Author Topic: John Rattray : ‘Why so sad?’  (Read 1829 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
John Rattray : ‘Why so sad?’
« on: January 21, 2023, 09:23:22 PM »
I’ve never been bananas about the name because it seems sort of dismissive and simplistic ….but this vid really spent time breaking things down which I enjoyed….

https://youtu.be/U1FaU9fBj9c

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
Re: John Rattray : ‘Why so sad?’
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 10:53:10 PM »
Thank you for posting this. Some of it really hit me hard.

I suppose subconsciously this is why I started skateboarding again even though I never knew any of this stuff before. I just knew that it helped somehow. If only it didn't rain here 75% of the year...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 09:54:51 AM »
If you ever come to the big city and need some parking garage recommendations….I got you…

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 07:22:06 AM »
You're good people. I still remember 20 years ago when I was active on here you were encouraging my shitty b/w photography of the local hometown hero and my friend Tom Rowe. Of course, he kooked, and injured himself out of the scene but that's beside the point.

It really bums me out though that I'm the only person to respond or show any interest in this thread which I viewed as a very important and relevant topic.

Mallie

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 08:08:33 AM »
Yeah, I mean, it is kinda lame that this is going under the radar as much as it is, but I don't know what to say, honestly.

I'm 35 and I've been suffering from clinical depression (and some minor/usual add-ons like anxiety, panic attacks, obsessive thought, intrusive thoughts etc) pretty much half of my life. Been diagnosed somewhere around the last year of college/uni, been suffering from it at least since my mid-teens and looking back - there were tell-tale signs of that shit even in my childhood (lack of coping mechanisms, overthinking, obsessive thoughts, panic, anxiety, emotionally constipated, cold and distant parents etc.).

As far as the depression goes, I've been through it all. From heavy bouts where I can't get out of the bed, to periods where I need to give a 100% of my mental strength and willpower just to "get out of bed-go to work-have a drink-fall asleep", then through periods when my brain is racing (not necessarily with bad thoughts, even) so bad that I have to get drunk just to fall asleep, to suicidal thoughts and even periods of being fine.

And I don't know what to say to this video, really. Yeah, it's all true. But I've run the entire gamut, from therapy, to meds, self-medicating, meditation, sports...you name it. And I guess I'm doing as well as I can. I got a somewhat prestigious degree, have a high-ranking and responsible job, am generally well-liked, been with the same girl for over a decade and she seems to actually like me...I know all the ins and outs of brains inner workings (especially since my SO is a doctor), just like it was explained in the clip. And I'm still "sad" more often than not. Don't think it'll ever change, really. Some of us are wired differently, and as much as it is a "psychiatric diagnosis", it's not something that you can cure or keep under control. Much like breaking your leg so bad that it will heal but you won't be able to run or play sports anymore, even walk without a limp. It's something that you don't cure or keep under control, but rather learn to live with or work around it as much as possible. In the end, it's that same age old adage - it's not how many times you fall blah blah blah, but it all boils down to it. If you're doing everything right, you might even get desentisized enough to just shrug and enter the cycle once more, without thinking "oh, for the love of god, once again???".

That's why I sometimes get irritated with videos like this. You can't always rationalize it and solve it that way. If you have an honest to god panic or depressive episode, no amount of anticipating and trying to recognize it and think it away will help.

On the other hand - that's just my personal experience and momentary bitterness. What I actually DO think, in general, is that it's so fucking important to make this shit public, to talk about it.

I've always done it and been upfront about it, even to my own detriment. The number of people that are suffering from mental ailments is ridiculously bigger than most of people could even imagine. And in light of that - these types of clips might help someone. It may at least make them aware of mental health issues, wether their own or of others around them. Might not "cure" them, but at least they might move them in the right direction.

I agree, everyone and their mum are screaming "neurodivergence" and "mental issues" nowadays and I can see how that might seem "weak", "soft" or "oversensitive" and be too much for the general population, but it's just the way it goes. Just like with women's rights, systemic racism, LGBTQ+ acceptance or myriad of other social injustices - it has to be too much, it has to be smeared in your face when it's been kept under the lid for so long. In time, it'll all balance out, but for now it has to be everywhere so that in time it will be common knowledge and something that would not be a taboo anymore.

Plus, they couldn't have gotten a better "spokesperson". He might not be that popular and have the same reach some super-celebrity-skater might have, but Rattray is a great guy, well-read, well-spoken and able to articulate and relay all of the important things.

Anyway, I just wanted to echo Dan's sentiment and bump the topic up. All the shit in between is just me ranting and venting out.
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 10:21:40 AM »
You're good people. I still remember 20 years ago when I was active on here you were encouraging my shitty b/w photography of the local hometown hero and my friend Tom Rowe. Of course, he kooked, and injured himself out of the scene but that's beside the point.

It really bums me out though that I'm the only person to respond or show any interest in this thread which I viewed as a very important and relevant topic.

I watched it and then thanked Rattray for it after. So thank you for posting. I work with traumatized youth and like most of us I've struggled and had family members struggle (my brother killed himself with booze and opiates).

There was no new info in this for me (I take a lot of trainings in suicide prevention and Trauma Informed Care) but the presentation was great and can only help further understanding. Years ago, I documented my own struggle in a zine and that was really part of the healing process for me but its ongoing. Through the pandemic my teenage daughter struggled with self-harm, eating disorder, SI and one attempt. Its a long fucking journey and I'll probably end this post right here.

All to say, thanks for posting and initiating this dialogue. I'm sure a lot more people read and watched it but are no sure how to respond in a meaningful way.

D10S

• Rep: -51
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 05:57:21 PM »
so good. we need more vids like this

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 11:08:31 PM »
Yeah, I enjoyed the language used…..a lot of it was new to me because I’m used to how skating usually tackles mental health by using terms like….’he had demons…….’ 

It was pretty simplistic nonetheless but I can even see how people are diagnosed but never talk to anyone about it.. hearing it in skating is a good thing.  Pain is pain though and it did sort of have the air off, ‘Just skate! It’ll be fine’!