Author Topic: Liverpool/Manchester  (Read 404 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
Liverpool/Manchester
« on: January 18, 2023, 01:48:46 AM »
There was no reply's on the Manchester tread and nothing for Liverpool comes up. Heading to both end of July/August before Rebellion. Any one got slappy spots/low ledges/mellow banks, core shops, good bars/eats for a veggie/punk venues etc? My mate will be joining me at some point, so nothing high class as we are more can's in the park than fine dining. 

emotional_degloving

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
Re: Liverpool/Manchester
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 08:33:37 AM »
I'm a local to Manchester and a good mate is from Liverpool.

For Manny, it's crusty as shit but there's a lot of good spots, i'd be wary for police and seccies (security) because there's a bylaw that basically prohibits skating in some parts of the city- however you don't have to give your name.

For banks, really the only one I can think of is the BBC Banks and a couple banks near one of the Salford University building. The BBC Banks are pretty popular.

There's a fuckton of ledges around Manchester- there's some good blocks in Spinningfields that are usually waxed, one of the Salford Uni campuses has a shitton of ledges to skate that are pretty fun, and if it's on a weekend security won't bother you since there's pretty much nobody there.
There's a concrete block outside NOTE skate shop in the Northern Quarter that's ace, it's all painted up and shit. There's usually a ton of skaters outside and around NOTE and everyone's usually pretty friendly. Occasionally the staff bring out like a block to do ledge shit on and a flatbar- if you're there in summer, guaranteed the staff will be having a session outside. There's also a curb that's a pretty nice height for low impact ledge shit and slappies near NOTE. The only thing I'd really be concerned about are pedestrians. The Northern Quarter tends to have "characters" and there's an old lady who has a weird thing against skaters, she's got like a shaved head and shit. Honestly as long as you pick up your trash and clean up she won't bother you.

It's a slight trek from the city centre but there's some really cool public use spots at the Velodrome- a fullpipe and a couple manny pads. It might still be there. There's also Media City at Salford Quays, it's really sick there, however security are kind of dicks. Basically think of it like going to the MongoCorp zones in Skate 2. Just do your thing.

Parks wise- GooseSide DIY is great but currently the city is trying to dismantle it to build more office buildings. If it's still a thing in July and August, hit it up, the vibes are great round there. The two parks in the city are Graystone Action Sports and Projekts MCR. Graystone is in Salford and it's nearby Salford Uni. It's an indoor and the prices range from like £8 to £10 for 3 hours depending on the time. The staff are really sound and nice. Projekts is mixed, it's £10 for 2 hours and the vibes can be a bit weird. The guy who owns it is a born again evangelical and kind of a huge kook. The staff are alright though. You can get free entry if you're sponsored by a company- or just with people who are sponsored. Managed to get in for free because I got a taxi there with some Jart/HopKing guys. Both usually have a mix of local sponsored kiddies and skatepark heroes. Usually sponsored by Welcome or HopKing for some reason.

Shops wise, there's really only two and they're both about a five minute walk from one another- NOTE and Black Sheep. Both are good and the staff are sound as fuck, NOTE staff are usually down to chat. You can ask them for some other good spots around town, they're pretty tapped into the scene.

Lotta good veggie/vegan places around the Northern Quarter and usually all resteraunts bar shit like Wetherspoons have good veggie/vegan options so you're really not going to starve. I'd personally reccomend Rudy's Pizza (two locations, one in Ancoats and the other Peter Street? Prices are pretty okay.) that shit is great.

Venues and bars wise, Night and Day cafe is great and The Garratt is like the best shit pub and it's very cheap. Might be ketted up/drunk Uni and Sixth Form students in there but they're alright.

