Author Topic: Can someone explain my Habitat deck shape?  (Read 1168 times)

Ayjerry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Can someone explain my Habitat deck shape?
« on: January 25, 2023, 07:43:22 AM »
I just got a new Habitat 8.0 and built my first complete in 15 years. I used to skate Habitat decks, but my very last deck was a Stereo. I don’t remember ever considering things like concave, nose/tail size shape, or anything like that. I used to just buy what graphic and brand I liked. I used to skate 7.75, but bumped to an 8.0 with this recent build.

So with this new deck, I can easily see and feel it’s got a huge nose. I don’t remember it being like that. I read a recent post here about the new hab/aws shapes but it’s all foreign language to me, shovel nose, blunt nose, etc etc. Can someone explain to me?

I am finding it really hard to flick my kickflips how I used to, which is forward and through the nose. The nose is so big I have to flick down more, and then bring my foot back up which is harder and ends up being more rocket.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but as an avid snowboarder I generally prefer a true twin (I ride a YES. Basic).

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 90
Re: Can someone explain my Habitat deck shape?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 08:08:36 AM »
Ride it backwards then you magically have a shaped deck with a small nose and a huge tail.  But really the same thing happened to me and the big nose was weird but I had fun riding it both ways

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 08:27:45 AM »
If you want a deck shaped like a Habitat from 20 years ago you're gonna have to go with a Toy Machine or even a Hook Ups deck. They're shapes are slim and tapered and much more aligned to older decks of the early 2000s. Most brands now go for a wider/full shape with their decks.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »
Flick off the tip....

You can spend a lot of time and find a mellower board but I’d just put your hours in on what you have….you have expectations that you are going to pick up right where you left off…..when really, it’s a whole new you and you’re teething…..

Welcome back…
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:10:53 PM by j....soy..... »

Ayjerry

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 09:13:43 AM »
Flick off the dip…..

You can spend a lot of time and find a mellower board but I’d just put your hours in on what you have….you have expectations that you are going to pick up right where you left off…..when really, it’s a whole new you and you’re teething…..

Welcome back…

1000%. My 31 year old legs don’t have the strength or stamina they used to.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 09:38:45 AM »
I just got a new Habitat 8.0 and built my first complete in 15 years. I used to skate Habitat decks, but my very last deck was a Stereo. I don’t remember ever considering things like concave, nose/tail size shape, or anything like that. I used to just buy what graphic and brand I liked. I used to skate 7.75, but bumped to an 8.0 with this recent build.

So with this new deck, I can easily see and feel it’s got a huge nose. I don’t remember it being like that. I read a recent post here about the new hab/aws shapes but it’s all foreign language to me, shovel nose, blunt nose, etc etc. Can someone explain to me?

I am finding it really hard to flick my kickflips how I used to, which is forward and through the nose. The nose is so big I have to flick down more, and then bring my foot back up which is harder and ends up being more rocket.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but as an avid snowboarder I generally prefer a true twin (I ride a YES. Basic).

Ok, I think bringing up the first image I can find works well enough for shapes, the name of the shape being the easiest thing to see:

Shovel nose = the front of the board looks like a shovel

Full shape / Blunt kicks (not just nose, but both nose and tail) = both are not at all pointy and way more squared off looking, as per the Alien Workshop and Habitat shapes nowdays - usually fairly long kicks that are wide and square looking.

Blunt nose, surprisingly is a specific shape, more so like an 80s shaped board - leave that one for you to look up if you are interested.

Normal popsicle shape (hopefully showing / looking way more pointy)

To note, Alien Workshop and Habitat used to have a much more generic popsicle shape, but somewhere down the track they changed everything over to the current full / squared looking shapes.

Stereo were also pretty plain popsicle shapes before they stopped doing boards, like this one:

There are twin shape skateboards as well, most commonly by brands like Real for a pro guy by the name of Ishod Wair, the best pic maybe this one, which has all info with it including an 8" board as well as other sizes:

But there are others from brands like Girl / Chocolate, Krooked, even Alien Workshop and Habitat, although those ones are 8.375 wide and more I can't recall right this minute.

There is a whole thread dedicated to twin shaped boards too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=105756.0

As to things like how a board flips, having steeper or more mellow concave or very rough vs not so rough grip can really impact how a board performs too, so comparing your previous board to your new board might help with a few things that you can check / change, one being that older boards usually have a lot less grip than brand new ones, but you can dust the grip back with spare bits of grip to make it easier to flick, as one example.

Given I don't know anything else about your ability or previous boards, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but those are the first things I would think when someone comes in to the shop with those sort of questions.

That should keep you busy for a bit, but there are many wonderful things that people discuss in depth here that you might never have thought about before, regarding everything to do with skateboards and all the parts, sizes, shapes, angles, concaves and all the rest.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 11:28:16 AM »
someone shouldve given this fucker a hockey board

Ayjerry

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That should keep you busy for a bit, but there are many wonderful things that people discuss in depth here that you might never have thought about before, regarding everything to do with skateboards and all the parts, sizes, shapes, angles, concaves and all the rest.

This was extremely helpful. Thank you for putting the time into that reply.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 12:42:53 PM »
Last habitat board I remeber was back around 09 and they were pretty much like element decks with fuller shapes. Big nose short tail with the classic psstix concave

Modern is just regular deep concave bbs full shape
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:46:20 PM by nosneb »

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 05:04:58 PM »
Habitat was my go-to 20 years ago. I saw my first one recently in the wild a few months ago and it looked like a fucking tank. Was an 8.5 but looked like a Hockey/FA on steroids.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 05:22:51 PM »
Last habitat board I remeber was back around 09 and they were pretty much like element decks with fuller shapes. Big nose short tail with the classic psstix concave

Modern is just regular deep concave bbs full shape

Yeah that PS Stix big wide nose with the board tapering down to a tiny tail was so hot for a minute, some shapes / brands still doing that too.

Funny how many of those are still floating around in that shape, with whatever brand / graphics from the last how ever many years.

When they moved from PS Stix to BBS, they were pretty much all the "normal" popsicle shapes for a while, but then changed to do their own shapes, which as people say are pretty much all full / blunt / big and square.

This was extremely helpful. Thank you for putting the time into that reply.

Easy!

It is more fun for me in my down time doing a little google, cut and paste, etc.

Bottom line, it is skateboarding.  That's my thing.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 05:27:00 PM »
wasn't every board more or less the same exact shape in the early 2000s?

i dont remember boards being as different back then as they are now, everything pretty much felt the same

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 05:40:12 PM »
wasn't every board more or less the same exact shape in the early 2000s?

i dont remember boards being as different back then as they are now, everything pretty much felt the same

There certainly seemed like way less variety with the difference between simple popsicle shape and any other "shaped board" being huge back then, well before any of the brands like Welcome brought back the weirdness (in a good way for those people who like them).

There were popsicles and there were old 80s or similar reissues mostly, with a very minimal niche market for anything else at that time.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 20
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 06:23:43 PM »
Baker

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 08:28:47 PM »
Baker

Safe bet, with the OG/Mellow concave