Author Topic: "The Killer of a Skateboarding Legend Went Unnamed for Years."  (Read 12070 times)

launderingmoney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Re: "The Killer of a Skateboarding Legend Went Unnamed for Years."
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2023, 08:54:56 AM »
Could coke ever be legalized?…actual question. Could people handle legal/safe/guaranteed cocaine? Or would that create a demise in itself

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2023, 08:57:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why is Tony giving an interview to a low level SF blog instead of putting an article in Thrasher? This information could have saved lives in the community. Just weird when the conclusion was ' this should have been publicized' then have the #1 guy who could have gotten the word out confirming it.
[close]
Smoking pills sounds weird. How is it done? Freebasing? It doesn't seem like the powder would burn well. Is it because they put the anti-crush components in pain pills so you can't sniff them?
[close]

You put one on aluminum foil and heat it up from underneath with a lighter. The pill melts and you inhale the smoke with a straw. It's tricky to inhale all the smoke since it's not much and disappears quickly. A lot of people like doing it this way but I think it's dumb. Just snort it.

I agree it is dumb, used to do this back in 2010-2011 when Oxys were everywhere. Very low bioavailability with this ROA, but hey when I eventually switched to heroin and all I could get was tar I knew exactly what to do lol.

I stopped fucking with opiates in 2019. I’d only snort heroin when I’d get powder or smoke it if I could only get tar. First tried H in 2015 after falling in love with oxy for years.

Fuck fentanyl, that shit doesn’t even feel good. All nod, no euphoria, but people seek it out bc their tolerances are jacked. I’ve stupidly have even purposely tried those fentanyl counterfeit M 30s. Shit fucking sucks and I was considered an “old head” bc I only wanted heroin and no fentanyl.

I’ve had many friends die from this shit. The fact that it’s in coke now, seriously everyone who uses recreational drugs should have fent test strips and narcan.

Anyone out there addicted to this shit rn, there’s light at the end of the tunnel but you have to want it for yourself. Kratom is your friend and will help you weather the storm. I was on it for 1.5 years after quitting dope before I stopped that too. Used kratom basically as my suboxone for the 8 years I was on opiates.

Also, you don’t have to be sober the rest of your life like rehab/recovery says. I’m clean from heroin 3.5 years, still smoke weed, drink a couple times a week, and take psychedelics. Hell I even did coke once last year. It’s not end all be all but the sooner you get off the junk and take accountability for yourself, the sooner life starts improving.

Sad shit for sure. I almost think it’d be better if it was still the pill mill days of 2009. Definitely the lesser evil compared to fentanyl

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2023, 08:59:32 AM »
I have a friend who’s a nurse at a live in care home for the disabled and elderly who’s got a serious coke issue and he knows it. He’ll talk to us about how he wants to stop the bullshit, 3 beers later he disappears into the bathroom to make a discrete phone call and comes back all “I fucked up guys I’m gonna go meet someone in a few”

Rest of the night he’s an insufferable dickhead who doesn’t let you get half a sentence in before he either interrupts you or starts talking loudly about a wildly different subject to someone sitting nearby so EVERYONE in the room has to listen. Then the euphoria hits after a few more beers and he starts making plans to get breakfast the next morning, go golfing, go on a hike, get good food and come back later on and play some Gran Turismo and watch a movie or some shit while we grill. Never happens cause he stays up all night shoving shit up his nose and doesn’t get out of bed until 6pm because he’s so fucked up from the night before and can’t answer his phone.

Cokeheads are seriously the most annoying motherfucking people I’ve ever had to deal with but that doesn’t mean I want my boy to die. I’ve told him about this shit and tried to have a conversation about how he’s changed since he started hitting the snow, how much of a pain in the ass he is having us wait on him for plans he makes on top of various other shit he’s done, and he swears up and down he gets pure shit and shuts the whole conversation down after that, then drives away to the bar when 3 hours prior he’s crying about not wanting to lose his fiancee and his house.

YOU HAVE TO WANT THE HELP.

