Author Topic: Tony Hawk Saves Brooklyn Banks?  (Read 5243 times)

coyote2425

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
Tony Hawk Saves Brooklyn Banks?
« on: January 26, 2023, 12:29:47 PM »
The New York Times is reporting the Brooklyn Banks could be saved, and revived, as part of a push from Riley's Dad's Skatepark Project nonprofit, as well as the online petitions over the past few years and a plan for more open space in the area. Mayor Adams is "reviewing" and Gov. Hochul supports.

"If all goes to plan, the skate park will be part of a $160-million, nine-acre area under and around the bridge called Gotham Park, which will not only preserve the Brooklyn Banks but will also feature basketball courts, playgrounds, art installations and a pedestrian boulevard."

Gift linked article (not sure how many times it works): https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/26/nyregion/brooklyn-banks-skateboarding-nyc.html?unlocked_article_code=61a5OkmVB8ArtUigbZzg3Hq4eNJbijcd31TO5yF7e0co5HIMg2ZGnI_S2myoJQ5j7v2nMJObPnBS3ODi02CP9rFi1hzNUK1TkJyyXvSBbvINVBUDS5X-0Lz5eDa3HLiHMwU3CT2jlOKtMnOHZ1TskG2eyIXfYgCgHgjJBu1ByZNyuPW7vJRojHyKKtch6YyM6LGvuTEvw3NmDsq-vcglsA1Rhi4DSbw-g7Fc8TfPIep2n6KJn6Wx5LnrOTws5h4_9HN4ndjb52g01UaicR3DE2QuKP8QSN-L4ou5KB39UI2jKlXMVVHciNg2RL5eejAVxY5dpFgw1OnEAfOmM0wn7slhEwkH9lb63R_q&smid=share-url

Edit: Sorry for the ridiculously long url
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 12:39:31 PM by coyote2425 »

alexander glownig

• Rep: -10
Re: Tony Hawk Saves Brooklyn Banks?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 12:47:41 PM »
would be hot if they remove the gate on top of the barrier. BB is the only place where flyouts are dope.

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 01:50:46 PM »
Such a good news story, Im hyped for this to be real and actually happening.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 06:45:05 PM »
Amazing news. I was visiting NY the week they closed them down. I remember doing a wall ride and thinking that maybe one of the last ones done there as it was fenced of the next day. Happy that was not the case. I hope they revive the small bank as well. Such an epic spot with so much history.

alexander glownig

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 06:46:29 PM »
Amazing news. I was visiting NY the week they closed them down. I remember doing a wall ride and thinking that maybe one of the last ones done there as it was fenced of the next day. Happy that was not the case. I hope they revive the small bank as well. Such an epic spot with so much history.
"every generation wants to be the last" chuck palahniuk

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1435
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 07:13:52 PM »
Oh shit now i have a reason to go to NY finally

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 10:51:35 AM »
It would be great if this happened

It’s funny that the proposal lists new basketball courts and stuff as part of the project. There were already basketball courts over there. I actually haven’t gone back in years so I don’t even know if they’re currently accessible. But overall this should be a pretty easy decision, since most of the facilities are already in place.

That said, Mayor Eric Adams is a total moron, so I won’t get my hopes up too high

dropintopileout

• Rep: -39
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 11:34:07 AM »
That'd be tight

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 01:02:21 PM »
It is fantastic if Tony Hawk can use his celebrity and Skatepark non-profit to get the banks open and legal to skate, but the name of this thread should be "Steve Rodriguez Saves Brooklyn Banks... Again".

I really hope this happens. I feel so privileged that I got to skate there as a teen in the mid90s and would absolutely love to skate there again.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 01:06:13 PM »
they gotta find someone else in these stories to quote other than steve rodriguez, enough is enough
I am more than happy with Steve Rodriguez being the defacto ambassador of skating in NYC, really can’t think of a better representative

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 02:42:13 PM »
Please Mr. Tony Hawk!

