Author Topic: "The Killer of a Skateboarding Legend Went Unnamed for Years."  (Read 12074 times)

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
Re: "The Killer of a Skateboarding Legend Went Unnamed for Years."
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2023, 01:27:08 PM »
drugs used to be so much simpler back then, now people can die from weed dipped in PCP. stuff like that would never have crossed my mind. it feels too crazy to do anything.

SwitchNollieHeel

• Rep: -6
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2023, 02:28:47 PM »
If it weren’t for my homie being a responsible and educated user, I wouldn’t be here posting this.

narcan saves lives*brayden voice*

Please get fent test strips and test your drugs before using, many pharmacies and health clinics offer them for free or low cost

Edit: even if you don't use, I'd highly recommend learning how to administer narcan/naloxone and carrying it with you

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2023, 02:39:01 PM »
Sad to read but glad it's out there - hope it makes people think twice.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 49
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2023, 03:00:39 PM »
I still miss Phelps. A tragic for sure. Cocaine is just not doable anymore. It's not worth it.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2023, 03:09:43 PM »
wtf i thought he died trying to slappy hollywood high

The only reason they should cover up Phelps death is if he died skating a socal spot

slothflip

• Rep: -9
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2023, 03:30:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Pretty much my whole highschool crew struggled with opioid abuse. Some are clean, some are in jail, some died. I really hate this shit.

Expand Quote
Thanks for posting. I worry a lot about my friends still getting high on Mission Street coke, but I try and always tell them so.

[close]

Expand Quote
Fucked up they’re putting it in coke. I don’t even like coke that much but I’d rather not feel like I’m risking death on the rare occasions I have some.
[close]

for real. i dont even get the reasoning behind that, you're just gonna kill your clientele, they dont have an opiate tolerance that can handle that. Most people dont, thats why it even kills heroin junkies.
[close]

My thinking is that nobody purposely is putting fentanyl in coke, the contamination is occurring when dealers are packaging the drugs back to back on the same table or with the same tools and little or no cleaning between. That is the only answer that makes sense to me.

This is exactly what is happening. unintentional cross contamination. face drugs are like playing russian roulette

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2023, 03:45:42 PM »
They don’t give a fuck about you. They only give a fuck about your money. Stop asking how or why the shits getting cut with fent. Get help, get test strips, or both.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

slothflip

• Rep: -9
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2023, 03:53:06 PM »
They don’t give a fuck about you. They only give a fuck about your money. Stop asking how or why the shits getting cut with fent. Get help, get test strips, or both.

test strips cannnot be relied on either as the fent is too small and will be unevenly distributed.

just get help. stay safe friends

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2023, 03:58:30 PM »
This was to be expected, not to go into too much personal detail it’s hard to read this, my fiancée is addicted to smoking pain pills…. While she wants to get help she refuses to believe half of the info that is out there about this epidemic. Some of it, is strait up truly fear mongering, the cops saying a pill or powder can absorb the light he skin, I get they are lying to try and scare people from drugs, but you lie about things and it makes it hard for people to know what is really something to be scared of, my fiancée is not stupid, she knows fentanyl unless on a patch can’t be absorbed through the skin on contact, now the problem is she refuses to believe anything related to the risk of it. I get why the family’s don’t want the true cause of death out there, but all they do by hiding things in increase people ignoring it

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2023, 04:04:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The only reason they should cover up Phelps death is if he died skating a socal spot

While riding Trackers.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2023, 04:57:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Pretty much my whole highschool crew struggled with opioid abuse. Some are clean, some are in jail, some died. I really hate this shit.

Expand Quote
Thanks for posting. I worry a lot about my friends still getting high on Mission Street coke, but I try and always tell them so.

[close]

Expand Quote
Fucked up they’re putting it in coke. I don’t even like coke that much but I’d rather not feel like I’m risking death on the rare occasions I have some.
[close]

for real. i dont even get the reasoning behind that, you're just gonna kill your clientele, they dont have an opiate tolerance that can handle that. Most people dont, thats why it even kills heroin junkies.
[close]

My thinking is that nobody purposely is putting fentanyl in coke, the contamination is occurring when dealers are packaging the drugs back to back on the same table or with the same tools and little or no cleaning between. That is the only answer that makes sense to me.