Cokeheads are so draining to be around. I can relate to all of this so much. They need to take full control of the conversation and just talk AT you nonstop until they fade out. Combined with the skeevy disappearing to places to call and cop/reup, to disappearing to the bathroom to ingest said substances. It's fucking exhausting. My partner did all these same things and she's even in the same line of work as a care aid. I'll go through hell to stop her from going down that path again though.

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2023, 10:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Why is Tony giving an interview to a low level SF blog instead of putting an article in Thrasher? This information could have saved lives in the community. Just weird when the conclusion was ' this should have been publicized' then have the #1 guy who could have gotten the word out confirming it.
[close]

Going to take a guess that Phelps' family are only speaking publicly about it now but didn't want to initially?

Maybe then sure, but how about now? Hardly any of the greater skate community at large is seeing this article. Signal boost from Thrasher could save lives.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2023, 10:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
And though he was hobbled by broken bones and concussions, friends say that he was more tormented by his inability to skate the way he used to.
[close]

This part is scary for an old guy. I can relate.
im not even that old (30s) but I can relate, as injuries are keeping me from skating and physical activity, which used to give me joy and peace…now that’s coming from a bottle and occasionally other things more than I know is good for me. Can’t imagine how someone like Phelps or Grosso must’ve felt dealing with injuries when skating had been basically your whole life… I hope they have peace now.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2023, 10:52:51 AM »
Could coke ever be legalized?…actual question. Could people handle legal/safe/guaranteed cocaine? Or would that create a demise in itself

Cocaine was sold over the counter and legal in the US until 1914.
But no, I don’t think people could handle it…

BluffsideTank

• Rep: -15
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2023, 11:55:08 AM »
I am unfamiliar with The Standard but why did Vitello give an interview to them about the death of Phelps as apposed to other media sites?

Could know the writer or respect the publication. Could be a timing thing, too. Maybe he just felt comfortable opening up about it and happened to be contacted by the writer at the right time.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 35
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2023, 12:48:53 PM »
Man, what's wrong with just skating

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2023, 01:51:44 PM »
It seems like partaking in hard(er) drugs these days is, even moreso, legit playing with your life.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2023, 02:26:12 PM »
Just say no.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2023, 04:59:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Pretty much my whole highschool crew struggled with opioid abuse. Some are clean, some are in jail, some died. I really hate this shit.

Expand Quote
Thanks for posting. I worry a lot about my friends still getting high on Mission Street coke, but I try and always tell them so.

[close]

Expand Quote
Fucked up they’re putting it in coke. I don’t even like coke that much but I’d rather not feel like I’m risking death on the rare occasions I have some.
[close]

for real. i dont even get the reasoning behind that, you're just gonna kill your clientele, they dont have an opiate tolerance that can handle that. Most people dont, thats why it even kills heroin junkies.
[close]

My thinking is that nobody purposely is putting fentanyl in coke, the contamination is occurring when dealers are packaging the drugs back to back on the same table or with the same tools and little or no cleaning between. That is the only answer that makes sense to me.

This. this is exactly how it happens.

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2023, 05:07:23 PM »
I appreciate this article and think the conversation around any skater's death should be straightforward rather than shrouded in secrecy. The idea that Dave Abair and Mark Dillard both died from Fentanyl-laced coke in shocking to me. Knowledge of the specifics of their deaths can save lives.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2023, 10:34:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cocaine was sold over the counter and legal in the US until 1914.
But no, I don’t think people could handle it…

there's no way we could get "safe" coke, none, ever.
basically every doctor was a cokehead at the time it was a medical product, with all the symptoms a hard addiction can give you, just dunno how many OD cause its pretty easy if you like the stuff....

I live in the border with Bolivia and this shit its everywhere and cheap, but even here it gets mixed up with baby powder to last more/more income... now the reality its that this stuff its traveling half of the world to some dealers and they dont care about you, so clearly they are cutting it with whatever they find

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2023, 11:11:28 AM »
I appreciate this article and think the conversation around any skater's death should be straightforward rather than shrouded in secrecy. The idea that Dave Abair and Mark Dillard both died from Fentanyl-laced coke in shocking to me. Knowledge of the specifics of their deaths can save lives.

