Author Topic: No concave….  (Read 5417 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 231
Re: No concave….
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2023, 05:35:05 PM »
I have a new Polar P2 and a new DOA Flat as fuck, and the P2 tail is a little more mellow. Kind of surprised me.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2023, 05:39:30 PM »

This is one I had been sitting on for a long time, a very mellow DLX 8.38 Real, when compared to my usual DLX 8.38 IV board.  I hadn't wanted to set it up thinking it was going to be too flat, but finally thought I would give it a go and see.

It sure is way flatter than anything else and although a little too flat for transition, it is ok for street stuff.  It also feels smaller overall, but there are no differences in dimensions from the other 8.38 boards I usually ride.

Probably still not as flat as some, but it is interesting for comparisons.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2023, 06:51:04 PM »

This is one I had been sitting on for a long time, a very mellow DLX 8.38 Real, when compared to my usual DLX 8.38 IV board.  I hadn't wanted to set it up thinking it was going to be too flat, but finally thought I would give it a go and see.

It sure is way flatter than anything else and although a little too flat for transition, it is ok for street stuff.  It also feels smaller overall, but there are no differences in dimensions from the other 8.38 boards I usually ride.

Probably still not as flat as some, but it is interesting for comparisons.

Those are not considered mellow to me.

These are what I consider mellow

nosneb

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2023, 06:53:42 PM »

nosneb

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2023, 07:00:56 PM »

Tom penny top and jart bottom

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2023, 07:22:59 PM »

Og Girl Sheffey. Pretty flat. Exact flat as tar heel and tae re issue. Those reissues must be the most accurate reissues ever.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2023, 07:46:18 PM »

Og Girl Sheffey. Pretty flat. Exact flat as tar heel and tae re issue. Those reissues must be the most accurate reissues ever.

Board looks so good.
I’d love an 8 with this shape. As much as I worshipped 7.5s they are a little too much for me now. A good 7.75 is still a go. Aaaaanyways.

Haven’t had a real good truly flat board in a long while. Had a few hi-teks and those were decently flat.

nosneb

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2023, 07:51:22 PM »
A few scum co uses the press similar Hitek by the same woodshop I think the top will have a stamp c6 or 7 or something like that

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2023, 08:03:30 PM »
A few scum co uses the press similar Hitek by the same woodshop I think the top will have a stamp c6 or 7 or something like that

Aye thanks, I’ll try that. Dope brand, don’t think the locals stock em.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2023, 03:36:45 AM »

Iirc they just used the original molds. PS has a room full of like hundreds of molds which is why he went to the serial # system, shit was too hard to keep track of. If you watch enough bts factory tour vids you'll see it/hear him talk about it eventually.

I have a Tae and I love just blasting ollies on it but it feels like I'm skating a ski for the first few minutes. 7.5 with old sz 12 feet is not a great match.

@nosneb maybe I'll dig out the pop secret prototype and show everyone what "mellow" looks like haha... Pretty sure I still have it somewhere. That's the only board I've ever thought was too flat, I just could not flip it until I put heavy ass old indy standards on it.

nosneb

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2023, 06:39:35 AM »
Yea when I was taking girl boards out to stack for that photo a few post above. I thought about using one of those  pgi prototypes that was actually mellower than the yeah right

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2023, 06:57:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Iirc they just used the original molds. PS has a room full of like hundreds of molds which is why he went to the serial # system, shit was too hard to keep track of. If you watch enough bts factory tour vids you'll see it/hear him talk about it eventually.

I have a Tae and I love just blasting ollies on it but it feels like I'm skating a ski for the first few minutes. 7.5 with old sz 12 feet is not a great match.

@nosneb maybe I'll dig out the pop secret prototype and show everyone what "mellow" looks like haha... Pretty sure I still have it somewhere. That's the only board I've ever thought was too flat, I just could not flip it until I put heavy ass old indy standards on it.

I didn't mind riding 7.5. I wear size 13. It is just hard to keep finding nice 7.5s.

