Author Topic: Bs Crooks  (Read 1125 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
Bs Crooks
« on: January 20, 2023, 06:55:22 AM »
Any tips

I can lock in an grind everytime but I only come out successfully a few out of many

I used to put my wait on my heel when I was younger and had them on lock but it's not working for me now
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

borats cat

• Rep: -20
Re: Bs Crooks
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 07:00:40 AM »
first things first, just call it a crook. the bs is implied. same w/ boardslide, noseslide and other tricks. second things second, they're easier to fakie so if you're grinding to a halt, pivot right then or before. other tacky way out is noseslide, you start to go to fakie, feel the less resistance when you hit noseslide then turn it back to regs.
to land them forward, i find going off the end a lot easier than popping/flopping out the middle. happy crooking!

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 06:37:00 PM »
Weight should be on the ball of your foot.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 08:44:29 PM »
Does anyone have any tips on how to pop and get on one? I can slappy crook but I cannot figure out how to ollie into one at all.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 02:42:50 PM »
Put some distance between yourself and the ledge/curb at first. The biggest mistake I see people making when learning them is being too close to the ledge and they end up overshooting and landing in a fucked up boardslide. The distance will help you learn how to lock into the crook. Don't worry if you're locking into the crook and quickly falling to the side. Once you can lock into a crook each try, start putting more of your weight on your nose. Once you gain some confidence, start trying to stand up on the crook instead of falling to the side. The more weight you put on your nose, the better. As your confidence improves, focus on keeping your head above the nose while you're grinding. As for popping out, I suggest finding that will allow you to reach the end. Just give your nose a nice push forward once you're at the end of the ledge and the rest will work itself out.

mfweeno

• Rep: 27
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 03:35:10 PM »
Put some distance between yourself and the ledge/curb at first. The biggest mistake I see people making when learning them is being too close to the ledge and they end up overshooting and landing in a fucked up boardslide. The distance will help you learn how to lock into the crook. Don't worry if you're locking into the crook and quickly falling to the side. Once you can lock into a crook each try, start putting more of your weight on your nose. Once you gain some confidence, start trying to stand up on the crook instead of falling to the side. The more weight you put on your nose, the better. As your confidence improves, focus on keeping your head above the nose while you're grinding. As for popping out, I suggest finding that will allow you to reach the end. Just give your nose a nice push forward once you're at the end of the ledge and the rest will work itself out.

These are all great tips, especially the distance piece.

Once I started ollieing "earlier"/with more distance from the ledge, I felt like I was able to push right into the crook lock and pinch every time. It takes some getting used to, but when you get in the groove it's a lightbulb moment.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 03:40:02 PM »
I wouldn't say your weight needs to be on the ball of your foot. I put my weight on the outside edge of the middle of my foot, not too far back or foreward.

Things that helped me are just putting my board on a curb and standing on the pinch to see how it should feel. Then, approaching a nice waxed up Ledge with a solid 90 degree edge (no rounded stuff), I'd just practice slowly ollieing into that punch from a 45.

When getting out, just do a noseslide like nudge and keep both feet nice and flat and in contact with the board so it doesn't flip out on you. I notice my board flips when I'm not intentionally nudging to get off the Ledge. Falling off the end of the Ledge results in accidental board flips.

Gonna have to ask someone else about popping mid Ledge, I can't do that shit.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 11:13:36 PM »
Weights got to be above the curb edge or you'll just fall off/won't be able to pop off

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 11:40:42 AM »
Usually when i do a crook i dont worry at all about the ollie or like the distance i pop from. Eventually with practice you figure out it works just like a noseslide. All the difference is:

- immediately being ready to slide on your nose (and some of your truck), but leaning back slightly to not overburden your front foot (your front foot is just a clamp, much like in a noseslide, to keep the truck and board in the position you want to achieve. you are following behind the clamp keeping the board in position and waiting for it to "drive through" the length of coping/ledge you are grinding, this is why a good bs crook kinda has a "ninja kick" look, dont be afraid to crouch a bit on it)

- making sure that your board locks in very properly, precision is half this trick but can be worked on using stalls (although they can be sort of dejecting since stalling a crook isnt very comfortable to stand on without parallel momentum)

- making sure your weight once you lock in is perfectly balanced between the ball of your foot and your HEEL, this very much seems at first like you have to transfer ALL your weight to your front heel to keep the pinch clamped tight but this isnt very good for when you need to pop out or end up catching a bit on the ledge (need to be able to adjust that clamp for certain obstacles)

Right now im learning switch crooks and im trying to use these same principles, but the eluding factor still remains with me clamping my heel too tightly, getting a good grind and pinch, but not being dextrous enough to transfer my weight to the ball of my foot slightly, pop out, and keep my shoulders parallel enough through all that to ride away comfortably switch. The one thing that does help though is imagining my front foot as a clamp and sort of bulldozing behind it as i use it to grind one tiny corner of my truck on the ledge.

