Author Topic: Any deadheads on slap?  (Read 3210 times)

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Any deadheads on slap?
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2022, 05:13:47 AM »
Growing up with parents into the Dead and other influences around who were into the "jam band" scene, it was probably inevitable that I got into it too. The Dead are always a band that I can come back to at any point in life and enjoy, the epitome of American music for me.

Rusty was really into the Dead too, his relatives even performed Ripple at his memorial service, definitely shed a tear on that one!
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2022, 12:08:24 PM »
Growing up with parents into the Dead and other influences around who were into the "jam band" scene, it was probably inevitable that I got into it too. The Dead are always a band that I can come back to at any point in life and enjoy, the epitome of American music for me.

Rusty was really into the Dead too, his relatives even performed Ripple at his memorial service, definitely shed a tear on that one!

make myself a bed, by the waterside, in my time, in my time, i will roll, roll, roll

RIP Rusty
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2022, 08:02:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

make myself a bed, by the waterside, in my time, in my time, i will roll, roll, roll

RIP Rusty

Gave me chills to read that about Rusty's memorial.

I'm very conflicted. I've seen Phil almost 200 times. Spent many years doing nothing but that, but now at 46, with a sweet 5 year old son, I'm divorcing my wife solely because she continues to go to shows over being with our family and son.  She continues to take him to festivals when in her custody, and now I'm fighting for full custody for that reason. Makes me feel like a traitor to the scene, but his mother has definitely chosen to go down the wook path or whatever you want to call it. Id feel different if she was coherent with him at the shows, but  those powders sure get ahold of people.  Today I picked up my take-homes and I'm finally single digit dose.  From 180 down to 9.  6 years since I used a thing. Hasn't been easy recently though.

Rusty Shackleford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2022, 04:42:42 PM »
yo if any vinyl cats are interested in preordering the new billy strings album he cut with his old man, there are some nice color variants..

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2022, 10:27:42 AM »
Love 'em, saw them 12 times mostly between '87-'89.  In terms of listening I can hang with any shows between '69-'81 with my favorite era being between '71-74 when it was just Bill on drums (not a fan of Mickey's goofy marching band style, he just got in the way.  Bill on the other hand is a fantastic drummer with solid jazz/r&b chops and swings/grooves like a motherfucker).  In addition to shows also still love listening to the lps Live Dead, Skull And Roses, Europe '72, Workingman's Dead, Mars Hotel, Dead Set and Reckoning.  Top five tunes-Unbroken Chain, Dark Star, Morning Dew, Dire Wolf and Deal(which I know is technically a Jerry tune).

graibe

• Rep: -53
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2022, 09:07:07 PM »
I'm a huge fan myself. I saw the Dead & Co. live at dodger stadium with John Mayer last summer. Also, I saw Bob Weir recently play in my college town.

live, laugh, love

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2023, 08:57:03 AM »
This is a cool interview with Jerry I came across from 1985. I definitely recommend giving it a listen. Pretty wild hearing him ripping lines throughout the interview. This was 6 days before he was busted in Golden Gate Park for smoking base in his bmw.

https://youtu.be/zV7QOrTyKW8

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2023, 05:52:30 PM »
Love 'em, saw them 12 times mostly between '87-'89.  In terms of listening I can hang with any shows between '69-'81 with my favorite era being between '71-74 when it was just Bill on drums (not a fan of Mickey's goofy marching band style, he just got in the way.  Bill on the other hand is a fantastic drummer with solid jazz/r&b chops and swings/grooves like a motherfucker).  In addition to shows also still love listening to the lps Live Dead, Skull And Roses, Europe '72, Workingman's Dead, Mars Hotel, Dead Set and Reckoning.  Top five tunes-Unbroken Chain, Dark Star, Morning Dew, Dire Wolf and Deal(which I know is technically a Jerry tune).

Interesting that you saw Brent live but still can’t listen to that stuff! There’s so much good stuff from the time period you cited that you really don’t have to bother too much with the 80s. I got a DVD box set for Xmas that includes the Dead Ahead show from 1980 that was quite good. Just so hard to watch unhealthy Jerry in the later years.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2023, 10:03:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting that you saw Brent live but still can’t listen to that stuff! There’s so much good stuff from the time period you cited that you really don’t have to bother too much with the 80s. I got a DVD box set for Xmas that includes the Dead Ahead show from 1980 that was quite good. Just so hard to watch unhealthy Jerry in the later years.

i’m a big 83 fan. brent is my favorite of all the keyboard players. crazy you saw it and can’t rock with it in retrospect