Author Topic: Kicks  (Read 910 times)

Bill Salt

Kicks
« on: January 26, 2023, 12:49:13 AM »
What are your principles about your skate shoes?Do you wear them all the time?

friendly dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Kicks
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 04:12:14 AM »
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?board=18.0

a whole section of the forum called "Shoes & Gear".
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1195
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 04:20:44 AM »
Whatever makes my calves look cute.  Next question.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 06:10:17 PM »
I wear them skating, sometimes walking, all the time attitude.  8)
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 06:44:02 PM »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 07:03:39 PM »
Do you perfer new or worn in shoes? Second hand for example.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 08:20:36 PM »
thought this was about nose and tail of a board.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 08:35:03 PM »
Skate shoes only when I’m skating is a lesson I wish I learnt in my teens..

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 08:54:23 PM »
Break them in walking/general wear. Skate one pair until it’s done and only then change to the next. Patch the uppers as needed. Shoes are done when there’s a hole in the sole. Only wear them for skating. Wear the pair I’m gonna skate next (or later) other times. I hate new shoes. Shoes start feeling the best for me like 10 sessions before they’re done. Even when the shoes have been well broken in by walking/general wear they’re not usually well enough broken in for skating so the first few sessions will usually be weird.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 10:30:02 PM »
ive been skating cupsoles for so long i dont even know what vulc shoes feel like anymore. Cant imagine not having to spend 2-10 sessions feeling completely awkward and lost on your board before stuff starts feeling normal again

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 10:47:20 PM »
I have a good pair that i only wear at skateparks, and if i'm lucky they can last up to like 6 months. But yeah i don't wear them outside the skatepark, i usually rock up to the skatepark in thongs ha.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 11:05:03 PM »
i only skate in half cabs, i break them in walking and then i dont wear them at all unless im skating. probably why a pair lasts me almost a year after i super glue the stitching on the toe cap.

beepbeep

• Rep: 4
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 09:26:21 AM »
Came here for nose and tail discussion, but I'll share my shoes methodology. I keep two pairs of skate shoes. One that im currently skating with, and one that is my daily casual shoe, since they fit my style anyway. Once I break through the sole on skate pair, I get a new set of dailies and rotate the former dailies to skate duty. This way I start with somewhat broken in shoes for skating, and can rotate my daily shoe style instead of wearing the same shoe style for many years.

Even then, the first few sessions I'll wonder if I can ever skate the new shoes because they feel weird, but by session three they become my new favorite shoe of all time, without fail. Weird mental gymnastics.

Edit: the old skate shoes become garden shoes, try not to waste
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 09:37:24 AM by beepbeep »

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 09:29:33 AM »
i only skate in half cabs, i break them in walking and then i dont wear them at all unless im skating. probably why a pair lasts me almost a year after i super glue the stitching on the toe cap.

Damn how do you get the sole to last that long on a pair of vans? How often do you skate?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

eSK3

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 11:47:45 AM »
I always dress for the occasion. Won’t catch me trying to pass through with some skate shoes to a dress Shoe activity. Shit is tacky asf.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 12:09:16 PM »

But I usually j get shoes that I can use for regular use and don’t skate them for like 3 months before I start and then I get another pair for everyday work use etc also got a pair of Clark’s for dressy occasions. it’s not that organized though rn I have 6 pairs of shoes all various stages of wear n tear
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 12:17:36 PM »
i have pretty big shoe madness right now
i am kinda going between NB# and Vans

Vans actually does stuff for the scene in my area, they are easier to find, sligghtly cleaper, but i slightly like the NB# shoes more. flip tricks feel better in the NB but i feel like my ollies are way better with the vans so theres pros and cons to both for me. feels like vans actually protects the bottom of my feet more than NB if that even makes sense, cause vans was always the thinnest back in the day. its not a huge difference.

i like to have a more worn out sole / shoe for new grip
new shoe for old grip.

I only do like5-10 flip tricks each session nowadays so i dont blow out the sides too much anymore. i can make a shoe last a year but tats cause i am rotating it with like 2-3 other ones.

i have a huge pile of shoes that are pretty blown out but you can skate them i guess so sometimes i like to just setup my 8" Isle board with Ventures and 50mm wheels and do flip tricks on it and wear them out even more. gonna make a habit of doin that more this year to work on my switch flips.

right now i am skating Chima Vans as my main. i have Tyshawn and Foy's that are mostly blown out now and i dont skate em too mcuh anymore but the odd time i set em up, they have tiny bit of life left. since its winter i cant even really break in my shoes much but i have another pair of Foy on deck, and also a pair of half cabs. will likely burn out the Chimas the first half of the season, switch to NB# for the last half of the season and skate the half cabs the following season at which point I probably will have bought another pair or two of new shoes.