No, it's definitely intentional. It used to be chinese labs producing it and it got smuggled in via Mexico, but latest Intel I've seen is the cartels set their own labs up or shifted meth production to fentanyl. Its literally just a matter of numbers - you don't have to have a sophisticated network anymore, any jackoff with 5k and a smart phone can get a kilo of it shipped domestically and we aren't talking about savvy, low profile lifers here. We're talking street dealers mixing their batches up in a coffee grinder who just want to make a wad of cash to flash on social media. When someone dies they just "chalk it up to the game". It's not a long term business plan... it's a get rich quick scheme.

So nah, it's intentional and despite what the article implies/suggests in my experience it's usually not tainted coke, it's fake oxycodone 30s or "heroin" that's far stronger than intended. I know thats what it was in at least one of the cases they mentioned. I think people seem to cling on to the "tainted coke" idea so they don't have to think of their loved one as a junkie which is, ironically, a symptom of the cultural stigma of addiction. It definitely happens but the number of times I've seen actual like police reports or reliable testimony that the person was only seeking coke pales in comparison to the number of times I've seen a functional junkie have their secret exposed by ODing. Having lived in that world for too long and still having plenty of secondhand exposure through my program, I'd say most users are at the very least aware of the danger but when you're gettin it in that's not really a concern. You just never think it's going to be you... until it is.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2023, 05:02:39 PM »
im not even gonna front, i'll do meth like once a year. especially if im getting pussy on it, that shit is pure magic when you're fucking. everything beyond that is pretty miserable tho.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2023, 05:17:55 PM »
This was to be expected, not to go into too much personal detail it’s hard to read this, my fiancée is addicted to smoking pain pills…. While she wants to get help she refuses to believe half of the info that is out there about this epidemic. Some of it, is strait up truly fear mongering, the cops saying a pill or powder can absorb the light he skin, I get they are lying to try and scare people from drugs, but you lie about things and it makes it hard for people to know what is really something to be scared of, my fiancée is not stupid, she knows fentanyl unless on a patch can’t be absorbed through the skin on contact, now the problem is she refuses to believe anything related to the risk of it. I get why the family’s don’t want the true cause of death out there, but all they do by hiding things in increase people ignoring it

You need to get her help while she's only smoking them. If she won't actually go get help then you need to walk away (for your own sake) until she does. Don't sit on your hands and hope it will get better on its own because it won't. I lost the love of my life by not being proactive about this, don't make the same mistake I did.

If there's a silver lining here it's that she's destroying the majority of the active drug just via her ROA so her habit is likely very manageable with medical treatment and detox actually shouldn't be that bad. This shit isn't crack, most opiates don't tolerate heat well and what does get through has awful bioavailability, like 10-20% of what it would be if injected. She's mostly smoking inert binders and wax. People used to smoke fentanyl patches just because there was no other convenient way to abuse them but it's far from a "good" way to get high. So, if she's buying them off the street and not picking them up directly from the pharmacy itself then she's probably already had fake ones and had her life saved simply by the fact she's choosing the most inefficient way possible to get it into her bloodstream.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2023, 05:44:29 PM »

Try to convince her to switch to kratom. It's a life saver for opiate addiction. A lot of people manage to successfuly get off opiates by switching to kratom and then weaning off. Her addiction seems manageable at this point. Don't wait for it to get worse. I'd also wait to get married until she's been clean for a while. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you two.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2023, 06:00:12 PM »
im not even gonna front, i'll do meth like once a year. especially if im getting pussy on it, that shit is pure magic when you're fucking. everything beyond that is pretty miserable tho.

Be so fucking careful dude. I have had several friends go from 'once a year' to 'once a month' to 'only on weekends' to being full blown iceheads. It happened out of nowhere too. Just give that shit up, it's an evil drug
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Changes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -220
  • #NeverForget
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2023, 06:48:38 PM »
Shame about Grosso, was hoping it died from heart issues, such a shame he turned back to drugs especially having a young son

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2023, 07:07:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

While riding Trackers.

