Author Topic: Nine Club having hard times getting decent guests  (Read 10775 times)

DISTANT RUMOURS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
Re: Nine Club having hard times getting decent guests
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2023, 03:10:21 PM »
They should get moet people from behind the scenes. Designers, photographers, artists so many people within the scene that have done great stuff besides the pro's.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2023, 03:10:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Feels like all the people we really wanna see in a podcast are too core for the nine club at this point, especially after all the weirdos and non skaters they've had on recently.

Bunt had Tony T and Phelps on the show even if they did both act like they were too cool for it so there's still hope to see more of that crowd on the bunt I guess.

Mark G has an old interview where he says he hates talking about skateboarding because it takes the magic away from it, doubt we'll ever see him on any podcast. Doubt he would be able to hold a conversation for that long anyway.
[close]

Don't worry Mark has begun to start interviewing himself lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8JBuJpEeTo

That's the best yet most absurd video i've watched in a while
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2023, 03:11:38 PM »
They should just alternate Mike Sinclair and Bill Weiss talking shit, those guys are pretty much the only funny guys in skateboarding.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2023, 03:12:18 PM »
They should just alternate Mike Sinclair and Bill Weiss talking shit, those guys are pretty much the only funny guys in skateboarding.

You haven't seen the Frank gerwer episode yet i'm assuming

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2023, 03:16:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I stand corrected. 

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2023, 03:23:06 PM »
Don’t think that they’ve had Burnett, but maybe he won’t go if he doesn’t get to pick the questions.  I assume a bunch of people like him won’t come if they’re gonna talk about the elephant in the room.
I am presuming the elephant you're referring to is the six figure salary.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2023, 03:27:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Don’t think that they’ve had Burnett, but maybe he won’t go if he doesn’t get to pick the questions.  I assume a bunch of people like him won’t come if they’re gonna talk about the elephant in the room.
[close]

The Burnett salary saga continues....

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2023, 03:28:37 PM »
How do we know phelps didn't also get a 6 figure salary? And how big of a 6 figure salary are we talking? 150k doesn't seem unfair to me

TheDingus

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2023, 03:41:28 PM »
How do we know phelps didn't also get a 6 figure salary? And how big of a 6 figure salary are we talking? 150k doesn't seem unfair to me

Any real gatekeeper would do it for the honor, not the money

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2023, 06:42:16 PM »
Expand Quote
maybe I'm a weirdo but i like the random industry people interviews
[close]

those are the best ones. I wouldn't mind more skate photographers

I also have suggested Nate Greenwood multiple times. That dude has to have a story to tell, I remember being in high school hearing about him being on Stereo, and im 32 now. I guess for a lot of people it would be about a willingness to be open about personal stuff

Give me Robert from Warehouse Operations and Lorine from Accounting, those are the stories I want.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2023, 07:29:59 PM »
They need me up there. I’ll shake this whole shit up

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2023, 10:28:03 PM »
I still can’t believe their eps are so long and that people watch the whole thing.   

Marv

• Rep: 75
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2023, 11:22:27 PM »
I’ve always hoped they’d get Steve Olson (90s Foundation & Shortys). I skated with him several times in 90/91 and he was so good and truly original.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2023, 11:53:26 PM »
They already have artists, designers, photographers etc. Has French Fred been on? Arto? It does seem like they're running dry on guests. I'd like to see more international guests but obviously they only get them if they're travelling through the area.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2023, 11:55:20 PM »
I’ve always hoped they’d get Steve Olson (90s Foundation & Shortys). I skated with him several times in 90/91 and he was so good and truly original.

Didn't pay too much attention to his career but I'm a fan after reading this story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFiZQu3vfO4

Steve Olsons ender in Guilty.  Hands down the craziest trick I've seen in person.  Not only the makes, but the misses.  He would tightrope walk down the rail every time he missed.  Not only that, he pretty much focused his back on the last kink of the rail.  He was down, we all thought he was possibly paralyzed.  Then, I shit you not, he puts his hands together in a prayer like motion, starts kind of moving around in a circle on the ground, pops up to his feet, waxes his board and lands it next try.  We were in total shock.  Later I asked him what exactly happened back there with the slam and he casually replies, "I just had to heal myself."  They don't call him the crazy monk for no reason....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2023, 12:01:06 AM »
I would watch every second of that episode. Steve Olson would blow Crob's milquetoast mind.

Bill Salt

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2023, 12:10:19 AM »
Agree!Main problem with those dudes is that they don't talk shit enough.That's what make skate podcast enjoyable to us mainly...It is also a too "L.A".

Marv

• Rep: 75
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2023, 12:10:30 AM »
Steve lived in a treehouse in his parents backyard in 1990. In Tacoma or somewhere nearby. Him and his friends would ride the bus to Olympia sometimes and skate with us. He was so good back then and totally unique. I heard he’s been living in Olympia recently.

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2023, 01:36:44 AM »
Nora played the nine club like a cat guitar.

I've only read the first page of this thread.