I hope this works

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 03:42:54 PM »
Can we have a hut built for Anthony pappalardo to live in as part of the park

nothing's been the since same

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 04:08:21 PM »
they will undoubtedly fuck it up.

it would be cool to see that small banks fully come back in any form though. Did anyone ever ollie that shit from the street into the banks back in the day? That’s about to be the new trashcan from flat for 2024 if that exit (the landing) is even still standing. Ain’t gone down there in a minute there’s really no reason to be down there if you’re not day trading

Free max b
FREE MAX B

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 05:30:09 PM »
It would be great if this happened

It’s funny that the proposal lists new basketball courts and stuff as part of the project. There were already basketball courts over there. I actually haven’t gone back in years so I don’t even know if they’re currently accessible. But overall this should be a pretty easy decision, since most of the facilities are already in place.

That said, Mayor Eric Adams is a total moron, so I won’t get my hopes up too high

it seems like the man is allergic to good will and a positive reputation

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 08:08:16 PM »
Expand Quote
they gotta find someone else in these stories to quote other than steve rodriguez, enough is enough
[close]
I am more than happy with Steve Rodriguez being the defacto ambassador of skating in NYC, really can’t think of a better representative

Steve Rodriguez ruined the fat kid spot and when he ran 5boro he didn't pay his riders so yeah there are other people that might be a better fit

skrilleX3dontdoit

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2023, 08:27:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Steve Rodriguez ruined the fat kid spot and when he ran 5boro he didn't pay his riders so yeah there are other people that might be a better fit
i remember when he first showed up in TWS wearing a suit and doing fs wallrides. he was likely late 20s/early 30s but he seemed so old. now  who would be better? from a skate standpoint, pang, hickey or transplants like zered maybe? i don't know if they'll rock a suit but in lieu of getting interviews and self promotion, they know skating and it'll translate to something good or it won't.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2023, 08:33:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
i remember when he first showed up in TWS wearing a suit and doing fs wallrides. he was likely late 20s/early 30s but he seemed so old. now  who would be better? from a skate standpoint, pang, hickey or transplants like zered maybe? i don't know if they'll rock a suit but in lieu of getting interviews and self promotion, they know skating and it'll translate to something good or it won't.

Alexis Sablone would be my first choice

skrilleX3dontdoit

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2023, 08:48:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Alexis Sablone would be my first choice
she could build skate plazas w/ her architect knowledge

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2023, 09:31:14 PM »
Tas Pappas tried to save it first, but they wouldn’t let him

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2023, 02:25:10 AM »
It is fantastic if Tony Hawk can use his celebrity and Skatepark non-profit to get the banks open and legal to skate, but the name of this thread should be "Steve Rodriguez Saves Brooklyn Banks... Again".

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2023, 04:22:01 AM »
If they want to put a person's name in the new title I think "Harold Hunter" would be universally welcomed and well deserved and a fitting tribute to a true Banks local.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2023, 07:11:57 AM »
If they want to put a person's name in the new title I think "Harold Hunter" would be universally welcomed and well deserved and a fitting tribute to a true Banks local.

and perhaps we memorialize brooklyn’s favorite son with the mark suciu memorial little free library

ryanrockmoran

• Rep: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2023, 08:04:27 AM »

I'm eagerly awaiting the documentary about it

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2023, 08:10:26 AM »
It would be pretty awesome if they just stopped treating it like Area 51 and let people use the space. Are they worried we might mess up the pigeon shit?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1097
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2023, 08:21:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

and perhaps we memorialize brooklyn’s favorite son with the mark suciu memorial little free library

LMAO
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

switchfakie

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2023, 03:23:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

never understood the suciu hate. yeah he has rich people taste, but he never came off as pretentious to me

like the whole back 5-0 back1 out "lacking substance" never came off to me as arrogant like some people on slap feel - everybody has their opinions on tricks, he just used different words than "that trick fuckin sucks man"

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 44
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2023, 03:32:17 PM »
birdman using that Bagel Bite money for useful shit, ya gotta love it

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1214
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2023, 05:59:33 PM »
oh my lord 💀💀💀