Sifter

• Rep: 46
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 12:51:10 AM »
Front foot: Be on the ball.  Flat footed my heel usually catches the ledge and pitches me forward (easy to run out of)
Back foot: In the middle, normal ollie position.  I know some who have it more fs shuv-ish but that doesn't really work for me.  Don't worry too much if your backfoot feels like a weird ass nollie heel during it

Ride parallel to the ledge. ollie the front truck above the ledge, turn slightly in, and land on top.  I started out kinda mob ollieing into the side of the ledge then shifting up onto the top.  It felt and looked weird
Avoid sharp angles as it'll go to nose slide or land too heavy.  180/shuv out can help here

Decide if you want to crook off the end of the ledge or come out early.
Do some little nollie bumps off the ledge if possible at first.  Helped me get the feel of pushing the nose out at the end.  Similar to pushing a nose manual out at the end

Would love to see it!

Mansymbols

• Rep: 1
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 02:52:54 AM »
The only tip I can add to the good advice already stated is to remember that the back foot (and the rest of your body really) is pushing the momentum to keep the grind moving.

At first I used to think it was about popping on and pushing all weight onto the front foot, but you will just pinch to a halt and pivot off at best if you do that.

Practice slappy crooks for the feeling, then when popping onto a ledge remember the tension through your body, careful though as too much back foot will cause you to shoot out.

And for popping out mid ledge, this may not work for everyone, but its like playing a mind trick on yourself and think of it as hopping or shifting your weight backwards and away from the ledge.
Even though visually you and your board move forward and away.

By backwards and away think of the direction of the ledge being 12 o clock and you are doing a quick little shift of your weight to roughly 4 or 5 o clock.
It makes sense in my mind as thats where your tail is.

I never realised how hard describing tricks via text was.

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 08:07:12 PM »
This is probably my favorite trick (crookedgrinder was my old name) and my go to on ledges. The way I do it is a different but it works for me. My front foot is on or just below the the bottom left bolt (I'm regular) I would go at it straight almost like I was going to do a bs  slappy or something but maybe a few feet before the ledge I lean and turn to the right so I'll have momentum and the right angle to where I would grind and not stall when I Ollie into it. thats how I learned it back in the day and now I don't have to approaching it in that silly manner anymore

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 04:32:23 AM »
thinking of putting your weight through your heel works for me, especially when popping in. just slam that front foot down and keep it flat. really stand up on it, and the faster you go the easier the pop out is. this is one of my favourite tricks to do so my front truck has a nice groove for it and i swear it makes it so much easier to get a nice pinch compared to new trucks.

its tough to just ride off the edge of a ledge with a crook. so make sure youre popping out. popping out isnt that hard to get a feel for, as long as your back foot is in a good spot, you can just shove the board forward a bit and then pull back with your back foot. if you can pop out the end of a ledge you can pop out the middle, just hop to the side a bit. and like someone else said keep those feet flat, its not a massive amount of movement or twisting you need to do, its a very straight forward trick that i believe anyone can learn in a session.

switchfakie

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 07:19:12 PM »
youre falling off even though you're locking in + grinding because you're not directly over/on top of the ledge when grinding

if you picture your chin right over your foot, you'll have your body weight in the correct position and after that, you just need a slight nollie/nudge to land it properly

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2023, 07:54:19 AM »
the way i do it;

approach the ledge completely paralell.
aim for a bs nosegrind but put full pressure on the nose instead of trying to balance it. try to hardly angle your back truck at all. it will start to tweak itself out after awhile.

I like to have my toe in the pocket, the ideal position is where you can push the board with it so ideally you want to have a bit of board available after your toes

you just nollie out to the side to get out. use the momentum of the grind to help get out. this is why i like to have my front foot in that position as well, it helps me get the pop. this is the hardest part for beginners but once you get it down its pretty easy actually. your nollie out will probalby start off as more of a "fall out" but you gotta just keep working at it, no one has good pop outs the first day they do crooks.
ONTARIO CANADA