Author Topic: Last of us HBO  (Read 2682 times)

ApesPissed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 58
Re: Last of us HBO
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2023, 04:19:43 PM »
Episode 4 was good, but I was expecting a whirlwind of action based on their arrival to Pittsburgh in the game. Thought it was weird they changed the city to Kansas City. Kathleen is pretty weird, and her vendetta against Henry who had yet to be introduced felt off. Couple of great moments, but I had higher hopes for that sequence of events. I feel like it was kind of a missed opportunity to really drive home the fucked up state of the world, especially since Ellie is just now getting introduced to it. Still excited for the next episode.

steezenking

• Rep: 12
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2023, 07:01:33 AM »
I gave the writers props for Joel picking up the M4 in the first episode as its a common issue characters don't grab weapons or equipment when they really should. All the props are revoked after episode 4. Joels terrible weapon choice, him not quickly resupplying at the truck after the fight ( he didn't grab his backpack, didn't grab another gun, didn't grab the guys shotgun). I get the aesthetic of a revolver is cool, but carry a glock or something as well. He stashed the m4 due to rare ammo type but I would imagine its less rare than his revolver.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2023, 07:10:57 AM »
I think you just gotta go along with it. If you think too much about those kind of details the whole show will just fall apart. In the last episode: Why would you drive into a city? He's meant to be super wise to how the world is and surely should of expected an ambush. How were they going to make the full journey? Earlier in the episode Joel explains how petrols gone to shit then later Ellie says they have 25 hours to go. They don't have 25 Jerry cans so were they just gonna hope they found enough cars on the way that nobody else had already taken the fuel out of.
Best not to worry about it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 08:39:24 AM by Mean salto »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2023, 08:35:37 AM »
Totally, I tend to try not to overthink these types of things when watching these shows.

Like how the hell did those three dogs survive living in that Warner Bros. water tank?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2023, 09:33:41 AM »
I think you just gotta go along with it. If you think too much about those kind of details the whole show will just fall apart. In the last episode: Why would you drive into a city? He's meant to be super wise to how the world is and surely should of expected an ambush. How were they going to make the full journey? Earlier in the episode Joel explains how petrols gone to shit then later Ellie says they have 25 hours to go. They don't have 25 Jerry cans so were they just gonna hope they found enough cars on the way that nobody else had already taken the fuel out of.
Best not to worry about it.

yea I mean it's not like I watch the show for rationale choices made, i like shows/games like these because if you think too deep about each situation you end up ruining the experience for yourself.

This shit was funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiIRlg4Xr5w

ApesPissed

• Rep: 58
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2023, 08:24:18 PM »
Snl is frequently pretty trash but that Mario kart skit was awesome

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2023, 06:30:39 PM »
Reminder - Super Bowl weekend means new ep dropped on Friday (today) on the app and probably onDemand

doublesteveburger

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2023, 07:21:34 AM »
good god last nights episode was heavy

I knew not to invest into characters emotionally given the story and all but holy hell that sucked.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2023, 08:34:50 AM »
Was expecting that episode to be sad but then I watched it and it was about a man who finally found love, despite a global pandemic/apocalypse and managed to maintain that love for 25 something years before natural causes ended things (which is as good as you could hope for in a setting like that).   

I’m not callous enough to think death isn’t an emotional topic, but it wasn’t a “kill your gays” trope or a tragedy manufactured to wring your emotions out like Up

Good comparison. A friend of mine storyboarded the opening sequence to Up (he works for Pixar). It's based on his relationship with his wife.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2023, 09:47:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Was expecting that episode to be sad but then I watched it and it was about a man who finally found love, despite a global pandemic/apocalypse and managed to maintain that love for 25 something years before natural causes ended things (which is as good as you could hope for in a setting like that).   

I’m not callous enough to think death isn’t an emotional topic, but it wasn’t a “kill your gays” trope or a tragedy manufactured to wring your emotions out like Up
[close]

Good comparison. A friend of mine storyboarded the opening sequence to Up (he works for Pixar). It's based on his relationship with his wife.

that's amazing.   to create something like that and know that no one really remembers the rest of the movie.   obviously that's not the creator's intent, but it's wild/great how transcendent that opening was.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -510
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2023, 10:40:30 AM »

I knew not to invest into characters emotionally given the story and all but holy hell that sucked.

