Author Topic: Nothing Special bearings  (Read 1722 times)

Daewons front truck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Nothing Special bearings
« on: March 02, 2023, 07:58:10 PM »
I had never heard of this bearing brand before stumbling across them online. Have any of you guys heard of this brand or tried them? Bearings are like the only things I'm real picky about on a skateboard. I usually use Bones, Modus, or Oust (support these guys, they are the best bearings I have ridden the 20+ years I've been skating. Also they may be the only company that makes bearings in the United States!!!!) Anyways I went to their website and they have some big skaters on their team. Jeron Wilson, Diego Najera, Kevin White, Dominick Walker, Robert Neal, Adrian Del Campo, Manny Santiago, and Ish Cepeda. Are these good bearings or do they live up to their name, "Nothing Special."

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
Re: Nothing Special bearings
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 08:54:19 AM »
I had never heard of this bearing brand before stumbling across them online. Have any of you guys heard of this brand or tried them? Bearings are like the only things I'm real picky about on a skateboard. I usually use Bones, Modus, or Oust (support these guys, they are the best bearings I have ridden the 20+ years I've been skating. Also they may be the only company that makes bearings in the United States!!!!) Anyways I went to their website and they have some big skaters on their team. Jeron Wilson, Diego Najera, Kevin White, Dominick Walker, Robert Neal, Adrian Del Campo, Manny Santiago, and Ish Cepeda. Are these good bearings or do they live up to their name, "Nothing Special."

Vast majority of skate bearings today are just cheaply made rebranded stuff from a Chinese OEM. Most of these companies will never say where their bearings are made either. Every now and then I will contact some companies and ask - most never respond. Of the recent emails or social media contacts I put out - only SKF bothered to answer. Think about that for a minute.

As far as Oust goes, I've contacted them asking where their bearings are made and got no response. It is doubtful they are really made in the USA. Maybe they do some final assembly and packaging here but they are probably dealing with an overseas supplier from Europe or Asia.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 09:54:29 AM by blahblah999 »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 04:04:20 PM »
They come in a really nice little box with 4 spacers and 8 speed rings. Local shop dude recommended them.
I'd say they're equal to bones reds, I'm happy I got them

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 04:12:02 PM »
Nothing special is basically diamond bearings. It through their distribution if I recall correctly I know one of the dudes who works for them cause he was my skate shop employee when I was a kid. I don’t think they’re doing anything different just an avenue to expand diamonds distribution company.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 09:19:49 AM »
Not to be a huge commercial for those guys, but Quantum are genuinely the only new bearing brand that are doing something unique. I’m still on the same set from 2 years ago this month.

blahblah999

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 10:08:52 AM »
Not to be a huge commercial for those guys, but Quantum are genuinely the only new bearing brand that are doing something unique. I’m still on the same set from 2 years ago this month.

They sure do hype their product on here a lot. Stealth advertising at its finest. From what I can tell it's another company with bearings from China, though they claim they are better quality than the competitors because of testing and what lube they use. Call me a skeptic. I guess people like them though.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 01:54:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They sure do hype their product on here a lot. Stealth advertising at its finest. From what I can tell it's another company with bearings from China, though they claim they are better quality than the competitors because of testing and what lube they use. Call me a skeptic. I guess people like them though.
Quantum or “Nothing Special?” Quantum Bearings has repeatedly said that they make the bearings at UNC, but I don’t know about where they source their materials. Regardless, I’d rather get a set of Isotopes over Swiss, based on my 3-4 month experience. If you’re skeptical about prices, keep in mind that Bones probably has to pay some sort of tariffs for importing Swiss bearings, so that’s why Quantum is a bit cheaper.

blahblah999

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 02:01:20 PM »

Quantum or “Nothing Special?” Quantum Bearings has repeatedly said that they make the bearings at UNC, but I don’t know about where they source their materials. Regardless, I’d rather get a set of Isotopes over Swiss, based on my 3-4 month experience. If you’re skeptical about prices, keep in mind that Bones probably has to pay some sort of tariffs for importing Swiss bearings, so that’s why Quantum is a bit cheaper.

