Author Topic: Cheap trucks  (Read 2532 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Cheap trucks
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2023, 09:10:03 PM »
https://sopdistribution.com/collections/trucks/products/blacksmith-low-raw-polished

I got these on a whim during a sale but haven't set them up yet, and low trucks above 8.0 were hard to find prior to Ace AF1 Low. These are 1.75" (44.45mm) which are even lower than Tensor Lows (46mm).

Show us on the doll where the bad man touched you....

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2023, 09:41:30 PM »
Just to back up others points, you can find name brand trucks being blown out all the time so you don't have to commit to months of misery if you're trying to save some bucks. The big hook up is Zumiez sales online. They routinely blow out standard Ventures, Aces and usually the goony Thunder colorways at $30ish a pair with free shipping. Maybe snag some Mini-Logos for now and keep your eye out for those deals.

Just to be clear i'm not even in the market for new trucks right now, I have a couple of sets of second hand indys to go through before i buy a new pair. I'm just curious, especially since so many of them look like fake indys and i don't imagine that skate truck manufacturing is so complicated that indy is really going to be that far above industrial or whatever. I'd like to see for myself one day.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2023, 09:45:41 PM »
Also anyone clowning on this thread is a muppet

'omg i can't believe you would not buy from core brand A that produces it's shit in the same chinese factory as non-core brand B but marks up the price by $20'

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2023, 10:25:16 PM »
Expand Quote
https://sopdistribution.com/collections/trucks/products/blacksmith-low-raw-polished

I got these on a whim during a sale but haven't set them up yet, and low trucks above 8.0 were hard to find prior to Ace AF1 Low. These are 1.75" (44.45mm) which are even lower than Tensor Lows (46mm).
[close]

Show us on the doll where the bad man touched you....

It was around the yoke area that sits into the pivot cup... Told me a little lube there stops it from squealing...
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2023, 11:48:09 PM »

'omg i can't believe you would not buy from core brand A that produces it's shit in the same chinese factory as non-core brand B but marks up the price by $20'

Venture and Thunder are made right here in the good 'ol US of A partner

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2023, 12:17:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Venture and Thunder are made right here in the good 'ol US of A partner

*most thunder and venture are USA made

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2023, 01:20:04 AM »
isnt made in USA kinda synonymous with assembled in USA these days?

kinda like how food in my local store can say product of Australia while using fruit from overseas or some shit.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2023, 02:26:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Got some CCS trucks when I got into skateboarding last year and they’re okay. But the jump in quality between them and a truck $25 more expensive is HUGE. So only kids and total newcomers should buy them. Anyone who cares enough to join Slap is already too far gone and should know better 😂

Sure someone in the gear madness thread would gladly give you a pair of quality trucks for free lol
[close]

I'm not surprised the ccs house brand sucks. I used to get their clothes and boards when I was a teenager and they sucked too.

They're literally just bullets with a ccs stamp.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2023, 02:30:08 AM »

those shits look like they have negative kingpin clearance. the trucks on old darkstar completes were like that
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2023, 02:52:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

those shits look like they have negative kingpin clearance. the trucks on old darkstar completes were like that

I've got a pair of those too, the kingpin does indeed stick out over the hanger. Apart from this huge drawback they're perfectly fine trucks. I've got them on my car setup to bust out for unexpected flatground sessions, and they work great for that, but I've never done a single grind on them.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2023, 03:45:14 AM »
Here's another contribution... Ruckus lows. I wanna say they're 49mm but I don't honestly remember. Aside from similarly awful kp clearance, they have tensor-esque plastic-y bushings and turn so poorly you'll be longing for krux k5s.

I also posted a thread in classifieds a while back with some of my weird/cheap trucks and other oddball gear (like an 8.25 x 31 shaped deck from Watson lam).

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 456
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2023, 04:10:19 AM »

Just because something comes from the same factory doesn’t mean it’s made with the same quality materials. It’s not a one for one, stamp a different name on it type of thing. The price is marked up to cover the cost of materials. Most of the time the price point items are marked up at a higher margin than the regular priced truck. It’s called a loss leader. In the end though, cheap trucks = even cheaper metal.
Also, I wasn’t “clowning “ your thread, I offered an educated example for why I personally wouldn’t ride off brand trucks.

Life’s too short to ride cheap metal.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 04:49:27 AM by Richard Skidder »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2023, 05:28:25 AM »
Not as cheap as mini logos are here in europe, but polster trucks deserve to be mentioned. I'd say they're the cheapest ultrahigh quality trucks (made in germany). They look and turn like thunders, but have a wb closer to venture.

The polster titaniums cost as much as standard thunders. And they're amazing. Even lighter than titanium thunders.

Edit: I don't actually know if they're still made in germany. It doesn't say that anywhere on the website. I can only say they look and function exactly the same as they always did.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 05:58:59 AM by goodatmeth »

IpathCats

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2023, 06:44:19 AM »
Just to back up others points, you can find name brand trucks being blown out all the time so you don't have to commit to months of misery if you're trying to save some bucks. The big hook up is Zumiez sales online. They routinely blow out standard Ventures, Aces and usually the goony Thunder colorways at $30ish a pair with free shipping. Maybe snag some Mini-Logos for now and keep your eye out for those deals.

Fuck Zumiez, they dont even sponsor skateboarders. If you HAVE to buy from a big retailer at least try to make it one that actually sponsors skaters. CCS and Skatewarehouse. Always try an actual shop first, it usually takes more effort but often times you can find similar deals from legit shops. At the very least check cowtown and SPOT first.

