Author Topic: Nine Club having hard times getting decent guests  (Read 10763 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Nine Club having hard times getting decent guests
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2023, 06:06:40 AM »
I’ve always hoped they’d get Steve Olson (90s Foundation & Shortys). I skated with him several times in 90/91 and he was so good and truly original.
Steve Olsen was the name of my imaginary friend before I started school.  He lived in a house in the bush behind our house.  Parents had to hold doors open for him, offer him food and shit. He was a sick cunt.  Peace out SO.

Mallie

• Rep: 32
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2023, 06:21:39 AM »
Steve Olsen was the name of my imaginary friend before I started school.  He lived in a house in the bush behind our house.  Parents had to hold doors open for him, offer him food and shit. He was a sick cunt.  Peace out SO.

That might have been the real SO, tho...
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2023, 06:34:01 AM »
Podcasts that rely on guests only really work when you're not limited to one community

not to mention they constantly say they only want people on the show 'when the timing in their career is right', like they don't want fresh bodies on there cause 'they dont have a story'. which, sure, makes sense on one hand but isn't that was Stop & Chats are for, to bring people back and talk about whats been going on...

they come up with a lot of BS reasonings for things to deflect from any criticism

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2023, 06:51:08 AM »
I’ve always hoped they’d get Steve Olson (90s Foundation & Shortys). I skated with him several times in 90/91 and he was so good and truly original.
Not quite Nice Club, but proof he does Pod.
https://youtu.be/pTwMxd24vEk

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2023, 07:00:50 AM »
Nine club guests are boring most of the time. I’m in my late 30s and I don’t wanna listen to a podcast with some of the old ass dudes they interview so I’m sure kids younger than me don’t either. Plus most of the big names have already been interviewed far better than what nine Club will do. I’d be more interested in them interviewing younger skaters even AMs. I mean fuck get all three of the three seasons dudes to come in and chop it up for a bit. Hype their video and breathe some life into their stale ass podcast.

I will find anyone that’s actively trying to make it in skateboarding am or new pro probably more interesting than most of the old pros resting on their laurels trying to pander some dumb card or some water machine or whatever dumb retirement plan they are trying to create for them selves.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2023, 07:16:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure this guy is doing it for me as a podcast guest, he doesn’t have the gift of gab that the nine club is looking for.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2023, 07:17:03 AM »
Didn't know about the Nora thing, maybe they had some other issues that rubbed her the wrong way cuz they shoulda been able to talk it out. I'm thinking that may have had an effect on them getting guest too, cuz I noticed it was a lot of Adidas riders for a while, I need to see how any it's been since that, did she cut them off? I always assumed the Adidas connection was minorly was on some payola type thing, that they were getting supplemented for covering those guys. Santa Cruz was a lot more open about financially supporting the show, and I noticed they did a lot of riders from there also.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2023, 08:09:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Podcasts that rely on guests only really work when you're not limited to one community
[close]

not to mention they constantly say they only want people on the show 'when the timing in their career is right', like they don't want fresh bodies on there cause 'they dont have a story'. which, sure, makes sense on one hand but isn't that was Stop & Chats are for, to bring people back and talk about whats been going on...

they come up with a lot of BS reasonings for things to deflect from any criticism

That's actually pretty hilarious. It shows how ancient and uncreative they really are. If they had any sort of problem solving skills they would see this as an untapped market and work towards structuring the show/questions to be able to fit these types of guests... aka some of the hottest commodities in the industry right now. I guarantee if they did it early enough and made sure not to embarrass themselves with the kids then the podcast would be in a different place right now. Instead they double down and have backed themselves into a corner. They probably could have got a younger co-host in someone that wasn't Kelly or Steezus, it could have actually opened them up to different perspectives and audiences.