It was pretty heavy in the game too, it happens just after all that action, and you finally have a crew, Ellie’s got a kid friend, and that happens.

The secret bite thing though in zombie genre is cheep overall, it’s kinda similar to an unreliable narrator, but is in almost all zombie based fiction.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2023, 11:39:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It was pretty heavy in the game too, it happens just after all that action, and you finally have a crew, Ellie’s got a kid friend, and that happens.

The secret bite thing though in zombie genre is cheep overall, it’s kinda similar to an unreliable narrator, but is in almost all zombie based fiction.

I mean with zombies the bite is everything though, so if it were real and someone got bit of course they'd want to keep it a secret. I get you think it's a trope at this point but it's kind of a staple element of the genre for a reason

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2023, 12:09:22 PM »
Always felt like the game was overrated. While the story is great, the gameplay is just uncharted with shitty stealth and crafting.

The show is kinda proving my point because I think the story and universe is working much better on television.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2023, 01:05:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I mean with zombies the bite is everything though, so if it were real and someone got bit of course they'd want to keep it a secret. I get you think it's a trope at this point but it's kind of a staple element of the genre for a reason

Yeah I think the difference here is that her blood is the cure, but it ends up not being just a salve like she thought it was

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2023, 03:16:30 PM »
Always felt like the game was overrated. While the story is great, the gameplay is just uncharted with shitty stealth and crafting.

The show is kinda proving my point because I think the story and universe is working much better on television.

I played through the uncharted games and thought it was dope, the movie adoption was meh...I never got into last of us due to just not having enough time to play.

Also never played Horizon of the new god of war...makes me wonder if these will get turned into live action shows or movies.

I heard they are actually making a gran turismo movie

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2023, 03:59:46 PM »
Yeah apparently it’s going to be based on the real story of some British dude who was so good at Gran Turismo that he transitioned to professional racing with relative ease.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2023, 04:03:48 PM »
If there was a commercial version of Winding Refn I’d want them to do Vice City - make it the Vega Bros movie QT never got to do

I’m surprised a Metroid movie has many been attempted

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2023, 05:22:07 PM »
Yeah apparently it’s going to be based on the real story of some British dude who was so good at Gran Turismo that he transitioned to professional racing with relative ease.

Havn't heard from that dude since he flipped the experimental nissan

I think this was him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUcjrtA416g

If there was a commercial version of Winding Refn I’d want them to do Vice City - make it the Vega Bros movie QT never got to do

I’m surprised a Metroid movie has many been attempted

a Scorsese Gran theft auto movie -vice city would be sick. James Cameron or Ridley Scott metriod could be good 

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2023, 06:02:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don’t mean the character hiding it, I mean the camera (known as the primary narrator in cinema) hiding it happening, becomes an unreliable narrator plot device.  They are two for two on using that with bites in this series so far, and it’s used far too much imo in the genre.  Loving the show overall though. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2023, 06:17:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t mean the character hiding it, I mean the camera (known as the primary narrator in cinema) hiding it happening, becomes an unreliable narrator plot device.  They are two for two on using that with bites in this series so far, and it’s used far too much imo in the genre.  Loving the show overall though.

The camera is not the primary narrator in cinema.   I’ve never heard anyone call it that.   It’s usually a mechanism for someone’s point of view, but it is not some disembodied kill cam

Also, what’s wrong with an unreliable narrator.  Every story told in the 1st person is unreliable to an extent.  It’s what separates the quality of the two Lolita’s.    The book is told through the perspective of a sick individual as we see the events through his eyes/words

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2023, 06:28:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think a problem translating any game into series/film is always going to be the cliches/tropes. Isn't the idea of a video game to begin with like imagine all those zombie movies you love but now you actually get to be in it and be involved. Film influenced the games but now the games are going back into film so there's bound to be some stuff being redone.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2023, 07:04:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The camera is not the primary narrator in cinema.   I’ve never heard anyone call it that.   It’s usually a mechanism for someone’s point of view, but it is not some disembodied kill cam

Also, what’s wrong with an unreliable narrator.  Every story told in the 1st person is unreliable to an extent.  It’s what separates the quality of the two Lolita’s.    The book is told through the perspective of a sick individual as we see the events through his eyes/words

It is typically considered the primary narrator.  Is much less often used as “someone’s point of view” in film (that’s first person).  Both this game and the vast majority of films use third person camera, and without narration, the camera is the third person “narrating” what the viewer is supposed to see. 

