Author Topic: No concave….  (Read 5419 times)

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
No concave….
« on: January 18, 2023, 08:25:13 AM »
So uhh now that DOA is done, what’s everyone doing for flat decks? I tried a baker mellow concave and liked it alright but, there something about the DOA…. Does anyone know of anything similar? Or maybe if politic or some other board company out of that woodshop uses that mold?
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
Re: No concave….
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 08:30:15 AM »
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
You want some queso?”

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 08:56:00 AM »
So uhh now that DOA is done, what’s everyone doing for flat decks? I tried a baker mellow concave and liked it alright but, there something about the DOA…. Does anyone know of anything similar? Or maybe if politic or some other board company out of that woodshop uses that mold?

Idk what size you ride, but most girl decks, and most dwindle boards are flat as hell. haven’t had a toy machine in a few years, but last I skated them,  they were damn near straight lined across.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 09:00:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Idk what size you ride, but most girl decks, and most dwindle boards are flat as hell. haven’t had a toy machine in a few years, but last I skated them,  they were damn near straight lined across.

Yea I was looking at some girl shit the other day, may go with one of those
You want some queso?”

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 06:48:23 AM »
That disorder board sounds like the last plan b I rode, right down to the taper; was the joslin slice deck, super flat and short tailed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 11:27:02 AM by Xen »

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 07:27:30 AM »
That disorder became rad sounds like the last plan b I rode, right down to the taper; was the joslin slice deck, super flat and short tailed.

It does look interesting but not my size and wheelbase is too short for me
You want some queso?”

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 08:34:12 AM »
Ps Stix has the best mellow molds in my opinion

Toy Machine Mellow is one of the flattest molds I've ever skated, or the one WKND uses for their CT is mellow but more of a spoony shape to the contours. If you can go to a shop and look through all the companies that use the quasi mold those can be pretty flat and mellow in the tail as well, but you have to find ones from the bottom of the stack. Some IV stamped dlx boards can be pretty mellow too, actually Fletch sent me one of those skate shop day boards and it's shockingly mellow for a bbs. If it weren't a 14.4 wb I'd go out and hunt for them in shop bargain bins.

Alternatively I have a few 8.25 flats left if that's what you skate.. or just wait for Politic to run some e molds and buy one of those.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 09:03:10 AM »
I got a blind accidental death reissue slick that is flat. Oh and an Dog town Arron Murray reissue that is flat ad stupid wide (thank fuck I never ordered one as a kid from them mail order things in Thrasher I'd have been gutted).
IV DLX BBS boards are as flat as I can do. 

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 09:42:50 AM »
Ps Stix has the best mellow molds in my opinion

Toy Machine Mellow is one of the flattest molds I've ever skated, or the one WKND uses for their CT is mellow but more of a spoony shape to the contours. If you can go to a shop and look through all the companies that use the quasi mold those can be pretty flat and mellow in the tail as well, but you have to find ones from the bottom of the stack. Some IV stamped dlx boards can be pretty mellow too, actually Fletch sent me one of those skate shop day boards and it's shockingly mellow for a bbs. If it weren't a 14.4 wb I'd go out and hunt for them in shop bargain bins.

Alternatively I have a few 8.25 flats left if that's what you skate.. or just wait for Politic to run some e molds and buy one of those.

WKND CT shape is perfect but made by PS so every one I tried sucked. One even had the truck holes mis-drilled. If BBS made this, it’d probably be the only deck I skated.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 10:31:53 AM »
If anyone can find me a flat-ass UNCUT deck, hit me up. I'll make a new mold out of it and make boards.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 11:31:02 AM »
Expand Quote
That disorder board sounds like the last plan b I rode, right down to the taper; was the joslin slice deck, super flat and short tailed.
[close]

It does look interesting but not my size and wheelbase is too short for me

The plan b tail was stupid flat tho, it felt like there was no kick at all.

The disorder board, not sure I could roll a 6.25 tail and 7” nose.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 11:49:48 AM »
I had a wholesaler do some decks for me. They were flat as shit. I hated them. A few people loved them. They came from control. It looks like they don't have them anymore as they're current offerings say made in the USA and not "North America"

maybe look at controls offerings, or email them to see whose getting flat ones

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 12:04:38 PM »
Crailtap?
I had a board from their last woodshop but as a steep concave lover, their boards always look as flat as my buns. With mellow kicks.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2023, 03:06:52 PM »
I’m curious if the newer Toy Machine decks are as flat as they used to be (last had one in 2019 and it was PS, I think). Damn they were good. To me, anyways…

LebowskisRug

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2023, 03:41:44 PM »
Man people love to shit on PS, but last time I was in a shop there were 5 total decks I was interested in from BBS. Literally all spost to be the same shape:
- 2 of these decks had a noticeable twist/warp
- 1 had a weird glue defect where it looked like the sides of one of the rails were not glued. Like, the plys looked bare.
- 1 had the holes mis-drilled. If you put a truck over the holes, the frontmost bolt holes didn't line up with the plate holes and it would not be possible to attach a truck.