Both. I went through that Q thread awhile ago. Pretty sure that dude mentioned using a manufacturer in China. I would guess the NC facility is just testing/packing/distro.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 02:20:33 PM »
I also don't want sound like a commercial for quantum as I have done so on slap before but they've been really good to me. Roll and hold up better than any set of swiss or swiss 6 iv owned

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 02:21:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's packaged in Concord, NC but the bearings are made overseas.

Re: Our bearings being made overseas

-  It is our design being manufactured overseas.
 It is true the bearings are made overseas but they are made 
to our tolerances specific to the performance we are looking to achieve with the coating.
 We’re not just buying bulk bearings, pre-made, from the cheapest knock off supplier and spraying our coating on them. 
  Even if you purchased in bulk overseas with a comparable design to our bearings, you need to select and qualify a reputable supplier.  If you run through trading companies you get what you get and the cost is higher.  If you work directly with bearing manufacturers, they require high volumes levels or you get no love.  We are pulling relationship levers with suppliers, that we have developed, over time, working with high end opto and opto-mech OEM providers.

We’re definitely not trying to insult anyone’s intelligence or baffle anyone with bullshit.

We’ve made it pretty known (right in the first couple pages of this thread even) that our bearings are manufactured overseas by reputable suppliers.  Just because something is bought in bulk, from China, doesn’t make it bad if it’s bought from the proper supplier.  I’m sure you agree.

The tech added is all us.  Every single bearing.

As for the lube, I assure you it’s made and bottled 100% in our lab.

Our bearings have tested really well and are currently being used by 100’s of skaters, are being carried by some of the most reputable shops in the country and other parts of the world and have proven to be great products.

The results are there.  People love the bearings and are getting more than their money’s worth.

We’re definitely not trying to deceive or get over on anyone and absolutely not trying to get rich off deceiving skateboarders.

https://www.quantumbearing.science/online-store/p/isotopes

Designed, coated, 100% tested, and packaged in our lab

Found in all of their bearing product descriptions
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 04:27:21 PM by yourbreakfsat »

Daewons front truck

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 06:48:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Vast majority of skate bearings today are just cheaply made rebranded stuff from a Chinese OEM. Most of these companies will never say where their bearings are made either. Every now and then I will contact some companies and ask - most never respond. Of the recent emails or social media contacts I put out - only SKF bothered to answer. Think about that for a minute.

As far as Oust goes, I've contacted them asking where their bearings are made and got no response. It is doubtful they are really made in the USA. Maybe they do some final assembly and packaging here but they are probably dealing with an overseas supplier from Europe or Asia.

I have spoken to them personally and know for a fact they are made in the USA, if you don't believe me, because I'm some random guy on the internet you can dig for old articles and forum discussions regarding oust and plenty confirm that they are made in America! 

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 08:40:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have spoken to them personally and know for a fact they are made in the USA, if you don't believe me, because I'm some random guy on the internet you can dig for old articles and forum discussions regarding oust and plenty confirm that they are made in America!

Yeah, I'm surprised the nerds on here aren't more aware of Oust. I skated a set years ago and they're really fast. Would buy again if they were more available where I live.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2023, 10:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Quantum are the best bearings I've tried in their price range. Weird how people keep knocking china made products as if the majority of things people use on a day to day basis arent made and assembled in some dingy factory in Asia.

blahblah999

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2023, 06:41:42 AM »
Weird how people keep knocking china made products as if the majority of things people use on a day to day basis arent made and assembled in some dingy factory in Asia.

Historically Chinese 608 bearings have been the lowest quality and the cheapest to buy from a supplier. RockNRon pulled back the curtain on that years ago. Most Chinese bearings back then cost less than 15 cents per unit to make. The cost would be more expensive today due to inflation and increased shipping costs but still cheaper than having bearings made anywhere else.

The primary reason people have stuff made in China is because of margins. In the retail world, the "brand", the distro, and the shop all need to make margins. People will be more motivated to carry and move your product if you increase margins. You will also make more money that way. If there is a ceiling on the price the consumer is willing to pay for a given product, given a variety of factors, the only way to maximize margins is to make the manufacturing costs cheaper.

Now, this is business school 101 so if all your competitors are doing the same thing, you need to come up with a good marketing plan and some fancy buzzwords in order to distinguish your product from the rest. In today's world, social media and "marketing that doesn't look like marketing" will play a big role. The average person is very susceptible to this stuff.

