Author Topic: Remote Work  (Read 1230 times)

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: Remote Work
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2023, 07:00:40 AM »
those working from home and enjoying it, do you have family home as well by any chance?

I cant get shit done. loved ones forget im trying to be productive

while at the same time say im being distant

but im just trying to focus

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2023, 09:50:37 AM »
Been working from home since the pandemic. It’s cool…I skate more, I play videogames during boring meetings, I don’t have to be strategic on when/where I take shits anymore. The only real negative is I am social and I do miss water cooler shit talking.

Goddamn I do not miss shitting in the work bathroom. I have GI issues and it was awful. Now I’ve got my private bathroom with my bidet and no freaks knocking at the door or grunting while they shit out the last six meals of processed foods they ate.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 09:58:50 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2023, 09:55:33 AM »
I don't want relationships with coworkers and never have, mostly because they are never my age and never into the same things I am. I'm nice and courteous to everyone but I don't care about small talk.

Yeah, I definitely get that people miss seeing coworkers daily, but in my field (tech) it’s mostly just 35 year old dorks in their Rick and Morty t-shirts and khakis. I could never talk with them about video games or Marvel movies so we never had anything in common, anyway.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

thebacker

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2023, 10:02:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Im entry level IT and still looking for a remote or hybrid job because I fucking hate commuting and small talk at the office
[close]
Poast certs fuckboi
[close]

A+, Google IT Support, Net+ in about 2 weeks, Sec+ by end of summer. Then probably AZ-104 and Red Hat Admin.
[close]

Ty, I’m studying for A+ now and was curious re: my chances with entry level help desk stuff. Stay focused king

A+ is a great start! It’ll let you reach out to recruiters to get your first bit of experience and then you can figure out if you wanna stay there or get more specific certs. I got on a windows10 and electronic medical record system upgrade for a local hospital system and ended up getting full time out of it. Like others have said getting that first year or two of experience is super crucial.

thebacker

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2023, 10:04:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Im entry level IT and still looking for a remote or hybrid job because I fucking hate commuting and small talk at the office
[close]
Poast certs fuckboi
[close]

A+, Google IT Support, Net+ in about 2 weeks, Sec+ by end of summer. Then probably AZ-104 and Red Hat Admin.
[close]

Ty, I’m studying for A+ now and was curious re: my chances with entry level help desk stuff. Stay focused king
[close]

what’s hot w/ this. i fuck with computers heavy and i need to not work manual labor anymore

my partner works from home they seem okay with it
@wane brady are you still in Philly? Shoot me a PM and I might be able to help you out.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2023, 11:00:42 AM »
I wish I could work from home more often but my new team couldn't change a lightbulb if their lives depend on it

KBizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2023, 12:43:20 PM »

I don't want relationships with coworkers and never have, mostly because they are never my age and never into the same things I am. I'm nice and courteous to everyone but I don't care about small talk.

Exactly. I'm definitely not at work for friends, literally there to make money and go home.

skate_bored

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2023, 07:00:38 AM »
those working from home and enjoying it, do you have family home as well by any chance?

no family, but my gf and her dog sort of moved in. she works remote and made my guest room into her space with a desk and plants and fragrance equipment. she stays in there all day while i work comfortably from the dining table or couch with the tv on. if shes off work she definitely forgets im working but for the most part it works good. only downside is the dog loves to bark when he hears a woman's voice when im on a zoom meeting ha.

also, somebody mentioned it after my first post but i cannot believe i forgot to list "shitting at home" as a pro. at my office we had 1 single restroom shared by 8 people (men and women). i would walk across the parking lot to the coffee shop to shit just because it was such an odd uncomfortable situation.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2023, 10:49:08 AM »
I work in marketing (brand and soon growth) for a remote only company with >500 employees.

My career for over a decade required me to physically be somewhere. Prior to Covid, I was “hybrid” depending upon production schedules. I’ve been remote ever since Covid started, with a short stint at an employer last year that required me to be in the office 3-4 days a week.

I’ll personally do everything in my power to never go back to an office. I had no idea how nerve racking commuting and small talk was for me until I found the freedom/ peace of working from home. I do tend to go to a coffee shop 2/3 days a week just to reduce cabin fever but, as long as I have headphones and wifi, it works for me.

Where I work, management and executives don’t care about hours worked, and are more focused on positive outcomes with projects. I don’t think this works for people who need structure and can’t independently create it but it’s perfect for me.

There’s also an underlying issue that large companies with big offices tend to be in major cities, where the COL is high and near expensive universities. Employees tend to be affluent or diversity isn’t as deep as, say, hiring someone from the 2nd/3rd world.

A weird thing is this new division in what remote work means, regarding how businesses are starting to require people to be in their home (vs. being a “digital nomad”). I’ve seen a lot of job listings require employees to have a stable remote location, which feels like a layer of unnecessary control by employers, especially when your job requires nothing but OK internet and space to take calls.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2023, 10:59:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

no family, but my gf and her dog sort of moved in. she works remote and made my guest room into her space with a desk and plants and fragrance equipment. she stays in there all day while i work comfortably from the dining table or couch with the tv on. if shes off work she definitely forgets im working but for the most part it works good. only downside is the dog loves to bark when he hears a woman's voice when im on a zoom meeting ha.

also, somebody mentioned it after my first post but i cannot believe i forgot to list "shitting at home" as a pro. at my office we had 1 single restroom shared by 8 people (men and women). i would walk across the parking lot to the coffee shop to shit just because it was such an odd uncomfortable situation.

haha, kinda like the school days where people actually notice youd been in the loo for a bit right? That sounds awesome though, but is your employer of the get back in the office mindset?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.