Author Topic: Last of us HBO  (Read 2681 times)

Newphone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -510
Last of us HBO
« on: January 24, 2023, 11:54:23 AM »
Surprised no one had discussed this, it’s so hot right now. Anyone watching? I’m finding it ok, but it’s like playing the game with less action so far.  Like the cold opens though, the first one with the talk show was great.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
Re: Last of us HBO
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 12:53:12 PM »
never played the games but I'm familiar with the story. so far I'm liking it, makes me wanna play the original on a ps3 emulator

ohtight

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 01:54:54 PM »
played both games and im loving the show so far. last week's episode with the clickers was great. they seem to be hitting all the major things while at the same time adding a bit more context and background to the story.
zzz

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 06:55:58 PM »
Forgot about the time jump and when Pedro Pascal said he was 36 in the prologue, I def yelled “fuck you” out loud haha (I’m 37)

I would definitely laugh if someone added “push triangle to talk” in some of those scenes in ep 2, but I think it’s def walking that tight rope of adapting a source material whilst doing your own thing.   

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 07:49:08 PM »
Never played the game.
I’ve heard the reviews and how people I know kept saying, “it plays like just a movie!” So it’s funny to see it as a show and following up with breakdown videos where people call out how the show is true to the game and incorporates Easter eggs from the games.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 07:37:49 PM »
For those of you who haven’t played it, you really should.  You can get the ps4 version for 9.99 at this point and it’s one of the best stories in gaming, and fun.  I wouldn’t want to ruin that story with the show honnestly.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 08:14:53 PM »
For those of you who haven’t played it, you really should.  You can get the ps4 version for 9.99 at this point and it’s one of the best stories in gaming, and fun.  I wouldn’t want to ruin that story with the show honnestly.

Shoo.  Go away

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1534
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 08:43:14 PM »
Last of Us really is one of those must play games on the playstation console.  I have part 2, but won't get around to playing it until summer.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 07:49:00 AM »
Anyone still crying from last night's episode? God this show is great.

I have played both games at length and I would argue both The Last of Us and The Last of Us 2 has one of the best stories of any game. The sequel is almost better than the first.

I really hope this show is around for multiple seasons without needing to have a zombified shark jumping scene. Best postapocalyptic/zombie show ever and its not even at episode 4.
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 08:33:17 AM »
never played the game but my lady has so it's been fun watching this and having both perspectives

last night's episode fucking got me so good, not a dry eye in the room

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 09:09:47 AM »
Dam it's just a game. Do you guys cry when Yoshi runs away?

But jokes aside pretty alright so far.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 10:13:21 AM »
never played the game but my lady has so it's been fun watching this and having both perspectives

last night's episode fucking got me so good, not a dry eye in the room

yeah finally watched last 2 episodes last night, the cinematography is on point, a lot of the shots and scenes/ sets look really fucking good.  The shot of the sunset when they ate the strawberry's was my fav scene and the episode 2 monsters in the museum where great

doublesteveburger

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 11:36:30 AM »
Dam it's just a game. Do you guys cry when Yoshi runs away?

But jokes aside pretty alright so far.

yes, we do.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 12:43:01 PM »
I really should not have smoked before watching last night's episode

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 01:56:34 PM »

As a standalone episode of a tv show it was really, really good... though the entire purpose of the episode was mainly to explain how Joel/Ellie get a car battery so in that regard I felt like it was kind of lacking purpose in the context of the series. As a fan of the game I think it was a great way to reinvent/explore the character of Bill, but I'm just wondering if general audiences were like 'what was the point of all that?' The thought of establishing a characters backstory in dramatic fashion just to kill them off in the same episode... idk, I'm probably overthinking it, as it seems everyone thinks it was really good (which it was).

Terrific watch and some great performances from the actors.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 04:46:28 PM »
played part 1 twice and part 2 once.
I think a lot about this game and how it made me feel.

I'm waiting on season 1 to finish and then will binge.

Leave Part 2 casting dreams below.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 04:59:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As a standalone episode of a tv show it was really, really good... though the entire purpose of the episode was mainly to explain how Joel/Ellie get a car battery so in that regard I felt like it was kind of lacking purpose in the context of the series. As a fan of the game I think it was a great way to reinvent/explore the character of Bill, but I'm just wondering if general audiences were like 'what was the point of all that?' The thought of establishing a characters backstory in dramatic fashion just to kill them off in the same episode... idk, I'm probably overthinking it, as it seems everyone thinks it was really good (which it was).

Not for nothing, but I’m part of the “general audience” never having played the game and I thought the episode was absolutely beautiful.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2023, 07:13:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not for nothing, but I’m part of the “general audience” never having played the game and I thought the episode was absolutely beautiful.
I have a (cynical) idea that they wanted to do a gay story but not have it fully attached to the story so all the complaining hillbillys can just skip it and still watch the show. Have a strong feeling today there's gonna be a bunch of YouTube videos from tuf nerds complaining about woke Hollywoods agenda but would of been praising the show the last two weeks