Ravi Shankar played the sitar.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

ralf_

• Rep: -32
  • yo
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2023, 01:37:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There’s almost nobody left to interview that would actually want to be on it.
[close]
So true . NineClub really blew it . Their arrogance & target audience small potatoes . When they first starting coming up they could have got anybody now worse than Taco Bell leftovers. Rocco too good & cool for the NineClub. Wish he would just release his own media again & autobiography . Likely won’t happen, be cool to see to hear him on the Bunt
[close]

Did those “bunt” guys stay in character like that all the time or just for the podcast?  I like that the nine club has no one like that “ya heard” guy.
[close]
I don’t care about those details. I like how they don’t shy away from controversy & ask the uncomfortable questions.
[close]

Yeah I like the content, mostly anyway, it’s just so strange.  I guess everyone who skates knows a least one spicolli surfer guy who adopted a whole surf bro persona though, and that’s similarly disturbing.
[close]

they're just from toronto dude
[close]
Yeah, I'm in the same age group as Cephas and Dono and from Toronto. They may play it up a bit when recording, but they def throw a ton of Toronto slang (which takes a ton from Jamaican slang) and talk like that when chatting with friends. Gotta remember these guys grew up in the peak of tall tees era. I def knew a ton of people who talked like that in high-school.
[close]

Yeah I had no question that it was “in” in their HS peer group, just thought, I don’t know, growing up was a thing?

pardon me sir, how do you talk to your associates?
fun fun fun

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2023, 02:31:26 AM »
For me they don't get into the skating deep enough. I wanna hear foot placement discussions and whatnot. Sucks that Roger is the only one who's actually big enough of a skatenerd but he's treated like the hunchback of notre dame
This would actually be sick, I listen to a lot of climbing podcasts and they're generally a lot more insightful because they nerd out about training, specific projects etc and it's not just "I'm from California and I started skating because my older brother skated then I got hooked up by the local shop blah blah blah"

I wanna know foot placement micro beta and how many millimetres you shave off your bushings

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2023, 03:18:07 AM »
Expand Quote
For me they don't get into the skating deep enough. I wanna hear foot placement discussions and whatnot. Sucks that Roger is the only one who's actually big enough of a skatenerd but he's treated like the hunchback of notre dame
[close]
This would actually be sick, I listen to a lot of climbing podcasts and they're generally a lot more insightful because they nerd out about training, specific projects etc and it's not just "I'm from California and I started skating because my older brother skated then I got hooked up by the local shop blah blah blah"

I wanna know foot placement micro beta and how many millimetres you shave off your bushings

who would they even get to talk about this kind of stuff tho? have you seen any of the board setup vides, the majority dont know fuck all about the shit they even skate or why other than just being sponsored and getting free shit

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2023, 03:32:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You should also add Omar Hassan to that list

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2023, 03:39:02 AM »
I would watch every second of that episode. Steve Olson would blow Crob's milquetoast mind.
[/b]

True statement. I saw him hanging out at a CCS demo in Portland a couple years ago. Looks exactly the same and super chill. Nora was there too hanging out, (just to make you guys jealous) lol

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2023, 03:43:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

who would they even get to talk about this kind of stuff tho? have you seen any of the board setup vides, the majority dont know fuck all about the shit they even skate or why other than just being sponsored and getting free shit
yeah that is part of the problem but there's definitely people out there who do nerd out on their setup, would love some in depth loose trucks chat but it's probably not within the scope of nine club really

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2023, 03:54:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what about ~100k(+) for being the editor of thrasher magazine (san francisco) is disturbing?
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2023, 04:37:30 AM »
They need to have Watson on

Or really break the internet and a “where are they now” with Brooklyn Brawler

Tracer live and in studio.  Or Gipper call in during lunch break.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 71
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2023, 04:37:51 AM »
I was thinking about this the other day when I saw an interview with a young rapper. A lot of these new kids are super awkward and don’t know how to talk to people, so I skip through a lot of episodes with newer pros. So I get why some would say no. You shouldn’t be getting interviewed on camera for two hours if you can barely form a coherent sentence lol

Also most of their come up stories aren’t that interesting. Lots of it boils down to, “I knew the right person and they put me on.” Like every other industry, skateboarding is mainly about who you know.

Not dissing anyone, or saying they don’t have talent, but it’s all about who you know.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2023, 05:23:10 AM »
From the outside I feel like they went into this all gung ho without the consideration of the fairly low ceiling this kind of thing has within the wider world. Podcasts that rely on guests only really work when you're not limited to one community, especially when that one community is skateboarders who are notoriously gatekeepers and standoffish to anyone from the outside trying to enter or get down with them. Also skateboarding isn't exactly showbiz or teaching, so the public speaking aspect of being on a hour long podcast about themselves is probably pretty daunting for a large number of pros.

Add to that a host who started it because he was burnt out on the actual act of very thing the podcast is about then unfortunately you get a shelf life. I don't think they're bad guys really, even with the controversies but to give it longevity they probably should have cut back on the number of episodes they were pumping out and instead they did the opposite.

Also being so closely affiliated with one of the biggest businesses in the industry definitely held them back in the long run, people want to hear their idols talk candidly in this industry, they're drawn in with hot takes and this was kind of a rarity - when there was one it was way too far and about a serious subject.

Kudos though, they did it on their terms - they didn't exactly change for anyone, no matter how much these boards told them to and I definitely enjoyed my fair share a few years ago.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2023, 05:54:02 AM »
Add to that a host who started it because he was burnt out on the actual act of very thing the podcast is about then unfortunately you get a shelf life. I don't think they're bad guys really, even with the controversies but to give it longevity they probably should have cut back on the number of episodes they were pumping out and instead they did the opposite.

Also being so closely affiliated with one of the biggest businesses in the industry definitely held them back in the long run, people want to hear their idols talk candidly in this industry, they're drawn in with hot takes and this was kind of a rarity - when there was one it was way too far and about a serious subject.

Either do fewer longer episodes and go deep with guests or do many shorter ones on topics of the day (new parts / gear / big team swaps). There's only so many times I can hear about how a pro came up because 90% of the time its going to be very similar. That's why the Dyrdek episode was so appealing - industry insider with a very captivating story of escaping the industry on his own terms.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m