mean like they get "locked," then sorta pop back out/into place? If so, I get that sometimes too. Haven't been able to figure out what causes it. It's only on my regular pushing foot. Not painful, just uncomfortable.
I'm not exactly sure what happens because it's like half a second and it's back to normal. You know on cartoons when they jam a stick in a crocodiles mouth? It's like that but my toes are the stick and my shoes are the crocodile lol. Or it's simply my toes haven't been able to bend that much in all the years of too small shoes so when they suddenly do it feels really weird

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2023, 10:49:00 PM »
I prefer to buy shoes a little snug, because most shoes stretch out. Often they become like 0,5cm bigger after stretching out

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2023, 02:24:38 AM »
I always wore Emerica's in a US 7.5

Then they changed something with the sizing.

I switched too Lakai in a US 7.5

Now I am trying to find the perfect shoe.

Maybe some Emerica models in a US 7

Lakai's get a bit too floppy after a few weeks, although the Atlantic fits me pretty perfect.

I have shoe madness.

Thanks for reading pals.
IG: @flowterspace

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2023, 02:35:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The say thumb width, I think thumb thickness if it makes sense.
Anyway Australia doesn't have half sizes because it's an inbread country and the way everything is done here is fuckkng stupid.
So we are forced to have too small or too big of shoes (the people that need half sizes).

I see so many people wearing the wrong sizes.
[close]

We have half sizes and you spelled inbred wrong
We are fools
[close]

Oh shit did I?

Anyway , you might find sometimes but it's not norm.

Whenever I looked for nike SB the shop don't have half sizes. DC never has any. Don't like Vans. What else es,emerica,lakai.... can't find any half.

Please link me if you do.

Thanks mate.

Fuck, really?
I was gonna say the nike shops and online, maybe they used to and don't anymore...vans online has half sizes or used to. I was in a vans store last week I'm sure they had half sizes
Man have you tried vans aves I have such a hard on for that shoe and they're on sale atm
I only know about nike and vans but I bet nb online does half sizes

But never in skate shops bro it's too much extra stock for them to order I'm pretty sure
listen to cosmic psychos

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2023, 07:01:26 AM »
Just under a thumbs-width is the general rule (0.5-1"), I wear mine with about 1/2 to 3/4" of an inch, one foot is a little bigger than the other.

No point wearing shoes too small and fucking your feet up when they sell them in multiple sizes...

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2023, 05:54:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The say thumb width, I think thumb thickness if it makes sense.
Anyway Australia doesn't have half sizes because it's an inbread country and the way everything is done here is fuckkng stupid.
So we are forced to have too small or too big of shoes (the people that need half sizes).

I see so many people wearing the wrong sizes.
[close]

We have half sizes and you spelled inbred wrong
We are fools
[close]

Oh shit did I?

Anyway , you might find sometimes but it's not norm.

Whenever I looked for nike SB the shop don't have half sizes. DC never has any. Don't like Vans. What else es,emerica,lakai.... can't find any half.

Please link me if you do.

Thanks mate.

From being shop guy for more than twenty years in both major stores, down to single guy running things, most big brands do not bring in half sizes to AU.

Trying to explain this to many customers in the major stores over the years has been exhausting, especially when people say they are 11.5 (which is what I am) so I would just get out a box of size 11 and 12, hoping they would go with one of those options.

There are often exceptions, where some brand distros or other parallel importers bring in random clearance lots from USA or elsewhere that include half sizes in with their inventory.  Pauls Warehouse in Sydney used to do this a lot and I picked up quite a few pairs there while they still had good options.

As to my own situation, for years I squeezed my feet into size 11 but had developed such issues, mainly recurring ingrown big toe nails, that I had to permanently go to size 12 nowdays.  To say I should have started with size 12, yes maybe that would have been a good idea, but with shoes like that, things just feel off, especially any flip or flick tricks, so although I have become more used to bigger shoes, my crippled feet were so squashed in for so long that anything other than tight shoes make flip tricks near impossible and just don't flick anywhere near as well as smaller / tighter shoes.

When the AUD / US exchange rate was not so bad, I did buy a lot of size 11.5 shoes from various shops in USA and even other countries, which were a good stop gap, but now I am not about to pay almost double for 11.5 sizes shipped from elsewhere when I can get size 12 here locally, usually on sale and still make them work.

Some brands do run small, others do run big, so sometimes it can be more just finding the right brand for the size and shape of the shoes, but then if you are not a fan of the shoes, the brand or whatever, that doesn't help you a whole lot.

I wear Vans and that is my thing, but over the years I felt like DC always seemed to be small, Vans vulc true to big but cupsole small, Converse always big, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2023, 05:08:22 PM »

So I’ve half sized down. If I wear thicker socks (which I tend to do) It’s too tight on the sides of my feet. But after throwing on some thinner stance socks they do feel snug in a nice way. Definitely need to break them in a bit and loosen them up but I think after that they should be fine.
Appreciate everybody’s shoe madness tips.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2023, 02:25:40 AM »
Reviving this because I am in shoe madness hell.

Let's say your foot with socks measures 25 cm.
Would go with 25,5 cm length oder 26 cm length?

I would tend to the 25,5 cm length.

Thumbs width at the end of the toes doesn't make sense to me, because my thumb is 2 cm thick.
IG: @flowterspace

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2023, 07:30:18 AM »
Reviving this because I am in shoe madness hell.

Let's say your foot with socks measures 25 cm.
Would go with 25,5 cm length oder 26 cm length?

I would tend to the 25,5 cm length.

Thumbs width at the end of the toes doesn't make sense to me, because my thumb is 2 cm thick.

Every shoe is going to be different, so it would be best to try them on if you can.  So long as you can wiggle your toes around and they don't touch the end when you walk or run, you should be good.  Better to have more space in the toes.  There is plenty of information out there now about the effects of wearing shoes that don't fit properly.