I liked it cause hardly and wheel bite. My toe or heel would hit first before wheel bite hit. Lol

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2023, 07:11:55 AM »
Maxallure advertises some of their boards as being flat concave, from pgi. Dunno if anyone has had one of these, not super looking forward to being the oldest guy with one of these, buuuuuuut who am I kidding? I skate solo flatground missions. It cannot be as bad as when I had an April board

nosneb

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2023, 07:35:54 AM »
Maxallure advertises some of their boards as being flat concave, from pgi. Dunno if anyone has had one of these, not super looking forward to being the oldest guy with one of these, buuuuuuut who am I kidding? I skate solo flatground missions. It cannot be as bad as when I had an April board
When they started it was all pgi but lately I seen some bbs
Seen a bunch of Natural koncept at my local they use pgi and I’ve seen a 775

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2023, 08:26:23 AM »

Thanks for posting some of those old boards.

It actually reminds me of a 90s Real 8.5 board that I should dig out and take pics of too.

That thing was completely flat, or at least felt like it, but it has nothing on anything else I have, even from the 92 or so Firm boards, which felt almost as flat as the Blind banana skull reissue from a while back.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2023, 12:12:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
When they started it was all pgi but lately I seen some bbs
Seen a bunch of Natural koncept at my local they use pgi and I’ve seen a 775

Natty Kon cannot be bad

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2023, 12:25:07 PM »
When you log in and no one has posted in this, or the 7.75 safe space, or the venture 2020 thread. 😣

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2023, 02:57:10 PM »

I was going to get out those boards, but it has been rainy here and I know not to get out old wood with such humidity.

Sorry, will try better next time.

AppleNick

• Rep: 19
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2023, 03:41:48 PM »
Thank You decks (some of them) are quite mellow in both kicks and wings, but some are not at all. Inspect in person at a shop if possible or order from somewhere that takes glamour shots of the concave.

nosneb

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2023, 05:19:54 PM »
few years back seen the daewon thank tiger 775 it was veryyyy mellowalso seen letici bufoni emoji board same mold pretty much. shoulda grabbed em  :'(

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2023, 06:33:19 PM »
few years back seen the daewon thank tiger 775 it was veryyyy mellowalso seen letici bufoni emoji board same mold pretty much. shoulda grabbed em  :'(

And this is where…like I’m not going to mail order and take a chance on a thank you board.
And the shops that are good near me, are probably not (definitely not) going to have a thank you board.
But now I’m tempted.
Concave preferences are the worst, because you have to see em in person.
Unfortunately it seems like the vast majority of consumers want bbs boards, so that is all that is at the shop. (TBC I don’t blame the shops: people want boards that are gonna last a month and half, and for a board to be able to go the distance, it’s going to need some bends).

Thanks for all ideas.
Totally not going to go look at thank you skateboards ig now

nosneb

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2023, 06:45:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And this is where…like I’m not going to mail order and take a chance on a thank you board.
And the shops that are good near me, are probably not (definitely not) going to have a thank you board.
But now I’m tempted.
Unfortunately it seems like the vast majority of consumers want bbs boards, so that is all that is at the shop. (TBC I don’t blame the shops: people want boards that are gonna last a month and half, and for a board to be able to go the distance, it’s going to need some bends).

Thanks for all ideas.

Forgot to mention they where psstix presses

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2023, 08:02:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

But now I’m tempted.

Thanks for all ideas.
[close]

Forgot to mention they where psstix presses

Damn.
It is undeniable that ps really fucks up some boards, like a significant amount.
But I just cannot quit them. Their concave, and shapes,  are the best.
I’ve tried to look up which toy machine boards are ps (couldn’t tell), or track down some more ps mellow stuff, hard to find that info online.

I have never skated an hlc board, but they sound like what I’m looking for

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2023, 08:24:46 AM »
Lured back to this place after hearing about the demise of DOA. I am currently skating a clutch blank that is weirdly flat, really enjoying it as best I can coming off an ankle injury. I was at a shop last week looking at Sour boards (HLC) and was reminded that they're decently flat and also pointy which is a big deal for me. Thinking one of those might be next.

