Author Topic: Nine Club having hard times getting decent guests  (Read 10759 times)

Crusty Grundle

Re: Nine Club having hard times getting decent guests
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2023, 10:06:49 AM »
I don't see any big issues with the Nine Club... you can't please everybody. C'mon, it's just a podcast with skaters talking on the general subject of skating, pros, industry and etc. I don't see any reason for the hosts to ask "the hard questions" or create any drama. Just enjoy it for what it is or pass on it, geez

KGB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2023, 10:08:15 AM »
Also I think some skaters just don't like being in front of a camera. Every time I see the behind the scenes, I realize how much production is put into this. Even I'd be kind of weirded out on how I talk with that many cameras rolling.

They don’t fly people out, the guest need to be already in the area and willing to take the time to go on the show. Which most pros will only have so much time to film or whatever and don’t really keep to schedules well. Plus a lot of people just don’t want to be interviewed.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2023, 10:16:30 AM »
I don't see any big issues with the Nine Club... you can't please everybody. C'mon, it's just a podcast with skaters talking on the general subject of skating, pros, industry and etc. I don't see any reason for the hosts to ask "the hard questions" or create any drama. Just enjoy it for what it is or pass on it, geez

I think you’re thinking of “ripride with Andy Roy”

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2023, 10:37:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Perhaps Nora putting them  on blast is starting to have repercussions?
[close]

what did she say ??
[close]

You guys won’t show number 12465 of my kickflip bs desaster?you suck!
Probably something like that or something else totally annoying,cause she’s totally annoying! ::)
[close]

Or something actually decent, like calling them out over the O-Blow Gator shit and asking them to remove her interview..
[close]

I don’t really think people would use this as a reason.
Especially in an industry that loves to cover up things.
Maybe im wrong tho.
I think all interesting people (except for a few) were already on and don’t want to make a second show, because they already told everything interesting in the first one.the nine club is a show with an expiry date.
[close]

You are wrong. idk why you type so much when you dont know what the fuck you're talking about lmao
[close]
So tell us the truth
[close]

Hey Marty, why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

This is fantastic and the fact that the intended target didn't get it is even mo fantastic.

Lhotse’s Pit of Death

• Rep: -380
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2023, 10:43:29 AM »
There’s almost nobody left to interview that would actually want to be on it. Jason Lee and Dill for ex, both repeatedly said ‘no way; they would never’ when the hosts brought up wanting to interview the Gonz and AVE during their respective episodes. There are many personalities in skating that would either just not have the desire to do a traditional pod cast with the nice guys from Crailtap, and or have the belief that doing so would water down their image of being core or inaccessible to the mainstream media. Besides the examples I’ve given there are many skaters in posts here that people have mentioned who have not been on the show and prob never will bc they share that same mentality. At the end of the day- the guys on the show are nice and a couple are even on the level skillwise of some of people they interview (Jeron) but they are part of the ‘mainstream’ skate media now. So we will continue to get guests who do not have such issues- those guests tend to be older skaters and industry people which usually makes for a boring listen.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2023, 11:00:02 AM »
There’s almost nobody left to interview that would actually want to be on it.
So true . NineClub really blew it . Their arrogance & target audience small potatoes . When they first starting coming up they could have got anybody now worse than Taco Bell leftovers. Rocco too good & cool for the NineClub. Wish he would just release his own media again & autobiography . Likely won’t happen, be cool to see to hear him on the Bunt

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2023, 11:10:26 AM »
maybe I'm a weirdo but i like the random industry people interviews

those are the best ones. I wouldn't mind more skate photographers

I also have suggested Nate Greenwood multiple times. That dude has to have a story to tell, I remember being in high school hearing about him being on Stereo, and im 32 now. I guess for a lot of people it would be about a willingness to be open about personal stuff

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2023, 11:28:19 AM »
I’m guessing the experience is geared towards a younger audience and the nine club is geared for people who listen to podcasts…..middle aged white dudes……

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2023, 11:33:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So true . NineClub really blew it . Their arrogance & target audience small potatoes . When they first starting coming up they could have got anybody now worse than Taco Bell leftovers. Rocco too good & cool for the NineClub. Wish he would just release his own media again & autobiography . Likely won’t happen, be cool to see to hear him on the Bunt

Did those “bunt” guys stay in character like that all the time or just for the podcast?  I like that the nine club has no one like that “ya heard” guy.

thebacker

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2023, 11:41:57 AM »
damn thats crazy

bodegaboardercrew

• Rep: 4
    • Bodega Boarder Crew podcast avatar image
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2023, 11:57:39 AM »
I do a podcast myself and this is an issue most podcasters run into after they've done over 60-70 episodes. I don't think it's an issue of "legends" not wanting to do it I think it's more of a fact that they have already interviewed almost every big name they can get. There are only so many Lance Mountains, Jason Lees, and Paul Rodriguezes in the world. Lastly there are so many people in the skate and surf world who don't like being interviewed via video or voice recording yet do tons of other interviews for print. They have almost become a victim of how much success they had early on. That being said maybe there's some people who just won't fuck with them and that's life.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2023, 12:00:55 PM »
There’s like 1000 people that call themselves pro skaters at any given time, they’re not gonna run out of guests.  They probably get bored and want to mix it up from time to time.  Don’t see them going away any time soon. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2023, 12:02:44 PM »
They peaked incredibly hard with the Weck episode