If you have stuff made in China, there is also a problem called "Quality Fade". There was even a book written about it. It doesn't matter what industry you are in, this will eventually come in to play. The factory, which the "brand" does not own, will gradually reduce the quality of the end product in a way they think the "brand" and the consumer will not notice.

In a previous career, I used to work with a bunch of manufacturers across different industries. All were based in the U.S., but some of these manufacturers would import raw materials or simple "widgets" from China to increase profits. One company found out their supplier was gradually shipping them more and more duds in each pallet of "widgets". They had to set up a dedicated QC room with employees to separate the duds from the "good ones". Duds would be thrown away or recycled for scrap. This was a supplier they had been using for years BTW.

Once an industry begins to experience downward pressure on pricing, additional costs like QC work will inevitably get cut. If your supplier sends too many duds, you could find another supplier, but it may take several months (minimum) to get a satisfactory product from the new supplier that meets your basic requirements and spec. Those other suppliers might be backed up on orders from other "brands" and might want to deal with existing customers before they deal with you. While all this is happening your "brand" is losing money and/or taking a reputation hit. Ever wonder why so many "brands" come and go?

As for "everything is made in China now so don't complain" argument - that is wrong. There are still many things made elsewhere. Some of us have also made conscious decisions to buy less things made in China for a variety of reasons. At the end up of the day, it's up to the individual to decide how to spend their money.

blahblah999

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2023, 06:49:18 AM »

I'd rather hear it from the company themselves. The FTC regulates "made in USA" claims on products. It's possible they don't meet the current standards, so they don't openly advertise it on the product itself.

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/complying-made-usa-standard

Nowadays a lot of companies can only claim "assembled in the USA of foreign and domestic materials" and so on.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2023, 07:17:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Weird how people keep knocking china made products as if the majority of things people use on a day to day basis arent made and assembled in some dingy factory in Asia.
[close]
snip

not reading all of this but good luck with whatever it is you're trying to prove in this thread

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2023, 07:35:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
snip
[close]

not reading all of this but good luck with whatever it is you're trying to prove in this thread

The truth sucks, but there’s no point in ignoring it. Also, it’s going to get a lot worse soon.

Buy some Quantums while you can.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2023, 10:00:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd rather hear it from the company themselves. The FTC regulates "made in USA" claims on products. It's possible they don't meet the current standards, so they don't openly advertise it on the product itself.

Nowadays a lot of companies can only claim "assembled in the USA of foreign and domestic materials" and so on.

It's also incredibly common for the people interfacing with the skate world to have no fucking clue where their products are actually made. You'll constantly see board companies listing generator decks as made in the USA because the office is in CA. I would not at all be surprised if the kid answering support emails has no fucking clue and is just telling people what he thinks they want to hear to try and increase sales.

Just as a matter of logistics I would say that it's almost a given that any bearing under $50 that isn't coming basically directly from a major manufacturer like SKF or NMB is Chinese made.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2023, 10:51:08 PM »
Site looks sketchy. No information on their website regarding the bearing itself. Are signature models $7 better?

Daewons front truck

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2023, 01:47:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

[/quot

They don't bullshit with the whole distribution in US thing, they literally say made in the USA. It doesn't say "conceived in the US" or "imagined in the USA" or "designed in the USA" or any other bullshit most skate companies come up with to lie to you about where their products are made. However, I am very happy to see you asking these questions. Most skaters don't care or know about the products they use everyday. It's important to not take things at face value and do research. The skate industry is certainly  not immune to  false advertising and misdirection.  Also someone had said that he was surprised most skate nerds don't know about Oust. I believe the reason is two sided. One, Oust is marketed towards the downhill and slalom skateboarding community that most skaters are ignorant of. Two, skaters are stubborn as fuck. People will stick to their same bones reds and whatever else is trendy and never try new products, in turn killing off many great companies that create fantastic products. This is something I would like to see change in skateboarding, but I don't see that happening.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2023, 02:10:34 PM »
I bet if you saw any of those guys setup you would see bones in those wheels

blahblah999

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2023, 02:20:18 PM »