Heavenride

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2023, 07:23:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No, it's definitely intentional. It used to be chinese labs producing it and it got smuggled in via Mexico, but latest Intel I've seen is the cartels set their own labs up or shifted meth production to fentanyl. Its literally just a matter of numbers - you don't have to have a sophisticated network anymore, any jackoff with 5k and a smart phone can get a kilo of it shipped domestically and we aren't talking about savvy, low profile lifers here. We're talking street dealers mixing their batches up in a coffee grinder who just want to make a wad of cash to flash on social media. When someone dies they just "chalk it up to the game". It's not a long term business plan... it's a get rich quick scheme.

So nah, it's intentional and despite what the article implies/suggests in my experience it's usually not tainted coke, it's fake oxycodone 30s or "heroin" that's far stronger than intended. I know thats what it was in at least one of the cases they mentioned. I think people seem to cling on to the "tainted coke" idea so they don't have to think of their loved one as a junkie which is, ironically, a symptom of the cultural stigma of addiction. It definitely happens but the number of times I've seen actual like police reports or reliable testimony that the person was only seeking coke pales in comparison to the number of times I've seen a functional junkie have their secret exposed by ODing. Having lived in that world for too long and still having plenty of secondhand exposure through my program, I'd say most users are at the very least aware of the danger but when you're gettin it in that's not really a concern. You just never think it's going to be you... until it is.

i can say with total certainty i had a friend die from fentanyl in his coke. it’s a cheap cut. i’m not saying it’s in all of it, but it’s in enough of it

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2023, 08:08:39 PM »
I have a friend who’s a nurse at a live in care home for the disabled and elderly who’s got a serious coke issue and he knows it. He’ll talk to us about how he wants to stop the bullshit, 3 beers later he disappears into the bathroom to make a discrete phone call and comes back all “I fucked up guys I’m gonna go meet someone in a few”

Rest of the night he’s an insufferable dickhead who doesn’t let you get half a sentence in before he either interrupts you or starts talking loudly about a wildly different subject to someone sitting nearby so EVERYONE in the room has to listen. Then the euphoria hits after a few more beers and he starts making plans to get breakfast the next morning, go golfing, go on a hike, get good food and come back later on and play some Gran Turismo and watch a movie or some shit while we grill. Never happens cause he stays up all night shoving shit up his nose and doesn’t get out of bed until 6pm because he’s so fucked up from the night before and can’t answer his phone.

Cokeheads are seriously the most annoying motherfucking people I’ve ever had to deal with but that doesn’t mean I want my boy to die. I’ve told him about this shit and tried to have a conversation about how he’s changed since he started hitting the snow, how much of a pain in the ass he is having us wait on him for plans he makes on top of various other shit he’s done, and he swears up and down he gets pure shit and shuts the whole conversation down after that, then drives away to the bar when 3 hours prior he’s crying about not wanting to lose his fiancee and his house.

YOU HAVE TO WANT THE HELP.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:17:46 PM by Yonnycage »

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2023, 10:18:16 PM »
I used to smoke pain pills in the 90's. I don't remember it having any particular upside, wasn't even a decent high, pretty pointless.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2023, 10:58:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Be so fucking careful dude. I have had several friends go from 'once a year' to 'once a month' to 'only on weekends' to being full blown iceheads. It happened out of nowhere too. Just give that shit up, it's an evil drug

Agree don’t fuck with meth, this is no joke.
And having the right pussy - is magic too.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2023, 11:27:47 PM »
I have a friend who’s a nurse at a live in care home for the disabled and elderly who’s got a serious coke issue and he knows it. He’ll talk to us about how he wants to stop the bullshit, 3 beers later he disappears into the bathroom to make a discrete phone call and comes back all “I fucked up guys I’m gonna go meet someone in a few”

Rest of the night he’s an insufferable dickhead who doesn’t let you get half a sentence in before he either interrupts you or starts talking loudly about a wildly different subject to someone sitting nearby so EVERYONE in the room has to listen. Then the euphoria hits after a few more beers and he starts making plans to get breakfast the next morning, go golfing, go on a hike, get good food and come back later on and play some Gran Turismo and watch a movie or some shit while we grill. Never happens cause he stays up all night shoving shit up his nose and doesn’t get out of bed until 6pm because he’s so fucked up from the night before and can’t answer his phone.