I know PS Pressed Toy Machine boards been mentioned here, but Fletch once sent me a couple (lightly skated) ones in a trade and told me that they're the closest thing to E-mold.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2023, 12:14:02 PM »
Lured back to this place after hearing about the demise of DOA. I am currently skating a clutch blank that is weirdly flat, really enjoying it as best I can coming off an ankle injury. I was at a shop last week looking at Sour boards (HLC) and was reminded that they're decently flat and also pointy which is a big deal for me. Thinking one of those might be next.

I know PS Pressed Toy Machine boards been mentioned here, but Fletch once sent me a couple (lightly skated) ones in a trade and told me that they're the closest thing to E-mold.

I don’t skate. But I might buy some skate stuff because I’m back to lurking. Terrible.
Any idea on how to find out which Toy Machine boards are PS? There’s no way the local shops carry that, so I’d be flying blind on the order. A bad toy machine doesn’t sound fun. I’ve had some of their boards in the past and tbh really enjoyed the flat/pointy, and the wood was decent. This is like 12 ish years ago but still.

The hlc boards are the ones that have my interest the most

Glad the ankle is recovering

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2023, 12:24:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t skate. But I might buy some skate stuff because I’m back to lurking. Terrible.
Any idea on how to find out which Toy Machine boards are PS? There’s no way the local shops carry that, so I’d be flying blind on the order. A bad toy machine doesn’t sound fun. I’ve had some of their boards in the past and tbh really enjoyed the flat/pointy, and the wood was decent. This is like 12 ish years ago but still.

No idea. My understanding was that the pro boards were PS and that it was the logos that are iffy...but I haven't been keeping up. Of the boards from Fletch, one was a Jeremy Leberes IIRC. This was about 2 years ago.

The Sour HLC boards are a lot better looking than Toy and (last time I tried) I preferred the wood. I had an 8.5" and it was pretty mellow, and the smaller 8.125 I saw at the shop looked and felt even more so. It could have also been a fluke, but I think at least one of their shapes (S1?) is intentionally mellow.

FUBAR

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2023, 04:07:24 PM »
I do have a stack right now (to include a P2 and DOA flat) but once I go throuh it I am done ordering decks…I’ll just sort through the local for something mellow. Tired of wasting me money gambling with getting a steep deck or a mellow version.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2023, 07:03:18 PM »
I do have a stack right now (to include a P2 and DOA flat) but once I go throuh it I am done ordering decks…I’ll just sort through the local for something mellow. Tired of wasting me money gambling with getting a steep deck or a mellow version.

This is a good plan, and I love the local shops, but board manufacturing is so homogenized.

Yeah nacho I think hlc is my next, mellow and pointy is my fave

FUBAR

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2023, 02:11:01 AM »
I know what I said above but I just got another deck. If you are looking for very little concave and want to skate something different, check out that Theories Nucleus shape. 8.75 x 32.25, 14.25 wb (according to the site…I have not measured it yet but at least the length seems legit). I got a good deal on it and couldn’t pass it up.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2023, 08:39:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

No idea. My understanding was that the pro boards were PS and that it was the logos that are iffy...but I haven't been keeping up. Of the boards from Fletch, one was a Jeremy Leberes IIRC. This was about 2 years ago.

The Sour HLC boards are a lot better looking than Toy and (last time I tried) I preferred the wood. I had an 8.5" and it was pretty mellow, and the smaller 8.125 I saw at the shop looked and felt even more so. It could have also been a fluke, but I think at least one of their shapes (S1?) is intentionally mellow.

Most monster/logo decks I've seen in the states are PS, but theres still a lot of pandemic wood floating around and some of those are chinese. There's even some Watson wood still available from their pandemic Tumyeto runs. Luckily PA boards are stamped and stickered, so just look for the identifying marks. The Chinese ones say made in China and the ones I've seen were all steep. The Watson ones were only a couple old graphics but they have med kicks and flat concave.