Author Topic: No concave….  (Read 5420 times)

schralp pal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
Re: No concave….
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2023, 10:19:34 AM »
The 8.5 April I have has very mellow Kicks but the concave is still that bbs classic deep square thing through the middle.

ridethegutter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2023, 01:50:47 PM »
I had a Darkroom John Clemmons 8.25 deck. It was the flattest board I have ever skated. I also had a 8.38 wknd that was pretty darn flat.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2023, 05:34:23 PM »

I often find it interesting talking to people about concave, because most people refer more to the angle of the kicks, compared to the side to side between the bolts, which is more what I think of when I talk about concave.  Also given most people are not quite as product "nerdy" as I am, or the average person on here either, but there are also some boards that might have medium to steep kicks that have very little concave through the middle of the deck.

Not to say that kicks can always be flattened - parking on an upside down board will usually flatten out most kicks without any issues with the wood, glue or board construction - but if I am feeling out concave on the average BBS deck, I know I can mellow out the kicks, but I can't mellow out the concave.

From almost all the boards I have had the chance to stand on, the blanks / PGI distributed decks have been the flattest, but are often difficult to find or get many of, depending on brands or what is going on with certain distros.

Maybe the DLX boards with IV being the ones most common to find, but even then, the 8.38 or 8.5 are usually way more mellow than the 8.25 or 8.12 shapes, so it also depends on what size or shape you are looking for as to whether or not it will be better in that regard.

Other brands that use that same 8.38 shape I have bought, including DGK, Element, Baker, Birdhouse, Deathwish and more are all middle of the field, some more mellow and some not so mellow, regardless of how they are advertised, eg Baker mellow mold seems like it is the same board from the same press as all these others.

Most Passport decks (BBS) have also been very flat in the concave with medium to steep kicks, which also flatten out really well, as per some that I have done, but also some that come like that too, one 8.38 needed nothing whatsoever.  Other Passport boards have been quite deep / steep in kicks and concave, as per an 8.5 I got recently, but from half a dozen of each, some were steeper (top of the press) and some more mellow (bottom of the press).

I have also found quite a few PS Stix decks from brands like GX1000 or Quasi to be some of the steepest decks around, but then some other PS Stix boards have been very flat and very mellow in both kicks and concave.

The hardest thing with all this is if you can't go into a shop that has multiples of each board, or can't get someone to go through boards to find the most mellow, it is a bit of a lucky dip with those brands that use boards that come from woodshops that have four or five to a press.

As per those Passport boards, multiples of each have very different concave, for the same graphic on the same shape in the same run, as I have seen whenever I have bought up to half a dozen of the same boards.

I can pick and choose what I want to ride and put the rest in the shop / pass on to others, but it makes it harder for anyone else without those sort of options to find exactly what they are looking for.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2023, 09:49:17 PM »
Any nerds want to review these potential specs for a mellow board and let me know what you think?
Board Length: 32.25"
Wheelbase, in 14.25
Nose Length, in 7
Tail Length, in 6.75
Concave Drop, in 0.2   (I need to see if this measurement is .2" for the 10" mold, or for the eventual deck it will create).
Flat Concave Width, in 2 (flat part in middle of board with no concave)
Tub Concave Radius, in 6 (apparently 6" is a standard radius)
Kicknose, deg 18
Kicktail, deg 17
Nose Radius, in 6
Tail Radius, in 6
Transition Length, in 4 (from concave to flat)
Kick Gap, in 1 (aka fingers of flat)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2023, 11:31:22 PM »
Any nerds want to review these potential specs for a mellow board and let me know what you think?
Wheelbase, in 14.25
Nose Length, in 7
Tail Length, in 6.75
Concave Drop, in 0.2   (I need to see if this measurement is .2" for the 10" mold, or for the eventual deck it will create).
Kicknose, deg 18
Kicktail, deg 17
Nose Radius, in 6
Tail Radius, in 6

For the few things I am familiar with, board length, wheelbase, kick lengths and angles mainly, that seems like a really good mellow board with nice kicks.

Most of my boards bought new are roughly 20 - 21 (commonly 20 tail with 21 nose) degrees in kick angle, but parked on mellow out to about the 18 or so degrees, with anything under 16 being really flat and a little too weird to skate, although some people like it that flat.

The few boards I haven't needed to touch at all were around the 17 degrees on the tail when someone measured.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2023, 06:54:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Wheelbase, in 14.25
Nose Length, in 7
Tail Length, in 6.75
Kicknose, deg 18
Kicktail, deg 17
Nose Radius, in 6
Tail Radius, in 6
[close]

For the few things I am familiar with, board length, wheelbase, kick lengths and angles mainly, that seems like a really good mellow board with nice kicks.

