Author Topic: R.I.P. William "Wild Bill" Walker (Pro-Designed Pads)  (Read 2050 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
R.I.P. William "Wild Bill" Walker (Pro-Designed Pads)
« on: June 29, 2023, 05:40:30 PM »
Wild Bill has left this world. Dude was a Texas legend, who had been part of the skate world for...40+ years. Godspeed.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

The night listener

• Rep: -163
Re: R.I.P. William "Wild Bill" Walker (Pro-Designed Pads)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 04:48:33 AM »
Yeah I met hit a few times he was a nice guy every time. He really loved making custom work. Rest in peace bill hope you're shredding up in heaven.

Bummer Vacation

• Rep: 12
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 07:56:07 AM »
When I started skating bowls a lot I bought some of the hip pads off him. Only exchanged a few emails with him but seemed like a pretty genuine dude. Sad to hear about this.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 08:03:30 AM »
Damn, used to see him a lot at The Skatepark of Houston when I was a teenager.  Really cool guy, this sucks to hear.  RIP to a legend

Skeleton Pudding

• Rep: 11
  • A liver and a frighter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 02:44:21 PM »
This hit me hard.

I feel like Wild Bill is one of those creative weirdos that can never be replicated. Like a Gonz or Neil Blender but instead of a skateboard he had a sewing machine.

My last order of kneepads wasn't an easy one. I had to call Bill multiple times, making sure he had the right measurements, and to see what the status was. When they were finally sent, it was an entirely wrong order made out of a fuzzy purple material, that would have been like wearing a pair of muppets on my knees. I was cool about it, and ended up getting the right pads in the end. My last pair of Pro Design kneepads lasted me 10 years, and at 50 years old this is likely the final kneepads I'll ever own. I'm grateful to have them.

Throughout the status of my order, Bill would phone me. When I saw that Houston number pop up, I knew I was in for a looong call. His ramblings felt like a psychedelic journey, with twists and turns, talking about his truck, Texas pros, and his struggle finding reliable help for his shop. They were always entertaining and it made me happy to talk to a dude whose pads I've been using for 30 years. It felt like speaking to a celebrity.

RIP to a true original.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 11:14:09 PM »
RIP
Cocteau Twins

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 11:32:39 AM »
There aren’t many that I know of that has probably made skateboarding this much a part of their life to this degree. I will always regret not ordering a set of pads. RIP.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 11:45:31 AM »
damn dude, rest in peace. when i broke the plastic plate in my wristguard i emailed him re: how to change it--he told me to call him and he walked me through it over the phone. THE best wristguards

KILLEDTHEPOOL

• Rep: 17
  • I'm not a player I just throw up a lot.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 08:28:38 PM »
Does anyone know if anyone else is planning on continuing his work? Did he have any family with pad construction knowledge? So sad to hear
Rest In Pads, Wild Bill
Ⓐ//Ⓔskate fast or d̶o̶n̶t̶ DIE!

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 10:24:09 PM »
RIP
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2023, 11:21:16 PM »
Does anyone know if anyone else is planning on continuing his work? Did he have any family with pad construction knowledge? So sad to hear
Rest In Pads, Wild Bill

I spoke with Bill about 9 months before he died. He said he was having trouble finding consistent help in his factory. It never sounded like there was anyone else who was intrinsically involved (e.g. no one to continue it on). I have a bunch of friends in Texas that knew him. I'll ask if they have heard anything, but my best guess from what I've heard, is that Pro-Designed as we know it, has also left this world.

IMHO, someone should get some some his pads, and take them apart, to see how they are made. With that knowledge (and "blue print" parts), start some company in homage to him making similar pads...maybe call it "Bill-Designed," instead. I always wear a fwd elbow pad when I skate...and nothing comes close to what he produced. I am thankful I have a few PD elbows to keep me going for quite awhile. Pads are rad when you're not a kid anymore.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 07:36:10 AM »
Following up on my previous post. I spoke to a few Texas-based people. Below are their comments about the current state of Pro-Designed.

