Author Topic: Suede vs leather vs superstars  (Read 1265 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 90
Suede vs leather vs superstars
« on: August 21, 2022, 01:34:05 PM »
I think I can skate suedes best. What about you? You feel a difference?

I think my flip tricks suffer when skating superstars. I love thme, but not for skating somehow. Will give them a few more sessions.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Re: Suede vs leather vs superstars
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 09:52:22 PM »
Welcome to 1990

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 11:50:12 PM »
I've skated leather and suede Tyshawns back to back and back again, and they all felt identical.

However I can say that the toe on the leather ones lasts a bit longer...so durability wise there's a difference for sure.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 02:14:00 PM »
I have found with “rubber” capped shoes. Jack Purcell’s, chuck Taylor’s etc.   they eventually get to a really good place.  It’s takes a bit but once you arrive, they are special.   

So much so that I when mine hit the sweet spot I’ll usually put them away for when it’s time to get a clip.   Knowing they are in “ always ready” mode. 

Outside of this.  Suede rules in my book. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 03:34:25 AM »
Just started skating the superstars again. Strange flick.
Maybe it needs more time, I don’t know.

But what I wonder; shouldn’t every material still flick the same when using shoo goo anyway?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 04:11:15 AM »
I ride Busenitzes but can only do the suede ones. I once had a leather one and it really hurt my feet and was so stiff I would slam very hard on primos because the ankle would not bend and instead I got pitched to the ground.

I skated Superstars in the 90s and now have the Kader Superstars on ice but haven‘t skated them yet. I don‘t like what I read in this thread re flick tbh.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 04:30:09 AM »
My last pair of skating shoes were Kader Superstars and as wary as I was about the shell toe before giving them a go, I actually ended up really liking those. Stronger and grippier material around the toes felt like it would help give tension to my flicks, and they tanked frequent skating very well for no less than six months (I just retired them for a pair of Noras but had been skating in them since June). Still felt strong all the way till the end too, impact support was starting to go but the shoe never started feeling loose or less sturdy and in fact I was surprised seeing holes form both on the side and outsole on my last session in them - they felt like they still had life left in them otherwise.

Now the Noras feel great too, just the flicks feel different again, but after those six months in Superstars switching to anything else was bound to feel like skating in socks for a session or two. Personally though, I do miss that grip, I think it's practical at least for how I skate.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 05:48:31 AM »
My last pair of skating shoes were Kader Superstars and as wary as I was about the shell toe before giving them a go, I actually ended up really liking those. Stronger and grippier material around the toes felt like it would help give tension to my flicks, and they tanked frequent skating very well for no less than six months (I just retired them for a pair of Noras but had been skating in them since June). Still felt strong all the way till the end too, impact support was starting to go but the shoe never started feeling loose or less sturdy and in fact I was surprised seeing holes form both on the side and outsole on my last session in them - they felt like they still had life left in them otherwise.

Now the Noras feel great too, just the flicks feel different again, but after those six months in Superstars switching to anything else was bound to feel like skating in socks for a session or two. Personally though, I do miss that grip, I think it's practical at least for how I skate.

Merci, that sounds promising.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 09:02:00 AM »
I can only skate in things that once blinked.  Cow, pig, alligator, and so on.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 11:19:36 PM »
Superstar flick takes a while to develop (longer than most skate shoes) but once it does it is extremely consistent and reliable, not to mention durable.

I always loved how superstar toecaps also dont really look worn-down untill you really get a flick groove going after months. Makes them look gangsta

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 03:50:55 AM »
Superstar flick takes a while to develop (longer than most skate shoes) but once it does it is extremely consistent and reliable, not to mention durable.

I always loved how superstar toecaps also dont really look worn-down untill you really get a flick groove going after months. Makes them look gangsta

True. I still skate mine and it’s great now.
Took a few sessions though.

What I don’t get is that I shoo goo‘d then right away, shouldn’t that normally just make the flick like every other shoo goo‘d shoe? Somehow it didn’t and still took some time.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 11:39:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

True. I still skate mine and it’s great now.
Took a few sessions though.

What I don’t get is that I shoo goo‘d then right away, shouldn’t that normally just make the flick like every other shoo goo‘d shoe? Somehow it didn’t and still took some time.

Even if there is shoe goo itll wear away quickly at the point of contact with your board because of the aggressive nature of kickflips and griptape. The toe being extremely bulbous doesnt help when they are new either

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 08:37:04 AM »
Suedes always better on any shoe the leather in my experience. A bit more grippy.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"