Nothing is “wrong” with an unreliable narrator per se, but it can be frustrating to the viewer.  In this case I’m suggesting that in the zombie genre, they to often show scenes or action where you see lots of combat, with many close ups of different characters, and the camera happens to not show the crucial bite.  The camera is omitting that from the viewer to later build tension that is arguably (by me and many others) considered unearned.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2023, 10:36:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I mean if you go back and watch the scene you see the zombies tugging on the kids ankles where he later reveals the bite to be, media does this all the time... a fight takes place and it's revealed afterwards that someone suffered a stab wound or something like that and no one noticed in the chaos of it all

Again, fine if you don't like that sort of thing but it's a completely normal and common thing in visual media and not unique to this show or even genre

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2023, 11:05:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I mean if you go back and watch the scene you see the zombies tugging on the kids ankles where he later reveals the bite to be, media does this all the time... a fight takes place and it's revealed afterwards that someone suffered a stab wound or something like that and no one noticed in the chaos of it all

Again, fine if you don't like that sort of thing but it's a completely normal and common thing in visual media and not unique to this show or even genre

My mistake

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2023, 02:21:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It is typically considered the primary narrator.  Is much less often used as “someone’s point of view” in film (that’s first person).  Both this game and the vast majority of films use third person camera, and without narration, the camera is the third person “narrating” what the viewer is supposed to see. 

Nothing is “wrong” with an unreliable narrator per se, but it can be frustrating to the viewer.  In this case I’m suggesting that in the zombie genre, they to often show scenes or action where you see lots of combat, with many close ups of different characters, and the camera happens to not show the crucial bite.  The camera is omitting that from the viewer to later build tension that is arguably (by me and many others) considered unearned.

There’s a difference between a POV shot and someone’s POV.   

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2023, 02:45:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

There’s a difference between a POV shot and someone’s POV.

Got it.

ohtight

• Rep: 19
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2023, 10:08:56 AM »
man im loving this show. pedro pascal's speech made a single tear roll down my cheek. kinda bummed the changed how joel gets stabbed at the end but it makes it more believable/not so over the top. was looking forward to ellie saying "well can you walk? then fucking walk!"

also they're really cutting down on the action/joel killing sprees which again makes sense, though i wish they would have figured out a way to leave some of it in.

also also, looks like we're getting the "Left Behind" DLC episode next week which im hyped on.
zzz

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2023, 11:10:13 AM »
another banger episode for sure,  the pacing of the show so far is great...and those fucking gorgeous shots of the forests and snow was just perfect for me being stoned. The Native american couple was hilarious! and that flashback scene with his daughter and the Christmas tree almost made me tear up,

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2023, 02:18:43 PM »
Everyone loved contractors

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2023, 07:14:43 AM »
i don't know anything about the video game and was skeptical before this series came out on HBO, but i love everyone of these thus far--especially the Bill and Frank episode. i also love the idea that perhaps the writers/director wanted to give glimpses of Bill to entice the average wing-nut "survivalists" into watching the episode (brief previews of "survivalist" fantasies and all) and then slowly revealed that beautifully romantic story one step at a time. i can just picture some overtly masculine prepper really starting to question shit when the Linda Ronstadt music book comes out, and then losing his shit over the first kiss and embrace between Bill and Frank.

the old couple at the beginning of this new episode are great too--wish there would have been more of them.

i think it's cool how they're giving us these fleeting/passing glimpses into people's lives like Bill and Frank and that old couple--even if it is ostensibly just to explain how Joel ends up with a battery. and narratively, talk about a mechanism that would let this show go on indefinitely...