The final one is the one I got, which was a Frog that had had a heat transfer put over one of their deadstock boards that didn't sell. Insanely stiff for the first week or so.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 04:23:17 PM »
Crail boards have steep kicks now, they really don’t provide the mellow experience I’m looking for but I do generally like skating them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 04:37:34 PM »
The last DGK (China) I skated was pretty flat, like a Baker Mellow flat...

Man people love to shit on PS, but last time I was in a shop there were 5 total decks I was interested in from BBS. Literally all spost to be the same shape:
- 1 had a weird glue defect where it looked like the sides of one of the rails were not glued. Like, the plys looked bare.
- 1 had the holes mis-drilled. If you put a truck over the holes, the frontmost bolt holes didn't line up with the plate holes and it would not be possible to attach a truck.

The final one is the one I got, which was a Frog that had had a heat transfer put over one of their deadstock boards that didn't sell. Insanely stiff for the first week or so.

It's funny, PS gets hate yet Quasi gets love.

The last few boards I've ridden were powell (flight), Polar and a Welcome, all of which were not as flat as I wanted...Prior was two Deathwish boards and they were very very mellow.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 06:30:00 PM »
Yeah, I also had a DGK Chinese deck recently that’s was really mellow. Not flat but definitely on the low side of the mellow end.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2023, 09:10:28 PM »

Expand Quote

[close]

The last few boards I've ridden were powell (flight), Polar and a Welcome, all of which were not as flat as I wanted...Prior was two Deathwish boards and they were very very mellow.

A lot of Quasi boards are actually BBS, including twins and other special runs, and they're the ones I've liked the best. I'm fine with either though, as long as the shape is good. Haven’t seen any that are unusually flat, however.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2023, 10:33:36 PM »
Yeah, I usually go off the Quasi site which states which is which, my Quasi twin, was, as you noted, BBS; it was very mellow tho.

My last non-twin quasi, was indeed PS tho...super stubby tail.

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 04:40:25 AM »
April was probably the flattest deck I have had recently.  Kind of similar to a Baker, but more full nose and tail.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2023, 06:02:11 AM »
i have heard ppl say in their experience, PS stix boards get soggy fast, but they are really good when they are new. anyone else had boards like that? 
ONTARIO CANADA

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 06:56:30 AM »
Yea my friend had a April guy pro deck that was super mellow need to look their stuff too
You want some queso?”

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 07:12:27 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

A lot of Quasi boards are actually BBS, including twins and other special runs, and they're the ones I've liked the best. I'm fine with either though, as long as the shape is good. Haven’t seen any that are unusually flat, however.

Most Quasi boards are still PS. There are a few each drop that are BBS, but I don't think it's even 50/50 yet to be honest. They're pretty clear about which shop pressed each deck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2023, 07:14:57 AM »
Ya Quasi had about 50/50 for a single drop when they added Dane Barker, but I think even his decks now are PS. Basically the only BBS they do are the twin tails and really short shapes.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2023, 07:26:54 AM »

Fuck…. Nevermind

Ben can sell me on a lot of things... but this deck was the worst I've ever skated on. My buddy had one. He gave it away after 2 sessions. Verry small tail.  Shortys is the flattest I've skated recently. Alien is pretty flat too but become pretty soggy fast. I hate the pointy tails on the Bakers. I'd skate another B2 again tho.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2023, 08:06:08 AM »
Ya Quasi had about 50/50 for a single drop when they added Dane Barker, but I think even his decks now are PS. Basically the only BBS they do are the twin tails and really short shapes.

Yep! And the last time I spoke with Quasi, they said they would continue having boards made by both PS and BBS because there are people who love both woodshops. I think all of Gilbert's graphics are BBS now—at least for the last drop. A little something for everyone.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2023, 08:51:02 AM »
I’m curious if the newer Toy Machine decks are as flat as they used to be (last had one in 2019 and it was PS, I think). Damn they were good. To me, anyways…
Here’s an 8.25 Daniel Lutheran “Insecurity” TM. It’s the flattest deck I have.

I kinda like PS Stix more. The decks have more flex to them, but they lack the durability of BBS wood. The TM I was riding started to razor tail faster than the Welcome BBS one I had prior to it.

So I’d buy them on sale.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 09:04:36 AM by OhioGuy »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »
For the two weeks (constant skating) PS boards are great, then...sogg out...BBS take a bit to get flexy/hit the sweet spot. Trade offs.