I agree, but I also respect the people who were close to him and to give them space…I’m happy this rolled out now, maybe less impact, but I can only imagine the pain his friends and family had…..

As someone who has posted on here for awhile….we love our car wrecks….but we don’t necessarily need all the gory details right away…it doesn’t help. 

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2023, 11:25:13 AM »
Can't say I'm shocked, although I find the Gross "revelation" to be far-superior in the waterworks department.

I've already said my peace on this board about my own struggles with addiction, no need to beat the dead mini-horse.

But I'll say one thing, heroin was a whole heckride a lot safer than fentanyl could be even under the safest of circumstances.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2023, 11:32:05 AM »
From my understanding you kinda can’t get Heroin anymore…..

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2023, 12:19:22 PM »
My first serious arrest was in the North Philly Badlands in 97.  14 bundles of double sealed stamped bags (just under 200 bags total). The stamp name was Volcano and was a widely known stamp being in newspapers in central PA for over a year or two by then.  When I got to court, the case was thrown out because I refused to give a statement at any time, and the test was negative for heroin. I’d always assumed I was getting a heroin/ fentanyl mixture, and was surprised there was 0 heroin.  Having become exposed to hard drugs through Grateful Dead tour, it was widely discussed that the “China White” everyone had been doing since the late 70s was not derived from poppies, and was completely synthetic, aka fentanyl. It’s my belief that the more recent wave of deaths is from benzo analogs becoming mixed in, as well as Xylezine, an animal tranquilizer. 

On a positive note, I’m 6 years removed since my last relapse, and 2 weeks out of the methadone clinic after 24 years of maintenance.  Slow taper works with professional counseling.

Does anyone know where to get the Dave Abair shirt that Walker Ryan was wearing recently? 

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2023, 12:24:00 PM »
Never done heroin but it was my understanding fentanyl od rates are much lower on the west coast for actual heroin users because it’s mostly tar and not powder. Guess all those guys who passed could have been taking pressed pills but bad coke isn’t as implausible as people think

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2023, 02:04:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree, but I also respect the people who were close to him and to give them space…I’m happy this rolled out now, maybe less impact, but I can only imagine the pain his friends and family had…..

As someone who has posted on here for awhile….we love our car wrecks….but we don’t necessarily need all the gory details right away…it doesn’t help.

I think you're wrong. Abair and Dillard died a year apart from the same apparent accidental cause. They meant to take coke but somebody cut it with fentanyl. Effectively they were murdered, and you want to say, "woah, woah let's not ask any questions about who killed them, on account of their friends and families".

Everyone I know who partakes of blow does so very casually. No one thinks of it as dangerous. Apparently it's dangerous now. At least in San Francisco. It might be cut with something that can kill you. It's fucking stupid to sweep shit like this under the rug. If I died in the same way I would want it to come out and potentially make a difference.

Somebody in the thread suggested using fent test strips. I mentioned it to my girlfriend and she laughed out loud. That's how much of a new concept it is to her.

I call bullshit on the so-called respectful silence around preventable deaths. I think it's the opposite of respectful.   

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2023, 06:51:44 PM »
My guy, are you ok?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

LebowskisRug

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2023, 06:57:34 PM »
Finally someone has the balls to write about this. I don't get how skaters can claim to embrace partying and be so weird or silent about the consequences. You wouldn't have seen that in any other sport or in music.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2023, 07:03:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pretty much my whole highschool crew struggled with opioid abuse. Some are clean, some are in jail, some died. I really hate this shit.

Expand Quote
Thanks for posting. I worry a lot about my friends still getting high on Mission Street coke, but I try and always tell them so.

[close]

Expand Quote
Fucked up they’re putting it in coke. I don’t even like coke that much but I’d rather not feel like I’m risking death on the rare occasions I have some.
[close]

for real. i dont even get the reasoning behind that, you're just gonna kill your clientele, they dont have an opiate tolerance that can handle that. Most people dont, thats why it even kills heroin junkies.
[close]

My thinking is that nobody purposely is putting fentanyl in coke, the contamination is occurring when dealers are packaging the drugs back to back on the same table or with the same tools and little or no cleaning between. That is the only answer that makes sense to me.
[close]

This. this is exactly how it happens.