Most of my boards bought new are roughly 20 - 21 (commonly 20 tail with 21 nose) degrees in kick angle, but parked on mellow out to about the 18 or so degrees, with anything under 16 being really flat and a little too weird to skate, although some people like it that flat.

The few boards I haven't needed to touch at all were around the 17 degrees on the tail when someone measured.

Thanks. The nose/tail radius and the tub concave radius are the ones I never hear discussed, probably because they're nearly impossible to measure unless you're CAD drafting the deck. Those parameters affect how quickly or gradually the board bends at the kicks and concave. I've noticed some boards having much sharper angles on concave and others having a gentle roll, but quantitatively I have no idea what the radii were. 

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2023, 10:21:27 AM »
The twin tail Bobby or Ishod is pretty flat. Especially for a dlx board.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2023, 11:32:51 AM »
I can verify I had a II and it was even more mellow than the Dreamer mellow mold 8.38 I had.

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2023, 03:58:11 PM »
Which trucks can be paired with a very flat and mellow kicks board?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2023, 04:30:41 PM »
I think it’s bc Ishod likes a flat deck and Bobby tried out Ishod board so he must like the flat concave too. It may be only the 8.3 that have this mellowness.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2023, 02:04:40 AM »
Which trucks can be paired with a very flat and mellow kicks board?

Whatever you want, but my sweet spot is a mid around 52mm. Gives me the snappy response I want but I don't feel like everything happens too fast like I sometimes do on a low. For SC e molds I like ventures, for spoonier molds I usually prefer films or aces.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2023, 05:04:31 AM »
Great now I want a disorder board

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2023, 05:34:28 AM »
Glue skateboards seem to be mellow.
I don't know if they have different concaves for different sizes though.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2023, 05:58:09 AM »
I think it’s bc Ishod likes a flat deck and Bobby tried out Ishod board so he must like the flat concave too. It may be only the 8.3 that have this mellowness.

I have the 8.0, 8.25 and 8.3 and they're all flat if you get the III or IV.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2023, 06:41:38 AM »

Idk I see a lot of ppl talking about riding a flat deck but not actually riding a flat deck 😳

nosneb

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2023, 06:44:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some of y’all have never ridden a mellow flat deck and it shows. All those dlx boards are NOT FLAT not even close lol
Girl chocolate palace are pretty flat just steep kicks which is annoying.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 07:04:37 AM by nosneb »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2023, 07:08:48 AM »
Flat as in nothing hits the arch of my foot. I used to only skate girl and chocolate and I’ve had a palace. The twin tails still feel flat compared to the 8.18 Real I’ve skated. The 8:38 Eagle I skated was pretty flat too.

Edit: But they’re not like the Blind Jason Lee reissue I skated. That is flat with no concave. But that was a straight 90s replica. Most companies in 2023 will have a little concave.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2023, 07:38:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Some of y’all have never ridden a mellow flat deck and it shows. All those dlx boards are NOT FLAT not even close lol

I had a girl 7.75 that had mellow kicks but more concave on than DOAs

Now the Tae and Tar Heel reissues were good. Flatter than a mf

LebowskisRug

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2023, 07:55:18 AM »
Crail decks are flat laterally but have a lot of distance between the bolts and kicks so their kick angle is actually quite high. I got an 8.375 that had almost the same dims as my usual and hated it. It felt suuuuper long. So I used 2 contour gauges and a measuring tape and found the distance between the kicks was an inch longer. That might be why so many of their riders still skate "small" boards.

nosneb

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2023, 08:00:02 AM »
Tae, Carroll, new deal 7.5s that came out were perfect flatness and kick made all my flatground effortless. I also got the recent Tom penny 96 reissue is pretty nice. If you go to your local and hand pick through some wknd quasi snack boards you’ll find them surprisingly flat but most of them are pretty steep nose normal concave. Every krooked 4 I pick up is still hilariously curvy and steep. I’ve noticed some south central boards like politic doa or 5boro on those standard molds SOME of them are slightly mellower than usual but not anywhere close to flat mold but it’s worth checking in person.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2023, 08:11:12 AM »
Just ordered new forms to make very mellow molds. I should be pressing those by the end of February.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2023, 09:18:16 AM »
Just ordered new forms to make very mellow molds. I should be pressing those by the end of February.

