Author Topic: Primitive is out of control  (Read 12831 times)

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Primitive is out of control
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2022, 07:35:32 AM »
Does this mean P-Rod is born again Christian now or what

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2192
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2022, 07:43:31 AM »
Wait… are you telling me that the already Christian P-Rod known for praying into his hat has died in order to make way for this newly reborn phoenix of a P-Rod who is still Christian?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2022, 03:56:08 PM »

the Rodriguez's been down with JC

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2022, 04:05:01 PM »
I opened this thread thinking it'd be about Ryan Lay going to Primitive. Paul skateboardings Stienbrener

pro club blanks

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2022, 10:43:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the Rodriguez's been down with JC

JC of un tallboy

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2022, 10:08:16 AM »
What else would you expect? Primitive is literally the worst company of all time. Sure they "take care of" their team but that is nothing but a ploy to sell more products. The company is run by an old Indian guy and his 24 year old son both who have absolutely no knowledge or background in skateboarding. Also, not one employee I've met from this company has had one good thing to say about their experience working there.

I figure we owe the native american a lot. What happened to them is a travesty and they’ve lended their imagery of dream catchers and headdress’ for tattoos to thousands of white people without imagination.
 Let’em have a successful skate company.

R3dBullRox420

« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2022, 04:14:41 PM »
Expand Quote
What else would you expect? Primitive is literally the worst company of all time. Sure they "take care of" their team but that is nothing but a ploy to sell more products. The company is run by an old Indian guy and his 24 year old son both who have absolutely no knowledge or background in skateboarding. Also, not one employee I've met from this company has had one good thing to say about their experience working there.
[close]

I figure we owe the native american a lot. What happened to them is a travesty and they’ve lended their imagery of dream catchers and headdress’ for tattoos to thousands of white people without imagination.

Agree with your take on tasteless tattoos and reparations, but I'm pretty sure he meant Indian as in from the southeast Asia subcontinent. Pretty sure it's only ok for actual members of tribes to refer to indigenous ppl as "Indians" at this point

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2022, 09:14:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree with your take on tasteless tattoos and reparations, but I'm pretty sure he meant Indian as in from the southeast Asia subcontinent. Pretty sure it's only ok for actual members of tribes to refer to indigenous ppl as "Indians" at this point

I thought American Indian was an acceptable/the preferred nomenclature lately if you are referring to the abstract population.   Individually, refer to them by their tribal name.   

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2022, 10:04:57 PM »
Maybe it's because SLAP isn't the normal crowd, but I don't quite understand how these collabs between * random intellectual property * and * board company * are such cash cows. I don't think I've ever been at a shop and seen a superhero/ninja turtles/hot sauce x board company board and been like "damn, lemme see THAT one!"

They are generally pretty wack lol. Santa Cruz is probably the worst offender, but Habitat has also done embarrassing collabs with Bob's Burgers and NASA among others. Do they really help keep the lights on that much?

Palace does it and it's cool though. IDK.

The Twin Peaks X Habitat collab gets a pass from me haha.

*disclaimer asm of a zumiez*

definitely sell more Primitive clothing than we do their hard goods. the appeal for these collabs are mostly people who relate to the collab. what i get told by buyers of these is that usually that the designs are a lot better than what's out there for that specific *insert anime or company here*. so i guess more aesthetically pleasing than what you could find at Hot Topic, FYE, Amazon. as for boards, people usually buy these boards as wall decorations, which can probably explain why these specific Primitive boards are made in China rather than BBS or USA. keep in mind, it's mostly not skaters buying these items. some of them don't even know what Primitive is, they just know the collab, it's hot, and it's what people want.

for sure these collabs aren't for skaters, but it helps for brand recognition for Primitive so maybe and it helps both parties make $$$ in the end. i know a couple people who've come back just to buy Primitive the clothing after buying their collab pieces.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2022, 05:42:16 AM »
I was curious why everyone in the last season of Cobra Kai was wearing Primitive gear. I’m sure there was some kinda deal there as well.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 606
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2022, 06:50:31 AM »

Primitive Skateboarding is a skateboard company created by professional skateboarder Paul Rodriguez, Executive Vice President Heath Brinkley, CEO Andy Netkin, and Jubal Jones

I don't see any "Indian". It seems they all are americans. Not like it would be a problem but it sure looks like it does matter to you and it makes you a dork.

