Author Topic: RIP Jed Walters  (Read 11770 times)

Marv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 75
RIP Jed Walters
« on: January 22, 2023, 11:20:51 AM »
Strangelove Skateboards Instagram account just posted the news. RIP Jed.

https://youtu.be/Kdu-dkshgFs

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
Re: RIP Jed Walters
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 11:28:28 AM »
Sad news. RIP

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 11:31:37 AM »
RIP Jed

Marv

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 11:33:21 AM »
https://www.muckmouth.com/jed.html

“Jed Walters entered the skateboard world with a bang, then just as quickly as he'd appeared, he was gone, leaving skaters worldwide scratching their heads. With a single but stand-out part in one of the most important videos of the early 90s, World Industries seminal 1992 offering - Love Child, Jed came out of nowhere, switch 360flipped his way into skate history, then vanished.”

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 11:50:14 AM »
R.I.P to a real 1 Jed Walters, switch Tre pioneer.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 11:52:19 AM »
It was so crazy when his part came out. No one knew who he was before. Then he dipped. RIP

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 11:53:33 AM »
could only have been about 50 I reckon

Marv

Willy Santos cut my hair

• Rep: 390
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 12:29:34 PM »
amazing interview
this was touching, like something from Catcher in The Rye
Quote from: Jed Walters
don’t know if it was the weather or what, but everything just seemed so beautiful. Just the most quiet, serene night… right in the middle of LA. Henry Sanchez was with us and he was out of his mind, going so fast. He had this insane energy about him. I can’t remember all the names of the tricks now, but I still remember him doing these long backside tailslides on this marble ledge out over some stairs. Something about how he pushed that night in the quiet of it all… skateboarding is a beautiful thing.

RIP Jed

Kerry “GRIND” King

• Rep: 16
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 12:51:03 PM »
RIP ❤️

borats cat

• Rep: -20
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 01:04:02 PM »
he's so hard on himself in that interview. dude sounds really likeable or you want to root for him. how's that saying go? you can tell a lot about a person by how he treats earl parker.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 01:43:17 PM »
Fuck man RIP. Condolences to friends and family.

zuma

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 02:40:05 PM »
very sad! r i p

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 02:54:04 PM »
RIP to a true OG legend. Came and went in a flash but him impact is forever. One of the few stylish skaters in the era of slop.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 03:36:27 PM »
RIP
This is a major bummer.  Condolences to his family and friends. Seemed like such a good, humble man through secondhand accounts and that interview.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 03:38:45 PM »
Rip to the only pro to ever come out of South Dakota. 

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 03:53:22 PM »
RIP Jed . That kickflip pop will forever be etched in my brain

Grant Patronik

• Rep: 16
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 04:00:43 PM »
Rip to the only pro to ever come out of South Dakota.

This. I moved to SD in 2010 and lived there for 4 years, skating is pretty nonexistent even in the bigger cities. Crazy that he was that good that long ago coming out of that environment.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2023, 04:12:09 PM »

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2023, 04:28:48 PM »
RIP Jed . That kickflip pop will forever be etched in my brain

Fuck yes! That was love child? I always wanted mine to be like that. Just watched the raw you posted and damn. His feet almost never left the board. The last one sucked it up soooo good. RIP to a legend for real.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 05:03:52 PM by Natas Fauxas »

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2023, 06:14:44 PM »
Rest in Paradise

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2023, 08:03:07 PM »
A truly gifted skater. A real loss.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2023, 08:05:30 PM »

Marv

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2023, 08:33:39 PM »
So you’ve said that Rodney asked you to go pro shortly after Love Child, mandating three tricks in order for you to do so. How serious was this?

Jed: Oh, it was totally serious. Rodney called me into his office one day like, “Hey Jed, if we see these three tricks from you, we’ll turn you pro.” One was on the Wilshire rail and was actually something that I wanted to do, like a 50-50 down it. Honestly, I’d already spoken to Guy about it, which I’m not sure if he told them or what, but the other two tricks weren’t even that big of a deal. I probably could’ve done them. The problem was the way in which it was presented actually made me sick to my stomach. Do this for that. Oh my gosh, really!?! I suddenly felt like a circus animal or something… a dog jumping through hoops for treats. That’s when everything came to a head for me at that moment. I had started to have some doubts about skateboarding for the last year or so, falling out of love with it all, but this really sealed the deal. After that, I was done, because I couldn’t get it out of my mind. Is this who I had become? This pursuit of vanity?

Offered by Rodney to turn pro for World if he got 3 specific tricks filmed. Wasn’t comfortable with conditions so he left & basically disappeared from skating. I thought Jed had great potential and it would’ve been cool to see him turn pro and where his skating would go.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 09:49:48 PM »
Expand Quote
So you’ve said that Rodney asked you to go pro shortly after Love Child, mandating three tricks in order for you to do so. How serious was this?

Jed: Oh, it was totally serious. Rodney called me into his office one day like, “Hey Jed, if we see these three tricks from you, we’ll turn you pro.” One was on the Wilshire rail and was actually something that I wanted to do, like a 50-50 down it. Honestly, I’d already spoken to Guy about it, which I’m not sure if he told them or what, but the other two tricks weren’t even that big of a deal. I probably could’ve done them. The problem was the way in which it was presented actually made me sick to my stomach. Do this for that. Oh my gosh, really!?! I suddenly felt like a circus animal or something… a dog jumping through hoops for treats. That’s when everything came to a head for me at that moment. I had started to have some doubts about skateboarding for the last year or so, falling out of love with it all, but this really sealed the deal. After that, I was done, because I couldn’t get it out of my mind. Is this who I had become? This pursuit of vanity?
[close]

Offered by Rodney to turn pro for World if he got 3 specific tricks filmed. Wasn’t comfortable with conditions so he left & basically disappeared from skating. I thought Jed had great potential and it would’ve been cool to see him turn pro and where his skating would go.

Wilshire rail is the one Guy noseslides at the beginning of Pack of Lies.  You can see Jed after he lands it.

Marv

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2023, 12:05:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wilshire rail is the one Guy noseslides at the beginning of Pack of Lies.  You can see Jed after he lands it.

Totally. Matt Shnurr  just said on Instagram that he hung out with Jed at Mariano’s mom’s house every day back then and said Jed was one of the nicest people he’s ever known. I think he said it on Muckmouth Instagram post.

shotvx

• Rep: 4
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2023, 01:48:14 AM »
Rip Jed Walters. He was a legend. Everybody knew back then he deserved to be pro. At leats strangelove did a bit of Justice with his guest model. First sw treflips i remember.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2023, 02:36:46 AM »
Fuck! His part in love child stood out even though he was an unknown when it dropped… I’ve watched it literally 100s of times over the years, it’s literally burnt into my brain
RIP

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2023, 02:44:02 AM »
 :(  Rest in peace

Marv

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2023, 03:05:29 AM »
Rip Jed Walters. He was a legend. Everybody knew back then he deserved to be pro. At leats strangelove did a bit of Justice with his guest model. First sw treflips i remember.

Heck yeah! It’s great to see all this love for Jed, especially as someone said earlier in this thread, he seemed so down on himself in interviews. Much respect to you Jed!