Let’s see it frothy, you seem to know what you’re doing
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2023, 09:49:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree.
I’m not sure I’ve had a bbs board I’d call flat. Maybe some older bakers, but those weren’t flat, more mellow (I really liked their traditional shape, pointy/mellow).
Dlx boards have an insane looking swoopy concave, rocker? I dunno what it’s called but I don’t prefer it, at all.
Older girl/choco boards were better. Yes the ones we all hated. Pgi. The newer boards do have steeper kicks and it’s not rad. They are stiffer, but I’d rather them be flat and mellow.
Hopefully this thread keeps chugging along because actual flat boards are the shit, and I need more
Recommendations

nosneb

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2023, 09:58:41 PM »
I stacked an old pgi girl and chocolate to a modern deck and surprised to see they actually are the same angle. The thicker wood vs the new thinner wood makes the new one look steeper   

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2023, 10:38:31 PM »
I stacked an old pgi girl and chocolate to a modern deck and surprised to see they actually are the same angle. The thicker wood vs the new thinner wood makes the new one look steeper   

I’m super surprised by that, but can’t say I measured the old ones…the older wood felt floppier (over time I found I prefer floppy/whippy/flexy), and possibly mellowed out/lost it’s shape over time?
Dunno.
But it’s difficult for me to reconcile that my feelings are a lie.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2023, 04:47:11 AM »
Tae, Carroll, new deal 7.5s that came out were perfect flatness and kick made all my flatground effortless. I also got the recent Tom penny 96 reissue is pretty nice. If you go to your local and hand pick through some wknd quasi snack boards you’ll find them surprisingly flat but most of them are pretty steep nose normal concave. Every krooked 4 I pick up is still hilariously curvy and steep. I’ve noticed some south central boards like politic doa or 5boro on those standard molds SOME of them are slightly mellower than usual but not anywhere close to flat mold but it’s worth checking in person.

Do you usually only ride sub 8" boards?

You have some rad boards in your posts, that's for sure!

The reason I ask is I know some woodshops use the same mold for a 7.75 as they would for an 8.5 or so, which would make the 8.5 a little more upturned through side to side, than the 7.75 which would have a little (or a lot) less for comparable width of board.

Other woodshops use different molds for different size / shape boards, to keep the concave fairly consistent from a 7.75 through to a 9+ as those boards don't usually work so well being made on the same press.  I know it has been done, but some feel so weird, when compared to proportionate boards, if that makes sense.

I also get you on the DLX boards, but an interesting thing too, when comparing something like the 8.25 and the 8.38 boards - even the IV stamped 8.25 are usually still steeper than the I stamped from the 8.38 from way too many boards that have passed through my hands, both in places I worked for as well as every shop I have been in and could stand on boards - I have probably been a pain to some places over the years, but it is interesting to see anyway.

Rarely there are some 8.38 boards I have had or stood on which seem like they are way flatter than any other offering from DLX, but as you said, most are still about medium in the overall measure of concave between many woodshops.

Going through a few different woodshop boards, another one I overlooked before is HLC and some of these Plan B boards are very flat.  I seem to recall people saying they have three mold options, mellow, medium or steep, so I could see these being the mellow more than anything else.  There really seems like nothing through the middle and way too flat for me.

Another one which I think would be well and truely gone by now was a Bamboo board product that when sitting something across the middle, there was less than 1mm rise, so those things were flat and again nothing I would want to skate, but I have one in "the archives" so to speak.

nosneb

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2023, 05:59:58 AM »
I ride alll shapes and sizes but my main rides are tech decks.

Yes I know most of these boards are made that is 8.5-7.75 usually is the same mold just cut to size. Also know they make specific molds for size ranges too
I noticed dlx using the true fit mold which is cool but noticed the way the concave dips is wayyyyy closest together as the standard mold is longer and smoother out slightly.

I’ve ridden some jarts specifically the mellow one and they are nice and mellower than almost every deck in the skateshop
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 06:13:14 AM by nosneb »

nosneb

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2023, 06:12:26 AM »

Here is a og yeah right size 7.6 and a reissue yeah right 8.3 and yes the wider deck will always have more concave than the skinnier but the kicks are the same

Here is also a pic of the og yea right stacked with a modern 7.5 girl 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2023, 05:05:52 PM »
I ride alll shapes and sizes but my main rides are tech decks.

Yes I know most of these boards are made that is 8.5-7.75 usually is the same mold just cut to size. Also know they make specific molds for size ranges too
I noticed dlx using the true fit mold which is cool but noticed the way the concave dips is wayyyyy closest together as the standard mold is longer and smoother out slightly.

I’ve ridden some jarts specifically the mellow one and they are nice and mellower than almost every deck in the skateshop

Thanks!

Guessing the HLC / Jart mellow is the same as those Plan B boards.  We don't get Jart in AU, or at least I have never seen one here.

Still yet to get any of the DLX true fit boards here too, but I am more into a longer board and wheelbase anyway.  Interesting you have noticed that and curious to stand on one at least when they do come.

nosneb

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2023, 05:20:40 PM »
Next time I’m at the shop I’ll stack a true mold krooked (14wb) on top of a standard krooked(14.3wb)