Cokeheads are seriously the most annoying motherfucking people I’ve ever had to deal with but that doesn’t mean I want my boy to die. I’ve told him about this shit and tried to have a conversation about how he’s changed since he started hitting the snow, how much of a pain in the ass he is having us wait on him for plans he makes on top of various other shit he’s done, and he swears up and down he gets pure shit and shuts the whole conversation down after that, then drives away to the bar when 3 hours prior he’s crying about not wanting to lose his fiancee and his house.

YOU HAVE TO WANT THE HELP.

That’s it - agree 100%
Your text gave me goosebumps- you totally describe my youth- I was surrounded by to manny coke heads.
Good people I grow up skating with- but sooner or late the disappearing in the bathroom starts- and then it was going down with them..

Nobody of them is in a loving and healthy relationship to a partner and family, build up career to feed kids - and of course is not skating with me.
I am only skating with the people who stoped fucking up themself latest in the late 20s.
If you already in your 30s and still consuming - get off.
Or you will end alone and fucked up sooner or later.
I don’t judge. It’s just my observation of myself and my friend cycle. I have done it all - intensive or just once - but between 16-25 - since 20 years I am off everything- having 2-4 beer and 2-3 per year.
Everyone who got off shit in the early late 20s was able to build up a proper life. And we still have a good relationship and enjoy each other.
People who never get off still consuming frequently in the late 30s - are all fucked up. Calling me once a year and talking about a glory / dream past - the have already slept half the day- and I was already skating with other guys. Or even worse begging for money.
I keep the contact to all of them - pick them up early in the day, invite them for a proper lunch. That’s all I can do for them.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2023, 11:35:53 PM »
Why is Tony giving an interview to a low level SF blog instead of putting an article in Thrasher? This information could have saved lives in the community. Just weird when the conclusion was ' this should have been publicized' then have the #1 guy who could have gotten the word out confirming it.

Going to take a guess that Phelps' family are only speaking publicly about it now but didn't want to initially?

I thought Grosso died of covid. Bummer.

Fentanyl in coke is a grim prospect that I hope doesn't make it to where I live.

Smoking pills sounds weird. How is it done? Freebasing? It doesn't seem like the powder would burn well. Is it because they put the anti-crush components in pain pills so you can't sniff them?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2023, 03:11:54 AM »
And though he was hobbled by broken bones and concussions, friends say that he was more tormented by his inability to skate the way he used to.

This part is scary for an old guy. I can relate.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2023, 06:20:37 AM »
Didn’t phelps suffer quite a serious head injury at one of those hill bomb events? That could have been the trigger for using street drugs to medicate for pain……or was there always the suspicious he was using opiates ?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2023, 08:10:58 AM »
Unpopular opinion- hill bombing, especially in yours  fifties, is risky like street meth

cky enthusiast

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2023, 08:17:09 AM »
bombing hills is pure but you can get severely fucked up/killed doing it. i have to stop bombing hills after my knee heals and i’m distraught over it.

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2023, 08:41:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I try to tell everyone, you can’t do coke anymore.  It sucks but you are risking death for sure these days.

This place is to blame for covering up Phelps too, everyone was so pissed at people telling the truth when he died.  People should be telling everyone when friends and family die from this shit, it’s fuckin terrible.

People in that thread were acting like Phelps' family were browsing SLAP and needed to be protected. The amount of power and influence slap pals think they have sometimes is embarrassing. This is an online forum and it's no longer the 2000s, nobody gives a shit about your post count or opinion on anything.

RIP Phelps

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2023, 08:41:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Why is Tony giving an interview to a low level SF blog instead of putting an article in Thrasher? This information could have saved lives in the community. Just weird when the conclusion was ' this should have been publicized' then have the #1 guy who could have gotten the word out confirming it.
[close]
Smoking pills sounds weird. How is it done? Freebasing? It doesn't seem like the powder would burn well. Is it because they put the anti-crush components in pain pills so you can't sniff them?

You put one on aluminum foil and heat it up from underneath with a lighter. The pill melts and you inhale the smoke with a straw. It's tricky to inhale all the smoke since it's not much and disappears quickly. A lot of people like doing it this way but I think it's dumb. Just snort it.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2023, 08:49:06 AM »
Positive vibes going out to anyone dealing with an addiction either personal or with a loved one. Stay strong and stay smart out there.