They don't bullshit with the whole distribution in US thing, they literally say made in the USA. It doesn't say "conceived in the US" or "imagined in the USA" or "designed in the USA" or any other bullshit most skate companies come up with to lie to you about where their products are made. However, I am very happy to see you asking these questions. Most skaters don't care or know about the products they use everyday. It's important to not take things at face value and do research. The skate industry is certainly  not immune to  false advertising and misdirection.  Also someone had said that he was surprised most skate nerds don't know about Oust. I believe the reason is two sided. One, Oust is marketed towards the downhill and slalom skateboarding community that most skaters are ignorant of. Two, skaters are stubborn as fuck. People will stick to their same bones reds and whatever else is trendy and never try new products, in turn killing off many great companies that create fantastic products. This is something I would like to see change in skateboarding, but I don't see that happening.

I contacted Oust on social media and through their site. If they do eventually respond and give me a credible answer, I will say so.

I personally DNGAF if the bearings are marketed towards downhill/slalom. If they are truly good bearings and not another cheapo Chinese bearing in fancy packaging, I would like to know more about them.

I agree that skaters are stubborn. I see the same thing in other hobbies as well. I do try new or "new to me" products on occasion but tend to stay away from stuff that's marketing-driven or looks off.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2023, 04:37:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

To be fair, it's much safer financially to stick with what works instead of trying out new brands that may not be worth the money. We see this with brands like Lurpiv and Last Resort.

blahblah999

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2023, 05:34:06 PM »

To be fair, it's much safer financially to stick with what works instead of trying out new brands that may not be worth the money. We see this with brands like Lurpiv and Last Resort.

There's a difference between trying something new and trying version 1.0 of a product. I rarely try version 1.0 of anything. With any new product IME (doesn't matter what industry), it's usually better to wait until the kinks are ironed out first.

I can't comment too much on LR. I will not be trying any of their current product because those shoes look like they have about as much support as a pair of old Chuck Taylors. No thanks, not for me. When they make some more structured shoes I might have a look.

RE: Lurpiv the product looked like it needed more testing and wasn't ready for prime time. Hopefully they fare better in the future.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2023, 07:25:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I contacted Oust on social media and through their site. If they do eventually respond and give me a credible answer, I will say so.

I personally DNGAF if the bearings are marketed towards downhill/slalom. If they are truly good bearings and not another cheapo Chinese bearing in fancy packaging, I would like to know more about them.

I agree that skaters are stubborn. I see the same thing in other hobbies as well. I do try new or "new to me" products on occasion but tend to stay away from stuff that's marketing-driven or looks off.

A local distro brought in Oust bearings back in the early 2000s and I had a set or three, still have at least one set of them somewhere too, along with what seemed like a unique shaped plastic container that just has a set of their rubber shields left in it, maybe from someone else, that I found when getting out stuff not too long ago.

They worked well and I had no issues, but when that distro went out of business, I never really saw them again locally.

They only just started posting a few months ago on Instagram when I just looked them up, with a few posts of bearings, their lube and products.

https://www.instagram.com/oustbearings/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Daewons front truck

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2023, 05:20:06 PM »
I bet if you saw any of those guys setup you would see bones in those wheels

Not from what I see, I don't participate in that style of skateboarding but I'm close enough to the semi local scene and I could tell you what ive seen personally. Someone I grew up with and stayed in touch with through the years participates in downhill competitively. Approximately 40% use swiss or other bones bearings it's a lot granted but not "all those guys" like you claim. Oust is still small but has a cult following with some of the guys somewhere like 20 or 25%. Modus Ceramic and Quantum bearings probably has another 20% (personally haven't tried these yet but they are pretty popular.) The rest in the area use products that I'm not knowledgeable about. Keep in mind that this is just the limited number I've spoken to. You say that like I'm talking shit about bones lol. Buddy, I was just using them as an example because they are the biggest brand in the industry. Bones are good, I have reds in my transition setup at this very second! I was just speaking to the tendency of skateboarders unwillingness to try different products. Thank you, by the way because you proved my point marvelously!! I'm sure George Powell sleeps sound at night knowing he has people like you protecting the integrity of the brand from heretics like me!! Anyways, as someone else mentioned above trying volume 1 of a product can be risky. I have yet to try Lurpiv, mainly because of the price. Paying $85 for a pair of trucks doesn't make much sense in the moment when you are married with kids and a mortgage.