Author Topic: Bones Rough Riders vs Powell G-Slides  (Read 386 times)

knuckledeep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Bones Rough Riders vs Powell G-Slides
« on: March 03, 2024, 04:54:06 PM »
Gm gents,
I'm making a cruiser setup but my local shop only has 2 sub 90A wheels - Bones ATF Rough Riders (78A) and Powell Peralta G-Slides (85A), both in 59mm.
I'm currently leaning towards the Rough Riders as they'll ride smoother on rough pavement, but I'm concerned about the durability after seeing people complain about them chunking quite quickly.
I'm down to sacrifice a bit of comfort for extra durability as I'll be commuting with them everyday on mostly smooth roads, but I'm still not sure.
Curious to hear your thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:45:27 PM by knuckledeep »

Jogging José

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 16
Re: Bones Rough Riders vs Powell G-Slides
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 12:27:58 AM »
I never had G-Slides, but the Rough Riders are my favourite cruiser wheel.

Regarding durability I have no complaints - no chunking, but I use these strictly for cruising/commuting.

They are fast, smooth and grippy and I like the them better than OJ Superjuice Minis fwiw…

knuckledeep

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 03:11:36 AM »

Regarding durability I have no complaints - no chunking, but I use these strictly for cruising/commuting.

They are fast, smooth and grippy and I like the them better than OJ Superjuice Minis fwiw…

Awesome, good to hear. Strictly cruising for me as well, but being able to pop the occasional ollie or powerslide would be nice too. I imagine they're a pain to powerslide though right?

Jogging José

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 04:33:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Awesome, good to hear. Strictly cruising for me as well, but being able to pop the occasional ollie or powerslide would be nice too. I imagine they're a pain to powerslide though right?

Popping an Ollie is no problem with the Rough Riders, Powerslides however don‘t work well for me. I am not really good at powerslides, but can break hard wheels into slide halfway decently.

If sliding is very important to you I‘d suggest you check out the Dragon Formula Rat Bones 60 MM - they work well enough as cruiser wheels and the slide on crusty ground is very good. True cruiser wheels like the Rough Riders or Super Juices are in a different league regarding smoothness though.

I have Dragons and Rough Riders on different setups in the quiver and enjoy riding both. For longer commutes I‘d gravitate towards the softer wheels though…

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 59
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 05:42:21 AM »
I’ve had almost every cruiser wheel, G Slides are my all time favorite.

They slide really well and consistently on asphalt (but it is more like a longboard style slide… not a 99a revert on concrete slipperyness)

The g slides are overall very durable for slides.  By comparison, my 80hd spits got all those tiny cracks in the sidewall just from one day.  Also, I put a OJ super juice in there so you can see the difference in the profile of the wheel.

The gslides (on the trucks) have a round edge, the oj is sharp.

My only complaint about the g slides is that they wear down quickly.

Also, here is a comparison on the G-Slides when they were new (the pinkish ones)…in shape they are most similar to the smaller white ones, which are Ricta Naturals.  The Orange one is an OJ super juice. The bigger white one is a generic cruiser wheel.  The black one is A-cut mini logo, and the red one is a 95a 58mm Toxic Bowl wheel that coned from looking at it too hard.

Cash me out skateboarding

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 59
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 06:27:18 AM »
I also just realized I wrote that fuckin novel and didn’t answer your original question re: Rough Riders.  Rough Riders are also a good wheel.  But like the Ricta Clouds, they are not anything special as far as a cruiser wheel is concerned.  For the money, I think Gummy Bears, which are a Chinese made cored cruiser wheel you can buy on eBay, are just as good, but cheaper.  (They’re the big white ones in my picture), they are good and durable, but don’t slide like the g-slides. G-Slides are their own thing.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:12:20 AM by the_dangery_bois »
Cash me out skateboarding

marcusbutler

• Rep: 31
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 07:13:41 AM »
I’ve had almost every cruiser wheel, G Slides are my all time favorite.

They slide really well and consistently on asphalt (but it is more like a longboard style slide… not a 99a revert on concrete slipperyness)

The g slides are overall very durable for slides.  By comparison, my 80hd spits got all those tiny cracks in the sidewall just from one day.  Also, I put a OJ super juice in there so you can see the difference in the profile of the wheel.

The gslides (on the trucks) have a round edge, the oj is sharp.

My only complaint about the g slides is that they wear down quickly.

Also, here is a comparison on the G-Slides when they were new (the pinkish ones)…in shape they are most similar to the smaller white ones, which are Ricta Naturals.  The Orange one is an OJ super juice. The bigger white one is a generic cruiser wheel.  The black one is A-cut mini logo, and the red one is a 95a 58mm Toxic Bowl wheel that coned from looking at it too hard.

God! The 80HD's were complete shite. I was cruising and powersliding with them. They wore out quick. I read somewhere they changed the formula in new stock.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

knuckledeep

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 07:22:06 AM »
I also just realized I wrote that fuckin novel and didn’t answer your original question re: Rough Riders.  Rough Riders are also a good wheel.  But like the Ricta Clouds, they are not anything special as far as a cruiser wheel is concerned.  For the money, I think Gummy Bears, which are a Chinese made cored cruiser wheel you can buy on eBay, are just as good, but cheaper.  (They’re the big white ones in my picture), they are good and durable, but don’t slide like the g-slides. G-Slides are their own thing.

That's one hell of a novel brother, really appreciate it.
I didn't even bother looking at other wheels since I wanted to stay local, but now that you mention it - I might just get both G-slides and Bears, and test more wheels down the road.

Never expected to get as much feedback, exactly what I needed to know - thanks a lot for your time gents! @RembrantQeinstein @Jogging José @marcusbutler
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 07:32:12 AM by knuckledeep »

Anxiety

• Rep: 33
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 01:33:46 PM »
There’s no need to think about this, G-slides are the best cruiser wheel by a mile.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 01:44:23 PM »
Gotta try g slides but I’ve had Rough Riders on my Polarizer for 6 years and I love them.  I just want a smooth ride with good grip from them and they give it in spades.

I’m riding 4 wheels down and just carving but they’ve held up well.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 07:09:07 PM »
I’m no expert on this subject but I had bombers on a set up and liked them….

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 08:09:16 PM »
While I haven’t tried every single soft wheel on the market I can’t imagine there is a better cruiser wheel than Rough Riders.

My cruiser is perfect right now.

8.75 PS Stix with a fatty tail
Ace 55
1/4” risers
56 mm Rough Riders

I swerve side to side and never get wheel bite. However, you can’t slappy or slide.

burner

• Rep: 86
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 11:22:26 PM »

Maybe just get both, see what you think. They are actually very different wheels and skate and feel very different. Just the difference between 80du and 85du is huge. If you want to ride around on bouncy, grippy, pillowy wheels, then it's the RRiders. If you want more feel, feedback, but still smooth and fast, then you'll love the G-slides. G-slides are kinda the middle ground between Dragons and full-on soft RRider cruiser wheels. It just comes down to personal choice, what you like and how you want to skate.