You won't find many skateboarders who know how to run a company of that scale.
Prod was smart enough to get help from people outside of skateboarding

Yeah it's corny but it seems successful
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 07:00:15 AM by BALARGUE »

R3dBullRox420

« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2022, 10:03:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Primitive Skateboarding is a skateboard company created by professional skateboarder Paul Rodriguez, Executive Vice President Heath Brinkley, CEO Andy Netkin, and Jubal Jones
[close]

I don't see any "Indian". It seems they all are americans. Not like it would be a problem but it sure looks like it does matter to you and it makes you a dork.

You won't find many skateboarders who know how to run a company of that scale.
Prod was smart enough to get help from people outside of skateboarding

Yeah it's corny but it seems successful

Created by and run by are two different things. Mitch Bhatia has multiple C suite roles at Primitive, and is Indian.
Not sure why the nationality is actually relevant tho... but I think their main point was that brands tend to lose some integrity as they scale and add corporatize.

Blinded

• Rep: -20
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2023, 02:08:37 PM »
....Wow cool another primitive collab. Bob Marley after Tupac..what's next star wars? Walking dead? big bang theory? Are skate shops really eating this shit up? Can I get the buy 3 decks for $80 ecom special with these? Team signing at "RSQ" aka Tilly's. Shoutout to the "core" shops carrying what Tilly's carry's. Braille more core than primitive? Anyone else sick of all the collabs out there?

doublesteveburger

« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2023, 02:13:03 PM »
rabble rabble rabble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2023, 02:15:06 PM »
Why are we here?
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3325
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2023, 02:39:17 PM »

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2023, 02:56:44 PM »
crailtap did a collarboration with Herschel a bag company, didn't even make a bag with skateboard straps, no one making a thread about that

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2023, 03:06:13 PM »
crailtap did a collarboration with Herschel a bag company, didn't even make a bag with skateboard straps, no one making a thread about that

Hersch worked at, and is good friends with, the craig crew.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

e.d.

• Rep: 65
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2023, 03:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you talking about Hershel Baltrotsky? I don’t think he was ever involved with this company.

greenbeans

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2023, 04:14:08 PM »
Primitive has gone too far. Megadeth? What the fuck
At least their other collabs were relevant to their fanbase.

Next up DGK doing a Pantera collab

As long as they are making profit, they are good. I think you are over analyzing this

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2230
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2023, 05:20:51 PM »

I usually get super mad when people bump old threads like this for no good reason and believe me, I'm still mad, but at least Gay introduced me to that song because of it. In return, I offer:

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -512
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2023, 06:52:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I usually get super mad when people bump old threads like this for no good reason and believe me, I'm still mad, but at least Gay introduced me to that song because of it. In return, I offer:

Damned if you start a redundant thread, damned if you bump one. 

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2023, 08:28:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As someone who knows the brothers behind Herschel I think youre mistaken. They were both in the indusrty prior to starting the brand regardless.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2023, 08:51:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

As someone who knows the brothers behind Herschel I think youre mistaken. They were both in the indusrty prior to starting the brand regardless.

didn’t at least one of them do the graphics for girl in early 2010s?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2023, 09:33:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They should start a kiddie skate program à la Element Twigs and call 'em the Herschel Squirts.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2023, 09:46:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

but why would they even collaborate and not make a product not relevant to skateboarding ?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2023, 10:47:01 PM »
I got an Indy bag from Herschel and it has straps……why isn’t anyone talking about THAT……

Well….it could be because it’s uninteresting…….

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2023, 02:22:53 AM »
Ok. Let’s clear the air here. 

Girl Art Dump guy - Herschel Baltrovsky (sp?)

Herschel bag company - brothers Jamie and Lyndon Cormack adopted the name of the town where three generations of their family grew up.

Now we can proceed