All in all I think it's all down to how they treated it and that's up to them. They thought they hit a home run straight out of the park on first try and tried to run all the way before realising it was coming down a lot sooner than they thought (I'm British so I think that makes sense?lol). Anyway they should have been constantly trouble shooting their formula along the way like a lot of successful YouTubers instead of thinking they cracked the code immediately, but I guess that's not their style.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2023, 08:48:07 AM »
They should just alternate Mike Sinclair and Bill Weiss talking shit, those guys are pretty much the only funny guys in skateboarding.
I would think that a Bill Weiss episode would be very timely right about now. I know I’m curious enough about recent goings-on over at Dwindle that I’d sure as heck tune in.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t think that they’ve had Burnett, but maybe he won’t go if he doesn’t get to pick the questions.  I assume a bunch of people like him won’t come if they’re gonna talk about the elephant in the room.
[close]
I am presuming the elephant you're referring to is the six figure salary.
[close]

what about ~100k(+) for being the editor of thrasher magazine (san francisco) is disturbing?
Absolutely nothing: if you plan on being “comfortable,” you’d better be bringing in 6 figures.
This city gobbles up your cash w/ a voracious appetite. Shit ain’t cheap over here now, is it?
You can take up compensation, bonuses & perks w/ that newphone dood… I’m busy out here collecting paycheques so I can feed my babies.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2023, 08:58:13 AM »
Nine club guests are boring most of the time. I’m in my late 30s and I don’t wanna listen to a podcast with some of the old ass dudes they interview so I’m sure kids younger than me don’t either. Plus most of the big names have already been interviewed far better than what nine Club will do. I’d be more interested in them interviewing younger skaters even AMs. I mean fuck get all three of the three seasons dudes to come in and chop it up for a bit. Hype their video and breathe some life into their stale ass podcast.

I don't know if I can put up with multiple Kader types on a weekly basis. Most professional skateboarders are just that - professional skateboarders, I don't count on them being the best storytellers, most eloquent speakers or have the deepest insight to important topics.

So do we want a podcast where skaters talk about tour van stories? Or have them discuss Sartre and offer opinions on how to solve the the Ukraine war?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqk_fN0NRgg&ab_channel=TomHiskey
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2023, 10:14:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know if I can put up with multiple Kader types on a weekly basis. Most professional skateboarders are just that - professional skateboarders, I don't count on them being the best storytellers, most eloquent speakers or have the deepest insight to important topics.

So do we want a podcast where skaters talk about tour van stories? Or have them discuss Sartre and offer opinions on how to solve the the Ukraine war?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqk_fN0NRgg&ab_channel=TomHiskey

But foy is usually okay to listen to. They wouldn’t have to be burnt out 20 year olds. I mean Jake hayes  would be interesting if he hasn’t already been on. K walks shit I’d be okay with thrm even plugging active crail riders. Griffin gass or bannerot over some of the boring people usually on there I’d almost prefer a burnt out 20 year old than old dudes pandering for sponsors or some of the other wack ass people on there

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2023, 10:31:28 AM »
They should do more events. Like when they set up their whole set at that addidas thing or at the thrasher Halloween event. That way they get to talk to a wide variety of people. They also need to get Leo on the show.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2023, 10:57:51 AM »
After Grosso said he was bummed out on that they edited his episode to shit I stopped watching.
Pals Questions/Heckride >nice club.
I miss love letters.

squippy

• Rep: -65
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2023, 04:50:47 PM »
People on the show:skate moss,Dave England,mark normand,circe wallace,mikey alfred,eric bragg

People without an episode:tom penny,pj ladd,arto saari,jim thiebaud ,flo marfaing,…

It’s been a while since a watched that show.

I'd be shocked if Crob knew who flo was

Bill Salt

« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2023, 10:59:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Shit I forgot that show!thx for posting.

Current Capeless

« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2023, 11:09:58 PM »
After Grosso said he was bummed out on that they edited his episode to shit I stopped watching.
I miss love letters.

damn didnt know that, can i read/watch this somewhere?

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2023, 11:12:37 PM »
They need to get Vanik Hacobian on.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2023, 01:00:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That might have been the real SO, tho...

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2023, 01:07:18 AM »
Expand Quote
I miss love letters.
[close]

It was some Brazilian(?) guys that interviewed him at some contest. I'll look for it.

