Author Topic: "The Killer of a Skateboarding Legend Went Unnamed for Years."  (Read 12172 times)

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: "The Killer of a Skateboarding Legend Went Unnamed for Years."
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2023, 04:43:23 AM »
The irony here is that the skateboarding industry has been piggybacking off of this partying mentality to present an exciting image of skateboarding to impressionable teens. If you make this your life, chances you also have an addictive personality and there you go.

TWS tried to pedal a family friendly version of skateboarding and went under. With olympics now in the picture and a new generations of nyjah-like kid robots training for the contests, Thrasher will probably have to keep peddling "the street lifestyle" to stay relevant for the "core" skaters. Thrasher did address mental illness quite extensively, but now it has to come clean about drugs/partying too.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2023, 04:59:16 AM »
The irony here is that the skateboarding industry has been piggybacking off of this partying mentality to present an exciting image of skateboarding to impressionable teens. If you make this your life, chances you also have an addictive personality and there you go.

TWS tried to pedal a family friendly version of skateboarding and went under. With olympics now in the picture and a new generations of nyjah-like kid robots training for the contests, Thrasher will probably have to keep peddling "the street lifestyle" to stay relevant for the "core" skaters. Thrasher did address mental illness quite extensively, but now it has to come clean about drugs/partying too.
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/over-it-article/
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2023, 05:11:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I remember that article ... yet a lot of their media still promotes (drunken) partying (SOTY trips etc.)

CrappybsflipDownthe5stair

• Rep: 8
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2023, 07:58:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I remember that article ... yet a lot of their media still promotes (drunken) partying (SOTY trips etc.)

Tbf I don't think they are under any obligation or need to completely disavow the heckride lifestyle, just an acknowledgement of the darker side of these things occasionally and honesty about the number of skaters that have passed on, or even just piled out, through the temptations of that side of it might be timely and helpful for younger skaters every now and then.

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2023, 08:32:06 AM »
Credit due to Mr. Patrick O'Dell for making Epicly Later'd, mass media skateboarding content that spoke frankly about drugs and alcohol. So many episodes, basically all of the best ones, examine addicts before or after sobriety. He saved lives with those shows.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 274
  • often correct
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2023, 08:50:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

as the only major skate mag left, thrasher will ultimately end up covering a wide swath of topics and approaches to skateboarding/the skateboarding lifestyle, which includes the sobriety-to-addiction spectrum. i don't think it's realistic to expect them to pretend partying on trips doesn't happen or to completely disregard skateboarders who aren't "family friendly". "sobriety coverage" has already bled its way into the mag with articles like "over it" (not-so-subtly published less than six months after Phelps' passing) and feature interviews (as more and more skateboarders embrace sobriety/a low-key lifestyle, it will inevitably bleed through into their coverage), and now the owner of the mag is very publicly addressing the circumstances that contributed to Phelps' death, which is much more than we can say for some other notable losses in skateboarding. i think these all count as big steps forward, for the magazine and for skateboarding as a whole

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2023, 08:54:18 AM »
Ok I’m convinced that coke is a bad idea. I was already headed in that direction so I think I’ll skip it from now on. Don’t need to orphan my son.

That being said I don’t think the Thrasher SOTY vids are a big deal. No kid needs thrasher to tell them that going to Europe, partying and skating is fun. And those vids are pretty tame-having a spritzer in the afternoon isn’t problematic drinking.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2023, 09:40:49 AM »
I'm glad that this is being talked about and not being hushed up anymore. In the last year I lost one of my close friends since high school to a fentanyl overdose and watched another one of my best friends become a completely different person from getting heavily back onto opiates. That shit is no joke and will change your life in a heartbeat, no matter how hard you fight it.

Useless_wooden_lurker

• Rep: 31
  • Congratulations! You've wasted your life!
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2023, 11:46:37 AM »
I think what's being left unsaid is that skating is an industry that depends on young people ruining their bodies. And getting broken off can often mean surgery and long-term therapy/recovery, and often that means medication, whether prescription or self-medicating with drugs and alcohol. That coupled with the party atmosphere that some companies still endorse often leads to addiction.

There's very little emphasis inside the industry on mental and emotional health, at least not until recently, so I'm glad to see this stuff finally being destigmatized, but it's got to be part of a larger conversation. Hopefully companies, especially larger ones with enough money to do so (energy drink and shoe sponsors), will start offering health insurance options.

Anyhoo, be careful out there, folks.

caked

• Rep: -1
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2023, 12:15:07 PM »
Has anyone here actually done coke that was laced with fentanyl? Doesn't seem like something anyone would knowingly do but i'm wondering if you would do the coke and then immediately be like 'oh fuck' or if you wouldn't even realise

I've never done cocaine and never will, but I was at a party a few years back with friends who were doing a few bumps. Wasn't fent, but they immediately knew the stuff had been cut with something, likely meth based on the area we're in, moments after snorting. The smell or sensation must have been different.

Everyone be safe out there. Test your drugs. Festivals will usually give out free kits now. Try to get off the hard shit if you can. It's difficult as fuck, but you and your loved ones are worth it.

Fentanyl is a wonderful pain relieving drug in clinical applications. The problem is it started being illicitly manufactured in the mid 2010's and is now super super cheap to obtain. We're talking a third of the price of H.

Fentanyl has an extremely narrow therapeutic window. This means that it is therapeutic at extremely low, precise doses, and extremely toxic when you don't dose correctly. When used in clinical settings, the clinical pharmacist will literally do a dosage calculation with several mathematical factors in order to give the patient the appropriate therapeutic dose. Dealers/users are obviously not doing this. The specks of fent on the dealer's table that has been mixed in with all the other drugs is an unknown dose.

alexander glownig

• Rep: -10
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2023, 01:03:10 PM »
heard murmurs that the point of cutting fentanyl into non heroin drugs is to cause addiction. can't say if it's that, ineptitude or outright murder but devious any which way. fentanyl doesn't last as long as normal opiates so it's more addicting as the user has to use more frequently.
first i heard of fentanyl killing users was about 20 years ago in philly (can't forget new jersey) and the story has come and gone a few times in the news cycle so i didn't pay too much attention. feels like it's more prevalent now.
if that carfentanyl hits the streets in any meaningful way, we're all fucked.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2023, 02:00:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Today at my local grocery store a dude died in the dairy section from fentanyl. People are dropping like flies. Rip to the lost souls.
[close]
Damn, mooment of silence

have a gnar for that one haha

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2023, 05:18:45 PM »

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2023, 07:44:29 PM »
Pops wrote this article as a response/his own commentary on the matter

https://anthonypappalardo.substack.com/p/lets-talk-about-quiet-partying?r=w1g6&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

That's not the Anthony Poppalarado you're thinking of.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.