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 35
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2023, 12:03:53 PM »
For me they don't get into the skating deep enough. I wanna hear foot placement discussions and whatnot. Sucks that Roger is the only one who's actually big enough of a skatenerd but he's treated like the hunchback of notre dame

thebacker

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2023, 12:11:09 PM »
yeah they're having a hard time getting me to listen too

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2023, 12:38:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Did those “bunt” guys stay in character like that all the time or just for the podcast?  I like that the nine club has no one like that “ya heard” guy.
I don’t care about those details. I like how they don’t shy away from controversy & ask the uncomfortable questions. Prefer spicy any day than vanilla

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2023, 12:44:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I don’t care about those details. I like how they don’t shy away from controversy & ask the uncomfortable questions.

Yeah I like the content, mostly anyway, it’s just so strange.  I guess everyone who skates knows a least one spicolli surfer guy who adopted a whole surf bro persona though, and that’s similarly disturbing.

thebacker

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2023, 12:50:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I don’t care about those details. I like how they don’t shy away from controversy & ask the uncomfortable questions.
[close]

Yeah I like the content, mostly anyway, it’s just so strange.  I guess everyone who skates knows a least one spicolli surfer guy who adopted a whole surf bro persona though, and that’s similarly disturbing.

they're just from toronto dude

lurkluke

• Rep: 165
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2023, 01:05:48 PM »
I've watched pretty regularly for a couple years, and I still don't know the difference between "Stop and Chat" episodes and regular interviews.

If your product is confusing for the audience, it's going to be confusing for potential guests. As someone mentioned above, getting people for a podcast is HARD work. Lots of people simply don't want to do it, or are too nervous to do it. People who would be amazing guests flat out refuse because they think they'll suck (I've produced a few podcasts for a number of years and it's a constant problem)

Best episodes are where they watch skate clips with person in the vid. Do they even still do that?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2023, 01:10:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

“Mississaugas most wanted” I get it

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2023, 01:14:27 PM »
They should do some Avreage Joe episodes. Just DM a SLAPPAL like men and ask one of us to grace their show with our presence.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2023, 01:20:17 PM »
They need to have Watson on

Or really break the internet and a “where are they now” with Brooklyn Brawler
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2023, 01:21:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I'm in the same age group as Cephas and Dono and from Toronto. They may play it up a bit when recording, but they def throw a ton of Toronto slang (which takes a ton from Jamaican slang) and talk like that when chatting with friends. Gotta remember these guys grew up in the peak of tall tees era. I def knew a ton of people who talked like that in high-school.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2023, 01:50:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Yeah, I'm in the same age group as Cephas and Dono and from Toronto. They may play it up a bit when recording, but they def throw a ton of Toronto slang (which takes a ton from Jamaican slang) and talk like that when chatting with friends. Gotta remember these guys grew up in the peak of tall tees era. I def knew a ton of people who talked like that in high-school.

Yeah I had no question that it was “in” in their HS peer group, just thought, I don’t know, growing up was a thing?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2023, 01:53:48 PM »
I've watched pretty regularly for a couple years, and I still don't know the difference between "Stop and Chat" episodes and regular interviews.

If your product is confusing for the audience, it's going to be confusing for potential guests. As someone mentioned above, getting people for a podcast is HARD work. Lots of people simply don't want to do it, or are too nervous to do it. People who would be amazing guests flat out refuse because they think they'll suck (I've produced a few podcasts for a number of years and it's a constant problem)

Best episodes are where they watch skate clips with person in the vid. Do they even still do that?

If you are a regular viewer and you are still confused that is on you. The constantly explain the main show is for new guests and stop and chat is for returning guests. Not a difficult concept.

Not_Bruce

• Rep: -53
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2023, 01:57:41 PM »
The skate community is so hard on each other. Nine Club is fine. The beagle interview was charming. The only problem with the show is how hard they try to stay away from anything that has conflict or discomfort.

With the exception of Roger calling out Jason Jesse for being a white supremacist , I can not recall any other Nine Club issue that has dealt with adult/serious issues.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2023, 02:32:19 PM »
Natas still lives around the corner. Figure it out
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2023, 02:34:10 PM »
Feels like all the people we really wanna see in a podcast are too core for the nine club at this point, especially after all the weirdos and non skaters they've had on recently.

Bunt had Tony T and Phelps on the show even if they did both act like they were too cool for it so there's still hope to see more of that crowd on the bunt I guess.

Mark G has an old interview where he says he hates talking about skateboarding because it takes the magic away from it, doubt we'll ever see him on any podcast. Doubt he would be able to hold a conversation for that long anyway.

Don't worry Mark has begun to start interviewing himself lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8JBuJpEeTo

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2023, 02:36:57 PM »
I would like to see Brian Lotti, Matt Hensley, Dan Peterka & Jason Rogers

lurkluke

• Rep: 165
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2023, 03:04:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you are a regular viewer and you are still confused that is on you. The constantly explain the main show is for new guests and stop and chat is for returning guests. Not a difficult concept.

oh ok. It's just the format is the same for both. That makes sense.

Sorry for not understanding it, I guess?