I'm gonna ask my mate for some good spots in Liverpool later and reply to this thread again. He's not cursed with the knowledge of what SLAP even is. Still though, enjoy your time in both. Don't mind the pungent aromas of piss and dirt-grade bud in both cities.

vktrvghn

• Rep: 24
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 09:56:46 AM »
The shop in Liverpool is Lost Art, it's above a bar called The Merchant. Near there there's shit loads of bars and resturants, not a veggie myself so can't reccomend anything specific. The main meetup spot is the Pier Head, should be booming there in the summer, there's a decent ammount of spots but can bit a bit of a pian to get people to go sometimes. There's two indoor parks but they're a bit of a ways from the city center, Rampworx and Ramp1

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 03:19:37 AM »
Awesome thanks! Only there for a few days so that's loads of info! Won't be bothered with indoor parks it's gonna be August so hopefully the weather is half decent.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 06:24:02 AM »
Only been twice and got to skate some decent spots when I went, these are what me brain remembers, spot wise:

There's a fairly new ledge spot at the uni in Liverpool. A few dotted at the bottom of the hill, then two ones up from there. Got some curbs and flat ground to warm up on, too. It's right outside the 'University of Liverpool International College' building, for info.

Not too far is the cathedral, had a fun little two-three step and a four down thing. Although it was a bust when we went last. You got a ledge going across a patch of dirt and got a bit of a drop near the station as well.

And lastly on the side of the town hall there's some dope ledges in a row, which is on Exchange St.

That's all I remember from my trips there.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 07:12:20 AM »
Cool thanks man!

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 07:23:48 AM »
Graystone is well worth a visit, one of the best indoor parks I've skated, nicely set up and a good vibe... relatively cheap too, tenner for a 2-3 hour open session.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 07:36:32 AM »
Graystone is well worth a visit, one of the best indoor parks I've skated, nicely set up and a good vibe... relatively cheap too, tenner for a 2-3 hour open session.

I'm coming from summer in France, not interested at all skating indoors. If it rains, will be pubs if not streets. But its cool to recommend them for future reference. Thanks.

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 76
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 10:05:43 AM »
When you say Rebellion are you referring to the Punk Rock festival in Blackpool? I haven't been in years but I went for 5 consecutive years (2009-2013) and it was always sick as fuck! I have fond memories of washing back speed with Bucky & cider on the beach front - proper punk!  ;) ;D

As for Liverpool, you'll want to head down to the Pier Head, around there are a lot of cool spots with nice smooth ground.

Make sure to pop into Lost Art.

If you Google 'Paddington Village' there's a really cool spot where Chewy Cannon did a line in Beyond the 3rd Wave.

New Bird DIY in the Baltic Triangle is sick, but really rough.

Recommended veggie food: Bundobust (Indian street food) on Bold Street.

There's a bar called Outpost on Renshaw Street that frequently has Punk & Hardcore bands on. Check out Dead Sound on IG https://instagram.com/deadsoundliverpool?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 12:28:26 AM »
When you say Rebellion are you referring to the Punk Rock festival in Blackpool? I haven't been in years but I went for 5 consecutive years (2009-2013) and it was always sick as fuck! I have fond memories of washing back speed with Bucky & cider on the beach front - proper punk!  ;) ;D

As for Liverpool, you'll want to head down to the Pier Head, around there are a lot of cool spots with nice smooth ground.

Make sure to pop into Lost Art.

If you Google 'Paddington Village' there's a really cool spot where Chewy Cannon did a line in Beyond the 3rd Wave.

New Bird DIY in the Baltic Triangle is sick, but really rough.

Recommended veggie food: Bundobust (Indian street food) on Bold Street.

There's a bar called Outpost on Renshaw Street that frequently has Punk & Hardcore bands on. Check out Dead Sound on IG https://instagram.com/deadsoundliverpool?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Yes Rebellion in Blackpool the punk fest. My plans actually just changed a few days ago I'm now going straight to Blackpool from the airport. Thank you thou for your suggestions!
Oh yeah there will be bucky and cider drank at the beach don't worry! Probably a dozen veggi sausage rolls from Greg's also hahahaha
Perhaps next year will go to Liverpool before or after the festival.