"Bill had like 7 brothers. Although I'm not sure what they plan to do. I do know the last time I was at Wild Bills warehouse he had me looking through several boxes to find the color wrist guard I liked.. so he did have some stock, although he usually made them to order. My friend Will that I skate with from time to time had him making a set of knee pads for him before Bill got sick. When he talked to him last Bill told him they were almost ready. Then he was hospitalized shortly after that. Will told me he was contacted by one of Bills family members that advised him they saw the conversation on Bills phone & that they would try to deliver the pads, if possible. So im not sure if they are just trying to make a few old orders right or if theyll move forward with anything with Pro-Designed, Inc. as a whole. Frank Gardner was very close to Wild Bill. They talked daily. If anyone would know anything more it would be Frank, I would think. *Side note, I personally think Pro Designed, Inc. would be best in Frank's hands. I'm not just saying that because I know him, hell.. . we are not even close anymore, like we used to be. I say this because Frank is so crafty, he's good at anything he does. He has done so many trades over the years & done them well. Also Frank & Bill were best friends. So yea, not sure where any of this is going to go with his actual family. Just my personal opinion."

"I’m in touch with Marie, his sister, and was in touch with Bill near daily for the weeks and months leading up to his departure. There is no plan yet to continue or sell PD as a company yet, that I know of. Bill wanted to pass the torch, we talked about it, but only if he knew things would be done his way - which of course he said he could never find anyone to do or who was willing to buy the company and keep him on for quality control or whatever. It’s an active conversation with a few possible outcomes as far as I know, with no official plans yet. There are a limited number of pads and recaps reclaimed from the warehouse, I’m not sure what’s happening with those yet but they may be the last of it all."

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 10:23:04 AM »
Another from from Texas I asked about the future of PD...

"Thanks Chris, I've had several reach out to me to find out about their orders, One was Raney Beres but when I contacted Marie/Sister, she said there was no way for them to know who's orders were who's when they packed up his warehouse. She didn't have a way to complete those orders or any Biz transaction notes to confirm deposits. Unfortunately, Bill did Biz Old school, with a notepad, mental notes and memory. Apparently there is still plans for a formal Memorial/celebration for Bill where she plans to make some stock remaining available for sale, but no details and certainly no intention of crazy prices. For the continuation of PD Pads, Live Levon mentioned, it would take a very dedicated person or group to continue his quality and detail, not simple to convert into mass production, Bill would want it to stay Texas and hand-made. I would like to say I am very disappointed that I have seen NOTHING in Honor mentioned from any of the "Big" pad companies about his passing and the fact that most every modern pad was evolved and designed from PD. *I am Announcing the Banger in the Hanger in a couple weeks and plan to make several mentions, props for Bill and start each days skating with a big crowd YEE HAW in his honor. Like most things in Texas Skateboarding We must Take care of our own, prop-push-honor as the global skate-world/industry views us second-fiddle AND SO that's exactly what we will do. Hopefully someone seek to take Bills Vison and carry it on. Much Love."

KILLEDTHEPOOL

• Rep: 17
  • I'm not a player I just throw up a lot.
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2023, 04:44:24 AM »
Hey thanks so much for looking into it, that would be amazing if someone can continue his legacy (if his family feels that's what he would have wanted). It's sad these days there are not many people committed to craftsmanship and willing to take the time, care and attention to detail like Bill did. He was a real one forsure. My first set of pads were zebra print PDs an OG kicked down to me when I was 13. I lost track of them years ago and I've been kicking myself for it since, even before I heard he passed. And ditto on the lead elbow, if I could come up on one left elbow pad I'd be happy  😊. I would also totally be down to help with reverse engineering and helping put some pairs together, I'm not in Texas anymore but just hope his family knows there are people out here who care and would be willing to do whatever they can to help 🤷‍♂️
Ⓐ//Ⓔskate fast or d̶o̶n̶t̶ DIE!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2023, 05:11:13 AM »
Used to want a set of Pro Designed pads so bad, sick pads.  RIP.