Dummklaus

• Rep: 44
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2023, 03:10:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I miss love letters.
[close]

[close]

It was some Brazilian(?) guys that interviewed him at some contest. I'll look for it.

found it

https://youtu.be/si9IvK6JIEc?t=3624

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2023, 03:52:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I miss love letters.
[close]

[close]

[close]

found it

Aye that's it. I guess he doesn't directly say he's bummed on it but watch it, pretty clear he is. Also lol I forgot about him shitting on Primitive in that interview lol.

Current Capeless

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2023, 04:28:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I miss love letters.
[close]

[close]

[close]

found it

[close]

Aye that's it. I guess he doesn't directly say he's bummed on it but watch it, pretty clear he is. Also lol I forgot about him shitting on Primitive in that interview lol.

danke yannick :)
haha would love to hear all the shit grosso talked in those 6 hours, fuck the nice club

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 279
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2023, 05:23:51 AM »
Kinda similar (but not really) to the Nine Club, does anyone remember the Captain and Casey show? It was on Fuel TV in the late 2000s. Had guests but also had footage. I never knew any of the ties/backstory to them so any insight into that is appreciated. Usually, they would play Cataclysmic Abyss or United by Fate after which was sweet.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2023, 06:05:56 AM »
Kinda similar (but not really) to the Nine Club, does anyone remember the Captain and Casey show? It was on Fuel TV in the late 2000s. Had guests but also had footage. I never knew any of the ties/backstory to them so any insight into that is appreciated. Usually, they would play Cataclysmic Abyss or United by Fate after which was sweet.
Had a friend who would tape it for me along with whatever tv edit of all the dwindle videos they'd play but it was more like globe opinion and darkstar battalion so it must of been being aired for a long time. I think an option for the original nine club was Casey was gonna be the host maybe so possibly more of a connection.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2023, 06:19:37 AM »
Nora played the nine club like a cat guitar.

I've only read the first page of this thread.

Ravi Shankar played the sitar.

"You broke my fucking sitar"

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2023, 06:47:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If they were able to formulate an interview that goes beyond "how did you start skating? how did you get sponsored? tell us some stories from the van" then this wouldn't be an issue. They're in the industry, I'm sure they'd be able to identify who of the younger generation is worth talking to and who doesn't have much of a story / is too braindead to say anything worthwhile. Every pro / am has done some sort of interview / piece to camera at some point. Just go and watch those and see who sounds like they have something to say.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

FactoryMinimum

• Rep: -5
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2023, 08:00:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t think that they’ve had Burnett, but maybe he won’t go if he doesn’t get to pick the questions.  I assume a bunch of people like him won’t come if they’re gonna talk about the elephant in the room.
[close]
I am presuming the elephant you're referring to is the six figure salary.
[close]

what about ~100k(+) for being the editor of thrasher magazine (san francisco) is disturbing?

How can you accurately cover the streets if you ain't sleeping in the gutters?

/s

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2023, 08:23:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nora played the nine club like a cat guitar.

I've only read the first page of this thread.

Ravi Shankar played the sitar.
[close]

"You broke my fucking sitar"
[close]
you ever see the episode of gilmore girls that recreates this scene? they even got joel gion to play "himself"
I nerded out on that episode! Was just thinking about Dig the other day and was reminded of how sick that cameo was. I kinda wish Bruce McCullough (another incredible casting coup) and Gion had shared a Gilmore episode… maybe for the re-re-reboot.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2023, 09:07:48 AM »
I thought it was grosso that wanted them to edit the interview, like he regretted saying all the stuff and then called them and was like hey can you take that stuff out
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 279
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2023, 04:08:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Had a friend who would tape it for me along with whatever tv edit of all the dwindle videos they'd play but it was more like globe opinion and darkstar battalion so it must of been being aired for a long time. I think an option for the original nine club was Casey was gonna be the host maybe so possibly more of a connection.
Were there other options than those two? An interesting alternative timeline.

Looking back on what is available online, they had a really wide variety of guests. They had Tony Hawk, Lance Mountain, and Ray Barbee. But also had folks like Shimizu, AVE, Mike Rusczyk, and Clyde. They really spanned the spectrum