I recall seeing some sort of special about Fentanyl and they interviewed many dealers of various drugs and all admitted to knowingly mixing it and other benzo analogs with literally everything you can think of and specifically called out coke. Their logic was a that it's so addictive and pleasurable that the right amount would bring back more return customers. At one point in Oakland there was a story about police seizing an ounce on someone during an arrest and it came back for Fentanyl.

If I recall the problem is particularly bad in California and in Canada. In California a lot of the Fentanyl or analogs are mixed in in Mexico even or large quantities are created in labs and smuggled across the border.

switchfakie

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2023, 07:18:47 PM »
damn, off laced coke

Not_Bruce

• Rep: -53
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2023, 08:38:36 PM »
Today at my local grocery store a dude died in the dairy section from fentanyl. People are dropping like flies. Rip to the lost souls.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2023, 09:33:08 PM »
steer clear of drugs and alcohol. and choose ur homies wisely

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2023, 09:38:15 PM »
Today at my local grocery store a dude died in the dairy section from fentanyl. People are dropping like flies. Rip to the lost souls.
Damn, mooment of silence
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 10:24:11 PM by Sizzle »

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -40
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2023, 10:02:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No, it's definitely intentional. It used to be chinese labs producing it and it got smuggled in via Mexico, but latest Intel I've seen is the cartels set their own labs up or shifted meth production to fentanyl. Its literally just a matter of numbers - you don't have to have a sophisticated network anymore, any jackoff with 5k and a smart phone can get a kilo of it shipped domestically and we aren't talking about savvy, low profile lifers here. We're talking street dealers mixing their batches up in a coffee grinder who just want to make a wad of cash to flash on social media. When someone dies they just "chalk it up to the game". It's not a long term business plan... it's a get rich quick scheme.

So nah, it's intentional and despite what the article implies/suggests in my experience it's usually not tainted coke, it's fake oxycodone 30s or "heroin" that's far stronger than intended. I know thats what it was in at least one of the cases they mentioned. I think people seem to cling on to the "tainted coke" idea so they don't have to think of their loved one as a junkie which is, ironically, a symptom of the cultural stigma of addiction. It definitely happens but the number of times I've seen actual like police reports or reliable testimony that the person was only seeking coke pales in comparison to the number of times I've seen a functional junkie have their secret exposed by ODing. Having lived in that world for too long and still having plenty of secondhand exposure through my program, I'd say most users are at the very least aware of the danger but when you're gettin it in that's not really a concern. You just never think it's going to be you... until it is.

I’ve known of 4 deaths off of tainted coke in my extended friend group alone, so idk where you get that it’s not occurring with coke

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2023, 10:11:27 PM »
Has anyone here actually done coke that was laced with fentanyl? Doesn't seem like something anyone would knowingly do but i'm wondering if you would do the coke and then immediately be like 'oh fuck' or if you wouldn't even realise
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2023, 10:54:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think you're wrong. Abair and Dillard died a year apart from the same apparent accidental cause. They meant to take coke but somebody cut it with fentanyl. Effectively they were murdered, and you want to say, "woah, woah let's not ask any questions about who killed them, on account of their friends and families".

Everyone I know who partakes of blow does so very casually. No one thinks of it as dangerous. Apparently it's dangerous now. At least in San Francisco. It might be cut with something that can kill you. It's fucking stupid to sweep shit like this under the rug. If I died in the same way I would want it to come out and potentially make a difference.

Somebody in the thread suggested using fent test strips. I mentioned it to my girlfriend and she laughed out loud. That's how much of a new concept it is to her.

I call bullshit on the so-called respectful silence around preventable deaths. I think it's the opposite of respectful.   

Sorry about that….I shouldn’t have quoted it because TBH I don’t know anything about those deaths….I was talking about Jake’s within the context of the article. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2023, 12:22:36 AM »
Has anyone here actually done coke that was laced with fentanyl? Doesn't seem like something anyone would knowingly do but i'm wondering if you would do the coke and then immediately be like 'oh fuck' or if you wouldn't even realise

I drank a coke whilst wearing fenty, but I don’t think that helps here