You're a clown if you think any of these trucks aside from mini logos are halfway decent. Get real dude.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2023, 06:53:51 AM »

Excellent clearance AND a rocker...

IpathCats

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2023, 06:57:03 AM »

what a waste of resources

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2023, 07:20:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The rocker prevents you from grinding on the kingpin, genius by design

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/metal-silver-hollow-5-5-skateboard-trucks

I skated these while on holiday in Australia, $25 for a holiday complete. Not horrible, turned like a Venture.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2023, 09:29:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The rocker prevents you from grinding on the kingpin, genius by design

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/metal-silver-hollow-5-5-skateboard-trucks

I skated these while on holiday in Australia, $25 for a holiday complete. Not horrible, turned like a Venture.

Ventures have a pretty horrible turn lol

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2023, 09:40:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck Zumiez, they dont even sponsor skateboarders. If you HAVE to buy from a big retailer at least try to make it one that actually sponsors skaters. CCS and Skatewarehouse. Always try an actual shop first, it usually takes more effort but often times you can find similar deals from legit shops. At the very least check cowtown and SPOT first.

Expand Quote

[close]

You're a clown if you think any of these trucks aside from mini logos are halfway decent. Get real dude.

I'll get real.

You can 100% find off brands or clones that perform almost identically to the name brand trucks. It's not rocket surgery, they're using off the shelf alloys and with modern modeling and casting tech you can easily "steal" any design or geometry you want if that's your thing. As far as qc/quality.. There's  plenty of solid trucks that come out of the same foundries and factories (theeve, destructo, gk, film etc), so much like wood and wheels you're mostly paying for a brand name/reputation.

... And that's fine. Those trucks that command a premium invested in R&D and all the marketing and sponsorship to build that reputation. Theres absolutely a reason they command a higher price, it's just usually not that they're objectively higher quality than lower priced ones.

I've skated basically every major truck and a sizable part of the obscure ones from the past 20 years. There's plenty of solid cheap trucks out there, but you just don't see them that much and most people are like you and have made a false equivalency between price and quality so they never try them. To put it another way, if I launched the Ace classic today at the $40 price point but didn't have an industry insider behind it, a killer team, and an ad campaign then you probably wouldn't buy it and assume it sucked.

There's absolutely plenty of garbage cheap and no name trucks, but there's good ones (beyond mini logos) as well and you're being naive if you think otherwise. Wasn't this place absolutely losing its collective mind over how great Royals are a few months ago?

IpathCats

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2023, 09:47:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'll get real.

You can 100% find off brands or clones that perform almost identically to the name brand trucks. It's not rocket surgery, they're using off the shelf alloys and with modern modeling and casting tech you can easily "steal" any design or geometry you want if that's your thing. As far as qc/quality.. There's  plenty of solid trucks that come out of the same foundries and factories (theeve, destructo, gk, film etc), so much like wood and wheels you're mostly paying for a brand name/reputation.

... And that's fine. Those trucks that command a premium invested in R&D and all the marketing and sponsorship to build that reputation. Theres absolutely a reason they command a higher price, it's just usually not that they're objectively higher quality than lower priced ones.

I've skated basically every major truck and a sizable part of the obscure ones from the past 20 years. There's plenty of solid cheap trucks out there, but you just don't see them that much and most people are like you and have made a false equivalency between price and quality so they never try them. To put it another way, if I launched the Ace classic today at the $40 price point but didn't have an industry insider behind it, a killer team, and an ad campaign then you probably wouldn't buy it and assume it sucked.

There's absolutely plenty of garbage cheap and no name trucks, but there's good ones (beyond mini logos) as well and you're being naive if you think otherwise. Wasn't this place absolutely losing its collective mind over how great Royals are a few months ago?

I was going to bring up R&D but you beat me to it, that's def an important difference.

And as far as royal goes, they may not be one of the big 4 but they have a long history and WAY more R&D when compared to these other brands.

Also, grind kings suck lol.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2023, 08:31:59 AM »
I wanted to bump this thread to say that since riding a pair of independent trucks again, I can say that Bullet trucks are actually very inferior. This might come as a shock to you guys. I'd somehow forgotten what it was like to ride indys so my judgement was clouded. Sorry to anyone who might have gone out and bought bullet trucks because of this thread.

IpathCats

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2023, 10:41:48 AM »
I wanted to bump this thread to say that since riding a pair of independent trucks again, I can say that Bullet trucks are actually very inferior. This might come as a shock to you guys. I'd somehow forgotten what it was like to ride indys so my judgement was clouded. Sorry to anyone who might have gone out and bought bullet trucks because of this thread.

Trust me, this might be the farthest from "shocking" that something could actually be.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2023, 11:01:29 AM »
At least you admitted your mistake.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2023, 11:12:14 AM »
isnt made in USA kinda synonymous with assembled in USA these days?

kinda like how food in my local store can say product of Australia while using fruit from overseas or some shit.

nah cause if you lie you could get sued

This is from the FTC

Under the FTC's Enforcement Policy Statement on U.S. Origin Claims, a marketer can only make an unqualified claim that a product is of U.S. origin if such product is “all or virtually all made in the United States.” Federal Trade Commission, “Made in USA” and Other U.S. Origin Claims, 62 Fed

What are the penalties for Made in USA?

"The new rule codifies a broader range of remedies by the FTC, including the ability to seek redress, damages, penalties, and other relief from those who lie about a Made in USA label. It will enable the Commission for the first time to seek civil penalties of up to $43,280 per violation of the rule"