ApesPissed

• Rep: 58
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2023, 10:39:13 PM »
Played both games last fall. Incredible all the way through. Part 2 is a rollercoaster of emotion and left me feeling a lot of things. More impactful than any other game, by a large margin. I think actually playing part 2 really brought out the best of the story, I’m unsure if the tv show will hit as hard. That being said the first 3 episodes were so good. I love the actors and episode 3 was beautiful. I think more so than just giving context for the battery/truck or an excuse to write a lovely love story, the end seemed to show the beginning of his character shift.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 06:29:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I have a (cynical) idea that they wanted to do a gay story but not have it fully attached to the story so all the complaining hillbillys can just skip it and still watch the show. Have a strong feeling today there's gonna be a bunch of YouTube videos from tuf nerds complaining about woke Hollywoods agenda but would of been praising the show the last two weeks

Mr. Salto, you're a frail husk of a human being but I love you just the same.
FYI there is a character in the first story that looks like this:

the only time you see Frank, he looks like this:

when asked "who's frank" by Joel, Bill responds "he was my partner, he would be the only one stupid enough to wear that shirt." You never find out about their life and you never learn Bill's fate in the game's story.

There is this constant, relentless building of reasons to be bummed as you progress in the game. The harder difficulty modes make health & ammo damn scarce and you (as the player) continue to develop this constant dooomer/downer feeling as you progress in the game. There are no little life breaks like in this show where they get hot showers & meals.  The Last of Us reminds me of The Road where the wife just is so depressed that she walks out naked into the night without abandon about what will happen to her, just searching for "the end." I kinda like this sugar coated version better than that.
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 06:49:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

when asked "who's frank" by Joel, Bill responds "he was my partner, he would be the only one stupid enough to wear that shirt." You never find out about their life and you never learn Bill's fate in the game's story.

There is this constant, relentless building of reasons to be bummed as you progress in the game. The harder difficulty modes make health & ammo damn scarce and you (as the player) continue to develop this constant dooomer/downer feeling as you progress in the game. There are no little life breaks like in this show where they get hot showers & meals.  The Last of Us reminds me of The Road where the wife just is so depressed that she walks out naked into the night without abandon about what will happen to her, just searching for "the end." I kinda like this sugar coated version better than that.
Wait why am I frail husk lol?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2023, 09:52:13 AM »
I fought back the tears while my wife cried for episode three.  That episode has to win some awards, one of the best episodes of tv I’ve ever seen, so much subtlety to bill and franks love story.  The official show podcast was a good companion, goes into how it came to be, how they picked the song et cetera. 

Also super reminiscent of the beginning of up (think I cried at that one).

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 01:35:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Wait why am I frail husk lol?

Yeah tbh I don’t see how anything they said relates to anything you said lol

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 02:44:53 PM »
Was expecting that episode to be sad but then I watched it and it was about a man who finally found love, despite a global pandemic/apocalypse and managed to maintain that love for 25 something years before natural causes ended things (which is as good as you could hope for in a setting like that).   

I’m not callous enough to think death isn’t an emotional topic, but it wasn’t a “kill your gays” trope or a tragedy manufactured to wring your emotions out like Up

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2023, 09:19:49 AM »
Was expecting that episode to be sad but then I watched it and it was about a man who finally found love, despite a global pandemic/apocalypse and managed to maintain that love for 25 something years before natural causes ended things (which is as good as you could hope for in a setting like that).   

I’m not callous enough to think death isn’t an emotional topic, but it wasn’t a “kill your gays” trope or a tragedy manufactured to wring your emotions out like Up

I didn't really think it was supposed to be sad, more bittersweet

doublesteveburger

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2023, 06:30:20 AM »
last night's episode was pretty good, felt like a filler episode but i get why they needed this one to kinda show the bond/growth between both characters

the diarrhea joke got me, so silly

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2023, 07:04:34 AM »
Yeaaaaah that got me and my girlfriend both.

Writing in “hehehehe” in the note was a pretty nice palate cleanser as well.

The people working on this show have such an attention to detail it’s nuts. Showing Bill going to bed in what is essentially a t-shirt and shorts while he dressed Frank in a full pajama set - essentially showing he put his care and energy into taking care of Frank and not himself… my heart
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2023, 07:09:36 AM »
^filler episode has me a little worried they are just gonna do the Netflix formula. First episode pretty good to grab attention, usually the second best ep of the series.
Then the third ep will be the absolute banger. Always put the best episode third because after that most people will stay until the end. About 6,7,8 will be a weird side quest ep that doesn't really affect the overall story arc but pair two characters that haven't spent much time together or dislike each other to overcome some small hurdle before the finale
Also around here another flash back ep
Then prep for finale and 50/50 if the finale is good or just kinda fizzles

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2023, 07:32:14 AM »
Filler episode??  They introduced the season antagonist and thawed the relationship between our protagonists.   

Last episode was a filler episode (if you want to use that term) in the sense that it didn’t advance the plot whatsoever until the final minute.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2023, 09:03:41 AM »
Yeaaaaah that got me and my girlfriend both.

Writing in “hehehehe” in the note was a pretty nice palate cleanser as well.

The people working on this show have such an attention to detail it’s nuts. Showing Bill going to bed in what is essentially a t-shirt and shorts while he dressed Frank in a full pajama set - essentially showing he put his care and energy into taking care of Frank and not himself… my heart

Or when Joel is at the dinner with bill and is taking about what he can provide to better the fence, says the steel will last the “rest of your life…lives”.  You see Joel remember in that split second who protecting bills place is really for, cause he’d be the same way.  Great writing, I hadn’t caught the pajama thing myself, so good.